PDA

View Full Version : Rumblerumblerumblerumble

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-26, 07:55 PM
Did anyone else in the UK just feel a very minor earthquake-like tremor? Small, but very noticeable tremor here in London.

Aotrs Commander
2008-02-26, 08:01 PM
Did anyone else in the UK just feel a very minor earthquake-like tremor? Small, but very noticeable tremor here in London.

Hell, yes! Enough to shake my monitor. Scared the crap out us (shook even me a bit). Blimey, must have been pretty damn widespread then (I'm up in Derby.)

Our dear friends state-side will probably have a good laugh at us (since they get far worse far more regularly in places), but we don't get 'em very often, so it's kind of unnerving...(Even Liches don't espcially like the thought of stuff falling on our boney heads!)

Quite put me off what I was doing.

Edit: Apparently the epicentre was in Hull and it measured to to 4.7 on the Richer scale. From the sound of the news, we got off lightly; only shaking. No major damage appears to have ben reported, fortunatly.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-26, 08:38 PM
I submit some disturbing evidence to the court -

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3043/picture1py8.png

CLOVERFIELD IS COMING.

Icewalker
2008-02-26, 08:42 PM
I submit some disturbing evidence to the court -

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3043/picture1py8.png

CLOVERFIELD IS COMING.

To London?

...awesome.

:smallwink:

RationalGoblin
2008-02-26, 09:01 PM
Apparently, several days ago, there was a 6.5 earthquake in Nevada. What's up with all the earthquakes?

Also, 4.7? Pssh, wimps. :smalltongue:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-26, 09:14 PM
Apparently, several days ago, there was a 6.5 earthquake in Nevada. What's up with all the earthquakes?

Was that earthquake accompanied by the emergence of the largest seamonster known the man? End of the world, I tell you!

Metal Head
2008-02-26, 09:14 PM
Bah. You should live in California like I used to. You learn not to keep fragile things on shelves. Or anywhere that could result in them falling.

Rogue 7
2008-02-26, 09:41 PM
Speaking as an east coast boy, I've only been in one earthquake. Something like a 5.5 when I was visiting relatives out in San Francisco. Didn't actually feel anything, just heard a big rumble. Those that low don't tend to do much damage.

Vuzzmop
2008-02-26, 10:29 PM
To London?

...awesome.

:smallwink:

I smell a sequel.

Still, when I used to live in Wellington, we had earthquaks all the time. You just get used to them, since nione caused too extensive damage while I was there. In Auckland where I live now thouygh, everyone goes insane when there's even the slightest tremor, and go paranoid about it for days. Its actually kinda funny to listen to.

Aotrs Commander
2008-02-27, 06:18 AM
According to this morning's information, it's gone to up a 5.2, centered in Market Rasen in Lincolnshire...one reported casualty (19-year old guy got hit by some masonry and broke his pelvis). A fair amount of structural damage.

It's top of the news this morning. While on a global scale, 5.2 is pretty small, it's the largest one we've had since 1984 (and it's closer to the centre of the country, so more widely felt; 1984 hit the Lleyn Penisular in North Wales).

It's choffing freaky when you're not used to it, that's all I can say. It's about as unexpected as the Queen suddenly walking up to you in the street and slapping you in the face with a wet kipper, Gordon Brown stripping naked and dancing a merry jig at a news conference, finding a small nuclear submarine in your cup of tea or being brutally savaged by a white shark out of your fish and chips. It's just Not Done.

Even more scary when you think the buildings in the UK just aren't earthquake proof and we don't even have an earthquake safety drill to my knowledge (why would we?) Granted, it's quite unlikely a really big one would hit us (biggest ever was a 6.1 that struck 75 off Great Yarmouth in the North Sea) but it's quite disconcerting to say the least.

SoD
2008-02-27, 06:25 AM
Being a Taswegian by origin, I have been in a single earthquake of reasonable size. I didn't even know it until it was in the Mercury (state newspaper, for those unfamiliar with Tasmania! :smalltongue: ). Rather dissapointing, really.

Mind you, I think I'd prefur that to a massive full scale one... :smalleek:

Dihan
2008-02-27, 06:26 AM
Lleyn Peninsula? How dare you English people muck up our beautiful language!

... It's Llŷn Peninsula :smalltongue:

Anyway, I was asleep so I missed it all. :smallsigh:

Almighty Salmon
2008-02-27, 06:28 AM
I felt it in Northampton last night, the chair I was sitting on started wobbling like crazy. My first earthquake, it was exciting! :smallwink:

Glaivemaster
2008-02-27, 06:30 AM
Ha. Finally, proof that not even an earthquake could wake me. :smalltongue: Honestly, I felt nothing, which is a bit of a shame. I always miss out on the cool stuff :smallfrown:

Aotrs Commander
2008-02-27, 06:33 AM
Lleyn Peninsula? How dare you English people muck up our beautiful language!

... It's Llŷn Peninsula :smalltongue:

Anyway, I was asleep so I missed it all. :smallsigh:

Blame the BBC website...

(If it's any consolation, I probably would at least pronounce it approximately right!)

I'm da Rogue!
2008-02-27, 07:26 AM
Hey! Stop stealing my earthquakes!:smallannoyed:
After all, you guys are not supposed to have any.

God, I hate thieves.

unstattedCommoner
2008-02-27, 07:32 AM
I felt nothing.

Mordokai
2008-02-27, 07:40 AM
Hey! Stop stealing my earthquakes!:smallannoyed:
After all, you guys are not supposed to have any.

God, I hate thieves.

Oh, the irony! 'Tis so thick you could almost cut it with a knife :smalltongue:

Castaras
2008-02-27, 08:28 AM
I didn't feel anything. Although I was sleeping at the time.

Quite a few of the kids in my class felt it though.

Trog
2008-02-27, 09:30 AM
Rumbling? Quick! Check for secret doors!

*begins feeling up female statues*

Hey. It worked for Indy.

Studoku
2008-02-27, 09:38 AM
I felt it. It made a poster fall down.

I'm really glad I tidied my bookcase a few weeks ago. It had a large number of precariously balanced PC games on it that have fallen on people before.

Exachix
2008-02-27, 09:42 AM
Heh.

Missed it all.. =(. Don't even think anything in my room changed...

Ranna
2008-02-27, 10:37 AM
Its on the news now, epicentre was in lincolnshire lots of funny. "i thought i was going to die" comments on bbc news haha silly sensationalists.

I however woke up due to it and rationally, as you do, thought "oh my a lorry must be reversing into the house" - nope im not sure where such a stupid thought originated from either..I do puzzle myself sometimes :D

Rogue 7
2008-02-27, 03:16 PM
Nah, that's not so strange. When my mom moved out to California, she was living with some friends, and woke up in the middle of the night to a strange rumbling. She thought it was a truck, but was informed later (or possibly at that moment) that it was an earthquake. No one really cared, because of how often they have them in California.

Lyesmith
2008-02-27, 03:17 PM
I also slept through it.
zzzzz...

onasuma
2008-02-27, 03:44 PM
Fact: I slept through it. My sister, coincidentaly was up at 1, and got the day off school by saying it scared her and moaning a bit.

Also, it was a 5.2. Nah to you. Also a 4.3, a 4.7. God i cant be bothered to go through more websites.

Shraik
2008-02-27, 04:23 PM
I've never been in a earthquake. Don't plan to be in an earthquake. Actually, where I live I don't even think thats possible

sktarq
2008-02-27, 04:33 PM
According to the paper this morning England has nearly 200 earthquakes annually. Now that's less than what we every week here in SoCal. 5.2 is pretty respectable if that's what it comes to be. Especially if it is rather shallow.
As for buildings falling down. Most American construction scared me for years being a California raised kid with an engineering bent. And think about all those old buildings you have that are just fine hundreds of years after they have been built-even if your eathquakes are rare they can't be that bad or you'd have no castles anymore.

@ Shraik where do you live that you think tremors are impossible? The Grain Plains might not seem like a dangerous spot for example but some very large if rare earthquakes have been noted there. Same with a fault they found under NYC. and 8.1 then nothing a 7.5 then nothing for a few centuries another 8 and we are slightly overdue for a 6+ tremblor to hit NYC if the average holds. :smalltongue: :smallyuk:

Zombie pixe
2008-02-27, 04:48 PM
i slept right through it. so did my entire family. it was really nothing special :smallannoyed:

LightWraith
2008-02-27, 05:17 PM
I live on the New Madrid fault.

Apparently we're due for another quake like the one that temporarily reversed the flow of the Mississippi River. Really hoping I'm not around for that. (As in moved away, not dead....)

My University has a rather sophisticated earthquake research center for pretty much exactly that purpose.

I think we've only had one noticeable quake the whole time I've lived here... and I think I might have slept through that one.

Blayze
2008-02-27, 06:08 PM
The entire family was awake to experience our first earthquake as a family. What joy. I was brushing my teeth at the time, and felt nothing. I heard it, though. Sounded like dad had fallen off his chair, or at least that's what I sarcastically told myself. Then it continued, and I knew something was up.

Drove Rachel nuts. "Mam, get in here! Get in here, mam!" Sigh. She tries to be tough, but she's really a wuss.