PDA

View Full Version : Missing a detail [Possible SOD spoilers]

TheRiov
2008-02-27, 12:56 PM
Didnt see this particular issue brought up anywhere (though I freely admit I might have missed it)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html

Roy specifically states that Master Fyron and His son were killed by Xykon.

SOD shows us that scene where Fyron is killed, but Xykon departs immediatly thereafter, furthermore Fyron is trying to resolve the situation peacefully when Eugene gets there--one assumes that Fyron's son hadn't been killed immediatly before.
So where is this son of Fyron Pucebuckle and when/where did Xykon kill him

Gilthans
2008-02-27, 01:17 PM
That's... actually a pretty valid point. I can't recall any reference to Fyron's son on SoD, and I'm actually pretty certain that it was mentioned once before (maybe in one of Eugene's ghost visits or on the first battle with Xykon).

Granted, he could have killed Fyron's son AFTER killing his father. You know... sort of an Inigo Montoya story, only with Count Rugen winning.

NerfTW
2008-02-27, 01:49 PM
Notice how non-chalant Eugene is about Fyron's death? He only screams "NO!" when the corpse is made into a zombie, preventing a ressurection.

Fryon is probably the same way. He doesn't care, because he's rich and can just bring him back to life. In fact, only the melee characters (not counting Belkar) seem to care when someone dies.

teratorn
2008-02-27, 02:30 PM
Didnt see this particular issue brought up anywhere (though I freely admit I might have missed it)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html

Roy specifically states that Master Fyron and His son were killed by Xykon.

It is also said in #110 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html).

We discussed this a long time ago in one of the SOD threads. If it were only for #110 one could argue for continuity error, #434 invalidates that point.

My guess is that it was done on purpose, to hint that Eugene added that to the story for dramatic impact. Eugene is not very faithful about the events he talks about, remember the story on how he met Roy's mother. But he could also have killed Fyron's son before or after killing his father.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-27, 02:37 PM
That is a ood point. I assumed his son was killed later, but I thought it was odd that he wasn;t mentioned (besides, spending 5000 GPs (at least) with the person being brought back losing a level (or Con if they were only level 1) really wouldn't be something that I'd expect most people to not be upset about, even if they are rich).

FujinAkari
2008-02-27, 02:37 PM
This is a good point, and has been discussed to some degree previously. There are three possible explainations:

1) Roy was wrong about the son part, either misremembering or misunderstanding what Eugene had said (not impossible, especially as SoD doesn't mention Fyron even -having- a son).

2) Xykon killed Fyron's son before Eugene arrived. ((Plausible, but doubtful... Fyron doesn't seem upset enough to have lost his son, although it is possible he was unaware)

3) Fyron's son tried to hunt Xykon down and got killed doing it, and so wasn't killed the same night. ((The best theory imho, as it works with "why kill Master Fyron and his son for it?" and seems just trixy enough to be a Rich-esque play on words))

Edit: Bah, #110 makes #3 impossible... darn it... I liked that theory!

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-27, 05:13 PM
Maybe Fyron's son was killed in some other way, I don't see Roy saying his son was killed.

FujinAkari
2008-02-27, 05:24 PM
Maybe Fyron's son was killed in some other way, I don't see Roy saying his son was killed.

He says it in #110

Nathan W
2008-02-27, 11:02 PM
isn't Freon the stuff in refrigarators?:confused:

VanBuren
2008-02-27, 11:06 PM
This is a good point, and has been discussed to some degree previously. There are three possible explainations:

1) Roy was wrong about the son part, either misremembering or misunderstanding what Eugene had said (not impossible, especially as SoD doesn't mention Fyron even -having- a son).

2) Xykon killed Fyron's son before Eugene arrived. ((Plausible, but doubtful... Fyron doesn't seem upset enough to have lost his son, although it is possible he was unaware)

3) Fyron's son tried to hunt Xykon down and got killed doing it, and so wasn't killed the same night. ((The best theory imho, as it works with "why kill Master Fyron and his son for it?" and seems just trixy enough to be a Rich-esque play on words))

Edit: Bah, #110 makes #3 impossible... darn it... I liked that theory!

Perhaps Horace isn't really Eugene's grandfather.

mockingbyrd7
2008-02-28, 03:40 PM
Perhaps Horace isn't really Eugene's grandfather.

Right. After all, Horace is also Roy's grandfather, and someone can't be both a brother and a father to someone without going into Greek tragedies.

[/nitpick]

(For those who didn't get it, Horace is Eugene's father, not his grandfather.)

FujinAkari
2008-02-28, 03:43 PM
Right. After all, Horace is also Roy's grandfather, and someone can't be both a brother and a father to someone without going into Greek tragedies.

Or the Deep South

VanBuren
2008-02-28, 06:15 PM

[/nitpick]

(For those who didn't get it, Horace is Eugene's father, not his grandfather.)

You ever have moments where you're thinking of posting two different and equally valid sentences, and then before you know it you've merged them into one invalid statement for the world to see?

'Cuz that was one of them.

Let's try this again. "Perhaps Horace isn't really Eugene's father or Roy's grandfather at all."

Kish
2008-02-28, 06:49 PM
isn't Freon the stuff in refrigarators?:confused:
Yes. Relevance? Freon=/=Fyron; you're the first person in this thread to have brought up freon.