PDA

View Full Version : Making Magic Items From Scratch

Ranis
2008-02-27, 02:05 PM
My buddy and I have ran into a problem of sorts. Prices for many of the specific items in the MIC simply don't match up to the rules for making magic items in the DMG. Are there expanded rules somewhere that we're not looking? Are the instructions for making items in the DMG obselete?

Seriously, even the simplest 500G magic items in the MIC would cost around 2K according to the DMG. Please help!

Mr. Friendly
2008-02-27, 02:10 PM
My buddy and I have ran into a problem of sorts. Prices for many of the specific items in the MIC simply don't match up to the rules for making magic items in the DMG. Are there expanded rules somewhere that we're not looking? Are the instructions for making items in the DMG obselete?

Seriously, even the simplest 500G magic items in the MIC would cost around 2K according to the DMG. Please help!

Are you sure you are factoring in limited numbers of uses and what not?

Kioran
2008-02-27, 02:18 PM
Are you sure you are factoring in limited numbers of uses and what not?

He is. Some of them fit, or are, like the "Eternal Wands" even more limited than an equal guideline item. Others have no precedent or spell they are based on. Others have, but they donīt match.

This is mainly due to:

All magic items available will always be compared to the big six (stat boosters, Ring of Protection, Cloak of resistance, magic armor, magic weapon and XY) or other useful items like the ring of freedom of movement. In order to have any chance of PCs actually wanting or buying them, they need to be sexy, and in addition, at least as cost efficient as the alternatives. Many items didnīt cut it at the price the would have had according to the guidelines

While correct in principle, they got it wrong in the execution and overdid it, but I digress.......

Ranis
2008-02-27, 02:19 PM
Yes, and it's still not coming up even. About the same, really.

Even the Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, it's 500g in the PHB and we come up to 2K.