PDA

View Full Version : Why USC Doesn't Teach Magic

alchemyprime
2008-02-27, 02:41 PM
Sorry, I had to give it a title like that.

Here's the deal:

I want all of you to stop thinking seriously about spells. Become Belkar for a minute. Either devise a new spell that every man would want, or think of good uses for existing spells.

My examples:

Online I found a spell. It was Sor/Wiz3, Clr2, Conjuration(creation), VS, 1 standard action. It created a boquet of flowers, a card, and a box of one dozen choclate toffees. However, one chocolate was filled with nasty stuff, like earwax (Dumbledore's luck with Every Flavor Beans), there is a 75% chance that the flowers are either silk (50%) or taken from the recipient's garden (25%) and there is a 75% chance that the card is for the wrong type of anniversary ("Happy 40th Birthday" for a 2nd Wedding Aniversary?)

Also, I wish I had Polymorph Any Object (forget errata for now). Even 1/day as a SLA. I'd prefer at will though:smalltongue:
Because I figure it this way. Instant plastic surgery. If a girl doesn't like how you look, become the man of her dreams. Order a glass of water and make an appletini. Girlfriend aint as endowed as you wish? Well now she is. Jerky guy trying to mess with you? Make him into a squirel and punt him. No one would mess with you.

Plus you can turn water into gasoline!

Any other fun, real world applications for D&D spells? Or fun homebrew spells?

AKA_Bait
2008-02-27, 02:48 PM
I would pay nearly any amount of money for Prestidigation as an at will SLA.

Toliudar
2008-02-27, 02:49 PM
I think about the amount of time and money we'd save, just with access to prestidigitation. My clothes are clean, I'm clean, my soup tastes great, and my shirt is exactly the right colour. What is no to love?

And for the bits of housework that this doesn't already take care of, there's unseen servant.

I guess I have very simple needs. Sure, at-will polymorph would be great, but I'd be plenty happy with an array of first level spells.

bugsysservant
2008-02-27, 02:51 PM
I would KILL for Scholar's touch. It lets you read a book by touching it. Seriously, reading one book, regardless of size, in six seconds. *drool...*

Not really a new use, but still, you have to admit that you want it.

SamTheCleric
2008-02-27, 02:51 PM
Comp Languages for when I'm on the phone with Dell tech support... o_o

Ganurath
2008-02-27, 02:55 PM
To be a first level Wizard with the following starting spells would make things easy in real life:

Unseen Servant- For above reasons.
Scholar's Touch- For above reasons.
Instant Search- Found the keys!
Master's Touch- Who needs a driver's license?
Low-Light Vision- I can stay up on the computer as late as I want!

Also, Mending wins.

Duke of URL
2008-02-27, 02:58 PM
Honestly, just give me the list of core Bard 0th level spells (real-world applicable and without a target) and a reasonable number of spells/day, and I'd be happy.

* Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
* Daze: Humanoid creature of 4 HD or less loses next action.
* Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
* Flare: Dazzles one creature (-1 on attack rolls).
* Ghost Sound: Figment sounds.
* Know Direction: You discern north.
* Light: Object shines like a torch.
* Lullaby: Makes subject drowsy; -5 on Spot and Listen checks, -2 on Will saves against sleep. (keeping this one for the kids...)
* Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
* Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
* Open/Close: Opens or closes small or light things.
* Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.
* Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
* Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
* Summon Instrument: Summons one instrument of the caster’s choice.

Telonius
2008-02-27, 03:21 PM
Charm Person would probably be among the most useful in real life.

Plant Growth would be nice. Get some capital together, buy a farm, and rake in the profits.

Scrying could make me instantly very popular within the government.

EDIT: Oh yes, one of two for me personally. Remove Blindness/Deafness or Regenerate.

Kurobara
2008-02-27, 03:42 PM
Comp Languages for when I'm on the phone with Dell tech support... o_o

Except Comprehend Languages requires you to touch the speaker. I think what you really need is Tongues. :smalltongue:

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-27, 03:49 PM
Except Comprehend Languages requires you to touch the speaker.

Wouldn't you just have to hold the top of the handset then? :smalltongue:

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-27, 03:50 PM
I agree, charm person and prestidigitation would definitely be two of the most useful spells in the real world.

Some others:
Tenser's Floating Disk
Feather Fall
Create Water
Cure Minor Wounds (in a world where few people have more than 3 or 4 HP...)

Mewtarthio
2008-02-27, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't you just have to hold the top of the handset then? :smalltongue:

You know, I think d20 Modern has a class that can cast spells through telephone lines and over the internet. "Is this Seargent Shaw? Seargent Raymond Shaw? Raymond Prentice Shaw?"

Not that I'd abuse dominate person to install a puppet candidate in the White House to further my evil aims myself, of course...

In all seriousness, I'd prefer to have psionics over spells. Why? Because nobody knows when you're manifesting a power. Let's face it, charm person is kind of useless, even as an at-will SLA: You wave your hands around and shout gibberish, and maybe one person treats you like a friend (or else they feel a weird presence in their mind, but shake it off) while everyone else calls the police. Psionic charm is better, since nobody would notice you subverting everyone in the room. Psionic suggestion is also good, since nobody would be able to trace the unusual actions back to you.

Unfortunately, I can't trust myself not to use that power for evil. I'd stick with psionic teleport, telekinetic force, and form of doom. And attraction. That's got less "become the master in the center of a web of a thousand thralls" abuse potential, plus you'd be an amazing salesperson.

ColdBrew
2008-02-27, 04:44 PM
In all seriousness, I'd prefer to have psionics over spells. Why? Because nobody knows when you're manifesting a power.
Everyone ignores the displays: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#display

NEO|Phyte
2008-02-27, 04:49 PM
Any manifester worth their psionic focus will suppress the display.

Mewtarthio
2008-02-27, 04:50 PM
Everyone ignores the displays: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#display

That's because the Concentration check to ignore the display is pretty easy (plus you've got psionic focus to make it virtually automatic). Besides, most telepathic powers have a Mental display, which people won't recognize. Really, people won't notice anything strange unless you manifest a Visual or Material display.

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-27, 05:01 PM
That's because the Concentration check to ignore the display is pretty easy (plus you've got psionic focus to make it virtually automatic). Besides, most telepathic powers have a Mental display, which people won't recognize. Really, people won't notice anything strange unless you manifest a Visual or Material display.

And sometimes even then they won't notice. I have to agree that I prefer psionics. Though I could live with 1/day Programmed Amnesia :smalltongue:, but Greater Teleport or even Dimension Door would be extremely useful, Jumper anyone?

Mewtarthio
2008-02-27, 05:22 PM
I just though of another important psionic power: remote viewing. It's just like scrying, except you can cast low-level powers through the "sensor." Couple this with things like psionic suggestion, aversion, and attraction, and the uses are obvious. The only downside is that it costs 20 XP to use, and the session ends once you channel the power.

Still, if it's a PLA, it's obscenely good. Note that the President of the United States often goes on the campaign trail. With psionic powers, you can easily manipulate yourself into meeting him firsthand, and his likeness is easy to acquire. Keep track of all important bills that are about to hit his desk, and you can control what he vetoes and what he passes. If you can get in multiple remote viewing sessions per day, you can also control the votes of key senators. And Supreme Court Justices. Ever wanted to run the US govermnent from the privacy of your own home? :smallamused:

Maerok
2008-02-27, 05:37 PM
Suggestion. I love that spell. Also, fireball!

Newtkeeper
2008-02-27, 05:40 PM
I just though of another important psionic power: remote viewing. It's just like scrying, except you can cast low-level powers through the "sensor." Couple this with things like psionic suggestion, aversion, and attraction, and the uses are obvious. The only downside is that it costs 20 XP to use, and the session ends once you channel the power.

Still, if it's a PLA, it's obscenely good. Note that the President of the United States often goes on the campaign trail. With psionic powers, you can easily manipulate yourself into meeting him firsthand, and his likeness is easy to acquire. Keep track of all important bills that are about to hit his desk, and you can control what he vetoes and what he passes. If you can get in multiple remote viewing sessions per day, you can also control the votes of key senators. And Supreme Court Justices. Ever wanted to run the US govermnent from the privacy of your own home? :smallamused:

It would be nice, except that, per d20, I'm a low-level character. 20xp per casting adds up after a while. Although I suppose ruling a nation by proxy might be worth some bonus XP, so it might cancel out.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-02-27, 05:45 PM
Either devise a new spell that every man would want

Summon Dominated Changelings IX?

Hey, you said to become Belkar.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-02-27, 05:46 PM
Suggestion or Psionic Suggestion. It's the Jedi Mind Trick of D&D. And Jedi Mind Trick is excellent and hilarious.

batsofchaos
2008-02-27, 05:47 PM
Fly, burning hands, fireball, and meteor swarm. I would be a flying avatar of burning death.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 06:25 PM
Just get me a nice Major Image.
Endless entertainment, and I may as well have all the evoctions in the world as far as security is concerned.

Or one of most enchantments. Suggestion would be nice.

But most of all, I'd want Geas.

Chronos
2008-02-27, 06:32 PM
Suggestion or Psionic Suggestion. It's the Jedi Mind Trick of D&D.Actually, I think that Glibness is the Jedi Mind Trick. But Suggestion is close.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 06:40 PM
Glibness would be sweet too.
"You diddn't see anything."
Even with the ridiculous modifier for beign ridiculous, a well trained liar with a glibness effect...

Frosty
2008-02-27, 06:46 PM
How about Bigby's Groping Hand?

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-27, 06:47 PM
Summon Bunny Grenade. It appears for all purposes to be a normal bunny, but when you tug on it's ears it stops moving and little numbers start counting down on it's eyes. When it reaches 0, it blows up.

You are supposed to throw it before the time is up.

Hat of squirrels. Tip the hat and swarms of Squirrels pour out.

The greater version produces Squirrels which ask why such an item was created, and then all proceed to play games of chess with each other (they are created with little chess sets)

Summon Evil Mime. It calls a mime from somewhere, and it does all the stupid Mime stuff, but it's vaguely sinister.

Vaguely Sinister Aura. Cast to give anything a vaguely sinister aura. Otherwise does nothing.

Exploding Snakes. Somewhat similar to Bunny Grenade Summoning, this shoots a snake, which explodes on contact.

Elaborate Heavy Metal Musical Number. A large number of random monsters come into existence, some of whom form the band and have enough equipment for a large concert. All other monsters summoned proceed to do generally heavy metalish stuff like dance, fight, and warp wildly as if they were a halucination.

Distraction. A distraction is created.

Grandfather Paradox. This spell kills your grandfather back before your father was born.

Grandmother Paradox. This spell kills a random bunny grenade. This can also be used to kill an exploding snake if it is cast before it strikes a target.

Obscurity. This spell does something, but you don't have the background to know what. What obscure thing happens is based on the caster, so it may do different obscure things for casters of different backgrounds.

Summon Tea Drinkers. Some Tea Drinkers are called into existence. There is a 10% chance that at least one of them doesn't actually like tea and was just pulled from somewhere at random. Otherwise they'll be very confused as to why they suddenly appeared, but otherwise drink some tea that also comes into existence when this spell is cast.

Greater Depression. The target feels really sad. Also, this spell kills something cute and puts the body right in front of the target.

One too many cats. This spell creates one more cats then are needed for the task at hand.

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-27, 06:47 PM
Also, I wish I had Polymorph Any Object (forget errata for now). Even 1/day as a SLA. I'd prefer at will though:smalltongue:
Because I figure it this way. Instant plastic surgery. If a girl doesn't like how you look, become the man of her dreams. Order a glass of water and make an appletini. Girlfriend aint as endowed as you wish? Well now she is. Jerky guy trying to mess with you? Make him into a squirel and punt him. No one would mess with you.

I dunno.. it always seems a little desperate if you want to permanently physically alter yourself to win someone's love, because they don't love you for who you actually are. So I suggest Mind Rape as an SLA at will! It never wears off, and you can keep as many fanatically and suicidally devoted followers as you have rounds to cast it in. And each an every one of them will love you for the mind-taking mega tyrant that you are!

Works pretty well for punishment purposes too! Just give that jerk an overwhelming compulsion to eat nothing but cockroaches or something yucky for the rest of his life. Many other punishments are possible as well, the sky is the limit.

Wait, that idea seems a lot worse for some reason... this is probably why that spell is in the Book of Vile Darkness, huh? :smallamused:

Collin152
2008-02-27, 06:52 PM
I dunno.. it always seems a little desperate if you want to permanently physically alter yourself to win someone's love, because they don't love you for who you actually are. So I suggest Mind Rape as an SLA at will! It never wears off, and you can keep as many fanatically and suicidally devoted followers as you have rounds to cast it in. And each an every one of them will love you for the mind-taking mega tyrant that you are!

Works pretty well for punishment purposes too! Just give that jerk an overwhelming compulsion to eat nothing but cockroaches or something yucky for the rest of his life. Many other punishments are possible as well, the sky is the limit.

Wait, that idea seems a lot worse for some reason... this is probably why that spell is in the Book of Vile Darkness, huh? :smallamused:

I changed my mind. I'd sell my entire family tree into slavery for Mindrape as an at will SLA.
Think of all the thigns you could do. No mortal could stand against you. You could commit crime sprees by proxy. Robberies not so much, but mass murdering, sure.
I could get anywhere, make anybody my slave...
I'd probably get my family back from slavery, at that point. Maybe make them forget that ordeal, too.

Vexxation
2008-02-27, 06:58 PM
One too many cats. This spell creates one more cats then are needed for the task at hand.

That's a great spell for ending World Hunger! Just make sure, "feeding everybody" is your task, and BAM! 10 billion cats.

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-27, 07:00 PM
That's a great spell for ending World Hunger! Just make sure, "feeding everybody" is your task, and BAM! 10 billion cats.

Although technically solving world hunger brings with it a bunch of complicated issues and it may well unbalance things... that's a pretty bad argument to make considering some of those other spells. Still, I suppose there should be some sort of limit to "the task".

Frosty
2008-02-27, 07:05 PM
Actually, I just realized...we need Summon Prinnie IX

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-27, 07:15 PM

I dunno.. the way the spell is worded, it might end up summoning 100 trillion and 1 cats, just enough +1 to crush everyone to death and make feeding them all no longer an issue. The spell is practically begging to be used as a 'monkey paw' wishing spell.

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-02-27, 07:18 PM
From the big spells, except for Wish, Shapechange is the single most useful.

1) Change into a Solar and pretend to be sent by deity X
2) Change into an incorporeal being and rob nearest bank
3) Change into a fine flying being, get into the White House or similar government building, change to Balor. Kill stuff. Change to incorporeal being and flee.
4) Change into a giant flying space monkey (or anything with space-flight capabilities such as most incorporeal undead). Eat some military sattelites.
5) Change into a war-troll and pretend to be The Hulk.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-27, 07:19 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Wish. Ultimate SLA pwnzorzizing is TOO good.

And for even MORE RLbreakingness, Gate. Gate Solars to grant you wishes and the like, and have fun.

SurlySeraph
2008-02-27, 07:19 PM
I changed my mind. I'd sell my entire family tree into slavery for Mindrape as an at will SLA.
Think of all the thigns you could do. No mortal could stand against you. You could commit crime sprees by proxy. Robberies not so much, but mass murdering, sure.
I could get anywhere, make anybody my slave...
I'd probably get my family back from slavery, at that point. Maybe make them forget that ordeal, too.

Now I want Protection from Evil as an at-will SLA. Also Holy Smite. And Order's Wrath.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 07:31 PM
Now I want Protection from Evil as an at-will SLA. Also Holy Smite. And Order's Wrath.

So I'm Chaotic Evil now?
I used to be lawful neutral, you know.
Besides, fat lot of good Protection fro mEvil will do you when everybody you know's been mindraped. Maybe I'll just make them forget you, maybe you'll be their worst enemy.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-27, 07:33 PM
Cue Reality Revision, summoning Solar and Titans, and major asskickery.

And maybe Tensers Transformation to join the party.

Mewtarthio
2008-02-27, 07:35 PM
It's cheating to give yourself a ninth-level spell as an at-will SLA. Besides, my scry-'n'-suggest trick is much cooler. Nyeah. :smalltongue:

Side note: If you ran around mindraping everyone, eventually someone would catch on and kill you with stealth. Or with a missile, if you end up too dangerous.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-27, 07:39 PM
Or, borrowing from the most famous mindrape I know of, get impaled by a remake of Religion's most famous reach weapon.

I think I'll have to clean myself. I accidentally filled that with subtext.

Hal
2008-02-27, 07:40 PM
In all seriousness, I'd prefer to have psionics over spells. Why? Because nobody knows when you're manifesting a power. Let's face it, charm person is kind of useless, even as an at-will SLA: You wave your hands around and shout gibberish, and maybe one person treats you like a friend (or else they feel a weird presence in their mind, but shake it off) while everyone else calls the police. Psionic charm is better, since nobody would notice you subverting everyone in the room. Psionic suggestion is also good, since nobody would be able to trace the unusual actions back to you.

SLAs do not require verbal or somatic components (don't remember about material).

I've got to admit, my ambitions are too small on this. I'd just take Cheat (Reroll on a game of chance) and hit up the Casinos. Why not accumulate obscene wealth?

Collin152
2008-02-27, 07:46 PM
It's cheating to give yourself a ninth-level spell as an at-will SLA. Besides, my scry-'n'-suggest trick is much cooler. Nyeah. :smalltongue:

Side note: If you ran around mindraping everyone, eventually someone would catch on and kill you with stealth. Or with a missile, if you end up too dangerous.

At that point it becomes like Death Note.
First, they have to know it's me. Good luck finding a trail when I'm using magic.
Second, if I go public with my mindraping, stealth will becoem very difficult. And if I catch you, I now have my very own assasin.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-27, 07:49 PM
The odd thing is that MkUltra and MkReseach replicated Mindrape, though it required extraordinary wealth.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 07:58 PM
Hm. I could even replicate the LSD and drive my victims insane.
Too bad I can't leave trigger-able effects like in Programmed Amnesia.
But then, I'm the villain in this story, it seems. I'll just get new minions.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-27, 08:09 PM
Wait. If you're the villain, we need an Ace, a Comic Relief, a Hero, a Marty Stu, a Love interest, and some kind of loli for the lulz.

I don't even want to think about who will fill which position. Though I nominate the great poster Solo as the competent but cynic unintentionally funny and noir hero.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 08:16 PM
You took the second paragraph out of my mind.
That's my job!

Oh, we summon you, great and noble Solo, answer our plea and give your answer! What will be your weapon in the slaying of this great evil!

UglyPanda
2008-02-27, 08:17 PM
I'd kill for tongues, comprehend languages, and speak with dead at will. With tongues, I can watch television from any country, comprehend languages would let me read untranslated manga, and speak with dead would make me enough money to buy every DVD in the world. Seriously, how much money would I get for figuring out if Oswald really did it?

Mewtarthio
2008-02-27, 08:17 PM
Wait. If you're the villain, we need an Ace, a Comic Relief, a Hero, a Marty Stu, a Love interest, and some kind of loli for the lulz.

*disdainful forehead-grasping maneuver*

No, no, no, that's all wrong. You need a Hero, a Lancer, a Chick, a Smart Guy, and a Big Guy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FiveManBand). And maybe a Sixth Ranger, but nobody cares about those.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 08:19 PM
*disdainful forehead-grasping maneuver*

No, no, no, that's all wrong. You need a Hero, a Lancer, a Chick, a Smart Guy, and a Big Guy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FiveManBand). And maybe a Sixth Ranger, but nobody cares about those.

Do I qualify for Draco in Leather Pants?

ForzaFiori
2008-02-27, 08:23 PM
Tongues, Prestidigitation, Alter Self (don't really need polymorph), expeditious retreat (w00t for winning every XC race i run) and maybe suggestion.

i dont need that much, just some low level spells.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 08:26 PM
Seems a lot of people like Tongues.
Are there really that many scenarios where you wish you were fluent in some other language?
Well, I guess when they do come up...
But that's what Mindrape is for! If Imindrape you, I get everything in that noggin of yours, including all your languages. If not, what you were aying, at least.

FlyMolo
2008-02-27, 08:29 PM
I would pay lots of money for tentacles and a permanencied breathe undewater. I don't even know if you can, but damn, it would be cool.

Bauglir
2008-02-27, 08:40 PM
I agree with Mindrape. That would be so much fun.

Alternatively, Summon Meal IX. The most delicious imaginable meal, and it doesn't matter how unhealthy it is, because it disappears when the duration wears out! Although you'll still want a Call Meal spell for those days you get trapped in the desert... Actually, Polymorph Any Object would do it. And if you could talk the deities into granting it as an immediate action, think of the fun times. "Someone's launching a nuke at me to stop my reign of terror? Here, I'll just transform this rock into a lump of adamantine with a few charges of anti-osmium on the bottom to propel it into the weapon."

Collin152
2008-02-27, 08:51 PM
Heroes Feast could be nice now and again.

Moff Chumley
2008-02-27, 08:59 PM

I don't even want to think about who will fill which position. Though I nominate the great poster Solo as the competent but cynic unintentionally funny and noir hero.

Ooh, Ooh, can I be Marty Stu? :wink:

Well, wish at will pretty much wins. However, Shapechange+Mindrape=religion founding time!

And USC doesn't teach magic because they suck. :yuk:

puppyavenger
2008-02-27, 09:01 PM
pao, so I never die from old age, sickness, non-instanly fatal wounds etc., I would then get around to being worshipped and conquering the world., mind rape or programed amnesia would be a nice bounus.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 09:09 PM
Does PAO work that way?
It's duration is Permanent, not Instantaneous, after all. I doubt you could cheat death with it.
It'd still be wicked to have, of course.

[FLUX]
2008-02-27, 09:21 PM
Is there a limit to how many spells I get, other than my reasonableness?

Great Stuff That Exists in SRD That I Need:
-Clone (Obvious applications; alternately, something like Stoneskin, Telekinetic Sphere, etc. that gives me Damage Reduction in large amounts)
-Control Weather ("Why yes, it is a nice day. You're welcome.")
-Some combination of the Illusion spells, i.e. Permanent Illusion and Mirage Arcana (There's nothing you CAN'T do with illusions, though I'd like a side of Eschew Materials with it so I don't have to buy powdered jade every time I cast Perm Illusion)
-Meteor Swarm and or Greater Shout (Again, obvious applications)

Randel
2008-02-27, 09:28 PM
1. Make Whole/Mending: With this as a spell-like ability I could fix almost anything and make lots of money. Though I might want to get Repair X Damage in case computers are considered a construct.

2. Create Food and Water: No need to shop for food anymore. Might want prestidigitation as well to flavor it.

3. Read thoughts (psionic): Like detect thoughts except you are more likely to get something other than "Who's that weirdo waving his hands at me and babbling nonsense words?" Learn what people are thinking, not sure if this works past language barriers.

4. Fabricate: make whatever you have the skill to do so... if all else fails, go to a garbage dump and fabricate garbage into nice little bars of raw material for manufacturing.

5. Mount: Get a pony or horse to ride whenever you want, no need to feed or house it.

6. Major Image (or any of the lesser illusions): have loads of fun.

7. Summon Marked Homunculus (though it needs a dragonmark of making): summon a homunculus to make stuff, sneak around or spy on things from above.

8. Create Greater Undead (wights): Start a zombie apocalypse.

9. Teleport/Greater Teleport: No need to drive around, also a great way to find an out of the way place to start a zombie apocalypse.

10. Shrink item: Store heavy things in a convenient form, Works better than secret chest if you don't have a bag of holding or something.

streakster
2008-02-27, 09:28 PM
Shadow conjuration. What more needs be said?

Aquillion
2008-02-27, 09:31 PM
While we're wishing (not Wishing) for things, why not have a divine rank and the Alter Reality salient divine ability?

Collin152
2008-02-27, 09:35 PM
Because it's no fun to be God.s. Gods.
Mindrape is fun because I still have a weakness-stealth assaults.

Admiral Squish
2008-02-27, 09:41 PM
I want Astral Construct. Sure, it only lasts a few rounds, But with boost construct you can make it do all sorts of things. Especially if you can quicken it. Falling to your doom? Quickened with fly takes you down to the surface. Dropped something in the pool? Construct with swim. Need to keep guys from following you? Buff, improved trip large construct. It does and it doesn't ask questions, just does what you tell it to. Need something to stir the noodles while you surf the net? Resistance [fire], and you can spend as long as you want. For sheer utility, astral construct.

Maybe Energy Missile, too, if you could choose the type at will. That would be awesome. Guys with guns? [sonic], then [fire] to torch the bastards. Plus it would be free A/C. Just cast it over and over on a fan, each blade gets it's own, and have it running constantly. Eternal cool breeze.

Randel
2008-02-27, 09:42 PM
1. Make Whole/Mending: With this as a spell-like ability I could fix almost anything and make lots of money. Though I might want to get Repair X Damage in case computers are considered a construct.

2. Create Food and Water: No need to shop for food anymore. Might want prestidigitation as well to flavor it.

3. Read thoughts (psionic): Like detect thoughts except you are more likely to get something other than "Who's that weirdo waving his hands at me and babbling nonsense words?" Learn what people are thinking, not sure if this works past language barriers.

4. Fabricate: make whatever you have the skill to do so... if all else fails, go to a garbage dump and fabricate garbage into nice little bars of raw material for manufacturing.

5. Mount: Get a pony or horse to ride whenever you want, no need to feed or house it.

6. Major Image (or any of the lesser illusions): have loads of fun.

7. Summon Marked Homunculus (though it needs a dragonmark of making): summon a homunculus to make stuff, sneak around or spy on things from above.

8. Create Greater Undead (wights): Start a zombie apocalypse.

9. Teleport/Greater Teleport: No need to drive around, also a great way to find an out of the way place to start a zombie apocalypse.

10. Shrink item: Store heavy things in a convenient form, Works better than secret chest if you don't have a bag of holding or something.

Collin152
2008-02-27, 09:47 PM
I feel like having a dinosaur in my avatar has become the new cool thing.
It's a shadow of a dinosaur, obviously.

CockroachTeaParty
2008-02-28, 12:05 AM
Huh? Why doesn't USC teach magic? Bwuh? There are schools that do teach magic? Aside from Hogwarts? I am... confused.

alchemyprime
2008-02-28, 12:26 AM
Not "Why Doesn't USC teach magic", but "Why USC Doesn't Teach Magic".

The entire point of the thread is how D&D spells, powers and abilities could be used and abused in the real world.

Example:

Thinking of the Decanter of Endless Water, it's not a long strech to think of the Beer Bong of Endless Hooch.

"Chug, Chug, Chug... Geyser!" Whoosh!

Another good one:

I found an item from a certain Unlawful Netbook that was, essentially, the perfect bathhouse. Every girl I know said they would cut off an arm and sell everything just for it.

Oh, I know how I'd end up messing with magic in school.
Brain Spider. So I don't go all Vile. I want to avoid being evil myself.

But i'd also be sure to grab Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Alter Self and PAO. I love PAO. It's my favorite spell.

Artanis
2008-02-28, 01:55 AM
Symbol of Persuasion. Not only is it extremely subtle, but it only has to be triggered (potentially by you), not seen...so unlike many of the already-mentioned spells, nobody would ever catch on. And there are so very, very many possibilities...

You could start a law firm and win every single court case.

You could run for office, put it on campaign posters outside voting areas, and win with 95% of the vote.

You could put it on a piece of paper in your wallet and automatically have a head start with any woman in the place.

You could start a band and have the "best concerts EVAHR" even if you suck.

You could rig any sporting event that relies on human judges (or any non-sporting event that relies on human judges, for that matter).

You could get out of any speeding ticket without hardly trying.

And so much more...

Hell V
2008-02-28, 02:24 AM
Improved Invisibility, Create Undead, Tenser's Transformation...

Summon Chopper IX!

Darkantra
2008-02-28, 02:26 AM
Clone, and Greater Restoration. What more would we really need?

You can live out as many lives as you might want in a myriad of different ways, or you could become the next Jesus.

Funkyodor
2008-02-28, 07:57 AM
Why stop at Speak with Dead? Go straight to Raise Dead for the win. Not only do you get the power over death, but with minimal skills you get a cult following too! Throw in a Remove Disease and bam, everyone over 50 or with diseased children just became your best friend! Charge a couple bucks per use and wham, you finally have an opinion about the capitol gains tax!

13_CBS
2008-02-28, 09:25 AM
I would get Wratfhul Gaze of an Angry God (or was it angry gaze of a wrathful god?), just for the fireworks. :smallamused:

Kami2awa
2008-02-28, 09:35 AM
I would KILL for Scholar's touch. It lets you read a book by touching it. Seriously, reading one book, regardless of size, in six seconds. *drool...*

Not really a new use, but still, you have to admit that you want it.

That should be a spell in Call of Cthulhu...

MandibleBones
2008-02-28, 09:45 AM
At-will SLAs wanted: Prestidigitation, Cure Light Wounds, Wind Walk, Greater Invisibility.

I don't really want anything else, except maybe remove disease 1/day... that's not entirely true. Reach Spell Slay Living would be neat to have... but I'd abuse it.

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-28, 11:31 AM
At that point it becomes like Death Note.
First, they have to know it's me. Good luck finding a trail when I'm using magic.
Second, if I go public with my mindraping, stealth will becoem very difficult. And if I catch you, I now have my very own assasin.

It just occured to me that the Death's Note's greatest weakness is that you have to kill someone to use it, and people tend to notice when that happens so it's not very stealthy at all. With a Mindrape SLA, you could do absolutely anything and get away with it. Just use proxies and never get your own hands dirty, and issue orders by rewriting your henchmen's minds to do your warped bidding without anything having to even voice them.

If they do somehow connect you with your crime spree, let them take you into custody peacefully. Heck, you might even engineer it so they do arrest you, just so you can corrupt the justice system itself ahead of time. Mindrape does have a Medium Range after all, and you just need line of sight to your target for a single combat round. It would be a very unusual trial, to say the least!

As for me, I'd probably want the Wish at will SLA. They'd probably need to make room at the cornfield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)), because there's goin' to be a whole lot of sendin'! :smalltongue:

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-28, 12:13 PM
Well really, I don't know who wouldn't want Wish as an at-will SLA, but I maintain that that's cheating. As far as I can tell, Mind Rape is pretty much untouchable, but at least you have to do a little work to get what you want.

While we're on the subject on 9th-level spells that would kick ass irl, how about Time Stop and Astral Projection, for excessive hilarity. I could see Time Stop + Expeditious Retreat getting some good romantic use; same with Dimension Door or Teleport (any Hiro Nakamura fans out there?)

The_Werebear
2008-02-28, 12:46 PM
I would want Heal, Glibness, and Raise Dead or Resurrection. Because really, I am a healer at heart. And someone would need to undo all the damage Senior Mindrape and all the people who picked Meteor Swarm are going to cause:smalltongue: . The reason I want Glibness is so I don't get tracked down by either: A) Them, at which point I need to start making reflex and will saves to avoid becoming ash and a slave, respectively, or B) Hordes of people who will literally trample me to death trying to cut in line.:smalleek:

brant167
2008-02-28, 01:01 PM
I would take greater invisibility and heal as supernatural abilities. Just go invisible into a hospital and heal random people. I wouldn't want all the attention that comes with being a miracle healer however I couldn't pass up that opportunity.

Rutee
2008-02-28, 01:08 PM
It just occured to me that the Death's Note's greatest weakness is that you have to kill someone to use it, and people tend to notice when that happens so it's not very stealthy at all. With a Mindrape SLA, you could do absolutely anything and get away with it. Just use proxies and never get your own hands dirty, and issue orders by rewriting your henchmen's minds to do your warped bidding without anything having to even voice them.

If they do somehow connect you with your crime spree, let them take you into custody peacefully. Heck, you might even engineer it so they do arrest you, just so you can corrupt the justice system itself ahead of time. Mindrape does have a Medium Range after all, and you just need line of sight to your target for a single combat round. It would be a very unusual trial, to say the least!

As for me, I'd probably want the Wish at will SLA. They'd probably need to make room at the cornfield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)), because there's goin' to be a whole lot of sendin'! :smalltongue:

You'd last about 2 minutes into walking out of the courthouse unharmed, at which point you are gunned down by a vigilante. Assuming it's Stilled, Silenced, etc, to get away with casting it in court.

I don't want world breaking power or anything like that; It's not worth the trouble when I can live a happy life without. I'll take Prestidigitation, Instant Scholar, Instant Search (Fragging keys) and Lullaby (On the offchance I ever create demonspawn of my own) and call it a night.

Telonius
2008-02-28, 01:13 PM
Why bother with being declared innocent? They'll be sending you to Arkham, anyway. Just use your SLA on the guards, and you're suddenly the delivery boy. Oh, the door out is that way.

Maithu
2008-02-28, 01:24 PM
Invisibility, Wall of Force, Heal, Teleport, Suggestion, Hero's Feast, and some sort of Time Stop

Rutee
2008-02-28, 01:25 PM
Why bother with being declared innocent? They'll be sending you to Arkham, anyway. Just use your SLA on the guards, and you're suddenly the delivery boy. Oh, the door out is that way.

I don't believe I said anything about innocent either; Merely that you're going to be shot as soon as you leave the courthouse.

Draco Ignifer
2008-02-28, 01:51 PM
For defensive spells, I'd go for one of the inflict mass spells. They're fully targettable (no frying people you don't want to), do enough damage to incapacitate normal people (mass inflict light and possibly kill them, so you might want non-lethal substitution), are as non-obvious as spells get... you wave your hands and curse angrily, and people fall down. The ideal one would be silent still non-lethal mass inflict serious wounds, which does 16 damage minimum, taking out those modern-day barbarians without anyone being able to pin it on you, with an average of 26 damage, enough to seriously deter any large predators you may encounter in your life.

You could also go for a non-lethal meteor swarm, but it's big, obvious as hell, and indiscriminate... not fatal, mind you, but taking 6-24 dice of nonlethal damage is going to hurt like being beaten half to death by a gang of lunatics, and you might want to avoid doing this to anyone you don't want to.

For more general utility? Prestidigitation all the way. Also, greater teleport (I would REALLY not want to find out how many hit points... or how few... I have) and tongues for perfect vacations. Moment of Prescience or Persistant Fox's Cunning would also be lovely choices. And, of course, any polymorph spell, especially PAO or Shapechange.

An interesting question, though... what counts as having intrinsic value? Is it determined by the culture (transmute water to oil becomes impossible), or d20 standards (oil wasn't really that valuable)?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-28, 02:01 PM
As for me, I think I would take whatever spells you'd need to become an archlich (A good lich), Overland flight, Wish to get an inherent +5 to all stats and no more, Prismatic sphere for any moment of danger, alter self to reassume my human visage after becoming an archlich, Heal, And Gate so that other people can get the gift of magic too. And Finger of death in case someone wants to destroy me because undead = evillRAAAAAAARGH!

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-28, 02:16 PM
As long as you have Mind Rape and are trying to leave the courthouse, grab an Otiluke's and bubble yourself away invincibly-- not subtle, but then again, you can always just Mindrape the people who see you as you go...

Rutee
2008-02-28, 02:19 PM
As long as you have Mind Rape and are trying to leave the courthouse, grab an Otiluke's and bubble yourself away invincibly-- not subtle, but then again, you can always just Mindrape the people who see you as you go...

Of course, now we're getting into "I want to be Batman with At-Will SLAs in Real Life".

Honestly, I figured that'd happen from the moment someone said "Charm Person"..

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-28, 02:20 PM
Wait a minute. Lemme see...

Phew! Archliches are immune to mind affecting spells!

puppyavenger
2008-02-28, 02:40 PM
Does PAO work that way?
It's duration is Permanent, not Instantaneous, after all. I doubt you could cheat death with it.
It'd still be wicked to have, of course.

If you PAO a human into an elf, does he gain the elfs age limits?
anyway even if it's permananet, how many people with dispell magic are there in RL?

Mewtarthio
2008-02-28, 02:54 PM

Okay, now that's cheating. While we're at it, why not just be Pun-Pun?

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-28, 03:21 PM
You'd last about 2 minutes into walking out of the courthouse unharmed, at which point you are gunned down by a vigilante. Assuming it's Stilled, Silenced, etc, to get away with casting it in court.

It's an SLA (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities). It has no components to silence or still, and doesn't cost XP either. I believe you aren't even entitled to a Spellcraft check to find out what spell it is, though I think you can tell when one is used (I remember a passage that declared all spellcasting "obvious" even if you remove the components.)

You'd still have to be cautious. This is why you'd still be playing a Death Note-type game, with secret proxies all over, ready to do stuff like take bullets for you, or hunt down people that won't come close enough to be directly mind wiped, and to deal with those who are otherwise immune, like an archlich. It's not an "I WIN!" for taking over the world, but it gives you the best possible shot at doing so.

I don't want world breaking power or anything like that; It's not worth the trouble when I can live a happy life without. I'll take Prestidigitation, Instant Scholar, Instant Search (Fragging keys) and Lullaby (On the offchance I ever create demonspawn of my own) and call it a night.

The problem with the less world breaking powers is that even though you'd use them quietly, once word got out that you had them your life would change dramatically anyway. Certainly the government would want to know about anyone that could be proven to be actually wielding magic. You still have to be cautious, and yeah, they would draw less attention overall.

Moff Chumley
2008-02-28, 03:26 PM
What, exactly, is PAO?

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-28, 03:29 PM
What, exactly, is PAO?

Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) :smallcool:

Dr Bwaa
2008-02-28, 03:42 PM
Well really, I don't know who wouldn't want Wish as an at-will SLA, but I maintain that that's cheating. *snip*

Of course, now we're getting into "I want to be Batman with At-Will SLAs in Real Life".

Honestly, I figured that'd happen from the moment someone said "Charm Person"..

Okay, now that's cheating. While we're at it, why not just be Pun-Pun?

Yes, I'm holding a bit of a double standard here, but there are two conversations going on in this thread simultaneously, so I'm participating in both (namely, the low-powered spells discussion and the high-powered Mindrape Batman wouldn't-it-be-fun spells discussion)

Rutee
2008-02-28, 03:51 PM
It's an SLA (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities). It has no components to silence or still, and doesn't cost XP either. I believe you aren't even entitled to a Spellcraft check to find out what spell it is, though I think you can tell when one is used (I remember a passage that declared all spellcasting "obvious" even if you remove the components.)

You'd still have to be cautious. This is why you'd still be playing a Death Note-type game, with secret proxies all over, ready to do stuff like take bullets for you, or hunt down people that won't come close enough to be directly mind wiped, and to deal with those who are otherwise immune, like an archlich. It's not an "I WIN!" for taking over the world, but it gives you the best possible shot at doing so.
Look, I'm not the one who said what'd happen if he made it to court. That was someone else. I'm pointing out that if it happens, he loses. Since apparently, even without components it's Obvious, so there's not much to do but /stay/ caught. And probably be shot the moment Weird Stuff happens in court.

The problem with the less world breaking powers is that even though you'd use them quietly, once word got out that you had them your life would change dramatically anyway. Certainly the government would want to know about anyone that could be proven to be actually wielding magic. You still have to be cautious, and yeah, they would draw less attention overall.

Of course, most of those are used at home anyway, so...

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-28, 04:13 PM
Look, I'm not the one who said what'd happen if he made it to court. That was someone else. I'm pointing out that if it happens, he loses. Since apparently, even without components it's Obvious, so there's not much to do but /stay/ caught. And probably be shot the moment Weird Stuff happens in court.

Well, again, being able to make anyone your complete thrall (and also gaining access to their memories, including names, passwords, PIN's and other miscellenous mental errata) in 6 seconds makes you very, very dangerous, and very difficult to handle. If you knew exactly how Mindrape worked, it's possible to defend against it (the best way is staying out of range or LOS of the caster.)

However, because most people will not know the limitations you can trust that someone will give you an opening at some point before all hope is lost. The trick would be preventing an outside entity from discovering exactly what your true limitations are, at least long enough for you to get your hooks into them.

Someone should write a book on this: "How to take over the world, using vast mental powers, in 12 easy steps." I'd read it.

alchemyprime
2008-02-28, 05:46 PM
Okay, new bit: everyone has the potential to use magic. Let's ignore all uses of the word MINDRAPE from this point on.

Okay. Stop thinking like Belkar. Think like a frat boy. Think like a bro. Think like an idiot football player (as opposed to a smart football player). Think "How much fun can I get with magic?" Ignore Wish, Miracle, Lesser Wish, Reality Revision, Bend Reality and Mindrape. And no Locate City Bomb.

A very useful one: Disguise Self. Keep changing clothes.

Collin152
2008-02-28, 05:47 PM
Someone should write a book on this: "How to take over the world, using vast mental powers, in 12 easy steps." I'd read it.

I'd write it. I think I'm entitled, too.

Senior Mindrape
Is that me? Because I don't do the spanish thing. I'd prefer being called something more Japanese, like Kage-Sama. Or Akuma.

And yeah, it's massive compared to most spells, but compared to other 9th level spells, like say, Gate...

As far as being gunned down leaving the courtroom, I don't think I'd be there. They'd... drop the charges fairly quickly. If they diddn't, a few... accidents may occur. After all, just like Light of Death Note (well, Kira anyways), I'd be bound to have some supporters, assuming I had a cause I was working towards. Whos to say a supporter believed it was me doing it, and wanted to save me by killing the jury?
Of course, I'd have to force them to try other people too. I can do that, you know.

Oh, and this isn't me thinking like Belkar. It's me thinking like me.
But hey, give me a spell level limit, and I'll still be a villainous cur.

Rutee
2008-02-28, 05:49 PM
As far as being gunned down leaving the courtroom, I don't think I'd be there. They'd... drop the charges fairly quickly. If they diddn't, a few... accidents may occur. After all, just like Light of Death Note (well, Kira anyways), I'd be bound to have some supporters, assuming I had a cause I was working towards. Whos to say a supporter believed it was me doing it, and wanted to save me by killing the jury?
Of course, I'd have to force them to try other people too. I can do that, you know.

One of us doesn't understand how bureaucratic this process is, and I'm betting it isn't me..

Trust me, if that complaint gets filed, you're going to be subpoena'd. I can believe you not /actually going there/, but you're going to be subpoena'd.

Edit: Never mind, you wouldn't be. I suspect this is the kind of thing we have Men in Black and whatnot for :P

Seriously though, Death Noet only really works because the characters are Mary Sues.

The_Werebear
2008-02-28, 05:52 PM
Well...

If I was thinking like a fratboy, I would pick up Bull's Strength and Neutralize Poison. Bull's Strength is great for both sports and doing stunts for your friends. Neutralize Poison is both a prank (sneak up on drunk friends and "cure" the alcohol in them) and a hangover cure (do it on yourself in the morning).

mikeejimbo
2008-02-28, 05:54 PM

So it creates a cat?

Collin152
2008-02-28, 05:58 PM
One of us doesn't understand how bureaucratic this process is, and I'm betting it isn't me..

Trust me, if that complaint gets filed, you're going to be subpoena'd. I can believe you not /actually going there/, but you're going to be subpoena'd.

Edit: Never mind, you wouldn't be. I suspect this is the kind of thing we have Men in Black and whatnot for :P

Seriously though, Death Noet only really works because the characters are Mary Sues.

I can Mindrape at will.
They are dropping the charges, like it or not.

Rutee
2008-02-28, 06:03 PM
I can Mindrape at will.
They are dropping the charges, like it or not.

Forget it. Unless there's stuff from the red scare on the books, mind control is not technically a crime.

So you have bigger problems then a subpoena to worry about, like Men in Black after the charges are filed. Especially if they're dropped.

Collin152
2008-02-28, 06:07 PM
True. Assuming I'm the only suspect. And I won't be.
And I think using Mind Control to kill people counts as some form of Homicide.

Rutee
2008-02-28, 06:10 PM
Inducing others to kill is not only Murder in the First Degree, but it's also Conspiracy to Murder, generally. I missed the part where you mind control people into killing. More charges may or may not be tacked on based on state. However, I thought this hypothetical situation was after reliably being fingered, really.

Also, I'm relatively certain that charges for murder /can't/ be dropped.

puppyavenger
2008-02-28, 06:11 PM
True. Assuming I'm the only suspect. And I won't be.
And I think using Mind Control to kill people counts as some form of Homicide.

Conspiricy or coercion is my guess.

Inducing others to kill is not only Murder in the First Degree, but it's also Conspiracy to Murder, generally. I missed the part where you mind control people into killing. More charges may or may not be tacked on based on state. However, I thought this hypothetical situation was after reliably being fingered, really.

no, but you can be found inocent after being out on bail for $5 and a short case.

Collin152
2008-02-28, 06:16 PM

So they'll find me innocent. So long as they don't know how I'm doing it, I can make them do whatever I want.

Now, usign a ninth level spell might be considered a little unbalanced.
Therefore, I'll try to becoem a villain with a spell of no level higher than fifth.
Dominate Person. It's easier to detect, but same effect; I commit crimes through others.

Rutee
2008-02-28, 06:17 PM
So they'll find me innocent. So long as they don't know how I'm doing it, I can make them do whatever I want.

Now, usign a ninth level spell might be considered a little unbalanced.
Therefore, I'll try to becoem a villain with a spell of no level higher than fifth.
Dominate Person. It's easier to detect, but same effect; I commit crimes through others.

If they know you're mind controlling people, you will probably have an armed, alert guard or two on you at all times. And don't get me started on the "I mind rape him" crap. SLAs are Obvious; You will be shot before then.

Collin152
2008-02-28, 06:24 PM
SLA's are obvious? No Verbal or Somatic componants, and no visual manifestation of power.
If they expect me to mindrape him, I'll use one of my pre-rendered thralls.
Course, they do have to catch me in the first place, but apparently that's not part of this scenario.

Oh, in my present, non criminal life, I'd definatley like dimension door.

Rutee
2008-02-28, 06:31 PM
It's an SLA. It has no components to silence or still, and doesn't cost XP either. I believe you aren't even entitled to a Spellcraft check to find out what spell it is, though I think you can tell when one is used (I remember a passage that declared all spellcasting "obvious" even if you remove the components.)
And honestly, I don't know how this got started, but I don't think this thread was for "OMG I WANT TO BE AT WILL BATMAN"...

Collin152
2008-02-28, 06:34 PM
And honestly, I don't know how this got started, but I don't think this thread was for "OMG I WANT TO BE AT WILL BATMAN"...

Batman would just throw a batarang and tie up his enemies. He also has an anti-identification device on his belt.
As you've pointed out, Mindrape is not instant-pwn, but it does make me a very dangerous individual.

Nontheless, I have other options.
I could wreak havok with nothing more than suggestion!

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-02-28, 06:52 PM
ya know...when you actually think about what people would do if they had these powers everyone immediately thinks about all the ways they could abuse the power...but it nearly always has the same assumption...that they are the only ones with such powers.

You stop and think about that...if others could also do 'magic'...wouldn't there be others that might abuse it too? And then what about those who don't have that power...how would they feel about it? I am sure anybody would and could appreciate the benefit that magic could provide...but at the same time, one would be absolutely terrified of the type of abuse that could happen at the hands of rogue mages.

Think about it enough and you see how much of the fluff is created around mages in DnD. an interesting prospect though.

PAO and prestidigitation would be phenomenal to have...as would scholar's touch. I would also want illusions of some sort, cause that is just cool...anything you can think of, becomes reality...holodeck style anyone? Just allow yourself to 'believe' in the illusion for a while and even though you know it is false, you can enjoy it...at the very least casting a large illusion would be akin to the ultimate movie experiance...

For 'humanitarian' needs...one can't look over the cleric curative spells. ways to cure blindness/deafness, wave away illness, regrow limbs, heal people from nearly fatal injuries...not sure if it would be good to be able to raise dead...that might be a whole can of worms...

For the older crowd (and even some of the younger)...one spell would mean more than any other...reincarnation. To be able to do it all over again knowing what they know now. A second chance at a new life free of all the attachments of the old. I know that even the most satisfied would find it a tantalizing proposal to be able to come back with full knowledge of their past life in a new young body to live life again.

puppyavenger
2008-02-28, 07:44 PM
ya know...when you actually think about what people would do if they had these powers everyone immediately thinks about all the ways they could abuse the power...but it nearly always has the same assumption...that they are the only ones with such powers.

You stop and think about that...if others could also do 'magic'...wouldn't there be others that might abuse it too? And then what about those who don't have that power...how would they feel about it? I am sure anybody would and could appreciate the benefit that magic could provide...but at the same time, one would be absolutely terrified of the type of abuse that could happen at the hands of rogue mages.

Think about it enough and you see how much of the fluff is created around mages in DnD. an interesting prospect though.

contingency plus PAO, contingency being that, if I am about to suffer a mortal or near mortal wound, from weaopns, poison etc. I will imidiatly be transmuted into myself minus any injuries, works great for eternel youth and turning lead to gold to! time to crash the prescios metals econamy!:smallsmile:

Aquillion
2008-02-28, 08:00 PM
If you PAO a human into an elf, does he gain the elfs age limits?No. While Polymorph Any Object is overpowered, people tend to overestimate its abilities even beyond that; remember, other than intelligence, duration, and object-related functionality, most of what it does is inhereted from Polymorph. PAO does not grant EX or SU abilities, for instance, no more than Polymorph does.

What does it grant? Well, the 'form' you select, which includes:
The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.The only part of that paragraph that is overriden in PAO is retaining your old intelligence (you still keep wisdom and charisma). Things like age, though, are not listed and, therefore, you don't get them.

puppyavenger
2008-02-28, 08:27 PM
No. While Polymorph Any Object is overpowered, people tend to overestimate its abilities even beyond that; remember, other than intelligence, duration, and object-related functionality, most of what it does is inhereted from Polymorph. PAO does not grant EX or SU abilities, for instance, no more than Polymorph does.

What does it grant? Well, the 'form' you select, which includes:The only part of that paragraph that is overriden in PAO is retaining your old intelligence (you still keep wisdom and charisma). Things like age, though, are not listed and, therefore, you don't get them.

meh, still limitless wealth and immunity to poison and ability damage.
include reincarnate with that.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-28, 08:27 PM
All things considered I believe we can agree tha Gate is the most pwerful SLA you can get, if only because you can always summon a being to cast another spell for you. It's like a more powerful Wish.

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-29, 02:04 AM

I should probably clarify what I meant by 'obvious.' It means you can ready an action for if they start spellcasting. Meaning, even if someone is Stilled, Silenced, and not using material components you can still tell they are spellcasting if you're looking for it. If you aren't looking for it specifically, and specifically on the one single target person that you've readied for, then you're out of luck if they don't make some sort of other noticable sign.

So if I had you in custody and knew you were a spellcaster, I could have two or more people watch you, ready to smack you upside the head if you started a spell opr an SLA. If I'm trying to locate the spellcaster in a crowd, I'm kind of out of luck unless I have another clue to go by or I have everyone watched individually.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-29, 03:02 PM
If I were to pick spells as SLAs for me in real life I would pick:
Prestigitigation
Cure Minor Wounds
Remove Disease
Dancing Lights
Create Food/Water

EDIT: if were also taking high level spell, New improved list:

Prestigitigation
Superior Invisibility
Mass Heal
Mass Harm
True Creation

John Campbell
2008-02-29, 04:37 PM
Given the number of would-be enchanters (a far more deserving school than necromancy to be considered intrinsically evil) around here, I think I want my at-will SLA to be mind blank. Possibly with a side of greater restoration.

Zenos
2008-02-29, 05:14 PM
I think I would want as SLA's at will:

PaO: For obvious reasons.

Mind Rape (psionic): So. Much. Fun.

Summon Elemental Monolith: Say hello to my huge aspect of DOOM.

Summon Food and Water

Greater Invisibility

All the Bull's strenght, bears endurance, owl's wisdom, etc spells.

Remote Viewing (psionic)

Regenerate and Cure Disease: I could actually do some good, visiting hospitals, and maybe get a religion.

Shapechange Hello. I am a Solar. Hello, I am an incarnation of shadow. Hello, I am a gigantic bug.

Collin152
2008-02-29, 06:43 PM
Lot of people seem to want to start their own religion or be a god.
I could never handle that kind of authority and publicity, though.
Much rather people despise me and have no way of finding me.
Perhaps I should lay claim to invisibility...

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-29, 06:48 PM
Meh, religion is teh badzorz. Too much chance for the conservative powers to kill you. Much better to be a God or King.

Collin152
2008-02-29, 07:00 PM
Meh, religion is teh badzorz. Too much chance for the conservative powers to kill you. Much better to be a God or King.

Suppose I was a Pirate King.
Do I still qualify?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-29, 07:04 PM
A King is a King. Or a pretty princess masquerading as one.

ARE YOU A PRETTY PRINCESS?

Collin152
2008-02-29, 07:05 PM
Well, I'd like people to call me pretty, but I can't say I'd take to beign called "princess".