PDA

View Full Version : Help, asap about Vista.

Inhuman Bot
2008-02-27, 08:04 PM
I'am hoping to get the game the eldar scrolls: oblivion for the pc. Anyone know if It's vista(:smallyuk: ) compatable?

blackout
2008-02-27, 08:11 PM
Chances are yes.

Jimblee
2008-02-27, 08:23 PM
Don't know if this (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest) is helpful or not

I use it, but it might also be slowly eating away at my computer, like so many worms in my breakfast

Castaras
2008-02-28, 08:38 AM
Upgrade to XP from Vista. =P

Although should be compatible...

Pagz
2008-02-28, 09:32 AM
Upgrade to XP from Vista. =PHaha, for a moment there, I was confused =D.

Seconded.

Seriously.

Either way, I haven't found any compatibility issues with Vista yet, not even on games that are nearly a decade old. I'm pretty sure a more recent game such as Oblivion will be fine.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-02-28, 10:42 AM
I'am hoping to get the game the eldar scrolls: oblivion for the pc. Anyone know if It's vista(:smallyuk: ) compatable?

Yup! I have it on Vista ;D
If it doesnt work straight away simply run as administrator!

Lorn
2008-02-28, 10:48 AM
Completely compatible.

Trust me on this.

The mod maker, though, is less so - you'll want to either rejig permissions so you can write to Program Files (needed if you want to take screenshots etc anyway :/) or run as admin oooor just use the uber-admin account.

Or just install it all in C:\Games, but yeah. Only if you want to edit the ini files to take screenshots or whatever.

Ailurus
2008-02-28, 11:09 AM
It *mostly* works on Vista home premium.

If you buy any of the downloadable content (frostcrag spire, for example), you probably won't be able to install them. However, if you have them on the Knights of the Nine dvd, then they will work.

Also, Oblivion usually reports that it crashed when I exit the program.

Outside of those two things, though, Oblivion works 99% of the time (sometimes I get occasional random crashes, but I don't know if those are Vista or mods I have installed)

Mando Knight
2008-02-28, 12:49 PM
My main solution is that if it doesn't work on Vista, make it work. The main problem a pre-Vista program may have is with Aero, the main hook for the Home Premium edition. Set the program's permissions to revert the scheme to Vista Basic (also necessary for some builds of Java), and assign Administrator privileges.

One weird bug i found in running Age of Empires II on my Vista system is that I have to open a random folder in the background before booting the game up, or else certain colors are replaced with those on the opposite side of the spectrum (I've had blood-stained fields thanks to this bug... it gets really annoying with the water, though...). I still have no idea why it works like that...

Lorn
2008-03-04, 06:56 PM
It *mostly* works on Vista home premium.

If you buy any of the downloadable content (frostcrag spire, for example), you probably won't be able to install them. However, if you have them on the Knights of the Nine dvd, then they will work.

Also, Oblivion usually reports that it crashed when I exit the program.

Outside of those two things, though, Oblivion works 99% of the time (sometimes I get occasional random crashes, but I don't know if those are Vista or mods I have installed)
-Same thing with the CTD happened with XP, it's just because it takes up so much memory.

-As far as modding/installing premade mods goes:

It's complicated. But, if you open the admin account (spoilered)
Press Start. In the search box, type cmd. Right-click on the CMD program. Press Run as Admin. Type in "net user administrator /active:yes" Switch user, there should be another account.
you can add them in through that; or just rejig the permissions for your account to let you be able to do it normally. Save the system before this though.