PDA

View Full Version : Divine miss-chance spells?

Isomenes
2008-02-27, 11:07 PM
Am I missing something, or is entropic shield the only thing close to a miss chance that's in the Cleric's playlist? Not even Spell Compendium seems to offer anything.

The reason I'm asking is that the Duskblade character (15th level) I'm playing has been offered a DM PRC that opens up some spontaneous divine spellcasting a la the Favored Soul. So I have 8 spells known slots to fill, restricted to Cleric spells 1st through 5th. With an eye toward eventually fighting an ancient Red Wyrm, what are good spells or reliable tactics to use?

Here are the spells I've been considering:

1st
shield of faith (buff)
remove fear (buff)

2nd
SHOULD: lesser restoration (heal)
MUST: close wounds (imm. heal) SpCom

3rd
magic vestment (buff)
antidragon aura (buff) SpCom
SHOULD: fell the greatest foe (buff) SpCom
knight's move (tactical) SpCom

4th
death ward (buff)
SHOULD: moon bolt (str damage) SpCom
MUST: assay spell resistance (buff) SpCom
MUST: delay death (imm. buff) SpCom
lesser holy transformation (buff) SpCom
sheltered vitality (buff) SpCom
spell vulnerability (debuff) SpCom

(5th)
SHOULD: righteous might (personal)
SHOULD: spell resistance (buff)
aura of evasion (buff) SpCom
divine agility (buff) SpCom

nargbop
2008-02-28, 09:42 AM
A PrC that offers 5th level divine spells at first level? Wow. That DM is going to ream you mightily with monsters.
Check that PrC - he may have meant that you gain those spells over several PrC levels.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-28, 09:48 AM
Who said they're at first level? The OP doesn't mention any level at all.

Yes, entropic shield is the only miss-chance spell in the standard cleric list. If you get a domain list with darkness on it, then that may help as well.

Isomenes
2008-02-28, 10:56 AM
Sorry, I forgot the critical detail. It's a Duskblade 15. She'll have access to the 5th level spells when she normally would (17th). It's probably suboptimal, but that's not a concern for me, as the group is generally not a group of twinkers. I'm just not used to the Cleric spell list, so I have no idea what the best options are.

Isomenes
2008-02-28, 07:20 PM
Yes, entropic shield is the only miss-chance spell in the standard cleric list. If you get a domain list with darkness on it, then that may help as well.

Darkness I had almost completely overlooked--it's out of the character's consideration, though, having already taken the Moon domain. Seems a bit antithetical to be lobbing around magical darkness when your deity is a being of light.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-29, 01:17 AM
The moon is held, surrounded, and protected by the darkness, and without one the other would be lessened.

See, it;s not that hard to justify.:smalltongue:

Isomenes
2008-02-29, 06:41 AM
The moon is held, surrounded, and protected by the darkness, and without one the other would be lessened.

See, it's not that hard to justify.:smalltongue:

Eh, that's a little bit of a stretch. Though I imagine I could modify darkness to be something like an obscuring aura of moonlight. Still and all, that's two spells. I keep thinking back to that AC thread, with the posters pointing out that miss chance is much more effective at high levels than AC.