PDA

View Full Version : Emulating Timeless Body.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-28, 04:53 AM
Does anyone know of any items in D&D which can be used to emulate the Druid's Timeless Body class feature? I can't find anything anywhere, and I thought it wold be strange if there wasn't an item which could mimic the ability.

Indon
2008-02-28, 08:37 AM
I can't find it in the SRD, but I could swear there was an amulet that when you wore it it aged instead of you. That's kind of like having Timeless Body anyway.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-28, 08:52 AM
Thanks for telling m. Can you remember is the amulat can keep ageing indefinitly, or does it have a limit?

Ascension
2008-02-28, 08:52 AM
Well, you see, first you get someone to paint a picture of you...

Indon
2008-02-28, 08:54 AM
Thanks for telling m. Can you remember is the amulat can keep ageing indefinitly, or does it have a limit?

Falls apart after a number of years, if I recall.

Maybe it was an AD&D item? In which case, it might be in the item compendium, or might not be in the game at all anymore.

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-28, 09:11 AM

Dorian!!!!

Prometheus
2008-02-28, 05:35 PM
Dorian!!!!
I'm sorry you didn't answer in the form of a question...

Monks have Timeless Body too...Liches and undead live forever...Clone would work, or an item that uses Clone.

zaei
2008-02-28, 09:57 PM

I play D&D with that guy every week!

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-29, 02:33 AM
I didnt think Clone had any effect on the target's age. Also, not everyone would want to be immortal (or Undead for that matter), and not everyone would want to take 15 levels of Monk.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-29, 02:37 AM
I didnt think Clone had any effect on the target's age. Also, not everyone would want to be immortal (or Undead for that matter), and not everyone would want to take 15 levels of Monk.You set up about 20 clones, hide them in various places around the world, and every time you die you make a new one. They're all the same age as you were when you made them, so you technically age until you kill yourself, at which point you return to your former age.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-29, 03:15 AM
Okay (to be fair, that sounds expensive and there would be problems with preserving the Clones once they are grown). I was thinking more about a potion or ring which would pevent all ageing when it's drunk/worn).

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-02-29, 05:29 AM
There is a longevity potion or some sort that reverts your age some...not much though. I think it is the same stuff used for spellbooks...oil of timelessness i think...have to double check...

hmm...all I see now is the ungent of stuff...that only works on objects or once living stuff. Must have taken it out in 3.5, I could have sworn it was part of 3.0. Not sure.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-29, 07:27 AM
Thanks (that's all I could find on the matter).

Ganurath
2008-02-29, 11:38 AM
Clerics can get it through the Contemplative PrC.

Arcanists through the Alienist PrC, or the Green Star Adept at the cost of their caster levels. The latter is probably better for melee types with a caster dip like Hexblade.

Snadgeros
2008-02-29, 12:00 PM
Become a monk! They get it too, you know!:smallamused:

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-29, 02:17 PM
Thanks for those suggestions, Ganurath (I know I've only got CrystalKeep to go on, but is the Contemplative PrC that good? I would have thought the reduced HD and BAB would cause some problems). As I said, Snadgeros, that is ridiculously impractical for most characters.

Zenos
2008-02-29, 02:22 PM
Temploral Stasis and Imprisonment would technically keep you from aging whilst in it, although there may be some problems with things like freedom and other nonimportant things.

Ganurath
2008-02-29, 02:23 PM
Thanks for those suggestions, Ganurath (I know I've only got CrystalKeep to go on, but is the Contemplative PrC that good? I would have thought the reduced HD and BAB would cause some problems). As I said, Snadgeros, that is ridiculously impractical for most characters.Divine Power gives you full BAB for the duration, so that downside of the Contemplative is meaningless. As for the reduced HD... Clerics tend to heal. Plus, it gets a bunch of other fun stuff like SR and Bonus Domains. It's in Complete Divine. The others mentioned are in Complete Arcane.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-29, 02:50 PM
That is a good point (I would have thought that using Divine Power in every battle would be impractical, though). That's the main reason why I was looking for an item (the Alienist class looks good, though).

Chronos
2008-02-29, 03:45 PM
You set up about 20 clones, hide them in various places around the world, and every time you die you make a new one. They're all the same age as you were when you made them, so you technically age until you kill yourself, at which point you return to your former age.Clone doesn't work that way. If the soul is unavailable when the clone is completed, you've just got an extra corpse on your hands. The only way to bring someone back via Clone is to take a flesh sample before they die, and then grow it (or at least, finish growing it) some time after they die. Yes, this sucks compared to Raise Dead, but that's because wizards aren't as good at the whole healing thing as clerics are.

Ramos
2008-02-29, 06:41 PM
There's an amulet of Longevity that gives you 7d% years of life. But I can't remember where.

The Psionic Power true mind switch can get you a new, younger (and sometimes improved) body.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-29, 07:58 PM
Clone doesn't work that way. If the soul is unavailable when the clone is completed, you've just got an extra corpse on your hands. The only way to bring someone back via Clone is to take a flesh sample before they die, and then grow it (or at least, finish growing it) some time after they die. Yes, this sucks compared to Raise Dead, but that's because wizards aren't as good at the whole healing thing as clerics are.But when you die your soul goes into the clone.

Chronos
2008-02-29, 08:01 PM
But when you die your soul goes into the clone.There is nothing in the Clone spell which suggests that this would happen, any more than your soul would go right back into your corpse.

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-29, 11:47 PM
If you want to do things the cheesy wizardly way, hire or capture a living humanoid 14th level incarnate. Have them bind Strongheart Vest to their waist chakra on the night of a full moon. Cast Steal Life (8th level spell from BoVD), and keep concentrating. For every 5 minutes and 12 seconds you do this sets the Grim Reaper one year further away from you. With a full 12 hour night you could end up 114 years younger, which is fantastic for a human but only so-so for an elf. Still, you can go again on the next full moon as long as you have your Incarnate around, so the result could keep you from ever dying of natural causes.

If there's a shortage of mid to high level incarnates around, any healthy (Con 17+) humanoid adventurer of 18th level or higher will work. Use Dark Chaos Shuffle to grant them Open Greater Chakra(Strongheart Vest) and they're a perfect candidate for stealing life from.

You could also just do it as the spell seems to intend (VERY evil) and kill a whole lot of commoners by ability draining them to death, but the downside on that is that you have to recast everytime your target dies and there's only so many 8th level spells you can cast in a night. Better if your target stays alive and being drained, at least IMO.

Nermy
2008-02-29, 11:51 PM
But when you die your soul goes into the clone.

For that you'd need to cast Stasis Clone, not Clone.

Nebo_
2008-02-29, 11:59 PM
Dragonwrought Kobolds don't take aging penalties.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-01, 12:03 AM
Eldritch Disciple also gives you immortality. In addition to that, templates that change your type to outsider (native outsider is immortal, too), undead or construct (living construct does age and 'die').

I'm not sure about fey or elementals though.

ashmanonar
2008-03-01, 02:23 AM
There's an amulet of Longevity that gives you 7d% years of life. But I can't remember where.

The Psionic Power true mind switch can get you a new, younger (and sometimes improved) body.

Hmm, the Corpsetaker.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-01, 01:37 PM
That sounds interesting, Tokiko Mima. I take it that the person you're stealing life from doesn't suffer any side-effects due to the Chakra bind, right? Also, could other classes do this, or would it only work with an Arcanist?

Shas aia Toriia
2008-03-01, 02:14 PM
You could play as a killoren or an elan.

FlyMolo
2008-03-01, 04:48 PM
You could play as a killoren or an elan.

True mind Switch. And I heard rumors that Elans just live a really long time now, not indefinitely. Which sucks.

But yeah, True Mind Switch. I wanna be a bugbear! Today I wanna be an elf!

And you get the picture. Also, it's much harder to keep track of you.

Collin152
2008-03-01, 04:59 PM
Please note that Timeless Body does not prevent aging.

Green and Red
2008-03-01, 05:11 PM
Please note that Timeless Body does not prevent aging.

Right, it only stops the penalties, you still die... however, a few things have been noted that make you life forever

Green star adept... as bad as that class may be, unlike alienist and druid you really can live forever.
True mind switch... as long as you keep switching to beings which are younger or life longer.
Elan.
And that lifetime-draining spell from BoVD.

Also there are epic spells (though they can also only proplong your life, though with cheese....) and an epic feat, but you hardly would want to waste one of those

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-01, 05:20 PM
Killoren are immortal as long as your forest isn't cut down.

Tokiko Mima
2008-03-01, 05:46 PM
Killoren are immortal as long as your forest isn't cut down.

Wouldn't that be inevitable though, on a larger timeline? I can't think of any Jurassic era forests that are still around, for example. You'd be good for several thousand years at least, though.

The_Snark
2008-03-01, 05:48 PM
I prefer Mind Seed to True Mind Switch. It's not technically immortality at all, and you have to rely on the fact that your other selves will gain levels fast enough that they can Mind Seed others before they die, but it is incredibly creepy to prolong your existence that way.

Eldritch Disciple also gives you immortality. In addition to that, templates that change your type to outsider (native outsider is immortal, too), undead or construct (living construct does age and 'die').

Native outsiders aren't immortal, actually. Aasimar and tieflings have lifespans given in Races of Destiny. Monks, alienists, and other transitional classes that make you into a native outsider at the end aren't granting immortality.

Eldritch Disciple is fun, though. One of the few classes that gives real immortality, and possibly the only one that doesn't do it by making you into a construct or undead.

Oh yes, warforged are another immortal race. Not that they've existed long enough in their standard setting for anybody to know that for certain, but statistically they don't ever go beyond middle age.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-02, 03:09 AM
What are the Epic spells and feat, Green and Red? I developed a 9th level spell a while back which emulates Timeless Body while adding to the target's life expectancy: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72146 . Also, Elans just live for a really long time (the normal penalties apply to them when they reach the appropriate age catagories).

Newtkeeper
2008-03-02, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't that be inevitable though, on a larger timeline? I can't think of any Jurassic era forests that are still around, for example. You'd be good for several thousand years at least, though.

This bears noting. However, the odds of you not getting killed by non-aging means before the forest is destroyed seem low to me. At least, unless it grants immunity to violence, disease, and poison.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-02, 01:09 PM
Timeless body means you don't take penalties from aging, you still die of old age.:smallconfused: Yeah, it doesn't really make sense, but that's the way it is.:smallannoyed:

Dan_Hemmens
2008-03-02, 01:57 PM
How about polymorph?

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-02, 02:30 PM
As far as Druids go, I'd say that Timeless Body makes sense due to how being immune to dying from old age would violate an importantprinciple of nature, but TB would allow a Druid to continue to protect nature dispite getting old. To the fair, there's nothing stopping Druids from killing themselves and spamming Reincarnate as long as they don't mind having other forms (once they get to really high levels, the potential LAs from some forms won't matter that much).