PDA

View Full Version : While we're at this whole geshtalt thing.....

Crimson Avenger
2008-02-28, 09:29 AM
My gestalt party decided to attack a red half-dragon ettin cleric of Tiamat. The know it's a half dragon, they know it's an ettin, and they know it's a cleric capable of casting Righteous Might. Since ettins don't have their wisdoms penalized, I figure I can pretty easily get a WIS of 24 and a STR of 38 or 40 with a few magic items. This is a full blown CR 17, and the party just attained 13th level. I want to school them horribly, but not outright slaughter them. (Recurring villian anyone). I'm not a great cleric builder, and this monster can be full gestalt. I would greatly appreciate ideas on spell selections, feats, PrC's, the other side....whatever suggestions you have, I'll listen.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-28, 09:32 AM
Gestalt. filler

Crimson Avenger
2008-02-28, 09:42 AM
Gestalt. filler

Oops.

At least I was consistent with my misspelling.

Shishnarfne
2008-02-28, 10:11 AM
Well, first off, recurring villains need a retreat mechanism if things go poorly. Word of Recall on the Cleric list works (level 6 spell).

I'm guessing that most of the LA+RHD are coming in on one side of the gestalt, with the other pumping cleric levels as high as possible?

I'd pump some Heal spells on there... to keep the baddy alive, some buffs to drop prior to combat (Extend Spell can be nice here). The Cleric spell list is kind of low on the "Disable target without killing them" spells... so watch out for that.

Feats: POWER ATTACK, to show them just how much damage they will face from this beasty... as it's an Ettin, it can cast more spells while acting, too. Frankly, as long as you play to it's Ettin strengths, I don't see how you can make this villain so that it WON'T scare your party with what it can do...

(I mean, it can cast a healing/buff spell on itself, and still get off attacks with a ridiculously large weapon... oh, Quicken Spell for some basic buffs might be a good idea... (e.g. Protection from Good, Divine Favor))

Just try to make sure that it sticks around long enough to be scary... and have fun!

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-28, 10:29 AM
Throw a few spells in from the Book of Vile Darkness onto your villians spell list. I'm thinking that one that causes your foes hand to tear off his arm and attack it's former possessor by stangling them to death? If that doesn't scare them, then they're scare proof.

I also like to abuse DMM:Persistant Spell and Nightsticks for villains, especially BBG's, just because it prevents players from being able to surprise attack and demolish an entire campaign.

Crimson Avenger
2008-02-28, 11:39 AM
There is always that. The party has already teleported (Dim Door actually) into the biggins lair to chew on some minions. I figure I've got as much time as I need to buff.