PDA

View Full Version : Trivæ: a World Building Project

Staven
2008-02-28, 05:44 PM
Campaign Setting: Trivæ

Featured in my new campaign, Paroxysm, the land of Trivæ has a long and interesting history, which I’m going to write out now. I’ll be adding to it occasionally.

Years ago, the world was a young place, where disasters plagued the land, things like hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes and dragon storms. The ones who had created the world were not quite satisfied, as its intelligent inhabitants were scarce, at first, because of the difficulty of creating a lasting civilization. When sorcery was discovered, many great mages rose in power and lead their respective people to a place they had seen in their dreams. Hundreds of thousands of people flooded across everyone, as they journey there took exactly three years from anywhere in the world. This annoyed the mages who led them severely. At any rate, the people finally made their way to the land that a human named Trivæ, which, in a dialect of Draconic, means “Three Years” after their long journey.
After landing in Trivæ, the tribes made their way to the center of the land, which took them another year, and finally met in the middle. The tribes were looking at the largest mountain they had ever seen. To their left and right, all of the other tribes stood, marveling at the mountain’s majesty. The magi all ascended the mountain, meeting at its peak. It seemed that they would all want more than the other, but a miraculous thing happened: the declared peace, just like that, and partitioned Trivæ in to two pieces: North and South. The two lands were known as just that, and the tribes settled throughout the land. The mages stayed behind and founded the city known as the Spire, using their increasing knowledge of magic to accomplish what would usually take hundreds of years to do. A giant citadel was erected on the peak of Mount Variel, as it was named. Thus their civilization began.

Ok, here's the world that I've been creating for awhile, for a humor/adventure (adventure takes priority) campaign I'm DMing for my group. What I want all of you (points at community with an Uncle Sam look) do is help me forge the history of the land for thousands of years, with all the races and such. A couple of perimeters though, before we begin. First, the Spire must stay for the duration of the build. Second, the impossible, but not implausible rule is in effect. If anything is really implausible, I'll tell you, but don't feel restricted. Third, I would like the world to be centered around Trivæ, but if you have any good ideas for other places, although they should be relevant. Ok, I'll let you take it from there. I'll be helping out as we go. Hopefully, this'll be big.

TacoClone
2008-02-28, 07:20 PM
Is that all the history and other stuff that there is? Like, do you have gods or anything?

If not, do you have an idea or theme (other than humor/adventure)?

I think it'd be a lot easier to work with if we had an idea of what type of world you want out of it.

Staven
2008-02-28, 07:29 PM
I wanted to leave it up to everyone who participates, but really, the normal pantheon is used (The one detailed in the players handbook). Other than that, you can pretty much go to town, but try to keep it reasonable.

TacoClone
2008-02-28, 07:37 PM
Alright, I can manage that.

However, all of my ideas are currently on thoughts of my own campaign world, and I'd rather not bring them all over to here, so I'll wait for someone else to make a comment that will hopefully spark my creativity.

Side note, do you want the kind of place Trivæ is at the end of this timeline to resemble the "Points of Light" theme of 4e? It doesn't have to, but they project will probably be able to use when 4e comes out, so it would only be fitting.

Staven
2008-02-28, 08:03 PM
Well, I spent like about 300$ on 3.5, so I sort of hate 4e with a passion. I prefer not to think about it most of the time, so I don't exactly get your reference, but mostly, just be creative. Push the envelope, etc.