PDA

View Full Version : Character Switchout

DrizztFan24
2008-02-28, 05:46 PM
Alright, in one of the campaigns I am currently playing in I control 2 characters. One is a psuedo-drizzt clone (rapier variant for higher crits) and the other is a , cover your eyes, monk. I hear you groaning now...but the monk is a grappler and anti-spellcaster because our party currently has no spellcasting, besides a bard that has decided to "neglect his magical studies."
I was thinking of trading out the monk for either a crafter warlock or a batman wizard. She just can't seem to do anything besides be sneaky...she also has a level in rogue to act as our anti trapper and lock picker. So if I was allowed to trade out the monk which other choice would you suggest? Crafter warlock or batman wizard? If you suggest batman wizard I would greatly appreciate a link to the legendary build guide that I keep reading about. Any suggestion for you to keep the trapfinding ability would be greatly appreciated.
ALSO, I have found a set of homebrewed feats (I think it takes a total of 3 feats) on dandwiki.com that will allow my drizzt clone to eliminate his fighting penalty. As he is currently level 9 that will leave him some extra feat slots. Any suggestions for those extra slots? He is the skirmish fighter that uses his dexterity to his advantage instead of wading in and going toe-to-toe with the baddies. Any homebrewed yet balanced feats are surely welcome.

I figued you might want the clones stats :smallwink:
STR: 13
DEX: 18
CON: 16
INT: 15
WIS: 15
CHA: 11

Raolin_Fenix
2008-02-28, 05:50 PM
Batman Wizard will be a thousand times stronger, but also a thousand times cheesier. Up to you, matter of personal preference. Here's the link to The Logic Ninja's Guide to Being Batman.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500

AslanCross
2008-02-28, 06:02 PM
The Batman Wizard will certainly be much cheesier.
The Warlock would make up for his lack of options by crafting wands and scribing scrolls of spells he otherwise wouldn't have access to. Of course, this is all dependent on UMD, but no Warlock has ever complained about that before.
If you ask me I'd go with Warlock, but it may take more time up since you actually do have to craft. In the Warlock's favor is that he can actually eventually gain the ability to craft healing stuff.

EDIT: The Warlock's Imbue Item doesn't come until Lv 12, so it might be more prudent to just go with Wizard.

Toliudar
2008-02-28, 07:19 PM
If your group has no spellcasters, odds are good that somebody is already filling the "damage from a distance" role that will be your crafter warlock's main role in battle, wands or no. There are lots of wizard builds that have nothing to do with cheese, or you can go from a sprinkle of parmesan to a full wheel of gouda. For the utility, battlefield control and buffing spells, your group will thank you.

In short: Be the goddam Batman.

Artanis
2008-02-28, 07:37 PM
I agree with the others that the Bat-Wizard would be more powerful, which is why I suggest using the Warlock. It sounds like your party is nowhere near optimized enough to keep up with a Batman Wizard, and there's a good chance that making one will just make the rest of the party superfluous, which is no fun for anybody.

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-28, 08:02 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't remind you of Beguiler, an excellent sneaky type spell caster from PHB2, with some cool Feint bonuses. Wizard is better overall, of course, and will be the most powerful choice. Warlocks are relatively weak (but fun!) unless you optimize the heck out of them, and take Hellfire levels. If you do pick Warlock, remember to select Eldritch Glaive from Dragon magic as soon as you have a BAB of 6 or higher.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-28, 08:33 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't remind you of Beguiler, an excellent sneaky type spell caster from PHB2, with some cool Feint bonuses. Wizard is better overall, of course, and will be the most powerful choice. Warlocks are relatively weak (but fun!) unless you optimize the heck out of them, and take Hellfire levels. If you do pick Warlock, remember to select Eldritch Glaive from Dragon magic as soon as you have a BAB of 6 or higher.

I already play a beguiler in another campaign, I am looking for the diversity of the batman or the diversity of warlock craftablility, so far it sounds like batman would be the better choice. Any spells or items that would grant trap finding? or do I go with Rogue1/wizardX/combination of Initiate of 7FV, wayfarerguide, mindbender, fatespinner?

and no advice for the drizzt clone? pitty

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-28, 08:39 PM
Advice for the Drizzt Clone: It sucks and should die. You should be ashamed. :smalltongue:

Onto the batman proper: If you're thinking of taking a level of rogue.. Don't. Take a level of spellthief and pick up the Master Spellthief feat. Master Spellthief affects the level of spells you can steal by changing it over to be dependent on your arcane caster level. So that you can later steal spells from other wizards via sneak-attack capable spells. Take levels of Unseen Seer to upgrade your sneak attack, and learn any sort of ray-attack spell to apply your sneak attack to spells.

Oh, and you still get trapfinding. As if that was relevant.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-28, 11:39 PM
Advice for the Drizzt Clone: It sucks and should die. You should be ashamed. :smalltongue:

*cries in a corner* :smalltongue:

Where would I find this..."spellthief" you speak of? I don't know if I need the spell stealing but the trapfinding would be important. I am looking for someone that can help even out a very poorly optimized and built group.

Kizara
2008-02-29, 01:44 AM
Consider a Cleric with the trickery and magic domains.

1) You're a cleric, you can pick up any melee slack there is.

2) You're a healer, so you can pick up the pieces when your group screws up.

3) You are a tank that heals itself.

4) You get Find Traps as a 2nd-level (IIRC) spell, as if that's relivant.

5) You know what a solution to traps is? Summoned stuff. Summon things in and set off traps with them, nuff said. Get a wand of Knock if you need to get open a door or somesuch. A wand of invisibility if you need to be sneaky.

You don't really need magic items as a cleric anyways, anything is merely gravy.

Edit: However, if you need some buy-priorities, grab the best Periphat of Wis you can manage, a Necklace of Prayer Beads (the normal one, as the bead you are mainly looking for is the karma one), a Belt of Battle (MIC, any character benefits from raw cheese), a Ring of Counterspelling (which you cast Dispel Magic into), and +1 heavy fort. armor of your preferance. Don't buy things like a Ring of Protection or higher then +1 enchanted weapons or armor as they are overidden by buffs you can cast.

6) Divine Power + Righteous Might = Win. Seriously, look at what Righteous Might actually does. Nothing really competes with that (non-druid), its insane.

7) Grab Quicken Spell and Divine Metamagic (CDiv) (Quicken Spell). Also grab power attack, EWP (spiked chain) and extra turning. Now you can quicken a spell 3 times a day. Heal in the same round as you full attack, quicken cast your buffs in an ambush etc.

Seriously, Czilla ftw! Screw batman. You don't need battlefield control or save-or-dies when you can just solo the encounter.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-29, 01:49 AM
Warlock is the best anti-trap character out there. Reanimate a dog, send it running ahead of you, then Elderich Blast the trap that hits it into oblivion.

Then re-animate the dog.