PDA

View Full Version : $ making ideas

wojonatior
2008-02-28, 07:16 PM
hey i was gonna save up for a mac book(beacuse macs rule:smallbiggrin:) and i need some ideas to make some money and some restrictions on the ideas include the fact that im 13:smallfrown:

Keris
2008-02-28, 07:29 PM
I suggest:
Begging relatives,
Getting a paper round,
Requesting it as a Birthday Gift.

wojonatior
2008-02-28, 08:12 PM
I suggest:
Begging relatives,
Getting a paper round,

begging doesnt work in my family(and im not low enough to try it)
whats a paper round
and im requesting $ as my birthday gift anyways

Shas aia Toriia
2008-02-28, 08:17 PM
A few things.
1. Please use proper grammar
2. Ask for the computer, not the money
3. Why do you need a computer at 13?
4. He means delivering a newspaper.

TRM
2008-02-28, 08:19 PM
I suggest:
Begging relatives,
Getting a paper round,
Kids in the U.S can't get paper routes these days, it's all adults in cars (sorry if I make assumptions about where he lives).

Pet sitting and baby sitting work very well; 'course people are less willing to leave their small children with boys than girls, but whatever.

Don't spend it. I'm too young to get a job also and since I don't have any expenses, I just deposit every penny I get in the bank to accumulate (though this won't get you money fast...)

wojonatior
2008-02-28, 08:26 PM
A few things.
1. Please use proper grammar
2. Ask for the computer, not the money
3. Why do you need a computer at 13?
4. He means delivering a newspaper.

1. sorry about that. i usually try, but i have been playing WoW a bit recently
2. my parents wouldnt flat out buy it they're not that gracious(but i do have 2 sets of parents and im planning on asking all for money, which shoulc cover adecent chunk)
3. cause i surf the net way too much and want to use the computer whenever i want and not have to worry about my mom say no im using it and im a computer geek and couse all of my family is going mac(my dad,mom,stepdad(has been for a while though),brother,stepmom)

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-28, 08:27 PM
Don't spend it. I'm too young to get a job also and since I don't have any expenses, I just deposit every penny I get in the bank to accumulate (though this won't get you money fast...)

You could ask your folks to invest it on your behalf, but that's tricky too. Alternately, an annuity-type insurance system might work as well(although maybe not, since the premiums can be really too high for a kid's allowance savings to pay, depending).

Forthork
2008-02-28, 08:34 PM
There is absolutely no reason a thirteen-year-old should buy a $1,000+ laptop. If you must buy a laptop, at least get a cheap $500 Windows (or Linux if you are up to it) laptop. You can get specs close to the Macbook, for half the price.

TRM
2008-02-28, 08:50 PM
There is absolutely no reason a thirteen-year-old should buy a $1,000+ laptop. If you must buy a laptop, at least get a cheap $500 Windows (or Linux if you are up to it) laptop. You can get specs close to the Macbook, for half the price.
I'm gonna disagree with you. If you use it enough, even a 13 y.o can need a good computer. And if you have a cutting edge computer, it will still be useful in a few years when you're off to college or wherever; My family has had an eMac that we've nursed almost (6??) years out of and still works for all of our needs (we just added Leopard to it!!)

Though, yes, you do have a point. It might work better to get a slightly less snazzy computer now (like an iBook?) and buff it up a little (with webcams and mikes, etc...) and come out almost as good and way ahead in the $$ department.

Raider
2008-02-28, 08:56 PM
crack

I've done babysitting for my parent's friend's children. Great money at the time. Also I'd suggest shoveling snow if you live in an area where it falls.

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-28, 09:08 PM
I did yard work and babysitting for 2 families for $10/hour. It was nice, $60 a week or more just for the babysitting part.

Forthork
2008-02-28, 09:40 PM
I'm gonna disagree with you. If you use it enough, even a 13 y.o can need a good computer. And if you have a cutting edge computer, it will still be useful in a few years when you're off to college or wherever; My family has had an eMac that we've nursed almost (6??) years out of and still works for all of our needs (we just added Leopard to it!!)

Though, yes, you do have a point. It might work better to get a slightly less snazzy computer now (like an iBook?) and buff it up a little (with webcams and mikes, etc...) and come out almost as good and way ahead in the $$ department.

If his reasoning for getting a Mac is because "macs rule", then obviously he has bought into their advertising and needs little more than an internet machine (which I believe he has also stated). Newegg has a laptop with a bigger screen and a 500mhz slower processor for over $500 less than an entry-level Macbook. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115445
That is easily good enough to surf the web. I apologize for acting like I hate Macs, but I go to a school with a lot of righ kids who think Macs are the best because they cost more. I actually prefer OSX over windows for day-to-day tasks, but I do not feel it's worth the premium.

V: The Eee is great, should be fine for web-browsing and such, but it is much slower than a Macbook or the laptop I linked to. I just wanted to say that you could save money without really sacrificing speed.

Wizard Guy
2008-02-28, 09:52 PM
or there is the ASUS Eee PC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC) for even less money, plus it comes with Linux.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-02-28, 11:53 PM
Kids these days seem to think they need everything. I didn't get a computer (desktop) or a cell phone until I was in college. I saw no reason to have one myself before that, and it seemed to work out just fine using the family one. wojonatior, in my experience, if your parents say you're on the computer too much you probably are. I suggest finding a hobby, or go outside and find something to do. The outdoors is a wonderful thing.

I'm gonna disagree with you. If you use it enough, even a 13 y.o can need a good computer. And if you have a cutting edge computer, it will still be useful in a few years when you're off to college or wherever...

Even a top of the line computer reaches it peak performance in around four years. There's no way he's going to get a computer to last to college, let alone through it.

Crispy Dave
2008-02-29, 01:22 AM
step 1:buy a guitar
step 2:learn to play it
step 3:play in front of grocery store(the more expensive one)
step 4:profit

im on step 2 currently

TRM
2008-02-29, 10:06 AM
*snip*
Even a top of the line computer reaches it peak performance in around four years. There's no way he's going to get a computer to last to college, let alone through it.
I stand corrected.
*hides in shame at his own imagined ignorance*

If his reasoning for getting a Mac is because "macs rule", then obviously he has bought into their advertising and needs little more than an internet machine (which I believe he has also stated). Newegg has a laptop with a bigger screen and a 500mhz slower processor for over $500 less than an entry-level Macbook.
But Macs do rule. Apple is god. Must purchase Macintoshes... :smallsigh:

Darth Mario
2008-02-29, 10:54 AM
If I read his reasoning correctly, he's getting a mac because everyone else in his family has a mac/is getting a mac, which is a perfectly reasonable reason to want one.

However, Mac fanatic that I am, I'm actually going to suggest you go with a cheap PC and put Ubuntu on it. Sure, OSX is nicer and easier to use, but Linux is stable and Ubuntu is fairly easy to use as well. (I dual-boot OSX and Ubuntu on my MacBook.) From what I understand, you don't need a Mac, it would just be more convenient for things like file transfers and music sharing, which is actually not that hard to do Mac-to-PC.

If you must, get a laptop with XP, but avoid Vista like That Damn Crab.

LCR
2008-02-29, 10:59 AM
If everybody in your family's getting a Mac, why don't you buy a Mac mini? It's cheaper than their laptops and I don't think you need a laptop at 13 (correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know how much sense there is in bringing a computer to school in the US).

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-02-29, 11:06 AM
If I read his reasoning correctly, he's getting a mac because everyone else in his family has a mac/is getting a mac, which is a perfectly reasonable reason to want one.

Saying that is like saying he wants to go jump off a bridge because everyone else he knows is doing it.

Mr. Friendly
2008-02-29, 11:08 AM
Maybe you could invent something? I mean look at the pet rock. The guy who invented it made a million dollars.

/obscure?

Castaras
2008-02-29, 11:32 AM
At the age of 13, you could create a program to hack into the bank computer system, and use it to transfer 50p from each account to yours. Depending on the popularity of the bank you choose, you can get a nice, healthy sum of money, and 50p is more than likely to just go unnoticed by most bank-goers.

<.< >.>

onasuma
2008-02-29, 11:34 AM
Im in a similar situation (although im not planning on blowing my cash one a mac *spits*). Anyhow, if you have long hair, a way i raised/ am in the process of raising about 100 pounds is a head shaving thingy. Sure it looks stupid, but hey, you've got roughly half a cheap comp, or a quater of a better one, without doing much. If you have short hair, well, ignore that.

Keris
2008-02-29, 11:41 AM
What kind of man would volentarily shorten his hair?:smalleek:

I suggest finding a hobby, or go outside and find something to do. The outdoors is a wonderful thing.

wadledo
2008-02-29, 11:45 AM
@Castaras: Tried it, don't work to well.
You'd be surprised at the number of banks that do it themselves.:smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2008-02-29, 12:12 PM
1. sorry about that. i usually try, but i have been playing WoW a bit recently
2. my parents wouldnt flat out buy it they're not that gracious(but i do have 2 sets of parents and im planning on asking all for money, which shoulc cover adecent chunk)
3. cause i surf the net way too much and want to use the computer whenever i want and not have to worry about my mom say no im using it and im a computer geek and couse all of my family is going mac(my dad,mom,stepdad(has been for a while though),brother,stepmom)

World of Warcraft player, with two sets of parents, with home web access and the whole family has a computer each? Gee whiz it's another world.

[Edit]Actual money idea, TV extra. Involves parental influence but possible.

Or create a chore charge rota where going above the normal amount of free chores that you usually do incurs a rate of so much per task.

So you create a list and attach a price for each one. Say first $15 worth is free and anything over that in a week incurrs the charge.

Jack Squat
2008-02-29, 12:38 PM
First, go outside. the fresh air will do you good.

Feeling alright now? good.

Now that that's settled, don't get a mac. They're ungodly expensive, always have been. You can get a decent computer down at Best Buy or Circut City, heck, even Wal-Mart carries decent web-surfing computers. You can still have a Windows/Linux machine network to macs, if that's what you're worried about not being able to do. I would suggest when you get the computer to format it and stick a Linux OS onto it, so as not to worry about viruses as much, but I'm currenty typing from a Dell installed with Vista Ultimate, so take that how you will.

Although I really don't see why you'd need a computer in the first place. Not unless you're trying to hide something from your parents. I mean, you're a kid...go outside and do kid-things like climbing trees, playing hide-and-seek, or trying what the highest object you can jump over is.

If you must get the money for it though, mow lawns. I stocked up about $400 over a summer from doing two yards, making about 12 bucks per lawn, and a little more on other odd jobs I had to do (painting mostly). Now, I was 15 when I did this, not 13, but as long as you're mature, you shouldn't have a problem.

Other ways, babysitting or lemonade, kool aid stand.

sikyon
2008-02-29, 12:47 PM

The only problem you face with a laptop lasting that long is that the battery is going to turn to crap by that point. Otherwise hardware components should be fine, as long as you don't incure abuse on it. For example, generally speaking computer CPU's will last at least 10 years of use.

You don't need a great laptop for college. You don't need a great video card, you don't need a great sound card. All you really need is a good battery and word processing. Frankly, if you are expecting to play top of the line games on a labtop, you should get a desktop. Any stats on a laptop can be bumped up substantially on a desktop for less.

Edit:

Also, you should note that just getting your own computer isn't going to stop your parents from making you stop using it. Trust me.

Bayar
2008-02-29, 12:57 PM
The bad part with MAC's is if they break, you have to buy it again.

If a PC breaks, get the spare part...it is cheaper.

And yeah, lay off the WoW for about 4 months, and then play it 2 months...it is better.

Telonius
2008-02-29, 01:01 PM
@Castaras: Tried it, don't work to well.
You'd be surprised at the number of banks that do it themselves.:smalltongue:

Idea: Open a bank.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-29, 03:32 PM
Maybe you could invent something? I mean look at the pet rock. The guy who invented it made a million dollars.

/obscure?

Or think something up.
The guy who made runescape(at age 15/16) is now 19 and a millionair, becouse he asked 3.50$ for membership per month, and then all the noobs flocked to it and got membership becouse it was 'cool' and 'everybody else was doing it'.

But if I understand you correctly, you say everybody in your family uses an mac?
I truly pity your family...
Or you could just get an old one from your dad/whatever when he buys a new one.
It worked for me, my pc had belonged to my GRAND father! And it worked just fine, until a few years ago. But then again, around the half of my family messes with pc's for their jobs, so we tinker them up, my current pc was put toghetter by my dad and me(it has windows XP on it) and plenty of room for games, good internet connection etc.

You could also find a hole in the market, a guy who graduated from my current school has 1.3 mil euro now becouse a few years back(still in school) he found a hole in the market, he started an site which would compare phone prices etc. entry was like 50 eurocent.

Its just attracting the crowd in that kind of stuff.......

What? Did you want me to talk even MORE?

onasuma
2008-02-29, 04:47 PM

One who, like me, needs the money.

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-02-29, 05:45 PM
Wasn't the original idea behind macs that they wouldn't break on you and be complicated? Because if that is the case then there shouldn't be any mac help websites, which there are.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-01, 06:05 AM

/obscure?

Or think something up.
The guy who made runescape(at age 15/16) is now 19 and a millionair, becouse he asked 3.50$ for membership per month, and then all the noobs flocked to it and got membership becouse it was 'cool' and 'everybody else was doing it'.

But if I understand you correctly, you say everybody in your family uses an mac?
I truly pity your family...
Or you could just get an old one from your dad/whatever when he buys a new one.
It worked for me, my pc had belonged to my GRAND father! And it worked just fine, until a few years ago. But then again, around the half of my family messes with pc's for their jobs, so we tinker them up, my current pc was put toghetter by my dad and me(it has windows XP on it) and plenty of room for games, good internet connection etc.

You could also find a hole in the market, a guy who graduated from my current school has 1.3 mil euro now becouse a few years back(still in school) he found a hole in the market, he started an site which would compare phone prices etc. entry was like 50 eurocent.

Its just attracting the crowd in that kind of stuff.......

What? Did you want me to talk even MORE?

Keris
2008-03-01, 06:27 AM
Didn't you already say that? Like, fourteen and a half hours ago?

One who, like me, needs the money.

I haven't cut my hair in over a year, so for me short hair would be wierd. But if that's how far you're willing to go...

Artemician
2008-03-01, 06:41 AM
Get a part-time job. Get a job serving customers at McDonalds, Wallmart, or whatever. Offer to do people's chores (including the stereotypical mow the lawn). Spend less time wearing out the analog sticks on your 360 and get off your lazy butt and do some work.

Effort brings results. If you're not willing to work, you won't get anything, plain and simple. And no, you are not too busy to get what you want. You can never be.

Jack Squat
2008-03-01, 12:02 PM
Get a part-time job. Get a job serving customers at McDonalds, Wallmart, or whatever. Offer to do people's chores (including the stereotypical mow the lawn). Spend less time wearing out the analog sticks on your 360 and get off your lazy butt and do some work.

Effort brings results. If you're not willing to work, you won't get anything, plain and simple. And no, you are not too busy to get what you want. You can never be.

He's 13...can't get an official job. The whole odd-job thing is perfectly fine though, and has been suggested several times.

wojonatior
2008-03-01, 01:14 PM
ok are we done discussing what i should i buy or are we gonna discuss money making ideas?
i am buying a macbook cause I'm not much of a computer gamer(and if you are going to stereotype me as a gamer don't cause i play hockey and i am in boy-scouts) the 2 things i use my computer are for wow and internet surfing. also i want a laptop cause if i get a desktop the only way im gonna get internet is if I'm in the same room as our router(the office) and my step-dad isn't too keen on that idea. plus the two wireless internet things i got aren't too nice. the first one was half half most of the time but the and one worked fine then stopped working like a month ago. also it is useful to have a computer where ever i go cause i don't like having to sit at one place to use a computer. and if i wanted a windows machine or linux i already would have gotten it. why? because there are so many spare parts laying around my dad's house(like a 250Gb hard drive) that i could construct whatever computer i would have wanted. and i already have 2 desktops that my uncle gave me (one of which i am trying to get to register the windows disk) as for the life expectancy issue all i would need is mabey a new battery.
and i am willing to work(if you don't think so my uncle gave me a 40k blood angels army and i painted it all myself over like an entire summer)
so there mabey we can discuss how to make money instead of telling me how to spend my money I'm smart enough on that front or which os is better cause i will start a thread if you want to argue which os is better or even better i will send you my os comparison paper.

wadledo
2008-03-01, 01:15 PM
If I may:

Work is a four letter word.

Jack Squat
2008-03-01, 03:32 PM
ok are we done discussing what i should i buy or are we gonna discuss money making ideas?
i am buying a macbook cause I'm not much of a computer gamer(and if you are going to stereotype me as a gamer don't cause i play hockey and i am in boy-scouts) the 2 things i use my computer are for wow and internet surfing. also i want a laptop cause if i get a desktop the only way im gonna get internet is if I'm in the same room as our router(the office) and my step-dad isn't too keen on that idea. plus the two wireless internet things i got aren't too nice. the first one was half half most of the time but the and one worked fine then stopped working like a month ago. also it is useful to have a computer where ever i go cause i don't like having to sit at one place to use a computer. and if i wanted a windows machine or linux i already would have gotten it. why? because there are so many spare parts laying around my dad's house(like a 250Gb hard drive) that i could construct whatever computer i would have wanted. and i already have 2 desktops that my uncle gave me (one of which i am trying to get to register the windows disk) as for the life expectancy issue all i would need is mabey a new battery.
and i am willing to work(if you don't think so my uncle gave me a 40k blood angels army and i painted it all myself over like an entire summer)
so there mabey we can discuss how to make money instead of telling me how to spend my money I'm smart enough on that front or which os is better cause i will start a thread if you want to argue which os is better or even better i will send you my os comparison paper.

First, some constructive critisism on your writing. You only used the shift key once, it makes it easier to read if you capitalize the beginning of each sentance. Also, a paragraph is a single idea, that second one you have could probably be split up into two or three. It's also poor form to start a sentance with conjunctions. This isn't meant to offend, just giving some advice you may be able to use for English class.

Now onto what you wrote. If you want to get a Macbook, fine. It's your money, do with i what you want. All we were saying was that a Windows/Linux mchine would give you more bang for your buck, especially for what little you're doing with it. Macs are designed more for graphic artists, always have been. Because of this, they tend to be on the more pricy side because they're "specialty machines." You can just as easily play WoW and surf the 'net on a $500 PC as you can on a $1000 Mac.

There have been several ideas on here how someone of your age could make money. I'm not going to restate them here, but feel free to read back over them and comment.

Forthork
2008-03-01, 05:28 PM
i am buying a macbook cause I'm not much of a computer gamer(and if you are going to stereotype me as a gamer don't cause i play hockey and i am in boy-scouts) the 2 things i use my computer are for wow and internet surfing.

Which can be easily done on the laptop I pointed out, which costs half as much as the Macbook.

plus the two wireless internet things i got aren't too nice. the first one was half half most of the time but the and one worked fine then stopped working like a month ago.

Now maybe I am mistaken, as deciphering this is difficult, but if your wireless internet is flaky, wouldn't using a laptop be a problem?

What does this have to do with work?

so there mabey we can discuss how to make money instead of telling me how to spend my money I'm smart enough on that front

Now, I will not insult your intelligence, but in my opinion, it is much smarter to buy a Windows laptop for half the price of a Macbook, when they can accomplish the same thing. But, you can your money how you want. I am merely pointing out that you can get the same performance for less cost, meaning you have to work less.

And please, can you use capitalization and at least consider commas?

wojonatior
2008-03-01, 05:58 PM
The wireless internet in my house works fine for all the other people in my house, but me. Next thing is that painting an entire 40k army takes forever and is a lot of work. As for buying a Mac i would prefer to have a better quality computer, which doesn't randomly flake out and crash. Also apple's os is more preferable for quality and ease of use.

Arang
2008-03-01, 06:30 PM
I don't know about stability, Windows has never crashed when it wasn't my fault, and even then it's like twenty times in the last fifteen years. Really, if you want my advice on making money: get any laptop that is not a Mac. 500 bucks right there.

Do chores around the house, mow lawns, babysit, buy and deliver people's groceries. Ask your friends and classmates what they do when they need money. Sell your old books, old games, old toys, old clothes and kidney(s). Sell some of your dad's spare computer parts. Do not spend money on anything else. Start a curse jar and embezzle the money. Pretend to be a homeless person.

Forthork
2008-03-01, 06:58 PM
The wireless internet in my house works fine for all the other people in my house, but me. Next thing is that painting an entire 40k army takes forever and is a lot of work. As for buying a Mac i would prefer to have a better quality computer, which doesn't randomly flake out and crash. Also apple's os is more preferable for quality and ease of use.

Alright. I know this thread is about money making ideas, but I just want to share my views on OS's. True, OSX might be more user-friendly and stable than XP, but I don't find XP not user-friendly in the least. And the only time my system crashes is when I am playing games and have my graphics card overclocked and the like. But, I cannot speak for the stability of laptops and desktops purchased as a whole. Still, would say that Windows would be fine, and if you really want stability, Linux is as good or better than OSX. Now as for user-friendliness, it would be the least of the three, but really, for web-surfing and WoW (even under Wine on a laptop, WoW should run fine, I think?) there is not much an OS can do to make it hard. So, OSX may be better, but is it worth $500? Again, it is your money, I am merely here to advise.

As for the Warhammer, I have done some painting (not a whole army) and I have done some menial not-yet-allowed-to-legally-work work, and I have to say, I would much rather paint an army (if I got paid).

Another suggestion I have is maybe buying a wireless adapter for a desktop, make one out of what you have, and deal with it for a year or two until you save enough money for a laptop. Also, quit WoW. If you do get a job, this will free up time. If you don't, it will at least free up money.

Again, all this is advise and my opinion. Do what you want. Now, to get on-topic, I do have one money-making idea that has worked well for me. I you father has all these spare parts, would he be willing to let you sell them? You would be amazed at what some people would pay for a working computer or an obsolete part.

Thes Hunter
2008-03-01, 07:28 PM
I can't remember what the legal restrictions are on working when you are that age, but there are all sorts of possibilities, even in an economy as bad as Michigan's is right now.

1) Farm help.
2) Start a business doing outside chores (shoveling snow, mowing lawns, raking leaves, picking up poo (good money in that), etc.)
3) Babysit, especially all day in the summer. Find kids that like to do what you do, and it's all good. Then it's like running around playing all day but getting paid for it.
4) Any random scut work for any relatives or friend's of a families business.

I respect that you want to buy your own computer and not depend on your parents to provide it. Bravo to you, young sir.

Jack Squat
2008-03-01, 10:48 PM

OK, a Mac is NOT a better quality computer. Back when I used Macs, I had it crash much, much, more than I have ever had a Windows machine crash. Macs are more expensive because they're marketed towards graphic designers and middle class people who get sucked into the whole "Macs are cool" thing. Now, I'm sure they're more reliable than they were 5 or so years ago when I last used one, but they aren't invincible.

Computers aren't always get-what-you-pay-for, that's only in regards to hardware.

Again, it's your money, spend it how you want to; but take those blinders off, you need to see the whole picture.

Totally Guy
2008-03-03, 07:20 AM
There's the answer right there.

Contract yourself out to paint a war hammer army for someone.

wojonatior
2008-03-06, 11:44 PM
im not exactly the best im still finishing up details and mistakes