PDA

View Full Version : Zoo Keeper

Leon
2008-02-28, 09:09 PM
Druid//Nature variant Bard would get 2 Animal Companions correct?
With Wild Cohort Allowing a 3rd and Beastmaster PrC (for sucessivly weaker animals)

DementedFellow
2008-02-28, 10:14 PM
Am I crazy in assuming that you got this idea from Futurama?

Were I you, I'd exchange the variant Bard class for a Sorcerer class. Typically familiars have a couple benefits that animal companions don't have. Such as speaking to animals of its own kind when the character turns level 7.

I like the idea of your build a lot. Although it kinda nerfs the druid class a little bit. Your role from tank would be changed to healer and buffer. Since a couple of your creatures would have a higher damage capacity, depending on what level and whatnot. Besides, you wouldn't want any to die, because that could hurt your leadership score and it could even affect your XP if your familiar bites it.

Leon
2008-02-28, 11:40 PM
Um, no i'd just been thinking Druids and Bards for a while and put the two together as i quite like variants and odd combinations over standard and it snowballed. Arcane Hierophant came to mind as well - Since it makes a AC like a Familiar with out the actual need for a familiar

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-29, 12:47 AM
Don't forget Natural Bond, Companion Spellcasting, and a one-level dip into sorcerer for the animal companion variant.

Magnor Criol
2008-02-29, 12:52 AM
I think it's more likely that rather than getting two animal companions, the two class features would stack, and thus you'd use both your druid and variant bard levels to determine your animal companion's abilities and stats.

Usually two identical class features, when gained from two separate classes, stack rather than granting the same ability twice.

Though, it's up to what your DM allows, really.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-29, 01:25 AM
I think it's more likely that rather than getting two animal companions, the two class features would stack, and thus you'd use both your druid and variant bard levels to determine your animal companion's abilities and stats.

Usually two identical class features, when gained from two separate classes, stack rather than granting the same ability twice.

Though, it's up to what your DM allows, really.It's less broken if they stack. Look at it this way, which would you rather face in combat, a pair of Crocodiles or a Bloodstriker?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-29, 01:41 AM
Am I crazy in assuming that you got this idea from Futurama?
"...and a seldom-used crab named Pinchy, also known as Citizen Snips."

Ganurath
2008-02-29, 02:03 AM
"...and a seldom-used crab named Pinchy, also known as Citizen Snips."Apparently the Zookeeper forgot his Epic Templates. Somebody call Fax.

If you want to go wild and crazy with animal companions, I suggest you either settle for one good one like Dire Badger to drag your foes underground, or get a noncaster archery Ranger to go into Beastmaster to spam Dire Badgers. If you don't really care about the individual animals though, Holt Warden gets an easy +4 to wild empathy if you go in as a Druid. Who needs an animal companion when you can send a stampede of buffalo through downtown Greyhawk?

Leon
2008-02-29, 02:16 AM
Who needs an animal companion when you can send a stampede of buffalo through downtown Greyhawk?

Well the among the other things i'm working on is a Bison Riding Fighter.....

makes me think of the Beastmaster Hero from Warcraft 3 and his ultimate ability - Thunder Lizard herd