PDA

View Full Version : My Proudest Moment

Burley
2008-02-29, 10:37 AM
So, last night, I was playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I did something that I never dreamed I'd do: I beat three enemies, level 9. I was on handicap one and they were on handicap nine! It was the hardest thing I could think of. (Enemies were Falco, Link and Roy versus my Ness :smallcool:)

So, what was your crowning moment?

Arang
2008-02-29, 10:54 AM
I won a game of C&C: Generals using one unit.

Specifically, I drove a Gattling Tank into the back of my opponent's base and killed his dozer and infantry. He surrendered before I could send anything more at him.

Cristo Meyers
2008-02-29, 10:59 AM
Most memorable: I beat the Cydonia base pt 2 (X-COM) with only 1 trooper.

Most recent: Sins of a Solar Empire: I beat back a very large (5+ capital ship, numerous cruisers) Advent fleet with only two fleets of my own. Probably outnumbered around 1.5 to 1 if the fighters are included. Lost numerous capital ships but still managed to turn them back.

Upcoming: figuring out which new ships go where now that the battle's over...:smalleek:

Project_Mayhem
2008-02-29, 11:12 AM
Getting Platinum on behead the undead, TS2. That challenge was supreme. I'd pay full price for a game that just had that in it.

Xefas
2008-02-29, 11:24 AM
I beat Megaman Zero 2 (for the GBA) from start to finish in one sitting without dieing a single time, or using any non-permanent cyber elves.

Also, I beat an Insane Difficulty computer 1on1 in Dawn of War seven times in a row (one time for each race) as the Chaos.

Dunno how hard those particular feats are, but I'm proud of them nonetheless.

TwoBitWriter
2008-02-29, 12:05 PM
When I was a kid I beat Super Mario Brothers 3 using only my toes...

Mando Knight
2008-02-29, 04:45 PM
So, last night, I was playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I did something that I never dreamed I'd do: I beat three enemies, level 9. I was on handicap one and they were on handicap nine! It was the hardest thing I could think of. (Enemies were Falco, Link and Roy versus my Ness :smallcool:)

Were they allied with Friendly Fire turned off? If so... wow. Just wow.

The auto-handicap function is horribly broken in that game, though.

Metal Head
2008-02-29, 05:00 PM
In Oblivion I managed to rack up a bounty of over 1000, and avoid arrest for 2 hours of gaming while desperately searched for a thieves guild Doyen. This was all happening in the Imperial city. You wouldn't believe the amount of guards coming at me. The bounty kept going up because I kept killing the guards. And random bystanders.

Dumbledore lives
2008-02-29, 05:04 PM
Well in Oblivion I'm working on a huge pile of bodies in the Imperial City Market District. Right now I have about 18, though eventually I'm hoping for above 40.

TheThan
2008-02-29, 05:41 PM

So, what was your crowning moment?

I did that easy with Gannon.

but doing it with Ness, that's another matter... I'd give you a cookie, but I'm all out (and Ness needs to loose weight anyway)

Metal Head
2008-02-29, 06:10 PM
Well in Oblivion I'm working on a huge pile of bodies in the Imperial City Market District. Right now I have about 18, though eventually I'm hoping for above 40.

Are you doing it the stealthy way or just going for an all out massacre? The only problem with this is that if you kill the shopkeepers they won't be able to sell you any more stuff.

GrassyGnoll
2008-02-29, 06:32 PM
Winning an incredibly close DotA game with Spectre. Things got ugly and they started backdooring, so we returned in kind. In a single run I killed their tree with 46 health left and no surviving illusions.

Mando Knight
2008-02-29, 07:32 PM
I did that easy with Gannon.

That name...

Never existed. Never will. It's Ganon or Ganondorf only.

Mentioning that name is like mentioning these CD-i "Zelda games." They don't exist. If you find one, send it to me so that I can prove that it doesn't exist. The Fire of Burning Bad, Not-Supposed-to-Exist-Games has been lit.

warty goblin
2008-02-29, 08:28 PM
The time I headshot two stealthed Elites at once with one unzoomed shot from the Sniper Rifle comes to mind...

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-29, 08:41 PM
Finishing both the Neverwinter Nights 2 Original Campaign and Mask of the Betrayer Campaign in a row, with my first character for the very first time. It wasn't that hard of a game, but the epicness of the story I'd jsut finished made it well worth my while.

Mattarias, King.
2008-02-29, 09:50 PM
I beat the final boss of Tales of Legendia with only the main character. Boss' HP was slightly dented after the rest of my party was offed (I should have restocked on life bottles... Stupid NPCs stayed in his AoE splash attack..) and I was out of healies, so it was just me and the big guy. needless to say, it was hell. I was down to one (1!!) hit point by the time I beat him. I'm serious. :smalleek:

But it felt damn good when it was finally over. :smallbiggrin: It was epic.

Mr._Blinky
2008-02-29, 11:18 PM
Winning a 1 vs. 4 match of Halo 2 50 to 0. :smallamused: Okay, they killed me twice, but I managed to get those knocked off by some expert rocket dodging that ended up hitting their allies.

I basically just stealthed around the map with the sniper and BR, and grabbed the rocket when they were in a vehicle. Took 'em out Predator style.:smallcool:

Dumbledore lives
2008-03-01, 12:31 AM
Are you doing it the stealthy way or just going for an all out massacre? The only problem with this is that if you kill the shopkeepers they won't be able to sell you any more stuff.

Well I killed the person at Red Diamond Jewelry and kind of lure them in there, and then blast them with spells. After that I just use fireballs to blast 'em next to all the others. One thing I don't like is I killed that main guard guy but I can't use his shiny white and gold armor. That's one of the reasons I wanted to slaughter all of them.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-03-01, 02:00 AM
Back in the Gears of War days, I found myself on Mansion, with a full team vs a full team (4 v 4). While my comrades took the outside path, I told them I would grab the sniper on the inside and pluck off any enemies trying to avoid their wrath outside.

Needless to say, by the time I had gotten to the foot of the stairs... all of my members die, nearly instantaneously. Feeling a little.. well... screwed, I waited on the balcony for the enemies to come to me. After about a minute, I decided to head out the front door. But before I made it, a Locust with the chainsaw revving came out from behind the dresser near the door. I backed up a bit, pulled out my shotgun, and with the help of a nice active-reload, killed him. Feeling pretty proud that I got at least one of them, I walked outside. There were two coming from my right, 1 from my left. Well, from there I don't remember the exact details. All I remember was dashing around the terrain outside while the last one chased me (after I killed the other 2), which eventually ended up in a big shot gun fight, and me ending it all with an epic Curb-stomp. Moments in gaming like this are what makes me motivated to keep playing. :smallcool:

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-01, 02:19 AM
This was kind of awhile back.

I was playing Tribes (the first one). It was a mod, and I was using a Sniper Rifle. I look up in the sky and I see what is basically just a pixel or two. I'm not even quite sure how I could tell it was an enemy. Maybe I wasn't even sure and could have fragged a team mate.

I put the cursor a bit in front of the path, as leading ones shot is generally a good idea at long distance.

I get a message that I killed him. That guy must have been wondering what the hell just happened.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-03-01, 03:06 AM
In Rome: Total War I defeated the Senate's standing army with one platoon of archers and a general. The general did surgical strikes against enemy missiles until only melee and cavelry was left, archers then engaged cavelry with the general occasionally stepping in to avert a cavelry charge meant for the archers. Eventually the last horse went down and they had nothing that could hurt my archers. The odds were 30:1 pre-battle.

Artanis
2008-03-01, 12:15 PM
I was playing Massive Assault (www.massiveassault.com) against Tiger, who is quite literally the best player in the world. We were playing a "double", two matches where we swapped sides between them... and I won. I won both of them. It was the craziest, most demanding two matches I've ever played in ANY video game, and I managed to come out on top BOTH times against a player that simply Does. Not. Lose.

Cainen
2008-03-01, 02:19 PM
First run of I Wanna Be The Guy. Less than a hundred deaths.

Timberwolf
2008-03-01, 04:35 PM
Mechwarrior 4 multiplayer...

I said this last time we had this thread, but it's still my moment.

There is a very hard, very skillful, extremely humilating to have it done to you attack called the DFA. This stands for Death From Above. I've pulled a couple off, but I'm no great shakes at it and only try if I'm just messing around. Basically you run up a hill, fire your jump jets and try to land on your opponents head. If you get it right, it messes up his HUD or, if he's damaged there, kills him instantly.

Anyway, on the server one night is the guy who's known for DFAing. usually he runs around in a little light mech trying to DFA people. This night though, he's in a Thor, reasonably big, fairly nasty, jump jets, room for 2 big guns. I'm in a Shadowcat, medium - light weight, fast, manoevrable, jump jets, room for 1 big gun. As it's a city map, there's no hills, but there are parking garages. I run up the ramp for one, fire my jets and DFA him beautifully. while we're both sliding across the floor, somehow, in a John Woo moment, I get my torso twisted just far enough and shoot him in the centre torso (a killing spot if it's damaged enough). he'd already been in a fight so was damaged and blew up most spectacularly.

Another fine moment was the Castle of Tesla on C+C Red Alert 1. A friend walked right into the teeth of about 8 Tesla coils all arranged in a triangle. Crispy NATO tanks...

SurlySeraph
2008-03-01, 10:17 PM
In Rome: Total War I defeated the Senate's standing army with one platoon of archers and a general. The general did surgical strikes against enemy missiles until only melee and cavelry was left, archers then engaged cavelry with the general occasionally stepping in to avert a cavelry charge meant for the archers. Eventually the last horse went down and they had nothing that could hurt my archers. The odds were 30:1 pre-battle.

Wow. And you didn't run out of arrows before they fled how?

The closest I've ever come to that was holding off about 20 assorted units of German infantry and cavalry for almost an hour with a general and 4 units of spearmen, and they ended up beating me.

warty goblin
2008-03-01, 10:29 PM

The closest I've ever come to that was holding off about 20 assorted units of German infantry and cavalry for almost an hour with a general and 4 units of spearmen, and they ended up beating me.

In Medival 2: Total War, I once irradicated an ~1,000 man army with an equally sized army, but only took about 35 casualties, to my enemy's 700 or so. Hilariously our armies were almost identical, both very infantry and archer heavy (I was playing as Venice, fighting Milan). The key was that I had slightly better archers (Pavise crossbowmen to their peasant archers) and I was smarter. I kept my archers together, while the AI brought up their piecemeal, resulting in them getting cut to shreds in waves.

After they ran out of archers, I actually advanced under heavy coverfire, and summerly cut the rest of their army apart.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-03-02, 01:26 AM

C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\preferences
preferences
LIMITED_AMMO:FALSE

SilentNight
2008-03-04, 10:19 AM
Beating kingdom hearts 2 without dying once (even against seph :smalltongue: ).

Martok
2008-03-05, 01:02 AM
My proudest moment was in Medieval Total War -- the original that is, not the sequel. I was playing on Normal difficulty, Early era.

I was playing as the Spanish, and was invaded in Cordoba by an Almohad army of over 1200 men. I myself had only 450 men with which to defend the province, led by my king. Somehow, after 35 grueling minutes -- during which my lines wavered and nearly broke twice -- my king finally managed to personally slay the Caliph, which caused the remaining Almohad troops to (thankfully!) flee from the battlefield.

Final tally: I lost around 200-250 men, the Almos lost over 700. Considering that the AI in MTW is smarter than in later Total War games, *and* the fact that I'm generally only a mediocre military commander at best, I couldn't help but be enormously pleased with my victory. :smallbiggrin:

Daze
2008-03-06, 06:40 PM
Beating Baldur's Gate I & II on extreme difficulty was pretty cool.

Finally completing the Thunder Plain Lightning Challenge (for LuLu's weapon sigil) and Tidu's Chocobo Race in Final Fantasy X was a pretty darn good accomplishment too. Those were seriously two of the longest, hardest, most annoying things EVER.

Runar
2008-03-06, 07:31 PM
Rome: Total War, I beat a Gaul warlord, his 3 archer groups, and 4 naked fanatics with one group of a 25 cavalry general unit, and some Sammite Warriors, or whoever do that war cry thing.

And, I killed 5 grunts and an elite with one sniper shot in Halo 2. No scope.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-06, 09:33 PM
Either getting a headshot by randomly shooting in a random direction against my sister on Battlefront 2, or the string of victories of Michael the Merciless in Medieval 2.

Michael was my best general. I was France, and was fighting the Holy Roman Empire and Milan, on-off. First, when he was barely 18, him and his 17-year-old brother, Henri, take 2 armies to capture Metz, an Emperial Castle. Henri takes the infantry and archers and sieges Metz, while Michael goes past him with the cavalry, ready to head off an Emperial counterattack. He sees that Stauffen, a castle to the east, and a bit to the south of Metz, is weak, so he hires some Mercenary Spearmen, and seiges it. He takes Stauffen, but Henri is beaten off Metz, and is forced to retreat to Stauffen, where he will later die at the ripe old age of 56. Meanwhile, Michael went south with his army, and fought a string of battles, using only Mailed Knights and Mounted Sergeants, and defeats several large Milanese armies. One time, in the Alps, he was working in Tandem with the King, I can't remember his name, who had a large infantry army. They bring a large army against the King, and a small one against Michael. I do a little switcharoo maneouvre, and defeat both armies. In possibly my greatest victory yet, the Milanese had managed to use 3 armies of around 600 men to corner Michael's now weary army. It was win or die, no survivors if I lost. Due to my extra maneouverability, I defeated 1,200 troops in battle, Michael survived, and he retreated to recuperate. Michael, now Michael the Merciless, allowed another army to take the city of Genoa, then went North to fight a battle near the Emperial Fortress of Bern, Switzerland. He takes it, and later goes on to also take Innsbruck, in the Alps. He dies, 58, as Prince Michael the Merciless, though for a while, he was known as Michael the Horseman. He had full Command, full Dread, and full loyalty.

WoodenTable
2008-03-07, 03:04 AM
Battlefield 1942. The Midway Island map. 10 minutes in and the Americans were winning, their planes were everywhere, and I had an amazing 0 kills so far. Yeah, I wasn't very good. We needed to shoot down planes, badly. All the AA guns seemed to be useless in my hands, so I hopped into the back of a destroyer - meaning, the guns normally used as artillery vs ships and ground emplacements. I wasn't even sure if they could damage planes (realism, see).

Turns out, those are awesome against planes. I had 32 kills by the end of the match, solely from blowing fighters and bombers out of the sky with the rear guns. I turned the battle right around. All those aces zipping around in planes had never had to dodge 1-kit-kill artillery shots before. It was glorious. :smallbiggrin:

And I got even better in later games! Me and one guy, both engineers, kept a destroyer alive the entire match that way once. We avoided the enemy battleship, and just batted planes out of the sky. He even blasted some with the front guns - not an easy feat, since they only fire half as many shots. He was the only person I ever saw start using that tactic as well. It just didn't catch on, for some reason. More glory for me, it seems. :smallcool:

Ceska
2008-03-07, 04:40 AM
Winning my first game of Europa Universalis II without using cheats, of course. I really read up on history to not make any errors (like thinking attacking Hungary as Austria is a smart idea), was really patient for the first time and in the end dominated the game. Of course I was playing Austria then which made it easier, but it was still awesome.
... I love this game so much, have to play it again. EU III is cool, but it certainly can't beat the classic.

Unscrewed
2008-03-07, 09:16 AM
I was playing Gunz once and killed an enemy with a rusty knife (The weakest weapon in the game) when he had a significantly stronger sword.

I also liked my "Flaming death from above!" moment in Wolfenstine: enemy territory, but since I killed myself in the process, I don't think it counts.

Satyrquaze
2008-03-07, 09:29 AM
Last night I was playing Star Wars: Battlefront, and I beat the Hoth board, had 58 kills as a rebel without dying once.

warty goblin
2008-03-07, 10:12 AM
Last night I was playing Star Wars: Battlefront, and I beat the Hoth board, had 58 kills as a rebel without dying once.

Nice.

My best in Battlefront 2 was as Clone Heavy Trooper on Utapau, where I got sixty kills without dying. Anymore I can usually pull around 30-40 kill streaks without dying, depends somewhat on the level though.

Raroy
2008-03-09, 04:30 PM
I beat hell in cave story without using a life pot. Heck, I beat Ballos without taking a hit.

Glawackus
2008-03-09, 04:46 PM
I was over at someone else's house for a school project, and had been forced to work with this fellow that I really didn't get along with at all, and hadn't gotten along with for several years. Several others hadn't shown up on time, and, to make a long story short, we'd decided to leave within the next five minutes or so.

The guy I didn't like wasn't in the room at the time. Me: "Don't tell ---- yet. I want to do something first."

I go downstairs, and, sure enough, he challenges me to a round of Guitar Hero on our host's Playstation. I pick out School's Out. We both play on Medium.

I soundly trounce him, put down the guitar, high-five the host, and leave. Behind me I can hear, "Hey, where are you going?!"

If that doesn't count, then I suppose shooting a Warthog in mid-jump with a rocket launcher, sending the wreckage back across the map and having it hit someone and kill them.

Me: "...I killed him with the Warthog.
Teammate: "Oh, you used the turret."
Me: "No. I killed him with the Warthog."
Teammate: "You ran him over?"
Me: "I shot the Warthog and it hit him."
Teammate, emerging from base to see flaming wreckage: "Holy -----! You killed him with the Warthog!"

Theork
2008-03-09, 04:56 PM
128 kills for 0 deaths on Starwars battlefront. With a rebel trooper.

RS14
2008-03-09, 05:24 PM
My first Nethack ascension (a Barbarian) was genoless. I didn't mean to at first, but by the time I got to the Castle I was on a roll and I decided I might as well just try to keep at least one conduct.

Narkis
2008-03-09, 07:06 PM
Nothing as epic as the above guys have done, but I remember being pretty damn proud when I found that elusive 120th star in Super Mario 64 on my own.

I was the recipient of one such moment though. I was playing Counter Strike 1.3 with some friends, back when this was the latest version. One of them was playing the game for the first time, while I was one of the most experienced. I was a counter-terrorist, he a terrorist. It was the map dust (or dust 2), in which (for those who don't know) the terrorists must attack and plant a bomb to one of two easily defendable sites. One of the avenues of approach is a short but wide and tall tunnel, that offers little cover to the attackers, while the c-t defenders have a terrace that they can snipe from with almost perfect cover. I was up there, and had already killed two guys by the time he appeared. He had the 2-1 shotgun, possibly the most inaccurate weapon in the game. He managed to fire one shot before I could put him on my sights. That one shot hit its mark. And it killed me. He headshot me with the first shot he fired in the game, with the most inaccurate weapon in the game, from halfway across the map. He still won't let me forget it every time I challenge him to an FPS match.

The Linker
2008-03-16, 09:41 PM
If that doesn't count, then I suppose shooting a Warthog in mid-jump with a rocket launcher, sending the wreckage back across the map and having it hit someone and kill them.

Me: "...I killed him with the Warthog.
Teammate: "Oh, you used the turret."
Me: "No. I killed him with the Warthog."
Teammate: "You ran him over?"
Me: "I shot the Warthog and it hit him."
Teammate, emerging from base to see flaming wreckage: "Holy -----! You killed him with the Warthog!"

Something like this happened to me back in a CTF game in Battlefield 1942. I'm in a jeep, heading for the Allies' base in... Gazala, was it? Something like that. Anyway, as I'm approaching the flag, I see a teammate, also in a jeep, heading for the flag from the opposite direction. I ALSO spot an enemy tank, right near his flag. He swivels and fires at my teammate, a dead-on shot that blows him up and sends his wreckage flying. Before he could even turn to aim at me -- you guessed it -- momentum carries the flaming jeep wreckage directly into me.

It's not like I would have made it anyway, it had already been proven that the tank was a good shot. But, man, it was cool. :smalltongue:

Murongo
2008-03-16, 09:45 PM
One time I went to play a 3v3 Dawn of War game (back in the original) and my two allies lagged out at the very beginning and I went on to win. The other three guys were clanned too.

Arang
2008-03-17, 08:51 AM
I had 17-0 stats in Defense of the Ancients. Sacred Warrior. By the time I was level 25, one guy on the other team had just hit 12.

... Yeah. The match got to be kind of lopsided after that.

Ranis
2008-03-17, 09:43 AM
Playing over 350 1v1 matches since last Thursday in Brawl: Awesome.
Not losing at all: Even better.
Not owning a Wii while all of this is going on: Priceless.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-17, 10:09 AM
This sin't really my "proudest," but its still really cool, to me.

I just put down Powemon Pearl, and went on to challenge the Elite Four. After trying ALL Day to beat them in one run, I lost more-or-less intentionally (I wasn't trying to loose, but if I could win...) against the champion, and switch out my Gible (Who was only hoggin EXP, anyway, that was his whole purpose in the game) of Uxie (Part of the Lake Trio).
Rushin pretty Hap-hazardly though the Four, I trounced half of them without loosing a single party member once (The Bug and Groud specialists), only using a Rapidash, Empoleon and Roserade. (Lvls 53, 51, and 48 at the end of the run, respectivly).
Right before the chamipon, after hyper-potioning and Elixering my team so into a more or less "fresh" team, I face the cahallenge.
Not one party death.
Not one. Not even I lost-and-then-revived a team-mate.
Period.
This is without even sending out ONCE my flying type (mostly because he had the lowest level at 40).

Team Composition spoiler'd below:
Rapidash - "Daystud" Level 53 - Fire Blast (PP'd up to 8, instead of 5), Stomp (used to cherry-tep), Strength (Unused throughout the entire scene), Flamethrower
Empoleon - "Fin" Level 51 - Ice Beam, Surf, Aqua Jet (used for cherry tapping), Waterfall
Roserade - "de-Lis" Level 48 - Grass Knot, Cut (unused), Giga Drain, MAgical Leaf (Cherry-tapper)
Mismagius - "Nyxi" Level 51- Psychic, Shadow Ball, Taunt (unused), Payback (Would have been a cherry-tapper, but ended up being un-used due to a burn)
Uxie - "Uxie" Level 50 - Confusion (Unused), Yawn, Future Sight, Anmesia (Unused)
Straraptor - "Hawkeye" Level 40 (First mon caught) - Aerial Ace, Fly, Endeavor, Defog - (Creature un-used)

Mephisto
2008-03-20, 12:00 AM
Playing Unreal Tournament 2004. It's ONS-Torlan, and I'm flying around in a Raptor. We have the last node next to the enemy base and are pressing the attack when one of the other team takes off in another Raptor and starts driving people away from his base. I fly up to him, shoot him down after a short dogfight, and then run away with my tail between my legs because the people in the enemy turrets are shooting at me. As I'm speeding away, with maybe 60 HP left on my plane, I get that dreaded "missile lock warning". So I bail out, land on a slope and slide the rest of the way down, taking no falling damage, and then turn to start gunning down the enemies on foot. Suddenly I hear "PANCAKE!" Turns out my unpiloted, burning Raptor landed squarely on top of an enemy infantryman.