PDA

View Full Version : Kobold trickery

tahu88810
2008-02-29, 11:18 AM
OK...so I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm building and adventure for a level 1 character, not sure of class and race yet. Basicly, its going to be a raid on a Kobold dungeon. Standard dungeon crawl, but only kobolds. I want to have a bunch of traps that the Kobolds set up, but I'm not sure what kind of traps to do (other than locked doors, boiling [insert liquid] from above entrances/archways, ambushes from behind statues/other-stuff). Since its only going to be one character, the dungeon will be kind of small (as I doubt he'll ever play a healer XD). So what type of traps do you suggest?

Rad
2008-02-29, 11:25 AM
OK...so I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm building and adventure for a level 1 character, not sure of class and race yet. Basicly, its going to be a raid on a Kobold dungeon. Standard dungeon crawl, but only kobolds. I want to have a bunch of traps that the Kobolds set up, but I'm not sure what kind of traps to do (other than locked doors, boiling [insert liquid] from above entrances/archways, ambushes from behind statues/other-stuff). Since its only going to be one character, the dungeon will be kind of small (as I doubt he'll ever play a healer XD). So what type of traps do you suggest?

since it's lvl1, I'd use a lot of traps that inflict conditions (blindness/fatighe/fear/etc.). It's a good way to hit a lvl1 character and have him retreat, possibly to home, without killing him outright. It is also nice to have him use those save modifiers he has :smallbiggrin: .

Telonius
2008-02-29, 11:33 AM
I suggest reading this article (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/).

The key is small tunnels and preparing the terrain ahead of time.

Ganurath
2008-02-29, 11:49 AM
I think a trap like this could be worthwhile:
{table]ECA|Elevated Cliff Area|ECA|Elevated Cliff Area|Ramp
In|Open Roof Tunnel|Bridge|Open Roof Tunnel|ORT
ECA|Two Kobold Snipers|ECA|Elevated Cliff Area|Out[/table]
Naturally, there will another pair of Kobold snipers on the bridge, hiding behind the pile of rocks they're going to shove on to whoever passes below before revealing themselves to add to the salvo of sling bullets.

Malachite
2008-02-29, 12:20 PM
Not many damaging effects - go for hidden walls, puzzles and that kind of thing. A level 1 character doesn't have enough hp to get hit by traps and fight at close-quarters underground. Be careful about how many you put him up against, remember that bows will be pretty lethal, and give hi ample healing opportunity.

Ganurath
2008-02-29, 12:31 PM
...Should I? I shall. These are Kobolds. Why would all their tunnels be sized for Medium creatures? Make some Small tunnels.

Blanks
2008-02-29, 04:29 PM
Tuckers kobolds? Ease it up a bit, he said first level character. One first level.
You need conditions as one said and perhaps humor - drop ice cubes down his pants or something, a decent trap or ambush will certainly kill him...

Jayngfet
2008-02-29, 07:45 PM
razor wire, swinging sythes with some benifactor giving them teleptotation circles so that the sythe hits the wall, goes out from the floor and out the other wall before resetting?

Lappy9000
2008-02-29, 07:51 PM
since it's lvl1, I'd use a lot of traps that inflict conditions (blindness/fatighe/fear/etc.). It's a good way to hit a lvl1 character and have him retreat, possibly to home, without killing him outright. It is also nice to have him use those save modifiers he has .

Blinding's just mean :smalltongue:

I had a player almost leave after he swam through the blinding water in White Plume Mountain.