PDA

View Full Version : Post Frequency

Closet Nerd
2008-02-29, 04:53 PM
It had to be said:

While having a discussion with a friend I started thinking about this whole "Three times a week without warning" thing. #532 was posted on the 22nd (Friday) #533 was posted on the 24th (Sunday). I doubt 2 more comics will be posted this week. No big deal I guess if he made this site for his own creative outlet. But the problem is he is making money from this site and sales related to it:
"Well, I am starting to update three times a week as of March 2005. Thanks to the sales of my first OOTS book, I was able to quit my Day Job and focus on writing." - GITP FAQ.

Did that ever happen? Did he get a new day job? Why can't he make 3 comics a week? Week after week after week. I have a full time job thats more than a full time job (60+ hrs a week) and I can manage to fulfill my other non-work related commitments (one of which is drawing a web comic annonymously for no pay for another person's website).

I searched for an answer in the forums and the only things that I found is that this post will be considered "flaming" even though its not, or Rich Burlew minions will flock to his defense in an exhibition of hero worship. I realize I dont pay anything to view the comic, I am just used to people doing what they say they are going to do (or making them because that's my job; to make people do what they're suposed to). Lastly that each of the "other" comics in arts and crafts update more often.

I guess my point is that he should either change his FAQ to reflect that he does have a day job and can't post comics regularly, change the line that says 3x a week to "whenever I can get around to it", or actually follow through on his comittment.

After this my account will most likely be deleted by the mods for "flaming" or "trolling" beacuse after all free speech on a privately owned forum isnt really free.

EvilJames
2008-02-29, 05:04 PM
As has been stated before The giant is having some sort of health issue. That's why he updates at random.
What exactly your issue is with this is unclear but that's what there is.

Also incedently complaining about free speech on a forum is just silly. Free speech only means the government can't censer people. a forum owned privately is another matter all together.

Spiryt
2008-02-29, 05:36 PM
You know, aside from sense of your argument, it seems from your post that Rich is making some harm to you.

If updating schedule irritates you so much, just stop reading and bothering about OotS.

But the problem is he is making money from this site and sales related to it.

So what? If he losts any money beacuse of schedule, it's his problem.
The problem is, however, that he doesn't make any money from this site. Membership is like you see, free, and I fail to see any adverts here.

Besides, this topic was beaten to death. Rich is ill. He stated it pretty clearly few times. You could just read news, it's not like there are too many of them.

XenoTherapy
2008-02-29, 05:46 PM
Also incedently complaining about free speech on a forum is just silly. Free speech only means the government can't censer people. a forum owned privately is another matter all together.

Hear, hear!

On the subject of The Giant, however, I agree again with Evil James (btw, chaotic or lawful?). I love OoTS just as much as the next nerd, so I can see where Closet Nerd is coming from. I, however, believe that since OoTS is The Giant's own artwork, he should do whatever he feels like it. Yes, he does receive money for it, but only from the people who support him and his decisions. Viewing the online comic is 100% free.

Not only that, but, like Evil James said, The Giant is sick. No, we don't know what it is (that's his own business), but we do know that it restricts his comic-making abilities (time-wise, not quality-wise; the comics are better than ever.). So, you have no right at all to bitch about the frequency of the posts.

Also, The Giant has posted on the announcements page an announcement on October 10th, explaining that his posting schedule is actually three times a week on average.

I'm just saying, do a little more research before you rant.

Oh, and btw, I am not a fanboy, running to defend and "hero worship" The Giant. He's a great artist and storyteller, but I would fault him if it was rightly needed (your post is not.) However, I also believe that this isn't necessarily flaming. Closet Nerd was, however completely wrong and unresearched they were, just presenting his thoughts on the matter in a clear, (fairly) concise manner. So, this is more of a debate. But that's just me.

~-~Xenocidal Therapy~-~

FujinAkari
2008-02-29, 05:58 PM
It had to be said:

No it doesn't, it has been said before, nothing in this post breaks any new ground.

No big deal I guess if he made this site for his own creative outlet. But the problem is he is making money from this site and sales related to it:

There are absolutely no ads of any sort on this site, so no, he makes absolutely no money off the site itself. He does make money off the books, but that is only when someone buys a book. You pay nothing for the free content and, as a result, do not have a right to demand better service for the nothing you are paying.

If Rich took a pre-order for a book and was criminally behind in actually providing the book which he had actually collected money for, then a post like this would be appropriate.

I can manage to fulfill my other non-work related commitments (one of which is drawing a web comic annonymously for no pay for another person's website).

"All the other kids got motor-scooters for Christmas!" Comparing his health problems to your schedule isn't a fair comparison. He entered into no binding contracts with you and is culpable to no special favors on your behalf. If he is focusing on producing work which -actually- pays rather than exhausting himself on free labor... who can blame him?

Rich Burlew minions will flock to his defense in an exhibition of hero worship.

Is there a reason you insist on pigeon-holing your opposition before they even have a chance to speak? Just because I disagree with you don't make me some obsessive fangirl, and your assumption otherwise is actually fairly offensive.

I realize I dont pay anything to view the comic, I am just used to people doing what they say they are going to do

If you had bothered to read the News Page, you would know that the 3x / week is a goal, not a promise.

Lastly that each of the "other" comics in arts and crafts update more often.

If you prefer quantity over quality, there are a number of horrible comics out there that will fulfill your desires, Family Circus and Garfield among the best (although Garfield without Garfield is hysterical!)

I guess my point is that he should either change his FAQ to reflect that he does have a day job and can't post comics regularly, change the line that says 3x a week to "whenever I can get around to it", or actually follow through on his comittment.

Or he can post something on the News Page about his update sched- oh wait, he already did that.

After this my account will most likely be deleted by the mods for "flaming" or "trolling" beacuse after all free speech on a privately owned forum isnt really free.

You should really educate yourself on Constitutional Law before making statements like this. As has already been pointed out, freedom of speech ONLY applies to government censorship, it has absolutely no bearing on privately owned locations.

Alfryd
2008-02-29, 06:01 PM
...his posting schedule is actually three times a week on average.
It's clearly nothing of the sort, and hasn't been for months now. The fact that Rich is fully entitled to set his own schedule, (or lack thereof,) does not entitle him to yank our collective chains by way of false or misleading advertising claims. There is a word for people who deliberately make statements that they know to be patently untrue, and it is 'liar'.

I'm sure he has a hectic schedule. But would it really pain him so immensely to write a few words of explanation, or modify his statement on scheduling?

FujinAkari
2008-02-29, 06:07 PM
It's clearly nothing of the sort, and hasn't been for months now.

Actually, it is.

I kept up with it for a time. Note that you have to count double-comics as 2 comics (which they are!), you very easily get an average of 3/week. Please note that the last 4 comics numerically have all been double comics!

For note:

233: 2-24 (2x)
232: 2-22 (2x)
231: 2-19 (2x)
230: 2-13 (2x)
339: 2-07 (1x)

There, just at a glance, we go back 3 weeks and find... nine comics!

Exactly what we'd expect.

Alfryd
2008-02-29, 06:11 PM
I kept up with it for a time. Note that you have to count double-comics as 2 comics (which they are!), you very easily get an average of 3/week. Please note that the last 4 comics numerically have all been double comics!
I don't don't want double comics in single updates at random intervals a random number of times per week. I just want Rich's statements on schedule to bear some correlation with reality. He is not updating 3 times per week, randomly, usually, on average, or otherwise.

Beside which, Rich has stated that double-strips are dictated by plot/drama requirements, not by a desire to make up lost material.

Metal Head
2008-02-29, 06:21 PM
Did that ever happen? Did he get a new day job? Why can't he make 3 comics a week? Week after week after week. I have a full time job thats more than a full time job (60+ hrs a week) and I can manage to fulfill my other non-work related commitments (one of which is drawing a web comic annonymously for no pay for another person's website).

Yes, but you don't write it. And you're not sick. Berluw is sick, and he actually has to come up with the jokes on his own. I doubt all those priceless lines like "I'm a sexy shoeless god of war!" come to him in an instant. While he has a general idea of how the plot will work out, he does have to do the minute details for each strip before he begins making it. There's a big difference between drawing a comic and writing one. A damn good one I might add.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-02-29, 06:22 PM
Comrade Gorby: As per the Forum Rules, threads complaining about the update schedule are off topic and will be locked, since they invariably turn into flame wars.