PDA

View Full Version : How many subtypes can a PC attain?

DementedFellow
2008-02-29, 05:55 PM
Is there a limit? and if not how many can you name that can happen to a PC?

Is it possible to have a fire and cold subtype at the same time?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-02-29, 08:38 PM
As far as I know, there's no limit in the number of subtypes if you can find a way /ways to do 'em. Obvious ones will be adding templates to gain multiple Augmented ~~~ subtypes, but it'll be harder to get any further than that.

There're spells that give you permanent subtype, but since they're permanent not instantaneous, it's vulnerable to dispel attmepts. Anyway, RAW you can have both Cold and Fire subtypes, yes.

SurlySeraph
2008-02-29, 08:41 PM
I don't know how many subtypes you can have. Quite a few. Look at some of the less elegant builds on the WoTC CharOp boards; there are a bunch of them that use various templates so that they can meet the prerequisites for other templates and thus end up with things like undead half-dragon dragon fiendish fire constructs and suchlike.

As for the fire and cold subtypes: ask your DM. I haven't seen an official ruling on it. I'd allow it: the result would be a creature that takes extra damage to fire and cold and immune to fire and cold, so the net effect is just that it's immune to fire and cold.

Nebo_
2008-02-29, 10:03 PM
Is there a limit? and if not how many can you name that can happen to a PC?

Is it possible to have a fire and cold subtype at the same time?

No. Lots. Yes, there are feats from Sandstorm and Frostburn that give you the fire and cold subtypes when you rage. There is nothing stopping from taking both feats.

[FLUX]
2008-02-29, 10:07 PM
Remember the real D&D motto:

"There are no limits except those you set. Even and especially not on the basis of common decency/sanity."

DementedFellow
2008-02-29, 10:08 PM
No. Lots. Yes, there are feats from Sandstorm and Frostburn that give you the fire and cold subtypes when you rage. There is nothing stopping from taking both feats.

Actually I was thinking about the two spells that permanently add the respective subtypes. But Kudos on knowing what I was thinking. :smallamused: