PDA

View Full Version : MSN Virus

Kyrian
2008-02-29, 06:38 PM
So, I have no idea where this would go, so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

Apparently there is a MSN virus running around, and a bunch of my friends from here and Enupnion are catching it.

If you're on MSN and you get a message that says "This looks a lot like you" followed by a link that ends in your email address, DON'T CLICK IT!

Mordokai
2008-02-29, 06:43 PM
I thought it was common sense not to click links from people you don't know? :smallconfused:

Kyrian
2008-02-29, 06:44 PM
I don't know where it originated, but I'm getting the links from people I DO know. I haven't clicked the link, but I'm kinda surprised at the number of people this is reaching.

Lorn
2008-02-29, 06:46 PM
Yeah, someone was sending it to me repeatedly. Got it once, ages ago.

Basically, it contains a .pif file that mods your MSN to send the virus links to all the contacts on your list.

Therefore, do NOT open it. Ever.

If you do, try uninstalling/reinstalling MSN. That doesn't work, try a system restore, which WILL work.

CrazedGoblin
2008-02-29, 06:46 PM
i ignore almost every email i get on MSN its all spam anyway i use a different account for real email, which is full of spam anyway as it is hehe

Kyrian
2008-02-29, 06:47 PM
i ignore almost every email i get on MSN its all spam anyway i use a different account for real email, which is full of spam anyway as it is hehe

Should have clarified, sorry. Not an email virus, but a MSN messenger one.

North
2008-02-29, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I opened a link from someone from here and I caught it.... :smallfrown:

CrazedGoblin
2008-02-29, 07:00 PM
Should have clarified, sorry. Not an email virus, but a MSN messenger one.

ohhhh i did read it i promise, it just missed hehe

Kyrian
2008-02-29, 07:03 PM
ohhhh i did read it i promise, it just missed hehe

heh, I'm not blaming you, just wanted to make sure I clarified. ^-^

Haruki-kun
2008-02-29, 07:15 PM
Actually, as a suggestion: NO ONE should open ANYTHING anyone sends before asking that person if they are actually sending it or if it's a Virus.

I really hate those viruses...... :smallmad:

Ryuuk
2008-02-29, 07:58 PM
I got one where your contact just sent you a file titles "foto9". It took a while, but I think avast got it. Now I'm just trying to kill one that changes your 404 page to this "Megaclick" and "Error Lander" thing. Both my laptop and my desktop seem to have caught it.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-02-29, 08:18 PM
Heh, it's funny, I was sent such a link, clicked it instictively, then realised what it was upon loading it. Closed the page, scanned for viruses, haven't picked any up, I've had no problems with it. Guess my PC security is better than I thought...

B-Man
2008-02-29, 08:25 PM
Just as a rule of thumb, if someone sends me an IM with only a file before saying "Hi", ignore it. Bots don't like to say "hi". :smalltongue:

Pyro
2008-02-29, 09:26 PM
Is this on MSN email, or MSN messenger? I don't use either, but I'm curious.

B-Man
2008-02-29, 10:01 PM
Is this on MSN email, or MSN messenger? I don't use either, but I'm curious.

On MSN Messenger (but versions 8.0+ are known as Windows Live Messenger).

Artemician
2008-03-01, 07:01 AM
Just as a rule of thumb, if someone sends me an IM with only a file before saying "Hi", ignore it. Bots don't like to say "hi". :smalltongue:

Yearp.

When I get a file transfer request, I ask what it is. If I get a legible reply, then and only then do I accept the file.

Dr. Bath
2008-03-01, 08:32 AM
If you do, try uninstalling/reinstalling MSN. That doesn't work, try a system restore, which WILL work.

For the computer illiterate, how would one go about doing such a thing?

Mordokai
2008-03-01, 08:39 AM
Try it this (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx) way.

SMEE
2008-03-01, 08:43 AM
Press the start button at the task bar, select the "run" option,type in "msconfig". Right after the "services" tab you'll see "startup". Select it, locate "live" at the startup item list, with the "live.messenger.com" command and uncheck it.

Restart the system right after.

That shall do the trick.

DarkLightDragon
2008-03-01, 09:17 AM
I haven't received such an email, but I'll keep a lookout.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-03-01, 09:29 AM
MSN viruses happen all the time. I just got one today. Well, I didn't get the virus, but I got one of those messages. Someone I don't even talk to on MSN tried to send me a file. Without any explanation. She didn't even know she was sending it.
Yup, happens all the time.

Dr. Bath
2008-03-01, 09:54 AM
Thank you Smee and Mordokai! Hopefully that will have worked. Bah! T'was an annoying virus. Kept shutting messenger windows.

EmeraldRose
2008-03-01, 10:53 AM
Yeah, it came up for me several times yesterday, from more than one person. I clicked the first one that came, but my virus scan caught it before it even downloaded. :smallcool:

adanedhel9
2008-03-01, 11:04 AM
Back when I still used AIM, I got something similar. When I got the link, I was pretty sure that it was a virus. But being a curious computer geek, I decided to follow it, expecting the link to open in Opera (my default browser) - which doesn't automatically execute scripts.

But no, it opened in IE! So I ended up with an infection. I seem to recall I was due for a reformat anyway (I tended to wipe my computer every year or so at the time), so I didn't even try to remove it, I just wiped the system.

Lykan
2008-03-01, 01:31 PM
How much is system restore gonna take off? I mean... I've had bad experiences in the past where I've left my computer to my uncle and he ended up wiping the entire computer clean...

By the by, the virus has jumped to AIM and YIM too...

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-01, 01:43 PM
What does this particular virus actually do to your computer? (Please avoid getting too technical: I'm not very computer literate).

Haruki-kun
2008-03-01, 01:48 PM
Depends. Some of them don't even do anything to the computer. They're just there to annoy people.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-01, 01:52 PM
Thanks (I'll just avoid all of them anyway).

Mordokai
2008-03-01, 01:54 PM
Seeing my computer keeps dying on me every few hours(because of hardware problems) the MSN virus is currently the last of my problems :smalltongue:

Zombie pixe
2008-03-01, 02:34 PM
all you have to do is just ignore links from people you are not in the middle of a conversation with anyway :smallamused:

's all good :smallsmile:

wxdruid
2008-03-01, 04:23 PM
The links came from people I was talking to right then.

I can't system restore, because I try and my computer says it can't. I've gone back three different dates and tried, it isn't working. I know it's still there and yes, I've deleted MSN Messenger from my computer.

InaVegt
2008-03-01, 04:28 PM
And stuff like this, people, is why I don't use microsuck software (besides that I lack the money to buy it, that is).

Aleana
2008-03-01, 04:38 PM
My sister got that that yesterday and she ran the spyware for it as soon as she relised it was a virus.
She says Maggy was responsible for her quick actions and she's pretty sure she got rid of the virus. :smallsmile:

Thes Hunter
2008-03-01, 07:20 PM
Get a Mac and then it doesn't get viruses. :smallamused:

Lykan
2008-03-01, 07:23 PM
If you pay for it. :smalltongue:

SMEE
2008-03-01, 07:27 PM
The links came from people I was talking to right then.

I can't system restore, because I try and my computer says it can't. I've gone back three different dates and tried, it isn't working. I know it's still there and yes, I've deleted MSN Messenger from my computer.

Press the start button at the task bar, select the "run" option,type in "msconfig". Right after the "services" tab you'll see "startup". Select it, locate "live" at the startup item list, with the "live.messenger.com" command and uncheck it.

Restart the system right after.

That shall do the trick.

This will do, wx.

Reinboom
2008-03-01, 07:34 PM

Mac is as good as Norton System Security to me.

It is a virus itself.

I spent all this time trying to get the virus to fix it, but nobody had it. SMEE, getting in before I did and not letting me notice, shame! :smalltongue:

wxdruid
2008-03-02, 01:21 AM
Thank you, I did that, the odd window is no longer popping up at start up. My antivirus found 3 viruses and deleted them. I suppose it's time to download MSN IM and try it?

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-02, 03:24 AM
What happens if you open one of the files?

MrEdwardNigma
2008-03-02, 04:44 AM
all you have to do is just ignore links from people you are not in the middle of a conversation with anyway :smallamused:

's all good :smallsmile:

It's happened to me during conversations as wel...

Ryuuk
2008-03-02, 09:05 AM
What happens if you open one of the files?

Hmm, at least in my case, the file saved itself onto my desktop. Attempts to delete it normally were futile as windows saw the program as in use. From there, it started sending itself to my contacts again.

I'm not sure what it actually did besides reproduce. I would assume it did what most other viruses do, waste large amounts of system resources and bandwidth. Also had a good chance of taking personal information, but that's with most viruses I assume.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-02, 09:42 AM
Thanks for telling me. How long will it take for the people who deal with this sort of thing to track dow the source of the virus?

wxdruid
2008-03-02, 01:21 PM
Well, got MSN IM back and it seems to be working properly with the steps that I took. My antivirus found it and I unchecked it from the start up menu. Thank you so much.

SlightlyEvil
2008-03-02, 05:30 PM

Macs don't get viruses because it's not worth the time or energy to code a virus to hit the Mac OS, when the OS is such a minority among the general public. Not because it is actually more secure, but because no one cares. If Macs were the majority, then Windows would get no viruses.

Sorry for the rant, but Mac people claiming superiority tend to annoy me.