PDA

View Full Version : I think you misunderstand. The DINOSAURS worship ME. [Base Class]

Kellus
2008-02-29, 10:15 PM
The Lacerta Deus

While paltry clerics and paladins beg for favour from an uncaring deity, divine-inclined dinosaur enthusiasts find a different route. These individuals actually claim worship from the great lizards, and thus power their divine magic by channeling the faith of dinosaurs, much like a very small deity. These lizard gods are powerful divine spellcasters who gradually become more and more like the lizards they demand worship from.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d8.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Skills: The lacerta deus’ class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Table: The Lacerta Deus
{table="head"]Level|Base AttackBonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Dinosaur portfolio|5|2+1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Aspect of the tyrant lizard|5|2+1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|–|5|3+1|1+1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Evolution|6|3+1|2+1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|–|6|3+1|2+1|1+1|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Aspect of the tyrant lizard|6|4+1|3+1|2+1|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|–|6|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|—|—|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+6|Evolution|7|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|—|—|—|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+6|–|7|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|—|—|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+7|Aspect of the tyrant lizard|7|5+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|—|—|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+7|+3|+7|–|7|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|—|—|—

12th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|Evolution|7|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|—| —|—

13th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|–|7|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|—|—

14th|+10/+5|+9|+4|+9|Aspect of the tyrant lizard|7|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|—|—

15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+5|+9|–|7|6+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|—

16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Evolution|7|6+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1| 3+1|2+1|—

17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|–|7|6+1|5+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1| 1+1

18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Aspect of the tyrant lizard|7|6+1|6+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1

19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|–|7|6+1|6+1|5+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1| 3+1

20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Evolution|7|6+1|6+1|6+1|5+1|5+1|4+1| 4+1|4+1|4+1

[/table]

All of the following are class features of the lacerta deus.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: A lacerta deus is proficient with all simple weapons, as well as one martial or exotic weapon of his choosing. He is proficient with light armour, but not with any kind of shield. Most armour interferes somewhat with his spellcasting (see below).

Spellcasting: A lacerta deus casts divine spells, which are drawn from the druid and cleric spell lists. His alignment may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must.

To learn or cast a spell, a lacerta deus must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class (DC) for a saving throw against a lacerta deus’ spell is 10 + the spell level + the lacerta deus’ Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a lacerta deus can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. He base daily allotment is given on Table: The Lacerta Deus. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.

A lacerta deus’ selection of spells is extremely limited. A lacerta deus begins play knowing five 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells. At each new lacerta deus level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Lacerta Deus Spells Known. A lacerta deus may select his spells known from either the druid or cleric spell lists. If a spell appears on both lists, he may choose it at the lowest level available to him.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered lacerta deus level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a lacerta deus can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the lacerta deus “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level spell the lacerta deus can cast. A lacerta deus may only swap a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a lacerta deus need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Although a lacerta deus casts divine spells which do not incur arcane spell failure, he is still restricted in armour choice. His spells are intrinsically worship-based, and heavy armour distances him from the faith of his followers. A lacerta deus applies the Armour Check Penalty of the armour he wears to his Charisma score for all purposes of spellcasting. This can reduce his spell levelss that can be accessed or his bonus spells per day. If a lacerta deus is unable to cast a spell because of this restriction, he cannot use that spell slot until the following day, even if it is restored to him by removing his armour.

Table: Lacerta Deus Spells Known
{table]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|5|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|5|3|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|6|3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|6|4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|7|4|2|1|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|7|5|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|8|5|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—

8th|8|5|4|3|2|—|—|—|—|—

9th|9|5|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—

10th|9|5|5|4|3|2|—|—|—|—

11th|9|5|5|4|3|2|1|—|—|—

12th|9|5|5|4|4|3|2|—|—|—

13th|10|6|6|5|5|3|2|1|—|—

14th|10|6|6|5|5|4|3|2|—|—

15th|10|6|6|5|5|5|3|2|1|—

16th|11|7|7|6|6|5|3|3|2|—

17th|11|7|7|6|6|5|4|3|3|2

18th|11|7|7|6|6|6|4|4|4|3

19th|12|8|8|7|7|7|5|5|4|4

20th|12|8|8|7|7|7|6|5|4|4

[/table]

Dinosaur Portfolio (Su): A lacerta deus has a kind of divine portfolio based on dinosaurs. A lacerta deus receives one extra spell slot of every level above 0th level every day (as indicated on Table: The Lacerta Deus) which can only be used to target a dinosaur. The lacerta deus may add his Wisdom modifier to his caster level for his portfolio spells, as well as to the saving throw Difficulty Class (DC) of these spells.

In addition, a lacerta deus receives the Wild Empathy ability, but only insomuch as it relates to dinosaurs. Lacerta deus levels stack with ranger or druid levels to determine his total Wild Empathy check against dinosaurs.

Finally, a lacerta deus demands obedience from dinosaurs. All hostile or unfriendly dinosaurs that come within 5ft. per class level of the lacerta deus must make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 the lacerta deus’ class level + the lacerta deus’ Charisma modifier) or have their attitude changed to Indifferent. This effect lasts for 1 round per class level, and is a mind-affecting fear effect. If a dinosaur successfully saves against this ability, they are immune to it for 24 hours.

Aspect of the Tyrant Lizard (Su): At 2nd level and every 4 levels thereafter, a lacerta deus receives a cumulative +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against dinosaurs. Likewise, he receives a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. In addition, his natural armour bonus improves by +1 every time he receives this ability.

Evolution: At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, a lacerta deus may select an evolution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2935456) for which he qualifies.

Feats

Acquire Dinosoul Companion

You’ve managed to harness the souls of dead dinosaurs into a frightening companion that follows you around.

Prerequisites: Cha 15, dinosaur portfolio class feature
Benefits: You gain a dinosoul companion. Any enemy adjacent to your dinosoul companion takes a -2 penalty on its saves and to its AC. Your companion’s speed is equal to yours (including all modes of movement you posess) and it acts during your turn each round. It follows your mental commands perfectly – in effect, it is merely an extension of your divine might.

Your dinosoul companion has no real substance, and thus can’t attack or otherwise affect creatures or objects. It occupies a 5ft. space. Even though any creature can enter a dinosoul companion’s 5ft. space without restriction, it must occupy its own space in order to have any effect on enemies. It is immune to any damage or other effects that might harm creatures, though it can be dispelled or suppressed just like a spell effect. Your dinosoul companion is treated as a spell whose level is equal to 1/4 your lacerta deus level. If it is dispelled, it automatically reforms at your side 24 hours later.

A dinosoul companion can’t create flanking situations, nor does it provoke attacks of opportunity from movement, because enemies automatically recognize it as nonreal. If it is more than 120ft. from you at the start of your turn, or if you ever lose line of effect to it, it instantly reappears adjacent to you.

Summon Dinosoul

Your divine mandate allows you to marshal the souls of fallen dinosaurs.

Prerequisites: Cha 19, dinosaur portfolio class feature
Benefits: Having this feat allows a lacerta deus to harness the souls of his dinosaur petitioners who have died. As a standard action, a character with this feat may sacrifice a divine spell slot to spontaeously convert it into a Summon Nature’s Ally spell of one level lower than the spell slot sacrificed. For example, a sacrificed 4th level spell results in a Summon Nature’s Ally III spell.

This converted spell can only summon dinosaurs, but it applies the ghost template to the dinosaur summoned. Otherwise, using this feat works exactly like casting a Summon Nature’s Ally spell.

Summon Dinosoul Horde

You’re so scary that you can call a whole bunch of dead dinosaurs at the same time.

Prerequisites: Cha 23, Summon Dinosoul
Benefits: Having this feat allows you to sacrifice up to three divine spell slots at a time to use the Summon Dinosoul feat, converting them into up to three seperate Summon Nature’s Ally spells. Otherwise, this feat works exactly like Summon Dinosoul.

[b]Tyrannosaurus Attack Legion [Reserve]

Your mastery over the souls of dead dinosaurs allows you to summon tyrannosauruses to swallow your enemies.

Prerequisites: Ability to spontaneously cast 9th-level divine spells, dinosaur portfolio class feature
Benefits: As long as you have a 9th level or higher divine spell slot available to cast, you can spend a standard action to attempt to swallow a Medium or smaller creature adjacent to you. They must immediately make a grapple or Escape Artist check against a DC of 30. Failure indicates that they are swallowed by ghostly tyrannosauruses; they take 3d6+13 piercing damage, and are sent to the Ethereal Plane.

Velociraptor Attack Legion [Reserve]

Your mastery over the souls of dead dinosaurs allows you to summon velociraptor petitioners pretty much at will to rip apart your enemies.

Prerequisites: Ability to spontaneously cast 4th-level divine spells, dinosaur portfolio class feature
Benefits: As long as you have a 4th level or higher divine spell slot available to cast, you can spend a standard action to summon a ghost deinonychus, which appears adjacent to you. The ghost deinonychus may take one round’s set of actions. At the beginning of your next turn, it disappears. For every level that your reserve spell slot is higher than 4th, the velociraptor gains a cumulative +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity.

Ascension
2008-03-01, 12:34 AM
I like this. It's strange, but I like it a lot. My only question is this... since the caster's power depends on having dinosaurs worship him, wouldn't he be penalized for operating in any environment devoid of his followers?

BRC
2008-03-01, 12:41 AM
I like this. It's strange, but I like it a lot. My only question is this... since the caster's power depends on having dinosaurs worship him, wouldn't he be penalized for operating in any environment devoid of his followers?
Do not attempt to apply logic to the creations of the almighty Kellus.

Vadin
2008-03-01, 12:43 AM
I think it has something to do with dinosaurs eating each other, and being a Tyrant Lizard ascendant, the dark and terrible lord of the scaled come to rebuke his children. He isn't just at the top of the food chain, he is the top of the food chain. Those below him ought tremble lest they feel his wrath.

So, yeah. More or less that. At least, I think thats why.

Kellus
2008-03-01, 01:13 AM
Well, it basically assumes that you're in a world with dinosaurs to start with. But I didn't want to base his powers off the assumption that he'd be meeting lots of them, since that would be pretty much plot-writing class features. So as it is, he's a dinosaur-like divine caster that's got some cool abilities for when he does meet dinosaurs. When he meets a dinosaur he can go completely crazy, since Dinosaur Portfolio means he's got extra-powerful spells to burn just on the dinosaurs he meets that he can't befriend with Wild Empathy.

The divine armour limitation is something I've been toying with for a while as applying to all divine magic. I figured I'd stick it in here and see how I like it, and the answer is that I like it a lot. Especially with all the natural armour this guy gets, it means that he's a lot more of a 'natural dinosaur caster' sort than 'armoured cleric with claws'.

As far as fluff goes, I think Vadin about hit it. The idea is that he's inserting himself as king of dinosaurs and demanding worship from the lower dinosaurs, which gives him cool faith-based powers. I always liked the idea of wielding divine magic by people believing in you instead of you believing in them This seemed like a cool way to use that idea. Hopefully, you'll agree. :smallsmile:

Also, this is the last base class I've had working in my mind for, like, half a year now. That means I can get to some of the other awesome dinosaur stuff I've got ruminating. :smallbiggrin:

Ascension
2008-03-01, 01:23 AM
I guess my whole view of D&D is warped at the moment by the fact that I'm in a Planescape campaign, but what I was thinking is that a planewalking Lacerta Deus would often be far afield from his subjects, and I was wondering if that would affect his power at all. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt actual deities any to be on a separate plane than their worshipers... so I guess it all works out.

As a low-level god, is the Lacerta Deus constantly surrounded by the souls of slain dinosaur petitioners? 'cause that would be awesome.

"Ghost dinos... attack!" :smallbiggrin:

Kellus
2008-03-01, 01:32 AM
That, uh, that's a fantastic idea.

I, er, have to go make some feats now.

Kellus
2008-03-01, 02:29 AM
As a low-level god, is the Lacerta Deus constantly surrounded by the souls of slain dinosaur petitioners? 'cause that would be awesome.

"Ghost dinos... attack!" :smallbiggrin:

The answer is now yes.

Parvum
2008-03-01, 01:43 PM
The swallow whole ability has a fixed DC. While it is a nice DC, there will always be a point when something fixed becomes useless, and you are effectively down a feat. Perhaps it should be based off something?

Also, it might be time for some new evolutions. The available evolutions seem to be less desirable for the casty types, and more suited for the physical classes. The fossilmancer and this class really don't have anything to set their hopes on, just what is better than any other option.

Kellus
2008-03-01, 01:55 PM
Heh. It's based off a T-Rex; a tyrannosaurus has a grapple modifier of +30. I could just change it to 10 + 1/2 level + Cha modifier, I suppose.

As for new evolutions... maybe. I can think of several that would already appeal to casters, but I agree that there aren't any that are perfect for them. The problem is that the idea is that the body itself is adapting, which means that physical classes would get the most mileage out of anything there. But I still like the idea of casters slowly turning into dinosaurs as well. I'll see what I can think of for the fossilmancer and lacerta deus.