PDA

View Full Version : 1st level Ranger Spells to Buff Animal Companions

LibraryOgre
2008-02-29, 10:43 PM
As the topic says. I'm going to be looking on my own, but I miss things in my searches. Can anyone think of things in canon sources that my 6th level goblin ranger would have access to to help buff his wolf mount? Please note that he's not necessarily in a position to buy things, which is why I'm more interested in spells.

Chronos
2008-02-29, 11:11 PM
Well, for starters, the core list of 1st-level ranger buffs:

Delay Poison
Endure Elements
Hide from Animals
Jump
Longstrider
Magic Fang
Pass Without Trace
Resist Elements

Note that Longstrider works on animal companions, despite being Personal, since you can share spells with them. Longstrider and Jump will improve mobility, which is the reason for having a mount in the first place. Of the others, Magic Fang is probably the only generally-useful one, though Resist Elements or Delay Poison could be useful if you have foreknowledge of what sort of attacks you might face.

LibraryOgre
2008-03-02, 07:28 PM
Anyone else? Currently, I'm leaning towards one of my prepared spells being "Rhino Rush", since I picked up Ride-By-Attack last level.

Animefunkmaster
2008-03-02, 08:34 PM
I don't believe you can charge with ride by attack.

Orzel
2008-03-02, 08:34 PM
I don't have the books but I've been wanting to use
Enrage Animal (CA) and Blood Wind (CoR) for my Animals.

I typically load up with Rhino Rush/Blades of fire or Hunter Mercy/Arrow Mind for mt 1st level spells and carry Longstrider and Detect, and Skill 1st level scrolls for both of us to share

Lemur
2008-03-02, 09:21 PM
I don't believe you can charge with ride by attack.

You're thinking of Spring Attack. The text of Ride by Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#rideByAttack) indicates that it can only be used with a charge.

Chrismith
2008-03-02, 10:47 PM
Some other miscellaneous spells, all 1st-level:

Bloodhound (SpC): Reroll failed survival checks while tracking
Crabwalk (SpC): +4 attack bonus on charge, no AC penalty
Enrage Animal (SpC): Animal rages, as barbarian but with no fatigue
Horrible Taste (SpC): Sicken those who bite or swallow you
Lightfoot (SpC): Moving doesn't provoke AOOs
Surefoot (SpC): +10 bonus to balance, climb, swim, and tumble checks
Traveler's Mount (SpC): Mount moves faster but can't attack

Instant of Power (Forge of War): Grant a +4 bonus on attack, saves, or damage to an ally
Primal Hunter (Dragon Magic): +5 on climb, jump, and swim checks for 24 hours
Ride the Valenar (Races of Eberron): +10 on ride checks if your mount is your companion