PDA

View Full Version : Serendipity

Faithdreamer
2008-02-29, 11:07 PM
Screams pleading to die ran through cracks in the walls. Undulating highs and lows in each sound sang a sick dirge. Knowing the same rusted, serrated knives yanking out their guts might be hiding with shadows waiting for fresh blood... no one was dying painlessly.
Captain Tada was holding one of their daggers against the weak light from the big stone doors ahead. He wasn’t dead yet and the grinning skull at the end of the corridor laughed in merriment. At least someone was enjoying this game. It glared at him and bright crimson flames flickered in its eye sockets. Everyone wanted to go that way...

Character Name Initiative

AC:
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0
Health:

Conditions: Every fight we’ll begin posts with this spoiler. So you have this for easy reference keep a copy saved. We can add more headings when we have issues. Bold character names should precede every post for easier reading. I’ll also ask that everyone picks a colour of text for their words.
Black and bold are silly the answer is ’no’. All spoken words should be in quotation marks.

Your words and thoughts should be separated for convenience.
You’re in a cool, damp cavern 15 feet wide and 130 feet long. There’s a thirty foot tall slab of stone that looks very much like a door on the other side. It’s been cracked open and dim light sneaks through. Wreathed in that eerily bright shine a floating skull with glowing crimson flames in its eye sockets seems to watch the passers-by; you. The cave’s pitch darkness makes that bright flame so much more vivid.

davidthespecial
2008-03-01, 05:39 AM
Yres

Fear wells up in him, blocking out rational thought. Sickly yellow floods his eyes, driving out the deep blue of his quickly fleeing stillness. Yres sways; the forests, the trees, the sky - all are so far away.

Yres' pendant touches his chest, and he clutches it. Yes, the light that shone though the forest in the dead of night will shine here also.

He smiles slightly, absentmindedly removing a piece of oak leaf from his long blonde hair. Though he won't suggest it himself, leadership not being a talent of his, someone should really punch that skull. Skulls smile too much.

Zyks
2008-03-01, 07:35 AM
Ruk'Tik'Tchk

The ratling twitches and fidgets nervously, this wasn't somewhere he wanted to be. He draws his two sai slowly.

"Not good good. *squeak* not good place to stay

davidthespecial
2008-03-02, 06:05 PM
Yres

For those who cannot lead, only one other option remains: to do. With deep breaths and a gentle spreading of the hands, the presence of the others begins to fade from Yres' mind, until all that remains is him, the skull, and the lurking darkness amid the eerie light - the sense of fear and stench of evil. Slowly, he begins to step forward, head bowed.
No amount of darkness can extinguish light, and my Lord is the Lord of light. I fear no evil

He looks up, and whispers fiercely

"And you? You will learn to fear the dawn"

Faithdreamer
2008-03-02, 07:02 PM
We can have more development when you tell me how far you’re going to go. I also need the others to introduce themselves.Smug and red the skull smiles, it smiles and says nothing.

davidthespecial
2008-03-03, 07:39 AM
Before I decide how reckless with zeal I can be on page 1, can I see at this distance any particular details about the skull - most importantly, are any gems contained within its form?

Hank Pym
2008-03-03, 10:18 AM
Darius

Unsure of his situation, but intrigued by the skull and door, Darius sidesteps into the plentiful shadows and cautiously moves forward toward them to investigate.

Good day, everyone. A few questions for you, Faithdreamer:

Do our characters already know each other?

Do our characters know where they are or what they are doing here (last thing I can remember about the adventure we were in the town of Kilter)?

Also, shall we make rolls for ourselves? (such as my Hide and Search checks this round. If you want to make them, I understand completely, but if you want me to make them, here they are: Hide: [roll0] and Search: [roll1])

This round, Darius moves 20' up the passage, hiding in the shadows and looking for traps. He'll introduce himself to the party once I know what our situation is.

Faithdreamer
2008-03-04, 08:28 AM
Character knowledge: Only if you’d like them to.

Character Situation: You’ll learn more play along if you want to keep learning.

Rolls: Make rolls whenever you’d like and I’ll make them when I want to and I hope we have fun.

davidthespecial
2008-03-04, 08:37 AM
Yres

Yres continues towards the skull.

At present Yres is 20' along the passage, assuming we started at one end. If nothing happens, he will halt 10' before the skull.

Zyks
2008-03-04, 09:10 AM
Ruk'Tik'Tchk

Gripping his sai tightly, the Nezumi ninja slowly moves towards the skull, carefully placing his claws on the ground. The black of his fur makes him difficult to make out in the shadows.

Hide: [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]

Hank Pym
2008-03-04, 10:28 AM
Darius

Darius takes a half step further to continue his cautious approach, but suddenly realizes that although he doesn't know exactly what's going on, he knows that the glowing skull is about to finish Captain Tada. For some reason the Captain's name rings through Darius' head -- the one bit of specific knowledge he has right now.

Choosing to cling to that knowledge, and hoping that if the Captain is important enough that he remembers his name, then maybe he can explain what's happened, he chooses to try to save the Captain, perhaps at risk to himself. Darius runs from the shadows and down the hall to help.

"Captain?"

Okey doke. I like a mystery!

From the opening description, it sounds to me like Captain Tada may be a friend of ours, or at least an adventuring companion, so Darius will run (move x3, total of 90') down the hall to get to the Captain. If "turns" matter, that's what he'll do this turn. If he can go ahead and do more, he's going to try to grab Captain Tada and drag him away from the skull and door.

Lazlow
2008-03-04, 12:16 PM
Daen

Confused but calm, Daen takes a moment to assess the situation. Knowing well the soothing effect with which his deity has blessed him, he moves closer to his erstwhile companions.

"Remain calm, my friends, the soothing light of Rao will protect and guide."

Daen's calming aura (as Calm Emotions spell, 20' radius) automatically suppresses any fear effects and removes confusion from all targets within range. It also suppresses (but does not dispel) any morale bonuses (Bless, Rage, etc.) as well as negates a Bard's inspire courage ability and a Barbarian's rage ability.

Sorry for my tardiness - was busy with jury duty for over a week. That's all done now, so normal life can resume. Looking forward to having fun with you all!

davidthespecial
2008-03-04, 12:41 PM
Yres

Ooh, him, that's a point. In that case I'll run 80', ending up 100' down the cavern. Does the captain appear injured from where I'm standing? At this distance, I'll be able to move and heal him in one turn, if needed.

Also, hello!

Broken from his focus by the rush of air from Darius' passing, Yres colours slightly. Well look at you, leader boy. Wow, soon you'll be able to shop for apples without stammering. Bet mummy's so proud.

His mildly contemptuous amusement fades as his eyes rest on the figure ahead. His gaze returns to the skull, and he too begins to run forward.

"Is he hurt?"

Zyks
2008-03-04, 12:56 PM
Ruk'Tik'Tchk

Not feeling such a compulsion to help the captain as the others did, Blackfur (nickname, easier for humans :smalltongue: ) moved down the passageway slower than the others.

Faithdreamer
2008-03-04, 01:40 PM
Envy

Prayers and hushed words might hide rodents sneaking in the shadows. They’d even calm the apprehension. Everyone was lucky they weren’t as noisy as the trigger mechanism. A watery clack like wet stones dropped in a chimney. Darius may have chosen just the right time to run. A heavy stone block shatters a piece of the floor behind him – if a rock that big hit anyone they’d be in big trouble!
Reflex Save DC 15 for:

Daen, Ruk'Tik'Tchk, Yres, Others (but not Darius) If they weren’t in trouble already; Darius could feel the air thickening the closer he got to that creepy head. He breathed out one last time before it thinned out again. The skull’s grin stretches into a sickening half moon too big and impossible for the bones.

‘Insignific – aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa – ance!’

It screams a sharp wail that lasts what feels like forever. Shut tight against the pain the Captain turns around. Darius still can’t see anything passed his squinty eyelids but a growl might be coming out of Tada.
The screech was so loud no one would hear their bones crack as falling rocks crushed the group and maybe even buried the entrance. Roll a Wisdom Check DC 16 everyone. You’ll be deafened for 1d4 rounds after this if you aren’t successful.

Hank Pym
2008-03-04, 01:58 PM
Darius

Darius tries to push his way forward, struggling to reach Captain Tada.

Wisdom check: [roll0]

davidthespecial
2008-03-04, 02:03 PM
Yres

:smalleek:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Where in the passage am I as this occurs?

Lazlow
2008-03-04, 02:10 PM
Daen

"Watch out!" Daen yells as he tries to push his nearest companion out of harm's way.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] rounds

I'm a little confused; who is near whom? Could we have a little map?

Zyks
2008-03-04, 04:38 PM
Ruk'Tik'Tchk

Seeing the trap fall, Blackfur attempts to launch himself, in an animal like pounce out of danger

reflex [roll0]
edit: ahh failure!

edit: with a muffled squeak, the Ratling disappears beneath the rubble

Faithdreamer
2008-03-04, 04:47 PM
Sloth[roll0]
Blackfur Wisdom (Always wear a hard hat) - [roll1]
Blackfurs' Deaf Ear - [roll2]
It shudders on the walls like a lingering kiss, the wail fades slowly and all that’s left for some of them is a quiet ringing sound. Caught between the worst of the fall and shrill scream from hell others aren’t as lucky.
Daen for example, the monkey man pressed himself against the far end of the passage opposite from the door. He never moved after his soothing litany and he couldn’t hear a thing. He could see it all right. Shafts of light speared the darkness from above, illuminating the bodies of the survivors and the corpses too. Broken stones covered the floor like a carpet of shingles.
A man wearing the same uniform Tada was had a stone block for a head. The only other militiaman that followed the group this far was gasping praises Daen couldn’t hear while he tried to free himself from the iron grip of his saviour.
Three other people looked okay even if he wasn’t sure. Tada and Darius were far away, they were practically already near the big door when the trap went off. There was something... twitching in a pile of rubble a clawed hand surrounded in a beam of light.

BlackfurThere weren’t any screams. Entombed in the earth and trapped in the dark. Shadows were life and endless nothing now. Crushing punishment stretches the eternity of afterlife on forever. In the back of your mind there’s a wish... oh, you wish the gods of death had given you a body! How small your appreciation for it was before!
Your humble fear is small, you suffer at the agony of the air you should have and know you’ll never feel again. There’s no such thing as air here. Yres was blessed, he was alive somehow after he was sure something large and heavy smacked him on the head. Until after he saw the signs he never noticed the wound. His vision was blurry, his eyes were teary and something was slithering over his scalp. Was he seeing double?
He could hear someone praising saints and gods. He might want to do that too, after all he’d been running behind Darius when the roof fell on his head. His body was saying ‘KEEP GOING!’ but his foot was stuck between the rubble.

Yres is dazed for now and stuck fifty feet from the big stone door because his leg is caught. Remove it with a DC 16 Strength Check. You may not take 20 until you’re not dazed. The dazed condition will last until I note that it ends. In this case I’m allowing you to make the check even though you’re not able to normally.

As long as it isn't anything you do (unless it's the strength check) feel free to write whatever you like. I wonder what he's thinking?

Tada is within ten feet of the door, since Darius is close to him (within ten feet) he remains safe in all ways. He can hear, whether it’s from an incredible willpower or a tough physique who can say?

Blackfur has been crushed underneath the rubble and can take no actions (that’s your own fault don’t look at me!). Very shortly he will suffocate and be crushed to death unless someone pulls the rubble off and rescues him. He can’t speak or affect the world in any way beyond realizing his hand is free and that he is still alive (DC 14 Wisdom check) and twitching it. He is very close to the entrance to this passageway (which is opposite the stone door).

Daen managed to cling to that same entrance and pull the second of Tada’s two men out of danger. They’re both safe. Tada’s first man won’t be continuing.

Notice
The characters who haven't passed their reflex saves sustain 14 points of HP damage.

Rescuing Blackfur is a full-round action with a DC 16 strength check. You can extend his life by casting a heal spell onto his hand (it connects you to his skeletal bone).

Daen
Rescuing Blackfur will take all your effort and concentration or you might make things worse. Representing your ability to move the heavy stones is the Strength check.

If the Strength check fails Blackfur will take one point of damage. If it fails a second time he will take two points of damage. Another point will be added if it fails a third time and so on.

You may take whatever actions you want including shouting, talking or trying to gain assistance. Hearing is denied you. Specifically for you each post will represent the equivalent of a round. Your deafness will disappear on your third post.

Locations

Stone Door - Darius + Tada
Middle - Yres
Tunnel Entrance - Daen, Blackfur, Militiaman

Keeping it Clean

This is temporary. So things don't crowd now I'll only allow one post per player until I have posted.

Then one post per player, and then I will post.

davidthespecial
2008-03-04, 07:32 PM
Shadows, shadows and falling and wet all blending in one and...

light? But moving awake and wet. Wet?

Rain? Salt. Sea? awake Falling? Sky falling?

A forest, so dark. Fear. I fear. But light, so much neededlight, so bright. Where? When? I hurt.

A forest, dark, not saved for death but lightneeded

Not for death? I huneededrt, why?

[roll0]

Hank Pym
2008-03-05, 09:32 AM
Darius

Darius concentrates on looking through is squinted eyes at Captain Tada, staying on the defensive after thinking he heard a growl come from the Captain just a moment ago.

Darius shouts, not so much because his hearing is impared, but to get over the din of all the other commotion. "Captain Tada? Come away from there. Come on! We need to get back and regroup! It's gone terribly wrong!"

Darius will all-out defend (+4 AC?), but try to get Captain Tada to come back down the hall with him to where the others are facing the perils of the cave-in (sorry about that! especially you, Blackfur!). If Captain Tada doesn't look like he's about to attack Darius, then Darius will go so far as to move up and touch him (put a hand on his shoulder) and try to lead him back.

Is the skull still there? The stone door is still ajar, correct?

Please let me know if there's anything Darius can see that's odd about the Captain, now that they're close to each other.

Lazlow
2008-03-05, 11:21 AM
Daen

The diminutive monkey man whispers a brief prayer of thanks to his deity before turning to speak to the nearby soldier.

"We have--"

Wha?! I cannot hear my own voice...

"WE HAVE TO HELP THE RATLING! YOU MOVE THE STONES! I WILL EASE HIS PAIN!"

Daen gestures quickly to the soldier with a scooping motion, indicating that he should try and move the stones. Moving to Blackfur's twitching claw, Daen whispers a short prayer to Rao.

sanctus rao commodo ostendo misericordia in is patientia animus...

Swapping out Bless (my lvl 2 domain spell) for Cure Moderate Wounds, casting on Blackfur:
[roll0] hp

Faithdreamer
2008-03-05, 09:01 PM
The militiaman’s nod is almost sugary. Enthusiasm shows in the way he leaps deftly through the rubble and starts hauling stones off the pile. Strength isn’t his forte but he’s definitely doing the best anyone could ask. “Help over here Captain wounded need you!”
Tada perks up just then blinking a few times. He’s shaking his head already and brushing passed Darius to get at the middle of the hallway.
He dashes around Yres – “Bring this man!” – all the way down the hall until he comes skidding to a breathless halt at the heaviest debris. He didn’t care if Yres managed to pull his foot out or not he wasn’t going to take his eyes off the action for a second.
“There are twenty men outside what are you five-
A loose rock bounces off his shoulder. If growls could crush things into powder Tada probably had a beach’s worth of sand. A small knot of soldiers in the livery of the militia was stepping out of the dark behind Daen.

“We’ve been made for trick ponies the damn Gnolls are outside. We’re the only ones left after the door collapsed and don’t ask me why it happened Captain.”
His voice was raised just loud enough it was easy to hear. He was calm as the archer standing next to him with short bow and ready arrow. Two others were busy helping the first pick at the stones weighing Blackfur down. Over their heads Daen could make out the beginnings of Blackfur’s face. If he wondered where these men had come from he could look behind him at the fifth man who was watching the other direction.

Tada breathed and thought. “We’re getting out of this tunnel and going through those doors before it caves in. Patch yourselves up fast or those people are going to get the knife before we can help them.”
He was already slipping his long sword out of its sheath. Darius was safe to assume he only growled a lot. Right now he looked like he was straining to hear something. They were making it easy for you. Zealous cultists weren’t leaping out of the shadows yet trying to gouge out your eyes.
Wasn’t that a bit strange?
The open door still shines light on the hallway where the wholesome skull grins.

This is the end of a dazed Yres. It’s nice that your foot isn’t stuck anymore.

I’d like everyone to try a Listen check. The DC is top secret.Blackfur
Soothing something washes over your twitching hand, comforts, kisses, gentle hugs and kind words. Harsh light sears your eyes for the first time in... how much time exactly?
Something is burning your soul from the inside out! Noise! Terrible loud noises!

Zyks
2008-03-06, 03:48 AM
Blackfur

Upon being released from the prison of stone, Blackfur begins to writhe with the feelings of burning and the noises, still only vaguely aware of whats happening around him.

davidthespecial
2008-03-06, 09:01 AM
Yres

dangerdark, lighawaket awake awake awake awake

The world snaps back into focus. Though he isn't entirely sure what has happened, beyond Mr Rock meeting Miss Gravity and them having a lovely time together, he is quite certain that the floating skull has had enough fun now. With a murmured prayer, touching a hand to his head, Yres channels healing energy into himself before stepping forwards.

Assuming it's ok for me to take actions now; if not, I'll edit.
Casting domain spell Cure light wounds
[roll0]

Moving forward towards the skull 30ft, unless there are rocks hampering my movement, in which case 15ft. As I'd like to start smiting things, particularly if the skull does something mean again, shall I start using the combat spoiler?

[roll1]

Lazlow
2008-03-06, 09:50 AM
Daen

The primate priest starts to help the soldiers clear away some of the smaller debris. Smiling warmly at the injured rodent, he tries further to soothe his pain with kind words, but fears that his current mode of speaking is not ideal...

"FEAR NOT, MY FRIEND! LIE STILL, YOU DON'T WANT TO INJURE YOURSELF FURTHER! WE WILL FREE YOU SOON ENOUGH!"

[roll0] (may not be necessary, as Daen will only move smaller rocks and debris knowing he can't move big stuff, but here you go)
Edit: :smalleek: Glad he didn't attempt any big ones!

[roll1]

Hank Pym
2008-03-06, 03:38 PM
Darius

Darius stops, stunned (and a bit insulted), as Captain Tada pushes past him. The Captain's reaction leaves Darius doubting that the Captain has any more clue than he does what he's doing here. From the dialogue between the Captain and his men, it's clear (mostly) what THEY'RE all doing here, but he wonders about himself and the three others not in uniform.

Unsure if it matters, Darius decides to watch out for more immediate threats before opening a dialogue. He whips out his trusty small steel mirror and sticks the end of it through the open doorway, flipping it back and forth to take a look down the hall in either direction. He doesn't know WHAT cult they're dealing with, but his natural inclination to skewer any zealot cultist trying to gouge out his eyes is enough that he wants advance warning when they do come for him.

The thought of them going for his eyes causes him to instinctively draw his rapier with his offhand while looking at the mirror.

Listen Check: [roll0]

Faithdreamer
2008-03-06, 08:48 PM
Noose

As soon as Daen’s hearing is on the recovery he notices one of the soldiers has a strange rasp. A small sound like he was scraping his insides on wood. Wounds might do that. It’s so annoying he almost messes up and knocks a few rocks on Blackfur. One of the soldiers jumps in a fright and crashes his knee into the ninja.
The nerve when he says, “Watch what you’re doing!”
Darius isn’t paying much attention until Yres brings reality back. His eyes follow the man as he starts to stand, it might be better to take a good look around everyone was getting along just fine. A few nonchalant thoughts and he holds a steel mirror in his hand. For an eye blink he can see Yres sealing his wounds with some kind of witchery before he turns the mirror to the doorway.
It seemed sensible at the time, sure.

Flagstones pave the antechamber bathed in soothing heat. Torches crackle, wrapped in their wall brackets high above. The glow of the braziers warms the floor. Piles of heavy wooden crates are heaped with sacks, barrels, chests, and stacks of parchment. A sad looking metal door waits directly across from the entrance Darius was peeking through. He must not have remembered the bright glow. Maybe he was afraid someone would poke his eyes out.
A man in tattered dull gray robes balked at how the mirror reflected a light too bright for his eyes. His nasal voice let his one, two, three... fourteen hooded friends with worn down gray robes know how he felt. They’ve fanned out in a semicircle with rusty but nonetheless sharp looking weapons. Between sickles, knives and claws and stones Darius can see the torches they’re using to set fire to a pile of supplies.
“They must think we’re stupider than they are.” He starts shouting through the crack in the door. “Gents, look, you’re in over your head. Turn around and the Gnolls might miss you while you run off. It’s a lot better for you than being here.”

Apparently the Captain heard him. “As I see it they’ve got two options you Ellemer brat.
All the innocents you’re about to murder in your sacrificial rite can die while they go back up the tunnel. That way Gnolls will meet them at the door and butcher them like they did my men. No matter what they want I’m coming to get you.
I’m sure they’re more comfortable carving a bloody swath through a couple fanatics to save a few lives and maybe find a new way out alive.
I’ve given them my whole life’s savings as contract pay. Your fat coin purse isn’t going to help you now.”

Now the cultists are snarling. “Innocence! What do you know!” The Ellemer’s scream is shrill enough for Daen to hear it all the way from where he tries to help Blackfur. Darius has just enough time to step back and ready his sword before they slam into the massive slabs. With a huge effort and a

HUAARGH!

Surge of strength the soldiers heave Blackfur out of the underworld. The first thing he got to see clearly was the image of the stone doors grinding open. The crowd flings itself into the corridor screaming and waving all its weapons! Blackfur is free next to Daen and acts normally now.

There is no surprise round. Everyone roll for initiative and post your actions this round.

Darius and Yres are the only ones close enough to attack on the first round if they want.

Darius gains a +5 circumstance bonus to his initiative. Yres gains a +4 bonus to his.
Remember the passage is fifteen feet wide. That special ‘Battle Post’ is now in effect.

POSITIONS
The length of the passage is 130ft. The width of the passage is 15ft.
Starting from the exit to the surface:

At 30ft. Difficult terrain begins and ends at 100ft.
From 100ft. Until 130ft. The terrain shouldn’t be treacherous.

Simplicity
30ft. – Blackfur, Daen, Soldiers
80ft. – Tada
90ft. – Darius and Yres
120ft. – Cultist Crowd

davidthespecial
2008-03-07, 05:55 AM
Yres

Initiative:[roll0]

AC:17
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +6
Health:16/20

Conditions: n/a
Would you like me to post my remaining spells here?

"You will know pain"

he whispers, as, with a small gesture and eyes of gold he flings the heat of the sun itself at those of the crowd who bear steel.
Yres then turns and begins to pick himself across the rock-strewn floor, back towards the others.

Casting Heat metal, on whoever in the crowd seems to be carrying the most metal (armour being a priority, largest metal weapon being next best).
Will save DC 15 to negate.

Then moving 15ft back, placing me roughly behind where Tada is/was at the beginning of the fight.

Hank Pym
2008-03-07, 09:47 AM
Darius

Initiative: [roll0] (that includes the +5 bonus, and a hearty thank you to our DM for that!)

AC: 16 (13 touch)
SAVES: Fort: +3 Ref: +8 Will: +3
HEALTH: 26 / 26

Conditions: none

So much for getting the drop on them! They're fast!

As the cultists flood through the door, Darius backpeddles in the clear area of the tunnel to keep his back to his allies.

"Trouble! Lots of trouble! Trouble with knives and swords and clawing fingers going for our eyes!"

When the first of the cultists get near him, Darius stabs at him with his rapier.

"One at a time, one at a time!

Darius will move 15' back up the tunnel so that his shoulder is a couple feet from Captain Tada's (on the opposite side of Yres, or if Captain Tada is next to a wall, then next to Yres) (hopefully cutting off any attempts to flank us, or at least forcing the opponent to take our attacks of opportunity if they try to flank).

Here's my attack (at whatever zealot reaches me first):

Attack: [roll1] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll2]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll3]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll4]

If the zealots flood past, here's my attack of opportunity:

Attack: [roll5] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll6]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll7]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll8]

Lazlow
2008-03-07, 10:59 AM
Daen

Initiative: [roll0]

AC: 18 (14 touch)
SAVES: Fort: +6 Ref: +3 Will: +7
HEALTH: 29 / 29

Remaining Spells:

Lvl 0
Resistance
Guidance
Purify Food and Drink
Virtue

Lvl 1
Prot from Evil (domain)
Bane
Inhibit (SpC 123)
Shield o' Faith

Lvl 2
Domain: Bless (Swapped for CMW)
Bear's Endurance
Lastai's Caress (BoE 102)

Such fear and hatred...

His hearing slowly returning, Daen's heart fills with sorrow as all he hears is talk of bloodshed and the slaughtering of innocents. Helping Blackfur along as needed, he hastens towards the Captain as he speaks.

"My friends, can we not avoid this reckless bloodshed? Surely, Rao can show us a better way." Carefully picking his way through the rubble, he pleads with the Captain for leniency. "Captain, I realize you are a man of quick action and sharp steel. But I implore you, please: Show mercy to the helpless. There is no honor in slaughtering those who cannot defend themselves. And surely, if these men are indeed guilty of murder, should they not be brought to trial rather than murdered in kind?"

Daen will move as far forward (toward Darius, Yres, and Captain Tada) as he can this round through the difficult terrain (he can't run, but if he can move at triple speed, then he should be able to move 45' ahead).

Zyks
2008-03-07, 03:59 PM
Blackfur

Seeing opponents appear, the creatures oversized incisors gleam as he grins at the prospect of a kill. Retrieveing his sai, he shoots forward towards them.

Blackfur
Initiative [roll0]

AC: 18
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +5
Health: (not sure, help appreciated)

Conditions: if the enemies clearly have ranged weapons, will be using Ghost step:invisible on the way, if not, I'll be using it when I get closer.

Faithdreamer
2008-03-08, 03:09 PM
Force of Nature

Scrabbling over the debris inches behind the sound of their chant must’ve been tough. Gray robes and rusty weapons clawed over each other trying to be the first to get at fresh blood. The mob coalesced in front of Darius and Yres. Thirty pairs of eyes watched, time may not be standing still but the world seemed to freeze. Ten feet of breathing room, a sharp breath,

“Insignificance!” A broken and breathless war cry shivers in the face of three stern looking men. Was someone looking for perfection?

The cultists clatter against your human wall like a pile of rocks. The first three are wide-eyed farmers caught in the middle. Full of resolve they swing their weapons shouting prayers and hateful words.

Blades [roll0] – [roll1]
[roll2] – [roll3]
[roll4] – [roll5]

Spite alone was never enough. Lined up in a row they can’t swing their sickles properly and only end up getting tangled together. The men behind them start to push and the man who has no one to stop him is shoved forward. Another indistinguishable gray robed someone takes his place. There’s a sneer on her lips.I've reserved the next post.

Faithdreamer
2008-03-08, 03:57 PM
Conscience

It’s just the kind of reaction Tada was looking for. “Go back to your field farmer! Killing you isn’t something-”
“My sickle’s getting warmer! It’s the power of the human spirit! Die!” Well behind the clash someone else is already screaming over him.
Darius came from different stock. His rapier was already a few inches redder when the Captain smashed his sword against the farmer’s sickle while he was looking somewhere else. A body crumpled on the rocks. Just ask Darius how he was laughing. He’s the very first to see the confused hysteria all over his face.
“Haw, haw, haw it’s blood!” The color fades from his skin and his excitement turns into very real fear. “I can’t!” He’s trying to force the word breathe out but it just won’t work. Another cultist steps on his chest before he can try again while Darius is distracted with the man who’s stumbling forward. He must’ve been shoved by the crowd. Since he’s having so much trouble the rogue decides he can put a stop to the pain. Full on the moment the cultist slaps his rapier away and grinds out a retort.
“Don’t kill me!”

Cultist [roll0]
Tada [roll1]

“I don’t want a knife in the side stand at my shoulder Priest. ” He’s glanced at Yres and the cultist notices. He doesn’t lose focus and keeps a tight grip on his sickle but doesn’t think to return the favour either. Maybe he didn’t know how.
“I’m not some lightwei-
He’s rammed from the back before he can finish. After seeing how his friend fell the cultist facing Darius actually lowers his rusty blade and tries to shove him backwards!
Behind the melee the others are working their way forward.

“They’re going to be shoved back hurry it up!” One of the soldiers barks.

You should make an opposed strength check Darius. Since you’ve already used it you don’t get to make an attack of opportunity.
Yres can either help the captain using Aid Another to assist his strength check by adding a +2 if he beats DC 10. He might also choose to follow Tada’s instructions by stepping in front of the cultist at Darius’s side.

Everyone may take their turn now. Those who began at 30ft. are now at 75ft. using their full action to go that far last turn.

Skirmish

CCC
TDC
Y

davidthespecial
2008-03-08, 05:43 PM
Yres

Initiative:18

Conditions:

Skipping across to the other side of the corridor, Yres spins gracefully. Emerald eyes fix upon the foe in front of him as a fist lashes out.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Hank Pym
2008-03-11, 09:42 AM
Darius

Initiative: [11]

Darius grunts with the strain of trying to hold back the flood of cultists.

"Brought to trial?" he mockingly asks the monkey scrabbling its way up the tunnel. "It's too late for a court of man for this lot. They'll stand trial before their gods!

With that, he waves a left hand at the cultist to his right, trying to distract the cultists for the split second it takes Darius to stab him in the neck with his rapier.

Str check: [roll0]

Hopefully that's good enough that Darius can hold his position.

If so, Darius will stab at the cultist to his right (opposite Tada), trying to clear space for Yres. If Darius gets pushed back, he'll still stab at that same guy, assuming they don't push Darius further than 5'. If they do, he'll stab at whoever has had the gall to push him that far.

Whoever he attempts to stab, he'll use his improved feign on him to get him off balance. If he's successful (Bluff vs. Sense Motive) the cultist will lose his dex bonus to AC and Darius will get his extra 1d6 sneak attack damage.

Bluff (for improved feign): [roll1]
Damage (for improved feign, assuming he hits): [roll2]

Attack: [roll3] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll4]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll5]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll6]

And if another zealot pushes past this round, here's my attack of opportunity:

Attack: [roll7] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll8]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll9]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll10]

Also, I've changed from purple to red text so that Lazlow and I have more obviously different colors.

Faithdreamer
2008-03-11, 03:58 PM
The rest of you have rushed up the corridor and you’re currently behind Yres on the line.

[roll0] – Cultist’s Raw Strength
[roll1] – Feint of Heart

Yres had a nasty backhand, it was all bruised and red and throbbing. To put it bluntly it was almost as ugly as the cultist’s face looked. First he reels back and doesn’t know what happened but he’s still standing. Then his wide eyes swallow the cleric and stare at him. They’re feral and scared, but it’s him or Yres. He hacks at you with his rusty sickle.

[roll2] – [roll3]

“This one knows that crazy magic stuff cut his throat or we’re done for!”
Maybe waving your hands around like that wasn’t the smartest thought... still the bold had fortune’s favour even if it was bold stupidity. The bruised cultist looks back to answer the order and Darius flicks his blade up and pokes his throat with it. He stumbles back grabbing at it. After the undulating wall of flesh and steel swallows his body he isn’t seen again.
The crowd forces Darius back a few steps. it’s like fighting a centipede. He couldn’t hope to do this alone. Tada didn’t think it was easy either.The next post is reserved as usual.

Faithdreamer
2008-03-11, 04:34 PM
As soon as he realized Darius’s bad luck (the dextrous swordsman wasn’t suited to this kind of fighting?) Tada steps back with him. Two cultists catch his sword, one from the man who tried to stab at Darius and the other from the one in front of the Captain.
Pale hair glitters as the sunlight dances across Yres, he would have grabbed at the sickle but that smirking woman is where the farmer was before. She’s licking the blood off her lips.
“Mmm, you’re so pretty.” She’s ready to make you a little more appealing to her tastes her dreamy tone isn’t listless.CCC
CCC
TDY

d B

(T)Tada
(D)Darius
(Y)Yres
(d)Daen
(B)Blackfur

Last round Tada selected Aid Another to defend Darius. The cultist used her attack action to pull the other one backwards then moved forward. Yres can try reaching into her square to grab at that sickle but he provokes more Attacks of Opportunity.

There is a Five foot space between Daen and Blackfur. They’re five feet away from their three comrades.

Heat Metal - I haven't completely forgotten it I'll write the results to you next time I post.

Zyks
2008-03-11, 06:05 PM
Blackfur

This will be quite an ambitious post, with multiple possiblities of failure. If it works it could have some good results though. If any of this really wouldn't work because I have misjudged the area, tell me and I'll post a new action list

The ninja ratling darts forward, disappearing from view of the normal eye. Unknown to everyone else, he leaps up, attempting to clear the heads of those in the front line of combat, and trying to land somewhere within the group of cultists. Diving down upon them, he will swing with his sai too.

Hopefully this isn't too crazy-a-plan to work. I have a habit of making stuff up that could look awesome, but might not work. Heres the rolls and stuff anyway.
Blackfur
Initiative +3

Health: 19/19

Conditions:Using ghost step:invisible
Jump check: [roll0]
Tumble (if needed) [roll1]
attack rolls: 1 = [roll2] 2 = [roll3]
damage rolls: 1 = [roll4] 2 = [roll5]
sudden strike (if applicable): [roll6]

davidthespecial
2008-03-11, 07:58 PM
Yres

Conditions:

The faint beginnings of the onset of a blush colour Yres' face at the woman's words, before he is swept away on a tide of memory: of crowds, shouting and screaming and pointing and jeering. Plague-bringer...madman...bewitcher... So many people. So many... Cut his throat...stab him...burn him...drown him... Running, always running. So much running, so far, so much fear, endless, always Kill Kill Kill Kill helpless, always helpless, helpless and running, so much running and helpless, helpless, helpless

"No more!"

Yres lunges into the mob, grasping for the sickle of the fallen farmer.

Hank Pym
2008-03-12, 09:14 AM
Darius

Did something just appear in their ranks? Has an ally of ours gotten behind their lines? Something flailing, fighting like a demon among them.

Darius just has time to throw a "Thank you!" to Captain Tada before Yres seems to go berserk.

Yres' sudden scream and heedless attack gives Darius a rush of admiration and adreneline, and he tries to move faster than the cultist, attempting to cut her down with his rapier before she can harm Yres.

If possible, Faithdreamer, I'm going to continue to use my improved feign. If I can't use it in this tangle of cultists, then I'll understand as there's not much space in the hall.

Bluff (for improved feign): [roll0]
Damage (for improved feign, assuming he hits): [roll1]

Attack: [roll2] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll3]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll4]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll5]

Attack: [roll6] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll7]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll8]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll9]

Faithdreamer
2008-03-12, 05:35 PM
Tides
So many instructors said blind rage was the worst way to feel. Her laughter prances over Yres as she sweeps her sickle at him!Attack Opportunity: [roll0] – [roll1]
A swift shadow glides over your heads and falls on your attackers without a sound. No one realizes what’s happened when the center of the crowd collapses until Blackfur steps out of thin air balancing on their shoulders. His blurry hands are almost too fast to follow but it’s plain to see he might have let himself get too far ahead. He calmly picks one set of shoulders and sits down to stab his blade into the neck that sits between them – it’s not going to work he’s wearing armour!
All at once things go from bad to ‘thank heavens’, the weapon one of the other cultists is about to stab Blackfur with glows white hot.
“Grraaargh my eyes!” His body seizes up for an instant long enough that Blackfur can tumble off his man’s shoulders and away from the sickles about to cut him. Instead of the rodent they’re looking for they find the cultist’s head and chest. Looks like he won’t need to worry about that one...

Someone starts screaming in Blackfur’s ear trying to push through his fellow cultists to find his agonized friend. “Durse you idiot let go of it!”
Unable to relinquish his weapon the cultist screams, it almost seems to twist toward him while it burns him to death.
The light lures an elegant metaphor out of the bloodshed for Darius. Blinded by his awe he rushes to aid Yres, it’s another fortunate sin for the Cleric. Before she can cut at him again Darius’s rapier takes another life. She smiles weakly at him through the blood in her mouth. “I love you...”
Yres snatches up a sickle, cool and rough in his hand, heavier than it should be.
Another one just like it is after him.Attack Opportunity on Yres: [roll2] – [roll3]
Attack on Darius: [roll4] - [roll5] After he tries to hurt Yres he growls at Darius tries to return the favour!
Blackfur is treated much the same way. Bloody with allies and victims alike five sickles are out for revenge!
Blackfur’s MisfortuneAttack on Blackfur: [roll6] – [roll7]
Attack on Blackfur: [roll8] – [roll9]
Attack on Blackfur: [roll10] – [roll11]
Attack on Blackfur: [roll12] – [roll13]
Attack on Blackfur: [roll14] – [roll15] Steadfast and calm Captain Tada deters another pair of attacks.
“Militia, take your places.”

PlacementCCC
CBC
CC
TDY

d

Faithdreamer
2008-03-12, 05:52 PM
Following Orders
“Aye, yes sir Captain Tada.”True to their station five of them march around Daen with discipline written all over them. One of them still has that same rasp... he’s holding his ribs and smirking just a little.CCC
CBC
CC
TDY

dMM
MMM

Update

If I'm not mistaken five cultists are either dead or slipping away. There are at least ten now.

davidthespecial
2008-03-12, 06:12 PM
Yres

Conditions:

Though Yres hears, no words register in his mind. His fear, his anger, both for his own sufferings and for those of others beneath the ravages of panicked ignorance and selfish malice merge with the rough weight in his hand to forge a blade of righteous anger. Wreathed in the radiant sunlight and in the power of the defender of the needy, he strikes out at his nearest foe.

Free action: Divine Might. Expending 1 Turn Undead (4/5 remaining) to add Charisma bonus (+2) to weapon damage.

Attacking the cultist between Blackfur and Darius
[roll0]
[roll1]

Hank Pym
2008-03-13, 08:51 AM
Darius

HEALTH: 22 / 26

Focusing past the sting of a cultist's scythe ("Yipe! Ow!"), Darius is able to see Blackfur's brave (if foolhearty) charge, which seems to end with him dragged down under several cultists.

Darius has seen drunk sailors rolled for copper with less desperation than these cultists show. And did that one he just killed say she loved the cleric she was so intent upon splitting in two?

On the one hand: fascinating. On the other: these freaks are still all out to kill us -- starting with the little brave ratling.

Tactics be damned, until I know what's going on, I'd rather none of my companions die.

"Someone take my place!" Darius calls to no one in particular and steps forward, rapier first, to allow at least a little breathing room for his would-be ally.

If Yres' blow killed the cultist directly in front of him, Darius steps up to that space and stabs at a cultist flanking Blackfur (either one is fine).

If Yres' blow did not kill the cultist directly in front of him, Darius takes his five-foot step to the open spot directly in front of Yres and stabs at the cultist in front of him (next to Blackfur).

Either way, his intention is to move up before cultists can fill the spots around Blackfur and completely surround him.

Lazlow
2008-03-13, 09:02 AM
Daen

Initiative: 12

Remaining Spells:

Lvl 0
Resistance
Guidance
Purify Food and Drink
Virtue

Lvl 1
Prot from Evil (domain)
Bane
Inhibit (SpC 123)
Shield o' Faith

Lvl 2
Bear's Endurance

Such reckless bloodshed! This must stop!

The pious primate raises his hands and yells, "Children of Darkness! You cannot stand against our righteousness! Relinquish your weapons and surrender!"

With that his face grows even sterner as he snarls a gutteral curse, tail twitching menacingly as he hops from foot to foot, waving his arms.

"Cave ne ante ullas catapultas ambules...!"

Casting Bane on all cultists within 50', must beat a DC 19 Will save (10 + 1 (level) + 4 (Wis mod) + 4 (Vow of Nonviolence) = 19) or get -1 to attack rolls and fear effects.

Sorry for falling behind!

Zyks
2008-03-13, 12:04 PM
Balckfur

Well that was interesting. Hey if you don't risk something once in a while, when are you going to have fun? It might not have been great offensively, but it felt awesome!

Not how I planned it... But so many many targets!

Shaking off most attacks from the cultists, Blackfur regains his balance quickly. Having tasted combat, his senses had gone crazy. His desire to score more kills was thrown through the roof. With a shrill squeak, he dives upon a cultist, trying to get his claws on the mans shoulders and bite into the flesh of his neck.

Initiative 21

Health: 15/19

Conditions: attacking the clutist straight to the north (I think north) of me. In any case the one away from our lines. Using natural attack of bite.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Faithdreamer
2008-03-13, 08:20 PM
Their faces are so much clearer when you can see passed the shadows of their hoods. Mad expressions and calm smiles were frequent, grim determination and unswerving devotion all trying to murder you. These cultists weren’t mad with drugs or fear.
It was even worse than the rusty sickles. “Murderer!”
Yres didn’t want any more time to hack another lunatic to death. He notices the change immediately. His first kill and the sickle felt lighter now than it was before. The heady odour of butchery fills him with righteous vengeance. If it’s not enough Darius slides into the space over the dead corpse like a wet mist and twists his rapier through another heart. Billowing in his wake Tada’s sword is firm and steady. He’s fast in pressing the advantage.
At the sound of Daen’s voice perhaps the cultists look shaken. Some of the gray robed villagers turn and scurry back the way they came. The three still trying to hold the group back laugh in the face of Blackfur’s bloody lips and frantic shriek, even.
“There are over eight of us and only five of you there’s still time to run. You don’t want to be here! I’m not accepting responsibility for you!”
It’s an unspoken command when the three of them nudge each other. They back off a step to get a little breathing room brandishing their sickles and huffing.
“Back off. We’re doing the right thing.” Another one says evenly.

Intimidation wasn’t their strongest asset. The militiamen near Daen step forward almost unanimously. They still haven’t bothered to get involved. The rasping soldier near the Healer laughs heartily.

“Can’t count. We’ve wasted enough time on you.” He sniffles and wipes his nose on his hand. His throat gurgles as he coughs on the dust or... whatever was in the air?

CCC

TBC
D
Y
MM
dMM
M

This spoiler isn't working as planned these are close to correct.

davidthespecial
2008-03-14, 08:30 AM
Yres

Conditions:

Yres gasps, the aura of calm beginning to seep into his consciousness, dousing the flame of anger. The sight, the smell of death washes over him; blood runs down his arm, his skin crawling beneath.
So much death... so much...

"Forgive me"

Yres sways, bracing himself against the wall, confusion, shock, horror and shame swamping him. The sickle slips from his grasp. Gentle tears slide down his face, pattering on to the cavern floor.

Hank Pym
2008-03-14, 08:59 AM
Darius

Darius wants to command the cultists surrender. He wants to emphasize to them that they're obviously not made for battle -- that they're dying quickly when they could be off living lives of peace and prosperity elsewhere. He opens his mouth to attempt to reason with them, but remembers they're cultists (his old personal biases get the best of him) and he gives up without trying.

If they come to their senses long enough to surrender, he sees no reason to cut them down in cold blood, but he also can't imagine fanatics like this surrendering.

They seek their eternal reward, let them have it.

Yet out of the corner of his eye Darius sees Yres pause, obviously distraught. Is he . . . weeping?

"Come now, friend: don't stop now! We'll have time for rest once we've beaten them back! We've alomst got them!"

Darius takes a five-foot step up to just behind Blackfur (or where-ever he needs to be to attack) and attacks anoter cultist with his rapier. I'm not sure how far "off" the map was in your spoiler, Faithdreamer, but, if possible, Darius will try to (keep?) plant himself between the cultists and Yres.

Lazlow
2008-03-18, 11:24 AM
Daen

Remaining Spells:

Lvl 0
Resistance
Guidance
Purify Food and Drink
Virtue

Lvl 1
Prot from Evil (domain)
Bane
Inhibit (SpC 123)
Shield o' Faith

Lvl 2
Bear's Endurance

Seeing the militiamen step up to finish the job, Daen stays out of their way but pleads with them to show mercy.

"Evil cannot be stopped with more evil! I beg you, show mercy to the helpless. Take these misguided souls captive and bring them to justice, do not slaughter them as they have done to the others."

Zyks
2008-03-18, 11:55 AM
Blackfur

Confused by the situation at hand, Blackfur stops himself. Standing ready with his weapons, he takes a moment to survey the situation.

Initiative 21

Conditions:

Basically, the reason I'm doing this is I myself am a little confused as to what is happening right now

Hank Pym
2008-03-20, 08:57 AM
Darius

bump?

Faithdreamer
2008-03-20, 04:38 PM
Tomorrow I'll post for you I'm not feeling well now.

Faithdreamer
2008-03-22, 02:48 AM
Impasse

“Great, these ones aren’t out of their minds.” It’s not very comforting to know these are rational killers. “We’re not ‘almost gotten’ in fact. The five of you are better off heading back outside and taking your chances with the Gnolls. Believe us when we tell you, this lot really doesn’t want to be here when the ritual happens. If you don’t dying will be the least of your worries.”
All three cultists look wary, they haven’t dropped their guard and they aren’t taking their eyes off you for an instant. Above the sudden silence, the rasping breaths of that soldier are clear as could be to everyone.
Tada doesn’t seem to pay too much attention. He glares at each cultist and looks like he has something to say but manages to hold his tongue. He projects an air of ‘studying his options’.

“That Cleric over there is the smartest of the lot of us.” Which one this gray-robed butcher is talking about isn’t obvious. Either Yres or Daen were safe bets.
The rasping soldier stammers out, “I don’t... really want to kill any more townspeople Captain.”

Lazlow
2008-03-25, 08:48 AM
Daen

Remaining Spells:

Lvl 0
Resistance
Guidance
Purify Food and Drink
Virtue

Lvl 1
Prot from Evil (domain)
Bane
Inhibit (SpC 123)
Shield o' Faith

Lvl 2
Bear's Endurance

"As well you shouldn't," the little monkey man says to the rasping soldier. "But do not mistake my pleas for mercy as weakness. These men must be brought to justice."

He speaks up so the cultists can hear, yelling, "Drop your weapons and come peacefully!"

Hank Pym
2008-03-25, 09:39 AM
Darius

Keeping his rapier up and ready, Darius holds his position, waiting for the response of the zealots.

"I've never known zealots to truly think about anything, least of all surrender, but I'm willing to give them a cha -- HOLY *$%# ARE YOU A TALKING MONKEY!?!?"

Darius takes a ready action. If the zealots make a move to attack, Darius will stab one before they go. If the zealots back down, surrender, or hold their position, he will continue to keep them "covered" until next round when hopefully we have a better idea of what's going on.

If one tries to attack, here's his attack rolls:

Attack: [roll0] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll1]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll2]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll3]

Attack: [roll4] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll5]
If a crit, here's the second roll: [roll6]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll7]

Zyks
2008-03-25, 11:46 AM
Blackfur

Still lost, Blackfure moves slightly away from the cultists.

So what we doing monkey man? no more kill kill?

Initiative +3

AC: 23

Conditions:

Taking a defensive action, increases AC by 2

davidthespecial
2008-03-26, 06:39 PM
Yres

Conditions:

Yres' eyes meet those of one of the cultists, pools of grief and sorrow and deepest, deepest weariness. He stretches out his blooded hand, his head turning to watch the droplets drip steadily on to the floor.

"What say you then? Must I bear more of your blood this day?"

On the floor, blood and tears mingle. It is deeply symbolic. Quite what is symbolised is unknown, but it is symbolic none the less.

"Mercy is more than I was ever shown. But one who found me lost and brought me light, one whom I follow shows mercy, and so it is offered to you."

Apologies for sloth - sickly internet does not a happy David make...

Hank Pym
2008-03-27, 09:19 AM
Darius

Darius slides his gaze from the cleric back toward the villagers-turned-murderers and gives the tip of his rapier a threatening wave.

"That's right. You've got a chance here to return to your lives. Take it and live in peace."

Lazlow
2008-04-03, 03:28 PM
Daen

"I said... Drop your weapons and come peacefully!"

BUMP

Faithdreamer
2008-04-14, 01:44 PM
“Ha, ha, ha you just don’t get it. You’ll see. Come on.” Isn’t it the strangest thing?
When they turned their backs on you and waved for you to follow it was like a skeleton was wagging a finger. Ah, ah, ah. But you’d follow anyway?

davidthespecial
2008-04-14, 02:42 PM
Yres

Quietly content to let others decide whether to follow, Yres turns his full attention to the fallen, to see whether any are not beyond his aid. Well, almost his full attention; a suspicious eye occasionally drifts up toward the cultists, lest he be caught unawares by a sly sickle. Could their hostility really vanish so quickly?

To look for visible life signs [roll0]
To look for whatever other life signs a healer would note [roll1]

Can Yres tell whether they are still hostile towards the party [roll2]
Can he tell whether they're 'up to something' - particularly whether they seem to like the idea of the party following them a little too much. [roll3]

Faithdreamer
2008-04-14, 05:17 PM
If they weren’t hacked or stabbed they were crushed under their own feet or murdered by their fellows. It seems a little obvious if these men trust you at their backs they don’t seem to want to hurt you anymore... but it doesn’t look like they’re cunning enough to spring a trap alone. After taking a long breath to study everything the first thing that comes to mind is the militia.

There was that rasping soldier who seemed like he should get some attention. His injuries were probably internal kind.

Zyks
2008-04-15, 05:35 AM
Blackfur

Blackfur shrugs

So what we do? follow crazy man? Me really confused

Hank Pym
2008-04-15, 08:54 AM
Darius

The combat having stopped, Darius turns to the others.

"I'm confused as well. Does anyone here know how we got here or why? Last thing I remember I was in the town of Skirt and all of a sudden I'm in this cave with all of you."

He then turns to Captain Tada. "And somehow, sir, I recognized your name although I recognized nothing else. Do you know how that happened."

"Is our only way of discovering what's happened to follow these devils into the belly of their lair?" Darius is obviously quite uncomfortable with this solution.

davidthespecial
2008-04-15, 09:30 AM
Yres

Musing on the rasping voice of the militia man, he searches back through the memories of the sick he had encountered on his travels for anything that might cause such a symptom. He'd keep an eye on the others. A contagious disease would not be an asset.

All will become clear in time. It is ever thus

Moving away from the others, in part to avoid conversation, Yres silently begins his solemn duty, closing the eyes of each of the fallen with a short prayer.

In the peace of the forest and the warmth of the sun may you find your rest

When next the dead of night falls, he will sing a lament for the dead. Assuming they're still alive...

Faithdreamer
2008-04-15, 12:28 PM
Forking Road!

Against your better judgement you all took a contract to help the militia in their investigations and subsequent raids on the local cult of those-unbalanced. Against your better judgement you were all picked to be part of the mission to attack their biggest camp yet. Now you all seemed to be ignoring the eerie feeling in the pit of your stomach. That ‘Now we get out now,’ swirling around your temples. It wasn’t that your judgement wasn’t very good – you were all fools.

Arriving in Kilter was the easy part, in the middle of all the sick jokes flying around town after they found her body strung up in the town square. ’Oh my, gosh someone Kiter!’
‘Gaelinn you come here right this instance!’
‘Mother, but the town is right here.’ Sometimes the children never realized the importance of what was right under their nose. The smell of a rotting corpse was a guard gone poopie or a rancid store of food maybe. As if it was for anyone to judge but everyone was someone else’s child. That’s what the militia’s investigations were for.
You’d gone through a lot to get just that dagger Tada had. Pointing fingers at the town’s most hated resident felt too easy. The cult hadn’t hidden this deathtrap you were walking in now. All your struggles together had led to this. By now you might have had some professional familiarity. Tada was throwing a look your way.

“We can head outside to be stabbed or follow them. We’ll probably be stabbed later.”

He wasn’t putting his sword away.

The militiamen were smirking with humourless wrath. “I must admit, I’m just a little surprised. You all talk too much.” It was the man having trouble breathing. He stepped forward and strolled through the massive door with the others.

Smoke wafted out, the crackle of a strong fire and a strange smell. Your eyes were adjusting by now. A wall of piled crates hid the carved stone interior. You could see Tada’s men for as long as it took them to get behind that wooden wall. Tada made a point of waving at the trail of thick black ichors they left behind. Steamy, smelly clingy stuff you wouldn’t want on the soles of your feet. Blood?

Zyks
2008-04-15, 03:58 PM
Blackfur

I rather take chances on getting stabbed later. stab-stab straight away sounds like no fun. Maybe chance of fighting before we die no? I say go with crazy people.

With that, he shuffles out in pursuit of the "crazy people" still with his sai drawn and ready.

davidthespecial
2008-04-15, 04:10 PM
Yres

The rites complete, Yres rises and silently follows, sickle in hand.

Faithdreamer
2008-04-15, 10:56 PM
Knife’s Edge

The first thing Blackfur got to see around the corner was the sharp edge of a sword. He’d be cleaning sticky mess out of his fur for hours. There was blood on the blade but it was better with the weight of lives than he was. “Filthy Doppleganger.”
Cultists were backing off and warily glaring at the men who were supposed to keep peace. There was a cultist with a knife at a young woman’s throat. The young woman implores Yres, she looks more afraid of Blackfur than she is of the cultist keeping her under the knife. “Help me...”
“I understand what you mean... we don’t discriminate here.” He flinched when the Doppleganger’s body smacked across the floor with a wet sound. “Thank goodness you’re willing to listen. You’ve got to listen. This is the only choice we’ve got left-

A shrill scream slips passed the barred iron door behind him. It’s a man, form the sounds of it he wasn’t as manly anymore. “We’ll take you to Ashen Graves, he’ll tell you everything. He’s one of the ones who can keep it straight.”

They’re burning supplies. Blackened crates heaped with good quality gray sacks, stacks of well used parchment and piles of dirty ink pens and refuse. The cultists have all got scarves, no such luck for you. The drafts in the tunnel saved you before, only a wizard would save this room now.

“Help me!” The cultist watching all the others presses deeply into her throat with the knife – “Quiet down!” – She’s a little more still, she can feel the red blood bubbling up and washing her neck.

davidthespecial
2008-04-16, 06:42 AM
Yres

Yres studies the woman, slightly suspicious as to why she is present is she is only what she seems to be. He makes eye contact, but only briefly, before turning to the cultist holding her and raising an eyebrow. He doesn't quite trust himself to speak, negotiations not really being his strong point, what with the mumbling and the desire to hide in the nearest available hole when confronted with new people. Alas.

[roll0] Does the woman seem to really be just a woman? In particular, is she as afraid of the cultist as she should be? Does the cultist seem afraid of her?

I would have done detect evil, but that seemed a little too lame :smalltongue:

Faithdreamer
2008-04-16, 09:10 PM
I have my own ideas about Detect Evil. You don't feel like anyone is trying to deceive you. The desperation in the woman's eyes isn't hiding anything and that cultist looks awfully comfortable with his knife.

davidthespecial
2008-04-16, 10:03 PM
Yres

Then again, he wasn't confident many of the others were particularly good negotiators either.

Dontmumbledon'tmumbledon'tmumble. No-one's trying to kill you at present. If they do you have pointy things to hit them with. It's fine. Breathe. Remember to pause occasionally.

"I am willing to listen. My price is her"

he gestures at the woman

"as you presumably expected"

See, that wasn't so bad. Soon you'll be mingling proficient. Or at least enter the room willingly...

Zyks
2008-04-17, 07:50 AM
Blackfur

So uhh, am I dead/unconscious? I love the cryptic language and everything, but It leaves me a little confused at times

Lazlow
2008-04-17, 08:44 AM
Blackfur

So uhh, am I dead/unconscious? I love the cryptic language and everything, but It leaves me a little confused at times

I like the cryptic language too, but this is TOO cryptic. I have no idea what's going on. The cultists just backed off and the militiamen let them go? Who's a doppleganger, and where did they come from? Are we standing in a cave that's practically on fire (from the burning supplies)? Did we move to a different part of the cave?

I am beyond confused!

Faithdreamer
2008-04-17, 03:25 PM
Situational ModifierI’m very sorry I’ve been unable to be as clear as I should have been. You entered the cave through a tunnel and encountered a trap. Militia members who were with you on the raid followed you inside even though they should have stayed outside. Cultists attacked you charging through the big door. They backed off into the room passed the big door. You followed them through the big door with the militia members in the lead (Captain Tada stayed with you). He noticed his men were leaving a blood trail that was decidedly non-human.
Yres and Blackfur were the next to follow the militiamen. Blackfur went first, and one of the militiamen’s swords flashes in front of his eyes. The militia man has just murdered his companion and Blackfur was so close to it (being so close to the sword) that he has that yucky blood all over his fur.

The Militiamen killed one of their own who was actually a Doppleganger pretending to be a militia soldier.

The cultists are burning their supplies in this room which presumably has vents for smoke but still smells AWFUL.

The cultist who is leading the cultists burning the supplies has a hostage, who Yres is trying to save by negotiating for her life. Does anyone still have questions?

Locations:

Supply Room - Yres, Blackfur, Militia Soldiers, Cultists, Hostage

Tunnel - Daen, Darius, Tada

Hank Pym
2008-04-18, 05:52 PM
Darius

Still back in the passage, Darius misses some of what's happening in the room through the doorway, but he can see just enough of the zealot with the hostage and Yres talking to him to get the idea. Yres is strong, but obviously out of his element.

"These zealots aren't much for traps, are they? They've barely opened the door to their lair and they're turning on us. Well, watch my back would you, it seems there are dastardly Doppleganger's about! I'm going to see if I can help Yres with the hostage situation."

Darius sheathes his sword and clears his throat. He straightens a charming smile on his face, spreads his arms wide, and barges into the room where the hostage is.

He makes a bee-line toward the zealot with the hostage, chattering in a friendly tone. But the zealot isn't a zealot for nothing and, of course, is not so taken aback that Darius can walk right up and take the hostage from him. Rather, Darius turns as the zealot takes a sharp and nervous breath.

Darius keeps his arms wide, leaving himself open to attack, and jabbers in a friendly and loud tone, trying to keep the zealots attention as he walks in a long circle toward the zealot's flank, trying to force him to choose between turning his back on either Darius or Yres.

"Good friend zealot! Let not your love of personal deities bring this poor wretch to harm! What god enjoys not sacrifice, but what sacrifice is this woman? I see no ceremonial marks upon her. Fye! A shame if she should fall as she is! Besides what so cunning and handsome a man as yourself should need resort to such desperate behavior as making use of women as hostages? A steadfast and dedicated -- oh, I can see the dedication in your bloodshot, beady little eyes, my friend -- man like yourself has more use of feasts, perhaps! Or burnings! A burnt offering is a solid offering, my priest always used to say! Of course, he was a bit of a drunk and a pyromaniac, but that's beside the point! . . . " (and so on)

Darius will use his Bluff to try to distract the zealot with the hostage and force him to turn his back on either Yres (and Blackfur) or Darius (hopefully Yres and Blackfur, so that they can strike him from behind or simply grab the knife or hostage from him) or throw some good spell on him or some such.

Basically, Darius is trying to distract the zealots (and specifically the one with the hostage) so that his partners can intervine.

Bluff: [roll0]

(I hope that's a good roll!)

Zyks
2008-04-18, 06:41 PM
Blackfur

Thanks faithdreamer, know I know whats going on :smallsmile:

Ugh, look what you done stupid man. Fur's not so easy to clean as clothes, and bloods the worst. But nice kill kill all the same. He makes an effort to shake blood off himself. So that guy a turncoat right right? me hates traitors too.

He seems to have momentarily forgotton about the immediate threat, but when Darius starts pleading, his memory is jolted. Why you want the girl alive? she matter to you or something? No blood on our hands if she fall right? Then we get to stab stab more crazy men!

He readies his sai again, but pauses instead of diving headlong into combat. After all, he wasn't in charge. Of the group or the situation. best to let people try talking first.

Faithdreamer
2008-04-18, 09:31 PM
Heights of Ignorance

Good humour sparkles in the murder’s eyes. “You must be the clown.”
His knife sinks into the woman’s neck like it’s falling through the surface of water. He doesn’t bother with a savage yank; first he lets it slip out again before his grinning conclusion. He leans the woman on the floor gently so she can bleed to death. “I'm not a heartless beast. Your god can fix a little thing like this. His will is absolute.”
He’s looking at Yres with a condescending smirk. The iron door swings open and offers a new path.

Shadows beyond. “You’ll precede me, won’t you clown?”

The hooded cultists aren't all smiling, they're still staying out of the way. The militiamen hug the crates and their heads are jumping from one pair of farmers to the next. All those sickles are still sharp.

davidthespecial
2008-04-19, 09:05 AM
Yres

The woman had barely touched the floor when Yres' hand clasped the wound on her neck, flooding her with healing light. He strokes her cheek briefly, before rising.

He rises, silver eyes blazing with the radiance of a thousand midday suns.

"You have chosen poorly"

davidthespecial
2008-04-19, 09:10 AM
Expending Bull's stength to cast Cure moderate wounds:
[roll0]

Hank Pym
2008-04-21, 09:01 AM
Darius

Darius stabs the throat-slitting zealot.

If possible, Darius will stab him from behind at this point:

"He’s looking at Yres with a condescending smirk."

Attack: [roll0] (crit on 18-20)
And damage (if I hit): [roll1]

If it's a possible crit, here's the second roll: [roll2]
And crit damage (if I crit): [roll3]

If Darius can catch the villain flat-footed, then here's an extra die of sneak attack damage for him, too -- the jerk.

Sneak Attack: [roll4]

Faithdreamer
2008-04-22, 01:09 PM
Misssed

Darius knew as much as anyone the blade never needed to go too far. The tip of his rapier sinks into the man’s back and keeps going. He’s the last one to catch that condescending smirk twitch. It was getting a lot bigger... fog swirls around Darius and the cult boss seems to disappear inside it. It was going to be hard to shake the impression he was still there, smiling, a fleeting touch on the back of the neck.
The fog seems to dissipate as naturally as the fast closing wound on the young woman’s throat.

Gasping and laughing she smiles up and Yres with profound relief blazing in her eyes. “Praise Pelor, these monsters...”

Gray robes and hoods who still had the group surrounded. “Go ahead. We won’t stop you.” A sober, reasonable voice whose owner was taking a good long look at the militia soldiers; maybe he felt like he was a little outmatched.
Supplies hissed and crackled as flames ate them away, charred papers penned with expensive inks and eye-catching colours.

Shadows passed the barred iron door and the misty miasma that crawled away through them. Screams, pleading and vague chanting but everything was still too dark to see. The sun hadn’t been in this hallway for a very long time. A gentle breeze was blowing through the black unseen carrying the scent of... freshly based pastries and flowers...

Blood in this room... and home in the ones further in...?

davidthespecial
2008-04-23, 10:11 AM
Yres

Mumbling something vaguely incoherant, Yres kneels down and stretches out a hand to help the lady up. He smiles a little at the cultist's words - they think they have a choice in the matter? Bless...

On the other hand, someone who vanishes at will is something of a cause for concern. Perhaps it was time to be pressing onward, though a dark room with chanting, screaming and general pastry related weirdness was perhap not the best place to take the lady.'The lady'? You really should find out who she is, you know.

"Erm... who are you, exactly, if I may ask?"

Hank Pym
2008-04-23, 03:03 PM
Darius

Darius is startled at the man's vanishing and he takes a few slow moments to examine the shadows of the cave for the man. He eyes the remaining cultists suspiciously before moving over to the one who invited the party to continue.

Darius eyes the man for a moment, then speaks, but not to the cultists.

"I think we're fools if we don't kill them all now. They've thrown in their lot with one who would slit the throat of a helpless person without so much as a bat of the eye. They're sure to cause us trouble later. If we let them live they'll just find more victims later. Look at them: they're cowering because they know they can't stop us, but as soon as they find someone weaker than them, they'll surely be as vicious and uncaring as their leader."

Search check for the leader, in case he has reappeared nearby in the shadows: [roll0]

Zyks
2008-04-24, 02:36 AM
Blackfur

Blackfur brightens up at Darius' speech.

Fools to let them live? I like it! He leans closer to the others, so as not to let the cultists hear But uhh, you think we can take them with just us three? doesn't look like others followed

Lazlow
2008-04-25, 10:45 AM
Daen

The diminutive priest finally steps through the door in time to hear Blackfur's last statement.

"Do not worry, friend, we are here, we just--" He stops suddenly and is struck speechless as he takes in the scene of mindless carnage laid out before him.

He quickly rushes to help the nearest victim.

Is there anyone close by that he can help?

Faithdreamer
2008-04-26, 05:21 AM
Shadows and Fog

There’s nothing here but the beady dark eyes of men who saw too much. You don’t have any reason to believe the leader is close by. They shuffle their feet and swing their sickles like lazy lions after a hunt. They might even be thinking about whether they want to pile on the four of you and take their chances. The glares these men and women give Blackfur are very pointed.
Yes, we can hear you. We’re standing right here.

It was any wonder why you didn’t feel...

The archer from before is playing with the string of his bow.

Twang. Twang. Twang.

A dim half smile at everyone while he glances around the room thinking about his own private joke. The woman’s come back to her senses. She doesn’t bother giving her name out to a stranger. “You have to help them someone needs to stop this nonsense! This is all mad scat!”

One of the militiamen was giggling at Daen trying to play with a dead body. He leans casually on his sword like he doesn’t care whether it gets a few chinks or not. He’s breathing in with his nose. Savour the scent... “Smells good. They’re dead. All these ones are dead, I got’s to admit I was more than a little surprised too...”

Hank Pym
2008-04-29, 08:21 AM
Darius

Darius steps over near the woman and Yres, giving the archer an angry glare. I know you're right here and can hear me, but I won't be intimidated.

"I've no intention of being bullied into a den of zealots while surrounded by would-be attackers!"

"You, woman: know from my companions actions that we are here to help."

Darius looks back around at the zealots, sword in hand, but talks to his companions.

"If any of you know a reason we should not cut down all these scum, speak it now. Leaving them alive invites them to slit our throats in the near future. Better to take them now before their leader attempts a rally. Surely you agree, Captain Tada?"

Faithdreamer
2008-04-29, 08:28 AM
The Captain doesn't seem to be in the room right now. His voice doesn't grace the air with it's gravelly growl, now that you think of it he never followed the 'monkey-man' inside...

One, two, three, four... another Mob of cultists, the four of you and Tada's so-called men plus the young Woman.

Several Zealots inch across the doorway to the collapsed corridor you used to get inside.

Lazlow
2008-04-29, 08:46 AM
Daen

Finding the victims already dead, the priest listens intently to Darius. He stands.

"Though I am forever sworn to peace and non-violence, I am inclined to agree with you. But I am afraid all I can do is help curb the suffering of those who deserve mercy - and those persons are in short supply in this cursed place."

davidthespecial
2008-04-29, 08:48 AM
Yres

Yres smiles slightly, turning to the cultists and raising an eyebrow slightly, to ensure that they know that he is well aware of their movements and is apparently entirely unconcerned. I am not sure I could ever be an executioner. Though he is right, they probably will turn on us at the first possible opportunity. I miss trees - trees are so much easier than people.

"What say you then? Mercy was offered to you, and one of you at least decided to pursue other options. What say the rest of you? For what reason should we let you live?

No bluff check - he really isn't worried.
[roll0] For the honesty of their answers.

Faithdreamer
2008-05-03, 06:23 AM
Speechless

“Never found out after I said best not to ask where we came from. Ha, ha, you’ve no idea what the lot of you are getting in to ha, ha!” The Militiaman’s derision is almost embarrassing. If his smile weren’t so wide... his lips peeled back to show the pink and healthy gums of a well-fed and exercised soldier. Then his eye started to pop out of his head and change color. Sickening crunch sounds... if flesh could bubble and drip off a person...

The Doppleganger looks like he’s been full of sorrow and mirth for so long.

Stern and untroubled, the cultists all seem to be unimpressed. The young woman is rocking on her heels and shaking while she makes small mewling noises. One of the cultists pushes his way forward and faces the group. “You’d all be fit for a church of Nerull in any season, scum. Mercy this and heavens that and the most heavenly with you is all about spilling more blood. For what reason should the Abjure let you live?”

davidthespecial
2008-05-05, 08:02 AM
Yres

Yres simply smiles slightly. While bloodshed now seems likely he won't be the one to start it, whether through aggressive actions or poorly chosen words.

Everything really does end in death. We can only pray that enough good comes of this day to balance its woe.

Hank Pym
2008-05-05, 10:43 AM
Darius

We should have went outside and faced the Gnolls!

Darius is surprised by the soldier's transformation, but doesn't seem particularly disgusted by it, as if he's seen it many times before, but didn't expect to see it here (especially not after already having one Doppleganger turn up).

He motions to the zealots and says to the Doppleganger, "Surely you're not throwing in with this lot! Go on your way, we've no quarrel with you!" When the creature stands its ground, Darius continues:

"Are they all about to turn on us? What madness have we stumbled upon!?"

Darius sets his back against Yres' flank, readying to be pounced upon by zealots and militiamen alike. As he does so, he takes a quick head count of zealots and soldiers, letting his gaze linger on the soldiers, trying to gauge if all of them are dopplegangers.

Could we get a count of how many zealots and soldiers we face, please?

Also, I don't know if Darius can really tell or not, but he's going to try a Sense Motive check to discern if any more of the soldiers are not what they seem.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Hank Pym
2008-05-05, 10:50 AM
Darius

My roll didn't work. Here it is for real:

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Faithdreamer
2008-05-07, 03:42 PM
Languid

“Don’t really understand what’s happening do you. You’d sound a little insane if all this wasn’t so damn weird. Huh?” It’s that same canny cultist from before. He gestures out to either side to indicate all the faces in the room. Four militiamen turned into Dopplegangers, five cultists on either side of him and five in the doorway to the corridor plus five more scattered around the room. Twenty Zealots all told with four Dopplegangers mixed in.
“You look a little defensive for someone we got no fuss with.” He looks like the kind of person who’d rather talk you to death than get his hands red. The room wants to agree with him. “There’s no turning on anyone here, no throwing in with any lot. Hearing Ashen Graves out is the only sensible good thing.”

It wouldn't be hard to kill all of them...

Hank Pym
2008-05-08, 08:21 AM
Darius

Also one who would rather talk an opponent to death, Darius asks, "Ashen Graves, eh? Your leader no doubt. Why would he, or any one of you, think that we would go deeper into this lair," he motions to the woman whose throat was cut, "when your behavior shows only treatchery and dishonor?"

The question perhaps is rhetorical as Darius doesn't wait for an answer and instead motions to Blackfur, Yres and Daen to come closer to him. Once they've moved close enough to hear, he speaks to them in a low whisper, "What say you, my new found companions? We could probably make good an escape back the way we came, but there is apparently a battalion of Gnolls waiting outside, so I'm not certain that way is safe to us, either. There are plenty of these zealots and Dopplegangers, but only a handful of us, and they seem quite intent upon us meeting this 'Ashen Graves' of theirs. I hate to enter any lair under such conditions, but I'm not sure that simply trying to kill them all will work either." He nods at Blackfur's injuries as if to offer proof. "Have you any ideas, or shall we follow them in hopes of an opportunity of escape? Or perhaps an opportunity to serve some sort of justice, if your gods smile upon us." He gives Yres and Daen a nod. "What say you all?"

Is Captain Tada still in the cave outside this room?

Faithdreamer
2008-05-08, 08:29 AM
Maybe he's in there, or maybe he went back outside. He hasn't been inside the room you're in now.