PDA

View Full Version : Alien Feats

Primal Fury
2008-03-01, 01:05 PM
well, some other forum members have been working on some new abilites for the alienist here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73500. and so far its been going great. and i am going to (try to) do my part and create a new set of feats for the alienist, or just for someone who wants to add some freakyness to their PC, or a DM who wants to add some weirdness to their BBEG.

Note: I WILL need help balancing and tweaking these, so dont be afraid to give me some constructive criticism. and feel free to post your own feats.

Heres the root feat:
Unearthly Spellcasting:
Req: Spell Thematics, Must have visited the Far Realm
Though your spells are already tempered with individuality, it gets to a point where people dont even think they're spells anymore.
Benefits: Your spells take on an alien quality. The spells you cast that are on your "Spell Thematics" list have their caster level increased by +2. They also have any saves associated with them increased by +1 for every level of the spell. The DC's to identify, dispel or counterspell your spells are increased by the same amount. Unfortunately, you also take the same penalty to your attempts to counterspell, since your spells have become so unlike others. Spells that are not on the "Spell Thematics" list have their caster level increased by +1, and their DC's to be identified, dispelled or counterspelled increased by +4.
Special: In order to retain the benefits of this feat, you must visit the Far Realm at least once a month to absorb the essence that fuels your spells. You must stay for a minimum of 2 days.
Note: When your time is up in the Far Realm, you feel a sense of fullness.

and for those who want to spread the weirdness:
Alien Cohort [Leadership]
Prerequisites: Leadership, Unearthly Spellcasting, Cohort must at least be Lvl 10
Benefits: Your cohort gains the Pseudonatural Template.
Special: You must perform a ritual that requires the cooperation of said cohort. It requires at least 5000 gp in materials, including masterwork resin armor. He/She must first be wrapped said armor. Make a knowledge (far realms) check with a DC equal to the cohorts level plus 10 (This is needed to find a suitable entity to merge with the cohort.) You must then give up 5 of you highest level spell slots. (This represents your attepmt to bring the creature into this world.) If the check succeds, roll two d20s and add the cohorts will save and wisdom modifier. If the result is greater than the knowledge (far realms) check, then the cohort has succesfully subjegated the entity's essence and fused with it. If the check fails, then the creature has escaped. If it fails by more than 10, then your cohort was unable to cope with the creatures presence and goes insane, as the spell.
Note: This insanity can be cure by normal means, but failure of this magnitude has destroyed your allies confidence in your abilities. You must gain a new cohort.

The template used is RoC's version, not the standard version.

Alright! nothin to do now but wait!:smallbiggrin:

Realms of Chaos
2008-03-01, 09:04 PM
A small contribution. I'll post more later if I can think of them.

Voices Beyond
You can hear them... can't you?
Benefits: A number of times each day equal to your intelligence modifier, you may make an untrained knowledge check.
Whenever you would be caught flat-footed, you retain your dexterity bonus to your AC but take a -4 penalty to your wisdom score for 24 hours. Multiple penalties stack.

Fractured Logics
It should be done...It's already done...please don't do it.
Benefits: Whenever you make a wisdom-based skill check or a will save, roll 2 d20s and take the lower result. Once per day, when making such a check, you may roll 3 d20s and take the highest result.

Primal Fury
2008-03-02, 06:25 PM
hey RoC! quit postin them awsome feats, yer makin me look bad!:smallyuk:

nah i'm messin... i like'em both, especially how both feats are double edged swords, so to speak. what about the others? are they fine or do they need changes?

Edit: there, i've decided to keep the part about dispelling, it makes sense now that i think about it.

Realms of Chaos
2008-03-02, 08:09 PM
A bit hard for me to comment on your feats as I don't know much about spell themantics (don't think it exists in 3.5) and your Alien Cohort ability looks slightly...incomplete.

Edit: Here is a new feat, with slightly bigger rewards and a much harsher punishment.

Sanctuary Beyond
I'm me most of the time. Sometimes, though, I'm nobody at all.
Benefit: You gain the extraplanar subtype.
Once per day per character level, you may spend an immediate action to add your wisdom bonus (if any) to your AC and gain a 20% miss chance. All of these effects last for the duration of a single attack.
If you are subjected to an effect that returns you to your native plane, you disappear into the far realms, never to be bodily seen again. However, as you are technically alive, no form of revival or resurrection may revive you. After a year and a day, your soul trickles back into the multiverse and may be revived. However, doing so restores you to a new body, as the reincarnation spell.

Primal Fury
2008-03-03, 09:12 AM
oh... well heres spell thematics

SPELL THEMATICS (General)
You have developed a signature thematic manifestation that gives your spells unique visual or auditory qualities. You are more effective when casting spells strongly linked to your theme, and any spell you cast reflects your signature theme to a greater or lesser extent.
Benefit: Choose a theme for your spellcasting. You cast spells designated as central to your theme at +1 caster level. Add +5 to the DC of any Spellcraft check made to identify any spell you cast, whether or not it is designated as a thematic spell.
A spell theme is comprised of two components. The first is a set of spells central to your theme. This consists of one spell at each spell level you can cast. For example, a 5th-level wizard might select ray of frost, magic missile, Snilloc's snowball swarm, and fly as spells central to his theme.
The second component is a common visual or auditory effect all your spells share, such as "fire", "ice", or "screaming skiulls." The special effect does not change the spells in any way, other than enhancing your caster level with the spells you coose to be central to your theme. For example, if your theme is "fire" then your magic missile spell might appear to produce bolts of filre, although the bolts are still a force effect and cause normal damage, not fire damage. If your theme is "screaming skulls", your fly spell might manifest as a dozen small screaming skulls that orbit around you, bearing you aloft.

and mayhaps an increase in caster level would be nice as well:smallamused:

and what do you mean when you say "incomplete"?

EDIT: there, just made some adjustments to Unearthly Spellcasting.

Realms of Chaos
2008-03-03, 09:43 AM
Okay. In that case...

Unearthly spellcasting: as currently written, you are increasing the Spells DC as well as the DCs to dispel, identify, etc (perhaps the words "any DC associated with them" were a bad choice there).

Alien Cohort: yeah, it looks kind of incomplete. The prerequisites are not complete, the ritual has not been put in, and you probably need more than one sentance on the effect of the feat to describe how it works (for instance, does the cohort's level rely on your leadership score? How do you replace them? Etc.)

Primal Fury
2008-03-03, 10:11 AM
ah i see, i'll fix that straight away, and about that Sanctuary feat, if the character already has the pseudo template, does it stack with that miss chance?

Edit: added ritual, and fixed the wording on UnSp

Primal Fury
2008-03-06, 01:18 PM
okay, added a little bit more to the ritual for Alien Cohort, and where is everybody??? all these views and only RoC is helpin me out?! thats messed up:smallyuk: well... thank YOU Realms of Chaos for your feedback:smallwink:

smart thog
2008-03-07, 05:31 PM
Alright, Heres a Far Realmsy thing for you

Insane Summoning
You may impart some more of the far realm into the creatures you summon, but at what cost?
Prerequisites: Augment summoning, at least one level in the alienist prestige class.
Benefit: Whenever you summon a pseudonatural creature, it adds +4 to all its DC, and may use its horrible form and True strike ability.
Special whenever you summon a pseudonatural creature, you must make a DC 5+level of the spell used to summon it, will save, or take one point of WIS damage.