PDA

View Full Version : Hydrochordian [PrC]

Ethrael
2008-03-01, 01:57 PM
Ok so, here's my third prestige class for my campaign, this time based on water. The Hydrochordians manipulate water through singing, so they're a cross between a sorcerer, druid and bard.:smallsmile:

Hydrochordian

Requirements
To qualify to become a Hydrochordian, a character must fulfil all the following criteria.
Skills: Perform (sing) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks.
Feats: Spell Focus (transmutation)
Other: At least 2 levels of an arcane spellcasting class.

Class Skills
Hit die: d4
The Hydrochordian class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill points at each additional level: 6 + Int modifier

{table=head]
Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Connection with water, Bardic Music|-

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Summon Water Elemental 1/day|+1 level to existing arcane spellcasting class.

3rd|+2|+0|+0|+3|Bonus metamagic feat|-

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Aqua travel|+1 level to existing arcane spellcasting class.

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Water body|-

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Summon Water Elemental 2/day|+1 level to existing arcane spellcasting class.

7th|+5|+2|+2|+6|Bonus metamagic feat|-

8th|+6|+2|+2|+6|-|+1 level to existing arcane spellcasting class.

9th|+6|+3|+3|+6|Summon Water Elemental 3/day|+1 level to existing arcane spellcasting class.

10th|+7|+3|+3|+7|Hydrochoir|-[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and armour proficiency: Hydrochordians are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the rapier and scimitar. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a sorcerer’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Spellcasting/Spells per day: At every other level gained as a Hydrochordian starting from 2nd and at 9th, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast spells before he became a Hydrochordian he must decide to which class he adds each level of Hydrochordian for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Connection with Water: At 1st level, a Hydrochordian becomes much more connected to any water around him through melodic singing. He can speak Aquan and talk to any water-based creature as the Speak with Animals spell. He also has a type of naturewatch for water instead, except it works in a 50 ft. radius around him.

Bardic Music: The Hydrochordian's levels stack with the Bard's to determine what effect they get from their Bardic Music. For example, a 5th level bard who takes one level in Hydrochordian still gets Suggestion as a 6th level bard.

Summon Water Elemental: At 2nd level, a Hydrochordian can summon a small Water Elemental once per day, as the Summon Monster III spell. At 6th level, this ability increases to twice per day and at 9th to thrice per day.

Bonus Metamagic Feat: At 3rd and 7th levels, the Hydrochordian gains an additional metamagic feat.

Aqua Travel: At 3rd level, a Hydrochordian may use the aqua travel class feature equal to his Hydrochordian level per day. The Hydrochordian can travel across and through water much faster and more efficiently than others due to the effects of his singing echoing off the magical resonance of water. He can choose one of the 3 following ways as to do so.
Water walking, which functions in the same way as the water walk spell, except it lasts for as long as the Hydrochordian wishes it; Swim: a combination of Wings of the sea and Water breathing. The Hydrochordian becomes much faster when swimming in water, gaining a swim speed of 60 feet, he can also breathe underwater and gets a strength bonus of +5 when in the water. The final type of aqua travel is Water Jump. This functions in the same way as the Shadowdancer’s shadow jump except the maximum distance jumped per day is 10 times their Hydrochordian’s level feet and they use water instead of shadows.

Water body: At 5th level, a Hydrochordian can use the water body class feature equal to half their Hydrochordian level per day.
Through singing at the same pitch and reverberating the sound within his body, the Hydrochordian may assume the body like that of a water elemental. He gains all elemental special qualities, special attacks, attacks, AC, speed and saves as that of a water elemental of his size. He retains his hit points, feats, skills and abilities. His reach however is modified: he may stretch his water body in a certain direction up to his Hydrochordian level feet plus the elemental’s original reach. When in water body he may also use the water jump effect of the aqua travel class feature at will.
The Hydrochordian may stay in water body for 10 minutes per Hydrochordian level. The Hydrochordian may exit before their time is up, however this still counts as a full use of the class feature.

Hydrochoir: At 10th level, through extremely complex and intricate singing patterns, the Hydrochordian may achieve a state of power known as a Hydrochoir. He may use this class feature 2/day.
A Hydrochoir is complete control over water. It functions like control water only with some differences. The Hydrochordian may manipulate any liquid body of water within a 30 foot radius to make shapes, move them around or attack with them. He can also use the Hydrochoir state to perform the same effects with the control water spell.
If a Hydrochordian chooses to lift a body of water, it can take on any shape he wants, and can move through air at a speed of 20 feet. It the Hydrochordian uses it to attack someone, it counts as a slam attack as that of a water elemental of the same size as the amount of water. Hydrochoir can be used as the tsunami spell but the water stops moving after exiting the edge of the Hydrochordian’s range. Hydrochoir cannot be used as the spell extract water elemental; it only works on water bodies, not particles.

jagadaishio
2008-03-01, 02:09 PM
You have a glaring dead level at 9th. At least put something there.

Ethrael
2008-03-02, 02:49 AM
The idea was that they aren't very good until they get Hydrochoir which is really powerful, but I guess I could put the +1 spellcasting on lvl 9 instead of 10.

Hazkali
2008-03-02, 08:00 AM
If you're basing this off of the Bard class, you might want to have these levels stack with those of Bard for determining Bardic Music.

Also, just for my own personal preference but I've grown to dislike PrCs that have levels with no special abilities. If you could, I would include a really minor, stacking ability to fill each of the empty levels (ok, I know that they aren't truly dead levels as they gain spellcasting, but that's none too interesting.

The idea was that they aren't very good until they get Hydrochoir which is really powerful, but I guess I could put the +1 spellcasting on lvl 9 instead of 10.

This is an astonishingly bad idea. Remember that on average that a character has to go through 13 appropriate encounters to go up a level, which in "real world" time can be five or six sessions. Multiply this by nine sub-standard levels, and that's 54 sessions that they're behind for. Assuming that a gaming group plays one session per week, then that's over a year in real life that your character is going to be behind.

Ethrael
2008-03-02, 09:39 AM
If you're basing this off of the Bard class, you might want to have these levels stack with those of Bard for determining Bardic Music.

I didn't mean that I'm basing it off Bard, only that the idea of singing was brought from the bard. The character doesn't get anything extra for Bardic Music from this.

Also, just for my own personal preference but I've grown to dislike PrCs that have levels with no special abilities. If you could, I would include a really minor, stacking ability to fill each of the empty levels (ok, I know that they aren't truly dead levels as they gain spellcasting, but that's none too interesting.

I see what you mean. Perhaps a summon Water elemental once a day and the maximum size of elemental summoned changes?

This is an astonishingly bad idea. Remember that on average that a character has to go through 13 appropriate encounters to go up a level, which in "real world" time can be five or six sessions..... Assuming that a gaming group plays one session per week, then that's over a year in real life that your character is going to be behind.

The point I was making is that a very powerful class feature is obtainable at lvl 10. If they spend all their time going through Hydrochordian levels to get that, I understand it'll take a long time. But what if the didn't start of as a lvl 1 Hydrochordian. If you're campaign was starting off at lvl 5 for example, you'd be lvl 1 Hydrochordian by 3 level or so. I think that the best way to make it more interesting a class as you go through the levels would be to do what you said before, to add a more minor stacking ability throughout.

Hazkali
2008-03-02, 10:06 AM
I didn't mean that I'm basing it off Bard, only that the idea of singing was brought from the bard. The character doesn't get anything extra for Bardic Music from this.

However the easiest way of reaching the pre-reqs for this class is through Bard; Sorcerer and Wizard both lack perform as a class skill. Therefore (to my mind) stacking the levels with those of Bard is an intuitive direction for this class.

I see what you mean. Perhaps a summon Water elemental once a day and the maximum size of elemental summoned changes?

Good idea; perhaps just Summon Monster III (Small Water Elemental only) as a spell-like ability, usable once/day at second level, twice/day at 6th and thrice/day at 9th, or something like that.

The point I was making is that a very powerful class feature is obtainable at lvl 10. If they spend all their time going through Hydrochordian levels to get that, I understand it'll take a long time. But what if the didn't start of as a lvl 1 Hydrochordian. If you're campaign was starting off at lvl 5 for example, you'd be lvl 1 Hydrochordian by 3 level or so. I think that the best way to make it more interesting a class as you go through the levels would be to do what you said before, to add a more minor stacking ability throughout.

Hmm...I don't understand your reasoning in the first three sentences. If you started off at level 5, yes, you would have to take three levels before Hydrochlorian. However, if the levels in hydrochlorian are sub-par, then you still have to endure another 10 levels before your character becomes viable again. The only way to get around this would be to start at level 15, say, and have already taken some levels in Hydrochlorian.

Kai-Palin
2008-03-02, 10:45 AM
If you're campaign was starting off at lvl 5 for example, you'd be lvl 1 Hydrochordian by 3 level or so. I think that the best way to make it more interesting a class as you go through the levels would be to do what you said before, to add a more minor stacking ability throughout.

No, actually, you stated very clearly that a required skill was Perform (Sing): 10 Ranks. Which means that a character must be at least 7th level to take this PrC.

Ethrael
2008-03-02, 12:10 PM
No, actually, you stated very clearly that a required skill was Perform (Sing): 10 Ranks. Which means that a character must be at least 7th level to take this PrC.

I'm afraid I don't know how to calculate the maximum amount of ranks for each level. I should but I don't.

However the easiest way of reaching the pre-reqs for this class is through Bard; Sorcerer and Wizard both lack perform as a class skill. Therefore (to my mind) stacking the levels with those of Bard is an intuitive direction for this class.

Do you mean continuing to advance in level as Bard in terms of their Bardic Music? That would be a good idea, I would give the class a much more obvious singing element to it.

Hazkali
2008-03-02, 01:06 PM
I'm afraid I don't know how to calculate the maximum amount of ranks for each level. I should but I don't.

The easy-to-remember formula is simply Character Level+3, or half that for cross-class. Based on the 10 ranks you have to have for entry to this class the character must be minimum 7th level, taking their 8th level, to get in. That means that by taking all 10 levels they come out a 17th level character.

Ethrael
2008-03-02, 03:38 PM
oh nononono, it's not meant to be for lvl 7's only. I actually made it thinking it would be easier for lower levels to take it, like the PC's in my campaign. If i change it to 8 ranks, it would make more sense since prc's are made to be taken usually around lvl 5 anyway.