PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate [Base Class; PEACH]

Sophistemon
2008-03-01, 03:46 PM
For a little while now Terumitsu and I have been working together on this project, though admittedly he's done the larger, lion's share of the work. My job has mostly been setting up the table (in MSWord, I'm afraid, not here) and neatening everything up. Here is what we have so far:

The Pirate

Alignment
A Pirate must be Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, or Chaotic Evil

Hit die
1d8

Class Skills
The Pirate’s class skills (and the key ability for each) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Innuendo (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Navigation (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Intelligence Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Intelligence Modifier

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the Pirate

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Pirates are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the short sword, saber, cutlass, net, hook, and all gunpowder weapons (i.e., guns, pistols, cannons, mortars, etc.). Pirates are proficient with light armor, bucklers and small shields.

The Code: Pirates are notoriously rebellious and slippery and abhor the rigid rules that landlubbers would impose upon their freedom. The Pirate must never willingly commit an overly lawful act, such as reporting a theft, or imprisoning someone for non-violent transgressions. Should the Pirate do any of these things, he loses his class features until he performs a highly unlawful act, like stealing something of great value or causing a great deal of mischief.

Piracy (Ex): By 2nd level, Pirates are masters of picking apart even the most complex locks and stealing from people right under their noses. They add half their class level to their Sleight of Hand and Open Lock checks.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a Pirate can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Pirate is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Pirate does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Sneak Attack: If a Pirate can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
The Pirate‘s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Pirate flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 3rd level, and it increases by 1d6 every three Pirate levels thereafter. Should the Pirate score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Pirate can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.
A Pirate can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Pirate must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Pirate cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

The Stars are My Guide (Ex): By 4th level, Pirates know the night sky like the back of their hands, and thus add their class level to their Navigation checks. Additionally, they can see almost as well at night as they can during the day, and gain Darkvision (60 ft.). If the Pirate already has Darkvision, the range is extended to 120 ft.

Sureshot (Ex): At 5th level, the Pirate can wield gunpowder weapons with astounding skill and ease, and receives a +1 bonus to his attack and damage rolls when using gunpowder weapons of any sort (guns, cannons, mortars, etc).

It’s a Pirate’s Life for Me! (Ex): At 6th level, the Pirate is a veritable master of the seas, able to fight even upon the stormiest of seas and excels at many different pirate-related skills. He adds his class level to his Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Use Rope checks while upon a seafaring vessel. Otherwise, he adds half his class level (Swim always gets full benefit).

Take Aim (Ex): At 8th level, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier when using a gun or pistol, the Pirate may choose to use a full action to take aim at one enemy within range; he may do nothing but take aim for one entire round, and loses his Dexterity bonus to his Armor Save during this round. However, next round, he adds half his class level, rounding down, to both his attack rolls and damage rolls for the entire round when attacking with guns or pistols when attacking the target he spent one round aiming at.

Ambush (Ex): Pirates are infamous for fighting dirty, and love to take their opponents by surprise. At 9th level, they gain a +4 bonus to their Initiative rolls, which stacks with all feats, spells and abilities that improve Initiative, and gain an additional free attack when they surprise opponents.

Ahoy, Me Hearties! (Ex): By 10th level, the Pirate’s reputation as a ruffian of the worst sort spreads far and wide, attracting to him a loyal crew. He gains the Leadership feat, and should he already possess this feat, he gains a +4 bonus to his Leadership score instead.

Swashbuckler (Ex): At 11th level, the Pirate can wield two short swords, daggers or comparable weapons with astounding alacrity, making mince meat out of his enemies with his deadly blades. He may wield two short swords, daggers, or comparable weapons at the same time without penalty; this means that he receives an extra attack at his full BAB every round when wielding two short swords, daggers, or similar weapons at the same time.

Swarthy and Salt-bitten (Ex): By 12th level, Pirates become tough and hardy from their many adventures and battles. They gain a +5 bonus to their hit points, a +2 enhancement bonus to their Fortitude saves, and a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.

Abandon Ship! (Ex): At 13th level, Pirates become so alert and agile that they can dodge even the fastest of attacks. They gain Improved Evasion, as per the Rogue ability.

Gunslinger (Ex): At 13th level, the Pirate can simultaneously wield two guns, pistols or comparable weapons without any penalty to his attack rolls; this means that he receives an extra attack at his full BAB every round when wielding two guns, pistols or comparable weapons simultaneously.

Scoundrel (Ex): At 14th level, the Pirate becomes a master of all manner of trickery and deceit. He adds his class level to his Bluff, Disguise and Forgery checks.

“X” Marks the Spot (Ex): At 17th level, once per round, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier, the Pirate may aim one of his attacks at one of his enemies’ vital points, such as the head or the heart; should this attack hit, the affected enemy must pass a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 8 + half the Pirate’s class level (rounded down) + the Pirate’s Dexterity modifier or be instantly slain. Note that creatures immune to critical hits are also immune to this ability. Additionally, the Pirate becomes incredibly skilled at locating treasure, and adds half his class level to his Search checks.

Hail of Bullets (Ex): At 19th level, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier, the Pirate may use a full action to riddle his enemies with a deadly hail of bullets when using two guns or pistols simultaneously. The guns must have the ability to shoot multiple rounds. He doubles his number of attacks for the round, but suffers a cumulative -2 penalty to each of his attack rolls and also cannot use his “X” Marks the Spot ability during the round he uses this ability. Additionally, as he is wholly engaged in shooting his enemies to bits, he loses his Dexterity bonus to his Armor Class for the entire round.

Master of the Seven Seas (Ex): At 20th level, the Pirate becomes a true king of the waves, even tougher and hardier than ordinary pirates and nearly immune to the dangerous elements found upon even the stormiest of seas. He gains 10 hit points, a +4 enhancement bonus to his Fortitude saves, a +2 natural armor bonus to his Armor Saves, electricity resistance 15 and cold resistance 15.

Level Progression

Level Base Attack Bonus Fortitude Save Reflex Save Will Save Special
1st +0 +2 +2 +0 The Code
2nd +1 +3 +3 +0 Piracy
3rd +2 +3 +3 +1 Evasion; Sneak Attack +1d6
4th +3 +4 +4 +1 The Stars are My Guide
5th +3 +4 +4 +1 Sureshot
6th +4 +5 +5 +2 It’s a Pirate’s Life for Me, Sneak Attack +2d6
7th +5 +5 +5 +2
8th +6/+1 +6 +6 +2 Take Aim
9th +6/+1 +6 +6 +3 Ambush, Sneak Attack +3d6
10th +7/+2 +7 +7 +3 Ahoy, Me Hearties!
11th +8/+3 +7 +7 +3 Swashbuckler
12th +9/+4 +8 +8 +4 Swarthy and Salt-bitten, Sneak Attack +4d6
13th +9/+4 +8 +8 +4 Abandon Ship!, Gunslinger
14th +10/+6 +9 +9 +4 Scoundrel
15th +11+6/+1 +9 +9 +5 Sneak Attack +5d6
16th +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +5
17th +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +5 “X” Marks the Spot
18th +13/+8+3 +11 +11 +6 Sneak Attack +6d6
19th +14/+9/+5 +11 +11 +6 Hail of Bullets
20th +15/+10/+5 +12 +12 +6 Master of the Seven Seas

If you could, I would like those of you that are experienced "homebrewers" to help me get the project to completion, because I have my first ever actual game tomorrow and I would love to play a Pirate, as the campaign itself is pirate-based. Here are some suggestions that have already been made to me by a friend:

That the Pirate needs an additional first level ability very badly. The suggestion was to rework the Sneak Attack progression to match that of a Rogue. This would serve the dual purpose of filling that slot with something useful while also upping the Pirate's damage-dealing capabilities. My friend also suggests giving the Pirate the Improved Feint feat, which would be useful throughout the Pirate's entire career.

That the made-up Navigation skill should be removed, and that the bonus that would go to it at sixth level ("The Stars are My Guide") should instead go to the Survival skill.

That the currently empty level seven should be filled with the Dread Pirate prestige class ability "Steady Stance" (A Dread Pirate remains stable on his feet when others have difficulty standing. He is not considered flat footed when balancing or climbing. If at all possible, would anyone mind posting the full wording of that ability? I do not have access to Complete Adventurer).

That, instead of getting the Leadership feat at level 10 ("Ahoy, Me Hearties!") the Pirate should instead get a scaling progression of Diplomacy/Intimidation bonuses. Perhaps these bonuses could apply to all Charisma-based skills, but that might be overpowered. Possible name for this ability: "Forceful Personality". I would need help in figuring out a proper scale for the bonuses, if at all possible.

I like these ideas, but I would also like to hear what others have to say. If you would be so kind, please post your thoughts and suggestions. I would very much appreciate it.

Cormac
2008-03-01, 04:24 PM
I like it. I might make a few minor changes myself, such as scaling the increases to hitpoints and fortitude saves, but it is good the way it is. I like the idea of having them focused on pistols and such. where are the stats for pistols?

I think it would be a lot of fun to play this. keep us posted on how it works.

Sophistemon
2008-03-01, 04:30 PM
I like it. I might make a few minor changes myself, such as scaling the increases to hitpoints and fortitude saves, but it is good the way it is. I like the idea of having them focused on pistols and such. where are the stats for pistols?

I think it would be a lot of fun to play this. keep us posted on how it works.

Thank you for your complements, though please remember that Terumitsu has done the vast majority of the "crunch-work". I myself have been doing a bit "additional" homenbrewery, specifically in the field of Pirate-themed weapons including, yes, two types of pistols. I plan on getting to muskets and cannons eventually. Here, though, is the answer to your question. I am sure that there are others out there, but I'm using these:

Flintlock Pistol (martial, one-handed projectile)
Critical: x3
Range Increment: 50 ft
Type: Piercing
Hardness: 5
Size Cost Damage Weight Hit Points
Fine 3 gp, 2 sp, 5 cp 1d2 1/8 lb 1
Diminutive 7 gp, 5 sp 1d3 1/4 lb 1
Tiny 15 gp 1d4 1/2 lb 1
Small 30 gp 1d6 1 lb 2
Medium 30 gp 1d8 2 lbs 5
Large 60 gp 2d6 4 lbs 10
Huge 120 gp 3d6 8 lbs 20
Gargantuan 240 gp 4d6 16 lbs 40
Colossal 480 gp 6d6 32 lbs 80
Loading a pistol is a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity. You can shoot, but not load, a pistol with one hand at no penalty. You can shoot a pistol with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two light weapons.

Mando Knight
2008-03-01, 07:23 PM
For those who want the Pirate in their campaigns without gunpowder weapons, could you add in some bow proficiencies? Piracy was rampant on the high seas even before the dawn of European gunpowder weapons in Real Life, and it may be so in D&D. Also, bows are way cheaper for your down-on-his-luck pirate without any powder or bullets left.

I'd think that making a Fine flintlock would be rather hard, maybe you should increase the cost of the weapon for sizes smaller than Small to reflect the great skill required to successfully craft a gun barrel only a few millimeters in diameter.

Triaxx
2008-03-01, 09:32 PM
I like it. I think it's fine as it is, with one minor recommendation.

'X marks the spot' should let me try and make a sneak attack, instead of the instant kill. Maybe add a penalty for doing so, but it seems to fit.

Sophistemon
2008-03-01, 11:52 PM
For those who want the Pirate in their campaigns without gunpowder weapons, could you add in some bow proficiencies? Piracy was rampant on the high seas even before the dawn of European gunpowder weapons in Real Life, and it may be so in D&D. Also, bows are way cheaper for your down-on-his-luck pirate without any powder or bullets left.

I'd think that making a Fine flintlock would be rather hard, maybe you should increase the cost of the weapon for sizes smaller than Small to reflect the great skill required to successfully craft a gun barrel only a few millimeters in diameter.
1. For a quick and simple fix to that problem, I would just assume that all bonuses towards the usage of gunpowder weapons would apply equally towards fired ranged weapons in general (bows, crossbows and the aforementioned gunpowder weapons, but not throwing weapons). I may go back and adjust it to say that but, seeing as how the Pirate was designed for use during a game taking place during the so-called Golden Age of Piracy, during which gunpowder weapons were available, I would rather not impact the fluff. Please, though, feel free to make your own changes.

2. That's an excellent idea! Perhaps the prices of gunpowder weapons smaller than Small would be equal to their opposites on the other side of the size spectrum? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

I like it. I think it's fine as it is, with one minor recommendation.

'X marks the spot' should let me try and make a sneak attack, instead of the instant kill. Maybe add a penalty for doing so, but it seems to fit.
That is most certainly doable, I'm sure.

I plan on making all of the changes at once, if possible. The current consensus seems to be that the class is nearly perfected, save for a few minor details. Are their any opposing views? Does anyone think that I should implement the changes suggested by my friends? Does anyone happen to have an in-depth critique of the Pirate that they would like to share? Perhaps your thoughts on how useful it will be in the later levels? I am really very eager to hear the thoughts of those with more experience than I, so please do not hesitate to enlighten me.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-02, 01:23 AM
I propose the following changes in the progression of abilities and the Take Aim ability:

{table="head"]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|The Code, sneak attack +1d6
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Piracy
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Evasion
4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|The Stars are My Guide, sneak attack +2d6
5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Sureshot
6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|It’s a Pirate’s Life for Me
7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|Sneak Attack +3d6
8th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2|Take Aim
9th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|Ambush
10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Ahoy, Me Hearties!, sneak attack +4d6
11th|+8/+3|+7|+7|+3|Swashbuckler
12th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Swarthy and Salt-bitten
13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Abandon Ship!, sneak attack +5d6
14th|+10/+5|+9|+9|+4|Scoundrel
15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+5|Gunslinger
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Sneak attack +6d6
17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|“X” Marks the Spot
18th|+13/+8+3|+11|+11|+6|Hail of bullets
19th|+14/+9/+5|+11|+11|+6|Sneak attack +7d6
20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Master of the Seven Seas[/table]

Take Aim (Ex): At 8th level, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier when using a gun or pistol, the Pirate may choose to use a full action to take aim and fire at one enemy within range; he may do nothing but take aim for one entire round, and loses his Dexterity bonus to his Armor Save during this round. At the end of the round, he may fire his weapon, adding half his class level, rounding down, to both his attack rolls and damage rolls when attacking with guns or pistols the target he aimed at, until the end of his next action.

Reinboom
2008-03-02, 01:34 AM
Is this 3.0 or 3.5?
In 3.5, Innuendo doesn't exist.

He adds his class level to his Bluff.

This is rather high. Glibness is (though one of the very very few) problem bard spells. A good GM, and a GM with experience how-to, can handle it. However, it does provide serious campaign stripping potential.

Also, me (like many GMs) outright ban Leadership. And careful about working with diplomacy bonuses, since, diplomacy can be broken easily.

Oh, also, Class Table Generator (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/)
Since, Iames is a meany and doesn't give me free advertising, so, I must. :smalltongue:

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-02, 01:51 AM
I would also recommend changing Navigation to Survival, and go ahead and give them Improved Feint at lvl 1.

Sophistemon
2008-03-02, 02:03 AM
Thanks so much to everyone who has helped so far. I think that I've got enough changes for my game tomorrow, though of course I'd be more than happy to hear your other suggestions! I would like the Pirate to be as fair and balanced as possible, if possible, so please keep your ideas coming!

Changes to be made tonight, for tomorrow's game:

* Remove Innuendo from the Class Skills, because it is obsolete.
* Change the Navigation bonus in "The Stars are my Guide" to instead provide a bonus to the Survival skill, and remove Navigation from the Class Skills.
* Remove gaining the Leadership feat from "Ahoy, Me Hearties" and replace it with a bonus to Diplomacy, Gather Information and Intimidation equal to one-half of the Pirate's Class Level.
* Change the "Scoundrel" ability to provide a bonus equal to one-half of the Pirate's Class Level, instead of equal to his entire class level.
* Adjust the "Take Aim" ability as per Iames' suggestion.
* Grant the Pirate the Improved Feint feat at level one.
* Employ Iames' version of the Character Progression Table.

---

The Pirate

Alignment
A Pirate must be of any non-Lawful Alignment

Hit die
1d8

Class Skills
The Pirate’s class skills (and the key ability for each) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).

Class Features

Pirates are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the short sword, saber, cutlass, net, hook, and all gunpowder weapons (i.e., guns, pistols, cannons, mortars, etc.). Pirates are proficient with light armor, bucklers and small shields.

The Code: Pirates are notoriously rebellious and slippery and abhor the rigid rules that landlubbers would impose upon their freedom. The Pirate must never willingly commit an overly lawful act, such as reporting a theft, or imprisoning someone for non-violent transgressions. Should the Pirate do any of these things, he loses his class features until he performs a highly unlawful act, like stealing something of great value or causing a great deal of mischief.

Sneak Attack: If a Pirate can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
The Pirate‘s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Pirate flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every three Pirate levels thereafter. Should the Pirate score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Pirate can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.
A Pirate can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Pirate must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Pirate cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Improved Feint (Ex): Pirates are notorious for being cunning and tricky fighters. A Pirate gains Improved Feint as a bonus feat at 1st level even if he does not qualify for the feat.

Piracy (Ex): By 2nd level, Pirates are masters of picking apart even the most complex locks and stealing from people right under their noses. They add half their class level to their Sleight of Hand and Open Lock checks.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a Pirate can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Pirate is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Pirate does not gain the benefit of evasion.

The Stars are My Guide (Ex): By 4th level, Pirates know the night sky like the back of their hands, and thus add half of their class level to their Survival checks. Additionally, they can see almost as well at night as they can during the day, and gain Low-light Vision. If the Pirate already has Low-light Vision, he can see twice as far as normal under conditions of inferior lighting.

Sureshot (Ex): At 5th level, the Pirate can wield gunpowder weapons with astounding skill and ease, and receives a +1 bonus to his attack and damage rolls when using gunpowder weapons of any sort (guns, cannons, mortars, etc).

It’s a Pirate’s Life for Me! (Ex): At 6th level, the Pirate is a veritable master of the seas, able to fight even upon the stormiest of seas and excels at many different pirate-related skills. He adds his class level to his Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Use Rope checks while upon a seafaring vessel. Otherwise, he adds half his class level (Swim always gets full benefit).

Take Aim (Ex): At 8th level, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier when using a gun or pistol, the Pirate may choose to use a full action to take aim and fire at one enemy within range; he may do nothing but take aim for one entire round, and loses his Dexterity bonus to his Armor Save during this round. At the end of the round, he may fire his weapon, adding half his class level, rounding down, to both his attack rolls and damage rolls when attacking with guns or pistols the target he aimed at, until the end of his next action.

Ambush (Ex): Pirates are infamous for fighting dirty, and love to take their opponents by surprise. At 9th level, they gain a +4 bonus to their Initiative rolls, which stacks with all feats, spells and abilities that improve Initiative, and gain an additional free attack when they surprise opponents.

Ahoy Me Hearties! (Ex): By 10th level, the Pirate’s reputation as a ruffian has spread far and wide, earning him the fear, respect, and admiration of the populace. He gains a bonus equal to half his class level on Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate checks.

Swashbuckler (Ex): At 11th level, the Pirate can wield two short swords, daggers or comparable weapons with astounding alacrity, making mince meat out of his enemies with his deadly blades. He may wield two short swords, daggers, or comparable weapons at the same time without penalty; this means that he receives an extra attack at his full BAB every round when wielding two short swords, daggers, or similar weapons at the same time.

Swarthy and Salt-bitten (Ex): By 12th level, Pirates become tough and hardy from their many adventures and battles. They gain a +5 bonus to their hit points, a +2 enhancement bonus to their Fortitude saves, and a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.

Abandon Ship! (Ex): At 13th level, Pirates become so alert and agile that they can dodge even the fastest of attacks. They gain Improved Evasion, as per the Rogue ability.

Scoundrel (Ex): At 14th level, the Pirate becomes a master of all manner of trickery and deceit. He adds his half of his class level to his Bluff, Disguise and Forgery checks.

Gunslinger (Ex): At 15th level, the Pirate can simultaneously wield two guns, pistols or comparable weapons without any penalty to his attack rolls; this means that he receives an extra attack at his full BAB every round when wielding two guns, pistols or comparable weapons simultaneously.

“X” Marks the Spot (Ex): At 17th level, once per round, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier, the Pirate may aim one of his attacks at one of his enemies’ vital points, such as the head or the heart; should this attack hit, the affected enemy must pass a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 10 + half the Pirate’s class level (rounded down) + the Pirate’s Dexterity modifier or be instantly slain. Note that creatures immune to critical hits are also immune to this ability. Additionally, the Pirate becomes incredibly skilled at locating treasure, and adds half his class level to his Search checks.

Hail of Bullets (Ex): At 18th level, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier, the Pirate may use a full action to riddle his enemies with a deadly hail of bullets when using two guns or pistols simultaneously. The guns must have the ability to shoot multiple rounds. He doubles his number of attacks for the round, but suffers a cumulative -2 penalty to each of his attack rolls and also cannot use his “X” Marks the Spot ability during the round he uses this ability. Additionally, as he is wholly engaged in shooting his enemies to bits, he loses his Dexterity bonus to his Armor Class for the entire round.

Master of the Seven Seas (Ex): At 20th level, the Pirate becomes a true king of the waves, even tougher and hardier than ordinary pirates and nearly immune to the dangerous elements found upon even the stormiest of seas. He gains 10 hit points, a +4 enhancement bonus to his Fortitude saves, a +2 natural armor bonus to his Armor Saves, electricity resistance 15 and cold resistance 15.

Level Progression

{table="head"]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|The Code; Sneak Attack +1d6; Improved Feint
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Piracy
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Evasion
4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|The Stars are My Guide; Sneak Attack +2d6
5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Sureshot
10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Ahoy, Me Hearties!; Sneak Attack +4d6
13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Abandon Ship!; Sneak Attack +5d6
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Sneak Attack +6d6
18th|+13/+8+3|+11|+11|+6|Hail of Bullets
19th|+14/+9/+5|+11|+11|+6|Sneak Attack +7d6

Your thoughts on these changes?

Various
2008-03-02, 05:17 AM
It seems rather over-powered. It has most of the good abilities of a rogue and the same skill set, better hit points, better BAB, and better saves for the cost of getting some rogue skills one level later and losing two skill points per level. But then on top of it there's all the new abilities you added. Why would anyone play a rogue when they could be this?

I dunno about the alignment restriction. Piracy was never the sole domain of just thieves. Privateers were basically legal pirates who hunted enemy ships during times of war.

Also I wonder if this class is really necessary. I mean you can basically get something very similar by having a fighter or a swashbuckler with a few levels of rogue and choosing nautical skills. But even still, piracy isn't so much a profession as it is a job. This feels like prestige class territory.

Triaxx
2008-03-02, 11:02 AM
Perhaps simply list it as not lawful? Privateer's were Privateers because they didn't like following the rules.

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-04, 07:39 PM
My shiny copper pieces:

1) Make The Code not apply when dealing with fellow pirates. You're just asking for trouble as it currently sits.

2) Swashbuckler (and Gunslinger) is somewhat poorly worded. I suggest changing it to the effect of "When wielding [weapons], a Pirate does not suffer the attack penalties for two-weapon fighting." Gunslinger could also be rolled into the Swashbuckler ability (Similar to a druid's Wild Shape improving as more levels are gained), but this is more a cosmetic change.

2.5) Master of the Seven Seas could be made into an improved Swarthy and Salt-bitten.

3) They're getting bonuses to about half the core skill list, you may want to tone that down a bit. Maybe do something similar to the Rogue's Special abilities. Not every pirate should be good at everything piratey.

4) Am I correct in thinking that Hail of Bullets adds a -2 to attack for each attack you make? Unless your firearms go off touch attacks, you may as well make a regular full attack unless your d20s are covered in 20s.

Sophistemon
2008-03-04, 09:10 PM
Changes Made:
* The alignment restriction has been changed to "any non-Lawful" in order to allow the oppertunity for players to be a legally-employed Privateer instead of an illegal Pirate.
* The Code ability has been worded to give players the option of ignoring it when dealing with other members of the Covenant of Thieves or, to the layman, other financially-motivated criminals. This allows for, at the very least, minimal cooperation with those that do not happen to be crew-members so long as they're crooked.
* The Swashbuckler and Gunslinger abilities have been reworded to say that the second attack only occurs when the Pirate is wielding two weapons. The way that it had been worded allowed for confusion on this matter.
* Hail of Bullets has been altered so that the -2 penalty is no longer cumulative.

The Pirate

Alignment

Hit die
1d8

Class Skills
The Pirate’s class skills (and the key ability for each) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).

Class Features

The Code: Pirates are notoriously rebellious and slippery and abhor the rigid rules that landlubbers would impose upon their freedom. The Pirate must never willingly commit an overly lawful act, such as reporting a theft or imprisoning someone for non-violent transgressions. Should the Pirate do any of these things he loses his class features until he performs a highly unlawful act like stealing something of great value or causing a great deal of mischief. The Pirate may choose to disregard The Code when dealing with other members of the Covenant of Thieves.

The Pirate‘s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Pirate flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every three Pirate levels thereafter. Should the Pirate score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Improved Feint (Ex): Pirates are notorious for being cunning and tricky fighters. A Pirate gains Improved Feint as a bonus feat at 1st level even if he does not qualify for the feat.

The Stars are My Guide (Ex): By 4th level, Pirates know the night sky like the back of their hands, and thus add half of their class level to their Survival checks. Additionally, they can see almost as well at night as they can during the day, and gain Low-light Vision. If the Pirate already has Low-light Vision, he can see twice as far as normal under conditions of inferior lighting.

Ahoy Me Hearties! (Ex): By 10th level, the Pirate’s reputation as a ruffian has spread far and wide, earning him the fear, respect, and admiration of the populace. He gains a bonus equal to half his class level on Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate checks.

Swashbuckler (Ex): At 11th level, the Pirate can wield two short swords, daggers or comparable weapons with astounding alacrity, making mince meat out of his enemies with his deadly blades. He may wield two short swords, daggers, or comparable weapons at the same time without penalty; this means that he receives an extra attack with his offhand weapon at his full BAB every round when wielding two short swords, daggers, or similar weapons at the same time.

Scoundrel (Ex): At 14th level, the Pirate becomes a master of all manner of trickery and deceit. He adds his half of his class level to his Bluff, Disguise and Forgery checks.

Gunslinger (Ex): At 15th level, the Pirate can simultaneously wield two guns, pistols or comparable weapons without any penalty to his attack rolls; this means that he receives an extra attack with his offhand weapon at his full BAB every round when wielding two guns, pistols or comparable weapons simultaneously.

“X” Marks the Spot (Ex): At 17th level, once per round, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier, the Pirate may aim one of his attacks at one of his enemies’ vital points, such as the head or the heart; should this attack hit, the affected enemy must pass a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 10 + half the Pirate’s class level (rounded down) + the Pirate’s Dexterity modifier or be instantly slain. Note that creatures immune to critical hits are also immune to this ability. Additionally, the Pirate becomes incredibly skilled at locating treasure and adds half his class level to his Search checks.

Hail of Bullets (Ex): At 18th level, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier, the Pirate may use a full action to riddle his enemies with a deadly hail of bullets when using two guns or pistols simultaneously. The guns must have the ability to shoot multiple rounds. He doubles his number of attacks for the round, but suffers a -2 penalty to each of his attack rolls and also cannot use his “X” Marks the Spot ability during the round he uses this ability. Additionally, as he is wholly engaged in shooting his enemies to bits, he loses his Dexterity bonus to his Armor Class for the entire round.

Master of the Seven Seas (Ex): At 20th level, the Pirate becomes a true king of the waves, even tougher and hardier than ordinary pirates and nearly immune to the dangerous elements found upon even the stormiest of seas. He gains 10 hit points, a +4 enhancement bonus to his Fortitude saves, a +2 natural armor bonus to his Armor Class, electricity resistance 15 and cold resistance 15.

Level Progression

1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|The Code; Sneak Attack +1d6; Improved Feint
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Piracy
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Evasion
4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|The Stars are My Guide; Sneak Attack +2d6
5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Sureshot
10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Ahoy, Me Hearties!; Sneak Attack +4d6
13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Abandon Ship!; Sneak Attack +5d6
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Sneak Attack +6d6
18th|+13/+8+3|+11|+11|+6|Hail of Bullets
19th|+14/+9/+5|+11|+11|+6|Sneak Attack +7d6

Fax Celestis
2008-03-04, 10:39 PM
You might consider giving it full BAB. I know it sounds like an upswing in power, but consider the Ranger, which has full BAB, 6+Int skills, two good saves and a d8 HD. Everything except BAB matches yours.

Sneak Attack is acutally pretty weak, and the slow progression makes it even worse, so coupling that with full BAB shouldn't be an issue.

Text error: Table says Evasion at 3rd, the text says 2nd.

You should clarify that the Survival bonus for The Stars Are My Guide is only for checks made to find a path.

I'd give the pirate the benefit of the Point-Blank Shot feat with the Sureshot ability. Say, "The pirate also gains the benefits of the Point-Blank Shot feat while using firearms. He does not, however, qualify for feats that require Point-Blank Shot as a prerequisite unless he also takes the Point-Blank Shot feat."

I'd change Ambush from "an additional attack" to "may take a full round of actions". Normally you get a single standard in the surprise round; Ambush should probably make it a whole round.

If you win initiative and you surprise your foe, you may make a standard action (either a single attack or a single move; or a partial charge, but that's a special action). The Ambush ability should negate that and make it so that when a Pirate surprises his foe, he can take a full round action.

X Marks the Spot, with once per round, is a bit on the strong side. I'd limit it to Dex mod times per day, and make it usable only when you make a Sneak Attack. Perhaps even make the DC 10 + # of sneak attack dice + Dex mod.

You might want to change the Hail of Bullets ability to something I came up with, to make it more interesting. it's from my Blademistress of Karan PrC, but it might fit.

Cascade: At 9th level, a blademistress can use a smite attack to perform a series of attacks against a single target. As a standard action and by spending a smite attempt, the blademistress can perform a series of blows against her target. The first attack is at the blademistress' base attack bonus. If it connects, she makes another attack at -3. If the second attack connects, she makes a third attack at -6, repeating the series until she misses.

Switch "Smite" for "X Marks the Spot", "blademistress" for "pirate", and call it a day. Just a suggestion. Yours works fine, but this might make it more interesting.

Neftren
2008-03-04, 11:14 PM
This class seems to be focused on two different combat styles at the same time. Perhaps simplify it a bit? I mean, most melee and ranged combinations don't work out too well in my opinion, unless it's a caster using buffs or a Duskblade that channels. Perhaps make a more... simplified attack method. A lot of your stuff looks interesting, but strong (especially Ambush).

Sophistemon
2008-03-05, 12:21 AM
Changes Made:
* The Pirate's Base Attack Bonus has been changed to full.
* The text error concerning Evasion has been fixed.
* The Sureshot ability has been edited to grant the Pirate the benefits of the Point-Blank Shot feat, to illustrate a Pirate's fondness for using ranged weapons in unusually close quarters.
* Ambush has been edited from "an additional attack" to "may take a full round of actions".
* "X" Marks the Spot has been edited. It is now only usable (Dexterity modifier) +1 times per day. "X" Marks the Spot may now only be used in situations that allow the use of a Sneak Attack.
* The Hail of Bullets ability has been removed, and it is replaced by the Cascade ability which, though a bit of a gamble, feels more Pirate-y than Hail of Bullets, at least to me.
* The wording of the Cascade ability has been slightly grammatically reworked.

The Pirate

Alignment

Hit die
1d8

Class Skills

Class Features

The Code: Pirates are notoriously rebellious and slippery and abhor the rigid rules that landlubbers would impose upon their freedom. The Pirate must never willingly commit an overly lawful act, such as reporting a theft or imprisoning someone for non-violent transgressions. Should the Pirate do any of these things he loses his class features until he performs a highly unlawful act like stealing something of great value or causing a great deal of mischief. The Pirate may choose to disregard The Code when dealing with other members of the Covenant of Thieves.

Evasion (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a Pirate can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Pirate is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Pirate does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Sureshot (Ex): At 5th level, the Pirate can wield gunpowder weapons with astounding skill and ease, and receives a +1 bonus to his attack and damage rolls when using gunpowder weapons of any sort (guns, cannons, mortars, etc). The Pirate also gains the benefits of the Point-Blank Shot feat while using firearms. He does not, however, qualify for feats that require Point-Blank Shot as a prerequisite unless he also takes the Point-Blank Shot feat.

Ambush (Ex): Pirates are infamous for fighting dirty, and love to take their opponents by surprise. At 9th level, they gain a +4 bonus to their Initiative rolls, which stacks with all feats, spells and abilities that improve Initiative, and may take a full round of actions when they surprise opponents.

Swashbuckler (Ex): At 11th level, the Pirate can wield two short swords, daggers or comparable weapons with astounding alacrity, making mince meat out of his enemies with his deadly blades. He may wield two short swords, daggers, or comparable weapons at the same time without penalty; this means that he receives an extra attack with his offhand weapon at his full BAB every round when wielding two short swords, daggers, or similar weapons at the same time.

Gunslinger (Ex): At 15th level, the Pirate can simultaneously wield two guns, pistols or comparable weapons without any penalty to his attack rolls; this means that he receives an extra attack with his offhand weapon at his full BAB every round when wielding two guns, pistols or comparable weapons simultaneously.

“X” Marks the Spot (Ex): At 17th level, a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Dexterity modifier, the Pirate may aim one of his attacks at one of his enemies’ vital points, such as the head or the heart; should this attack hit, the affected enemy must pass a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 10 + half the Pirate’s class level (rounded down) + the Pirate’s Dexterity modifier or be instantly slain. Note that creatures immune to critical hits are also immune to this ability, and it may only be used in situations that allow the use of a Sneak Attack. Additionally, the Pirate becomes incredibly skilled at locating treasure and thus adds half his class level to his Search checks.

Cascade (Ex): At 18th level, a Pirate has reached the pinnacle of his combat prowess. He can use an “X” Marks the Spot attempt to perform a series of attacks against a single target. As a standard action and by spending an “X” Marks the Spot attempt, a Pirate can perform a multitude of powerful blows against his target. The first attack is at the Pirate’s base attack bonus and, if it connects, he may make another attack at -3. If the second attack connects, he may make a third attack at -6, continuing the series of strikes until he misses.

Master of the Seven Seas (Ex): At 20th level, the Pirate becomes a true king of the waves, even tougher and hardier than ordinary pirates and nearly immune to the dangerous elements found upon even the stormiest of seas. He gains 10 hit points, a +4 enhancement bonus to his Fortitude saves, a +2 natural armor bonus to his Armor Class, electricity resistance 15 and cold resistance 15.

Level Progression

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|The Code; Sneak Attack +1d6; Improved Feint
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Piracy
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Evasion
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|The Stars are My Guide; Sneak Attack +2d6
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Sureshot
6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|It’s a Pirate’s Life for Me
7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Sneak Attack +3d6
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Take Aim
9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Ambush
10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Ahoy, Me Hearties!; Sneak Attack +4d6
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Swashbuckler
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Swarthy and Salt-bitten