PDA

View Full Version : Scruffy is NOT Belkars Animal Companion

BRC
2008-03-02, 03:22 PM
It is clearly the other way around. You see, scruffy has the Humanoid Companion class feature. Previously he had Shojo, but then Shojo died so he picked up Belkar.

Icewalker
2008-03-02, 03:23 PM
heheheheh Nice theory. I like it. Is there a minimum int requirement for animal companions? Belkar would probably meet it.

TroyXavier
2008-03-02, 05:08 PM
I like it. Makes sense to me.

Chronos
2008-03-02, 06:08 PM
Which is, of course, why cats don't appear on the list of eligible animal companions in the rulebooks.

Collin152
2008-03-02, 07:11 PM
Which is, of course, why cats don't appear on the list of eligible animal companions in the rulebooks.

Cats tend to be weaker than wolves.
It would make little sense to put them on the same list.

Laurentio
2008-03-02, 07:16 PM
It is clearly the other way around. You see, scruffy has the Humanoid Companion class feature. Previously he had Shojo, but then Shojo died so he picked up Belkar.
Uhm... sound fair. So. Scruffy should be of an higher level than Belkar. Probably mostly used to maximize "Contortionism".

Laurentio

dentrag2
2008-03-02, 07:17 PM
that reminds me, before scruffy, who was belkar's animal companion. hes not all that smart, but not that stupid to cut off half of his class bonuses

The Extinguisher
2008-03-02, 07:20 PM
The human compainion is the first ability an epic level aristocat gets.

brian c
2008-03-02, 08:07 PM
heheheheh Nice theory. I like it. Is there a minimum int requirement for animal companions? Belkar would probably meet it.

a bit off-topic, but Belkar has a pretty good Int; he's a clever guy. He just has low Wis and is Chaotic Evil

dentrag2
2008-03-02, 08:13 PM
aww noone likes my question?:roach:

BRC
2008-03-02, 08:14 PM
aww noone likes my question?:roach:

He didn't have an animal companion. And he still dosn't, I thought I made that clear.

Spiky
2008-03-02, 09:34 PM
And that is part of his horribly unoptimized self. For comedy.

SilverClawShift
2008-03-03, 12:04 AM
that reminds me, before scruffy, who was belkar's animal companion. hes not all that smart, but not that stupid to cut off half of his class bonuses

He's a ranger with no WIS and no ranks in Survival. Belkar's actually a creative and intelligent little creep... he just can't see the forest for the trees.

Kish
2008-03-03, 12:37 AM
He isn't? He didn't even remember that rangers were supposed to be able to cast spells.

krossbow
2008-03-03, 02:46 AM
Cats tend to be weaker than wolves.
It would make little sense to put them on the same list.

And yet housecats can slaughter commoners if actions are not taken.

Just think of the horror! If an evil housecat ever gained the sentinence to do so, it could quitely assasinate a village by picking them off, one by one whenever they were alone and then dissapearing into the shadows.

Demonicbunny
2008-03-03, 05:12 AM
He isn't? He didn't even remember that rangers were supposed to be able to cast spells.

It's not like the Rangers spellcasting ability is one of the most attractive features of the class.
Belkar most likely went ranger for the free two weapon fighting feats, Evasion and Favored Enemy (Humanoid, as many humanoid types as possible :belkar:). Why spend points on Wisdom (or charisma) when you can go all out Str/Dex/Con for the ultimate shoeless god of war? :smallbiggrin:

Of course, his will saves aren't exactly the best, so mages specialized in illusion/enchantment might be a problem (which explains his multi-classing into Barbarian), but overall Belkar is very well specced for taking on most types of humanoids.

The Glitter Ninja
2008-03-03, 05:31 AM
Just think of the horror! If an evil housecat ever gained the sentinence to do so, it could quitely assasinate a village by picking them off, one by one whenever they were alone and then dissapearing into the shadows.

You act as though it's rare to find an evil house cat. It's been scientifically proven that 87% of all house cats are evil, with the remaining 13% being merely indifferent.

Bavarian itP
2008-03-03, 06:07 AM
hes not all that smart, but not that stupid to cut off half of his class bonuses

Did you read the comic?

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-03, 07:03 AM
He didn't even know he had Evasion at 1 point, and he seems to have 11 Ranger levels (at least he did at the time of the 2nd Miko ight), so he probably decided to multiclass due to getting all the TF feats he could from the Ranger class.

evileeyore
2008-03-03, 08:08 PM
You act as though it's rare to find an evil house cat. It's been scientifically proven that 87% of all house cats are evil, with the remaining 13% being merely indifferent.Exactly. (http://www.lesscrappy.com/tvpage.asp?ID=142)

Of course, his will saves aren't exactly the best, so mages specialized in illusion/enchantment might be a problem (which explains his multi-classing into Barbarian), but overall Belkar is very well specced for taking on most types of humanoids.Barbarian Rage and Fast Movement explains the multiclassing, Belkar isn't smart enough to realize he is deficient in the Will Save department.

Demonicbunny
2008-03-03, 10:10 PM
Barbarian Rage and Fast Movement explains the multiclassing, Belkar isn't smart enough to realize he is deficient in the Will Save department

He's not very wise, but he could be quite smart.
He probably is, considering his uncanny skill at Craft(Disturbing mental image), which, like all Crafting skills, is INT based.

Amy
2008-03-04, 02:40 AM
Craft Disturbing Mental Image is a feat, not a skill. It's like an item creation feat.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-04, 07:26 AM
Too bad that humanoid companions doesn't gain Wisdom like familiars and special mounts gain Inteligence... :smalltongue:

Doug Lampert
2008-03-04, 02:29 PM

He's a ranger with no WIS and no ranks in Survival. Belkar's actually a creative and intelligent little creep... he just can't see the forest for the trees.

And in any case since when is an animal companion half a RANGER'S class bonuses? Especially a multiclass ranger?

Belkar gets an animal companion equal to that of a druid of level 6 or less (if he's a Rng12/Bbn1 then its that good, if he's say Rng11/Bbn2 then it's worse).

Level 13 is about 12 times as powerful as level 6. And a level 6 Druid's companion is NOT a major feature of his class powers. So he's missing something that would be a relatively MINOR power to someone 7 levels lower than he is....

It isn't a crisis of bad resource management to ignore that feature.

To get to really bad resource management we need to discuss the REST of Belkar's build....