PDA

View Full Version : outing on stardust.

dehro
2008-03-02, 05:35 PM
I just rented and saw the movie Stardust, with Michelle Pfeiffer and De Niro..
I'm pushing 30 and I loved it to bits...:smalleek:

Hazkali
2008-03-02, 06:56 PM
Why :smalleek: ? It's a wonderful film, with some glorious special effects, a plot that is simple but light enough for the film, some great performances, costumes that made me go green with envy (frock coats ftw!) and a soundtrack that is so perfect I put it on a pedestal along with Howard Shore's work on tLotR. I would have been happy for it to be an hour longer, and there are not many films that I would say that to.

So stop the eeking! I would be more concerned if you hadn't liked this film.

RandomLogic
2008-03-02, 07:39 PM
I just rented and saw the movie Stardust, with Michelle Pfeiffer and De Niro..
I'm pushing 30 and I loved it to bits...:smalleek:

Its a new Princess Bride. I liked it a lot. Its not a movie I would admit to many people that I would watch by myself, but with an significant other or something its a very cute movie.

AmberVael
2008-03-02, 07:51 PM
Its a new Princess Bride.

That's exactly what I thought. ^-^

I loved this movie. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it at some point, along with the soundtrack...

North
2008-03-02, 08:05 PM
I think Stardust is amazing not sure if it could be the next Princess Bride though. Its just as good of a story but not as quoteable I think.

AmberVael
2008-03-02, 08:20 PM
I think Stardust is amazing not sure if it could be the next Princess Bride though. Its just as good of a story but not as quoteable I think.

Oh, it's definitely different in a number of regards- but the two are more comparable than any other films I can think of. They've got the same kind of "classic story" feel to them, while at the same time being almost entirely new in creation.

stm177
2008-03-02, 09:06 PM
I liked it.

My 91 year old grandmother liked it too, when she watched the DVD. She's unusual though -- she gets on the internet and does all kinds of email stuff.

The J Pizzel
2008-03-03, 09:49 AM
I have a small theory on Stardust. I'm not sure of the dates, so I'm going off memory. Stardust, if I recall correctly, came out in the midst of Chronicles of Narnia, Bridge to Terabithia, Golden Compass and Mr. Magoriums Wonder Imporium...which are all advertised as blatand childrens movies. Stardust didn't stand a chance against these, which are mainly Walden Media releases. That's why Stardust is so "unknown" to a lot of people.

My "movie partner" cousin brought it over and we watched it. :smallbiggrin:
I was completely awestruck. The story was new, the fantasy land was completely original and Claire Danes was friggin fantastic.

I have since recommended this movie to about 10 people and haven't heard a single complaint.

Highly recommend it.

jP

kamikasei
2008-03-03, 10:04 AM
So stop the eeking! I would be more concerned if you hadn't liked this film.

But everyone knows that fun adventure romps can't possibly be good movies that grown-ups can safely enjoy! It's preposterous!

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-03, 10:57 AM
What I love about this movie is that it prompted me to independently invent the term "Chekhov's Armory" several days before I found out it already existed on TV Tropes.org (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsArmoury).

I was able to figure out every major plot twist by the end of the first act and still had fun watching it all unfold. So, yeah, I'd say it was very well done.

dehro
2008-03-03, 04:48 PM
I've now seen it with the comments of the director... and now I'm depressing about the fact that I can't possibly go and read the book by neil Gaiman, because, his words, they've changed most of the end, and several plot things..and the purist in me screams that I'll find the book so much better and this will cause me to dislike the movie, which I don't want to (makes perfectly sense, in case you wonder :smallmad: )
also I've found out that mayor things in the movie are the product of mere chance, inadequate fundings and incomprehensions during post production (an example? the queen witch her "magic fire" is green not because the director thought it to be nice, but because he's soddin' color-blind!!!!!... how can you possibly shoot a movie when you are colorblind!!!! this should not be! this is wrong! this must... aaaaargh!! it works!!!)

damnit... I give up!

WalkingTarget
2008-03-03, 05:14 PM
Read the book as well (with the original illustrations if you can get your hands on one). Gaiman himself said something to the effect of "they changed stuff that works in a book but doesn't work in a film into stuff that works" (sorry, can't find the applicable blog post just now). The film works as an adventure comedy in the same vein as Princess Bride, but the book is more along the lines of a Fairy Tale in the pre-Tolkien English fantasy mold (see The King of Elfland's Daughter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Elfland%27s_Daughter) by Lord Dunsany for another "modern" example).

Sure the film is different from the book, but they're trying to be different animals to begin with, so it's not so bad (in my opinion).

Midnight Son
2008-03-03, 09:37 PM
I just bought my copy today. Yay!

I've now seen it with the comments of the director... and now I'm depressing about the fact that I can't possibly go and read the book by neil Gaiman, because, his words, they've changed most of the end, and several plot things..and the purist in me screams that I'll find the book so much better and this will cause me to dislike the movie, which I don't want to (makes perfectly sense, in case you wonder :smallmad: )
also I've found out that mayor things in the movie are the product of mere chance, inadequate fundings and incomprehensions during post production (an example? the queen witch her "magic fire" is green not because the director thought it to be nice, but because he's soddin' color-blind!!!!!... how can you possibly shoot a movie when you are colorblind!!!! this should not be! this is wrong! this must... aaaaargh!! it works!!!)

damnit... I give up!Seen it. Read the book. You have nothing to worry about. There are some changes and the book is better, but not so much as to ruin the movie. There was one major difference where I actually thought the movie did better and one where the Movie was lacking, though Gaiman was right in that it just wouldn't have fit in as part of the movie.

WNxHasoroth
2008-03-04, 10:38 AM
It appears the age which is required to be able to like Stardust is the same as the number of beers required.

The movie could have been so much better.

Darken Rahl
2008-03-04, 12:45 PM
The pacing was very rushed, DeNiro is becoming typecast / overrated the older he gets, and the effects were very obvious in places (HD Version)

Otherwise it was good.

Uncle Festy
2008-03-04, 12:55 PM
Read the book, haven't seen the movie. I'd strongly suggest reading the book, as it was very awesome.

dehro
2008-03-04, 01:44 PM
I actually enjoyed De Niro in a pettycoat very much (in a funny way, that is)