PDA

View Full Version : Does belkars care for mr scruffy mean V is wrong??

ssjKammak
2008-03-02, 05:45 PM
Does belkars care for mr scruffy mean V is wrong about Belkars categorization of people into 2 categories.

Sorry if this has been covered before i did a quick search and didn't find anything. The way i see it right now, Belkar is showing genuine care/loyalty for someone other than himself in the cat.

Just wanted to see what anyone else thought

Cheers

Just an aussies 2 cents

Chronos
2008-03-02, 06:05 PM
Vaarsuvius was almost right. There are actually three categories in Belkar's brain: Lust, hatred, and amusement. He finds Elan, Shojo, and Mr. Scruffy amusing, so they get to live.

"...But then I remembered how much I was looking forward to throwing an angry cat in someone's face."

Half-blood
2008-03-02, 06:05 PM
Well, I SEVERELY doubt that belkar is into bestiality. so I'd have to venture a guess that V was wrong.

WarriorTribble
2008-03-02, 06:22 PM
As someone else pointed out in another thread. V is still right cause Scruffy controls Belkar not the other way around :smallsmile: .

Remirach
2008-03-02, 06:27 PM
I think V was proven wrong by Belkar's affection for Elan, long before. Mr. Scruffy blows the idea totally out of the water.

I like Vaarsuvius, but she can be a totally insufferable pompous intellectual ass who thinks she can compartmentalize all human(oid) behavior. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out that neatly. A good portion of the strip itself seems devoted to the idea of pointing out all the flaws of the alignment system -- while also demonstrating that all alignments have their subtleties.

Jayngfet
2008-03-02, 06:39 PM
ok, I have to write this down and take it someplace other than the house of horrors

Mr._Michael
2008-03-02, 06:46 PM
Mr. Scruffy isn't people... he's 'way ABOVE people in Belkar's mind.

Actually, Belkar has shown respect in the past, so V was wrong. Mostly his respect has been for Lord Shojo and Mr. Scruffy... occasionally Roy to his shame.

ssjKammak
2008-03-02, 07:22 PM
I did consider the, rescue Elan because he make me laugh point, so I have to agree with Remirach and Chronos, that belkar also cares abotu anythign that amuses him, similar to skullsy.

Anyway cheers for the thoughts

Khanderas
2008-03-04, 06:37 AM
Cats are not people.
Belkar problebly loves his daggers, but I don't see him taking the daggers out for dinner.

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-03-04, 06:41 AM
I believe that V was completely right at the time. Belkar is changing and V can't assess the situation so that we can know.

GarethC
2008-03-04, 07:03 AM
I think V was proven wrong by Belkar's affection for Elan, long before. Mr. Scruffy blows the idea totally out of the water.

I like Vaarsuvius, but she can be a totally insufferable pompous intellectual ass who thinks she can compartmentalize all human(oid) behavior. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out that neatly. A good portion of the strip itself seems devoted to the idea of pointing out all the flaws of the alignment system -- while also demonstrating that all alignments have their subtleties.

Thanks why Vaarsuvius is funny. So many comedys derive their humor form stupid characters. Just think about Homer Simson. Even when you have a suposdily clever character (i.e. the other characters and the narator say so) often a writer gets lazy and simply has them do a stupid thing to get a laugh.

V is different. He/She is funny because he/she is cleaver. Too clever for his/her own good most of the time and it's funny. I admire Rich Burlew for doing this and I encourage him to keep up the good work!

V's theory about Belkar's mind is far more of a comment on V than it is on Belkar.

-Gareth C

chibibar
2008-03-04, 10:12 AM
V might be the "most intelligent" (well Roy is pretty smart too) but that doesn't make V always right, but it is funny. It is kinda like an old joke on how super smart people thinks they got everything figure out until life throws you a curve ball.

the_tick_rules
2008-03-04, 11:44 AM
Cats are not people.
Belkar problebly loves his daggers, but I don't see him taking the daggers out for dinner.

I could see it.

BisectedBrioche
2008-03-04, 11:47 AM
Mr. Scruffy isn't people... he's 'way ABOVE people in Belkar's mind.

Actually, Belkar has shown respect in the past, so V was wrong. Mostly his respect has been for Lord Shojo and Mr. Scruffy... occasionally Roy to his shame.

...and Durkon. Don't forget Durkon.

batsofchaos
2008-03-04, 12:47 PM
I think V's theory is colored by V's ambiguous gender. I stipulate that Belkar has four reactions; two for each gender. For women: hate and lust. For men: hate and amusement. Belkar's mind took V out of the 'hate' section and didn't know whether to classify V as a woman or a man, and for the most part Belkar usually classifies V as a woman, so into lust V went. V didn't/hasn't recognized this, because V doesn't understand the nature of his/her own ambiguousness.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-03-04, 01:21 PM
Cats are not people.

I think I could reasonably see Belkar taking the daggers out to dinner...although he doesn't seem to have given them names, which would be a sure sign of affection...

And to Belkar, I'd bet Mr. Scruffy is just as much of a person as Roy or Haley. Who says you can't love someone simply because they amuse you? :belkar:

Callista
2008-03-04, 03:40 PM
That's cause Belkar isn't picky about how he kills. Sure, he likes stabbing people, but he'd be willing to strangle them or crush their skulls too.

SlightlyEvil
2008-03-04, 04:56 PM
Vaarsuvius was almost right. There are actually three categories in Belkar's brain: Lust, hatred, and amusement. He finds Elan, Shojo, and Mr. Scruffy amusing, so they get to live.

"...But then I remembered how much I was looking forward to throwing an angry cat in someone's face."

I knew something was wrong with V's assessment, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Well-spotted.

Demonicbunny
2008-03-04, 07:41 PM
...and Durkon. Don't forget Durkon.

Belkar might hate Durkon, but rule no.1 in D&D is that unless you have an endless supply of buff/healing potions you never piss off the cleric.
Especially when you're vulnerable to Holy Smite.

Kekken
2008-03-05, 02:03 AM
Why are people so shocked at the idea of V being wrong?

V is not infallible and not everything V thinks is going to be 100% correct. Especially if tainted by prejudice and bias.

Just because V says it, does not mean it's true.

Yiuel
2008-03-05, 02:16 AM
Why are people so shocked at the idea of V being wrong?

V is not infallible and not everything V thinks is going to be 100% correct. Especially if tainted by prejudice and bias.

Just because V says it, does not mean it's true.

I agree.

Vaarsuvius might be my favorite character (because V's so funny), but V is not omniscient. Look at how V utterly failed the scrying thingy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html), even after working for weeks on it :)

V's theory, to me, is at best childish, at worst, plainly stupid for V's intellectual level. (That doesn't mean Belkar isn't stupid, cause he is :P)

But we still love you, V

:vaarsuvius:

drengnikrafe
2008-03-05, 08:45 PM
I agree.

Vaarsuvius might be my favorite character (because V's so funny), but V is not omniscient. Look at how V utterly failed the scrying thingy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html), even after working for weeks on it :)

V's theory, to me, is at best childish, at worst, plainly stupid for V's intellectual level. (That doesn't mean Belkar isn't stupid, cause he is :P)

But we still love you, V

:vaarsuvius:

I hate to break it to you, but according to Celia's revealation of the Cloister Spell, nothing short of absolutely incredible epic powers could see through that thing. (Sorry about not making it a link, I still have a hard time working those things).

Yiuel
2008-03-05, 09:24 PM
I hate to break it to you, but according to Celia's revealation of the Cloister Spell, nothing short of absolutely incredible epic powers could see through that thing. (Sorry about not making it a link, I still have a hard time working those things).

I know that.

Still, it's more proof that V isn't omniscient (that is, that V knows everything) :)

drengnikrafe
2008-03-05, 10:34 PM
I know that.

Still, it's more proof that V isn't omniscient (that is, that V knows everything) :)

Oh, hey, my secret plan worked. I was trying to figure out what you meant when you said "Omniscient". I knew it's brother word, omnipotent, but I wasn't quite sure as to what that exactly meant.
Thanks for clearing that up. I see your point now.

bluish_wolf
2008-03-05, 10:45 PM
Clearly Belkar lusts after Mr. Scruffy. Because a cat is fine too (NSFW). (http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/9927/acatisfinetoo-cat-doujin-monochrome-ren-that-s_why)

EvilElitest
2008-03-05, 11:01 PM

i think she is trying to hide her true feelings. Yes it is a she
from
EE

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-05, 11:24 PM
Go to the House of Horrors and you will see that it can indeed be lust :smallamused:

Roderick_BR
2008-03-06, 04:06 AM
I commented somewhere once that Belkar's relationship with people have "respect" in the list, since he "liked the old guy that made fun of Roy and made paladins clean the litter box". V's theory is just that,a theory. New things will show up from time to time.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-03-06, 04:44 PM
I know that.

I don't think that anyone, V included, has ever tried to say that V was omniscient, and certainly not omnipotent. It seems pretty silly to bash V on account of something that's never been proposed.

Granted, V's a little (ok a lot) condescending at times, but I think that's just a personality trait, but seriously guys---

V's theory is just that,a theory. New things will show up from time to time.

Grey Watcher
2008-03-07, 12:03 AM
Eh, I always assumed that V's theory was mostly over-analysis on V's part. Let's face it, whether or not V's right that Belkar's mind really is that simple, it certainly isn't that organized.