Pages : [1] 2

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-02, 06:17 PM
Library

Thread Info

IH basic SRD - http://www.cusick.ca-a.googlepages.com/home.html

Myth-Weavers transfer:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/games.php?gameid=2243__**__

This is the second IC thread for the Beyond Myria campaign for Iron Heroes.
OOC http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50104
IC#1 http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48965

Page 1 - Meeting the Thane (Egrek)
Page 2 - Thieves! Cadinoc! Argh!
page 3 - Wendigo in the Mist?
page 4 - Disaster!
page 5 - Shiverbits!
page 6 - The Meat of Misfortune
page 7 - First Night
page 8 -

page 22 - Defending the Tower
page 23 - Mammoth Back Fighting!
page 24 - Meeting Your End / Funeral
page 25 - Escaping Sacrifices
page 26 - Meeting the Warden
page 27 - Plea for Aid
page 28 - Can the Column Wait?
page 29 - Preparing to Leave
page 30 - Healing Jyn
page 31 - Ogres and Gas Are A Bad Combination
page 32 - Wolf in Your Midst
page 33 - Wolf on You Side?
page 34 - Ingvar in the Buff
page 35 - Inside the Mountain
page 36 - Raenis'/Granish's Tale
page 37 - Revelation! Lupin or Wolvun? [Raenis' version of history: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48965&page=37 ]
page 38 - While the Guardian Battles
page 39 - Getting the Sun
page 40 - Bridge Over the Lava Lake
page 41 - Finishing the Lizards
page 42 - Recovering Faillune
page 43 - Discussing Destiny (Inside the Vault)

The Journals
The Lorebook of Raenis Goldsage
((The journal begins with a series of diary entries – these begin with a meeting of the champions and their quest to find the Vendigo. Much of the beginning part is extremely archaic and will take considerable time to translate.
HOWEVER, as the book proceeds Raenis seems to acquire more and more words from languages that you know between you. With you all involved, the last entries are readable. The second half of the book is in the form of notes, with the back pages used for rough jottings))

((Entries are in the order they appear in the book, not necessarily the order in which they were translated.))

---------------------
((Second translation - This section is the first one that is close to the common Myrian language.))

Finally we have them! With the pledge of the people of the Kumsbin Peaks and of Rivermynd Trakand we have our fourth champion and our coterie is forming. Only a few more and we will have champions from all the Peoples, all the races from all the corners of beautiful Myria.
Now we have the leaders and many fertile lands to recruit strong warriors for our army we can begin to muster and train. Our coterie must start this before we can away to do our tasks.

The Kumsbin people are notorious in the mid-East, although many of us in the West had never heard of them. It seems they live their lives almost entirely in the mountains, having suspicions bordering on superstitions about the lowlanders and the flat open plains. They trade when traders come to them, and since their high peaks are so rich in red ores and strong herbs then many are willing to make the journey. They have little use for the prized foods of the farmers but they seem to very much like fruits and oils. Although they spurn the hides of livestock as leather cheap won if they have not killed them in battle, the oils for tanning are very valuable to them.
Whatever we offered them or warned them of or enticed them with glorious battles, none of these things would persuade them to come join us.

It was only the magic that the dvarf showed us that finally persuaded them. The vial was made and we collected blood from every tribe we could find. Near every family we encountered was represented there. Even the Kumsbin people -or Avalanchers as the largest group call themselves- gave willingly, but none would drink because of their superstitions. Niper grew furious, one moment he came to me threatening them, the next he wanted to forget them all. Finally he cursed them and took to his horse, insulting their mothers and their manhoods for cowards. I thought they might cut him down, but one of the oldest warriors stepped forward and said he would drink. I will never forget his words, “You speak to me of courage and your troubles. Yet you never asked what troubles us here. You ask me to drink, yet do not drink yourself. I call you Stranger, not Friend! I should laugh at you and throw you from my mountain. Yet instead, I will drink and if I do not like the taste I will tell you it is bad wine and send you on your way. If it is poison then I will cut you down before I die. You will see Avalanche courage and you will always remember my name. I am Votinel Onyader and my father was Hurralan and his father was Nojamin and his father was Hurraffain and he was descended from Rig who is the Thane of Great All and guides our people.”

And so he drank from the vial of ancestors that the dvarf had shown us how to make. And like us all he had the revelation. He felt the weaves that spin between his People, he felt the heart of everyone close to him, he heard the voice of their concern. He was made jarl of his people for a year and a day for his courage, and a great leader he was. He said he was too old to help us, and so he sent us Rivermynd Trakand who was the greatest warrior that I have ever seen.
----------------

The one I was sent to meet has joined us. The Cadinoc have ‘lent’ us one of their sisters, Gerthwyn Fleetfoot Cadinoc. She is a remarkable person, intelligent and powerful yet at times teasing and brooding. The Wolvun have many ways that are strange to me but I will understand them as any language. I just must not forget that they are very different, no matter how close they appear. She has a remarkable grasp of spirits and again some very different ideas. I try and question her but she seems to find out more about me for every question I ask.

----------------
((Third translation))
We have achieved a victory today, though the price was high. At the Brightwood Dell we put many of our ideas and our hard training to practise. The Ringed Forest people and the Kumsbin fought alongside us for the first time, though the former had more at stake for the battle was on their land and they lost many good people.
Our training has certainly paid off and it served us well for we believe one of the Vendigo was present for a while and still we won through. Again there were many of the hairless ones from the East arrayed against us and they do indeed bear striking resemblance to the Kumsbin, but without any such discipline or focus. Those great savage beasts that come with them I still have no idea of - for they seem mindless – but the Kumsbin treat them not like a horror but like any other foe and that courage strengthened all our men.
We unfurled our banners when their roaring began following our plan. It seemed to puzzle those beasts! Apekatt, I have heard some call them, and they are so simple-minded that the colours and cloths confuse them.
As we believed, the peoples took heart from seeing our huge emblems and symbols of their homelands held high and those for whom it had became a point of pride shouted back in return, joining in with the wild Fanoc Callers who seem to hate them so. The others have begun to see the point as well, the more martial ones see how easily our packs moved when they could see their markers around the field. And for us in command we gained great knowledge simply by how and where they were flown.

We scattered their herds and cut many down but our dead number dozens. Nigh a century of our Peoples fought perhaps twice that of them and we give many thanks for our close victory. The Kumsbin took a great risk in leaving the hillside flank we put them on. We thought to keep them out of the lowlands but they streamed down like diving eagles when they had the chance to fight. Their tactics are unorthodox and glory-seeking but they do watch out for each other.
We found the carrying chair the Vendigo are held up on by their slaves so the incantor must have fled. If left a large book of sorcery behind and Gerthwyn has it though I warned her to be careful. The book may indeed give clues to their magic but anything that calls on infernal spirits is dangerous and we must beware it. It is bound with chains for a reason I am sure.

The forest people are grateful, though we see the pain in their eyes. All the others are hardened to our cause too, so we have gained in more ways than one. Bathoc pointed this out of course, he can be so coldly practical, but I cannot doubt the truth of it.

----------------------
((First translation))
While we have continued to search for her, we can only assume that Gerthwyn is lost to us. Last we spoke, we have agreed that she would not attempt the rite, but she has broken that agreement. We know because she has taken the book again, she must be preparing to create the spawn she wished for. If she births that army we can never be safe. The thought of what she would do to herself sickens me, it cannot be her. She must have been fully taken by the spirit now.

---------------------------------

Since the battle at the Rigthane Spears it seems we have been truly broken. We cannot continue to fight the Vendigo whilst that damned sorceress plagues our flank. I do not believe she cares aught for the sun any more, as long as the moon hangs high she will see it as a victory. She has finally accomplished what nothing else could, the Lupin and Wolvun are come to bloodshed. Many times have I heard reports of skirmishes now.
The dvarf have spoken of intervening. Those strange spirits are noble in their way, but they terrify me. They speak casually of balance as though that could explain their actions. We had asked them if a weapon could be wrought to weaken the moon walkers, but in balance they said they must have one to harm the Lupin as well.
And they went to their forges and did just that. It seems that two of the dvarf were close to ascending and they had to have the weapons ready to contain their souls. They will hold both until one of them is needed.

-----------------------

We returned from the Widow’s Peak with her infernal book. She will come for it, soon, and we must be ready to trap her.

In case that we do not succeed in binding her, those that come after must be given some chance. And so we bind what we have gathered in here, in the armour store of Mettenheim. Gerthwyn’s journal and mine shall go in here, together with the book of chains. The great blades that the dvarf have forged will dwell here too.
In case our peoples weaken and fall, we have the artefact that we hoped might save the Wolvun. With the vial of ancestors interred here, we know that they still have a chance to take the form of their forefathers again. We have collected a droplet of blood from every group of the Peoples that we have met and believe it will work for any of them. If this spirit that Gerthwyn has released manages to affect another one of the Peoples, this should aid them too.

In case our histories are lost, those that come after must know what went before. The loremen have undertaken to gather the knowledge of all the peoples, they will take the best of warriors and sages and learn from them, spreading the learning. They will try and gather all of them in great Tywyn, though the journey will be long and perilous, and they may travel for years, they have sworn themselves to the duty until the death of all their kin.
The first that they took were the Cadinoc, so finally we know that pure Wolvun blood is far to the West, well away from Gerthwyn and what she has become. Let us hope that others of the many tribes join them in days to come, so that all our Peoples may survive.

The Voice of Raenis Goldsage speaks through these pages. Ddetholedig bencampwr chan'r brenin chan'm boblogi. R'n fawr chiwdod chan'r fynydd bant agenna at efell afonydd.
((Chosen champion of the king of my people. The great clan of the mountain valley split by twin rivers = Ffridd Uchaf/Upper Mountain Pasture))

Let all who know me respect these words as my given truth.

((I will add more to this translation as you spend more time on it.))

The second book, supposedly of the Adelmada, Gerthwyn Fleetfoot Cadinoc

((This journal is marked on every alternate page by straight scratches in differing patterns. There is large blank section in the middle. The back pages contain an entirely different set of symbols, many of them analogous to natural phenomena: sun, rivers, trees, mountains, lakes, snow, ice and animals. The moon and stars are used at the start of several pages.
Often, there are sections at the bottom of pages with some very peculiar symbols, these are large blots of ink with no real sense to them, but they seem to crawl across the page, your eyes cannot focus properly on them, they look different every time you blink. They hurt your head when you think about them too much and cause real pain if you try to copy them down or remember them after the book is shut.))

Summary of History known
[1]Wendigo identified as threat somehow.
[2]Raenis begins his journey with his brother Niper/Gniepr from the city of Tywyn (meaning "On the sea")
[3]Along the way they meet with the leaders of many tribes, to ask for their pledge to fight the Wendigo and a champion to be found to represent them.
[4]Also some unknown race or spirits called dvarf aided them with crafting and magic
[5]The coterie of champions is completed by a highlander from the Kumsbin mountains and a Wolvun called Gerthwyn
[6]The army is joined by recruits of all the races and tribes pledged to fight the Wendigo
[7]Gerthwyn conducts some unknown sorcery against an agreement with Raenis
[8]Gerthwyn - now transformed by a demon spirit - seems to interfere in the campaign against the Wendigo somehow
[9]Raenis seems to think that his coterie and army will fail in fighting the Wendigo, so he prepares to stop Gerthwyn (now the Adelmada) to save something of the tribes
[10]The "loremasters" aid him in preserving some artefacts, knowledge and wisdom in case the worst should happen and agree to lead survivors to Tywyn
[11]Raenis traps Adelmada/Gerthwyn's spirit inside his body and sets up the physical/magical/spiritual prison to keep her there.
[12]The Wendigo rite succeeds and the sun loses it's power
[13]It seems that the Adelbrood (the Wolvun spawned of the Adelmada) hunted on the Lupin and other races for some time, before settling into a hunter-raider culture. Breeding with men, the Wolvun blood was seriously diluted and the demon blood suppressed.
[14]Hundreds, possibly thousands of years later, the Adelmada's power is stronger and her Adelbrood of Wolvun awaken and take over the Cadinoc tribes
Maps
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/dignitas/AncientMap.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/dignitas/AncientMap_labelled.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/dignitas/StadsWatersofAll.jpg

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-02, 06:19 PM
Introduction

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2798733&postcount=1

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2816804&postcount=2

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-02, 06:23 PM
Memories

Maps
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/dignitas/AncientMap.jpg

Geography
Kumsbin Peaks - Noj comes from a small but very high mountain range in the middle of Myria. The Avalanche people inhabit this area.

Shatterhorn - Mynas Thyr comes from a muster point for the Cadinoc tribes somewhere in the south-east tundras.

Gniepr's Mill - Ingvar comes from this small hunting community. Founded by Raenis' brother Niper as a Lupin colony, this settlement was once a lot larger than it is now. It has some interesting ruins and unused features such as cobblestone roads.

Ost Fjell - the East Mountains are vast and unexplored. Men are the dominant race here. The many tribes are solitary and individual.

Kirjasto - Jyn is from this river valley where solitary dwellings spot the hillside.

Spears of Rigthane - huge twin mountains on the Journey, south-west of the Kumsbin mountains and north-west of Pinval. An earthquake or avalanche split the Column.
The site of a huge defeat for the old heroes' army against the Wendigo.

Pinval - a warm and fertile valley, hidden amongst the hills and mountains ranges, forgotten by everyone, including the Cadinoc who once raided there. Kept from retreating to ice by the heat of:

Mittelheim - a mountain/volcano where Raenis trapped the Adelmada and imprisoned himself, along with the store of weapons and lore.

Widow's Peak - unknown battle site where Raenis stole the book of chains from Gerthwyn.

Brightwood Dell - unknown battle site where the old heroes had their first success against the Wendigo.

Tywyn - an ancient city and port far to the West where Raenis and Niper began their journey.

Friends or Foes?
Black Shield raiders - attacked in the night by a band of raiders you saw they had much in common with Cadinoc although many changes have occurred after a new leader rose to power. Some of them changed shape to become:

Wolvun - first seen running with packs of black wolves these creatures have arms and hands like men. In the history you have learnt, it seems they are pack creatures who hunt and travel by night. Long ago the bloodline was infected with a demon spirit who changed the line forever. They were cousins to the:

Lupin - a rare and solitary race in the past, they are all but extinct now. The prisoner in the volcano was a seer of their race, perhaps the only survivor. Except that Ingvar shows signs of having their blood.

Adelmada - one of the old coterie of heroes (Gerthwyn)who tried to stop the rites of the Wendigo bargained with demon spirits for power and she was forever changed by it. Now known as the Wolf Mother, she spawned the Wolvun line infected with demon blood and they were called the Adelbrood after their mother.

Cadinoc - the noble family once the leaders of the Wolvun people. They fought a covert war to selectively breed and keep the Wolvun blood pure in their family. Mynas Thyr may well be the last of the pure Cadinoc, though there is no confirmation of that.

The Kumsbin - allies of the old heroes, these highlanders have lived an isolated life, striving for individual glory though they have a strong cultural bond. The major clan alliance call themselves the Avalanche people, only rarely mentioned are other individual clans like the Hanging Tree, the Frozen Fall and Elk Stalkers.

Ringed Forest People - allies of the old heroes, a tribe of lizardfolk/saurians who moved to live within Mittelheim as guardians.

Fanoc Callers - allies of the old heroes, an unknown tribe

Men - Peoples from the East seem to have served the Wendigo sorcerers for many ages, fighting against the Western Peoples. They seem to have been very primitive and may have been more likes slaves, though there are no reports of slave-masters or chains.

Apekatt - huge ogrish beasts like monstrous men, they have some intelligence and maybe cultures.

Mammut - a massive woolly mammoth, legendary and very rare these creatures are extremely prized for their meat, fur and bones.

Dvarf - mysterious creatures -possibly spirits- that come from the mountains or deep in the earth, they seem to have great skill with crafting minerals and pass their souls into their final work when their lives end.
Faillune contains a dvarf soul, as did Vesha's maul until it released the dvarf Brathan into the statue at Mittelhaim.

Shiverbits - ferocious black wolves possibly related to the Wolvun.

Spindleweaves - arctic spiders that hide among rocky outcrops, they lay snares and are well camouflaged.

Trunchkins - arctic gremlins, seldom brave except in packs and when hungry, these tiny white furred creatures are savage animals that fight to the death. Very dangerous at night when they may steal your food or bite your throat for warm blood while you sleep.

Bathoc's People - allies of the old heroes, a society of Men who settled south of Mittelheim, now possibly in league with the Adelbrood.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-02, 06:50 PM
Reserved For Future Info

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-02, 06:51 PM
More Information Posts

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-02, 06:52 PM
The Continuing Saga...

To Be Continued...

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-15, 07:52 PM
Book 1 thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4063752&posted=1#post4063752

Book 2 - Heritage and Honour

Outside the rough mountain tunnel, Noj exhilarates in the sensation of the cold air on his skin after the armpit heat of the cave. He cools his skin with a handful of snow and looks upwards.
The ice-blue sky pales with misty clouds low above his head. The darker storms are moving swiftly away to the south. The small ledge overlooks the East side of the mountain, down into Pinval valley. Some hundred feet below are the cliff tops that edge the field of soft earth and trapped gases where the fierce battle was, not hours earlier.

A pin-prick distracts the higlander's consciousness, and his smile of pleasure falters somewhat as he feels the mental prickling. For a few long moments, the Avalancher stands completely still, save for a single muscle under his right eye twitching.
Several miles to the West one of the life-lines that he feels winks out and the Avalanche travellers started to die.

Abruptly, Noj falls to his knees, and then to his hands and knees, Mynas' waterskin forgotten in the snow. Almost a minute passes before the lithe mountain man springs to his feet and begins an abrupt descent of the cliff-face, abandoning caution for the sake of speed as he scrambles back down to the steam-vents below like a pika.

Skidding down the rocks with awkward haste, Noj finally reaches the ground.

Noj lands on the soft earth underneath the cliffs and takes a few tentative steps to test it.
The flocks of birds have returned to the cliffs, but there is unease in the air, the disquieting sense of being watched as well as scent of dead creatures, but no remains.

Breathing heavily for a moment, then stepping quicker, he sees only one geyser - a much more gentle venting than before, then he leaps up on the rocks of the North face and strides away.

The view is staggering from here, the North face has some gentle steps but for the most part it is steep rock and rubble for several hundred feet. Perhaps five hundred feet below the slope becomes much more gentle and the snowline starts. This gentle slope continues down to the remains of the Wardens Tower and the valley, where there is no sign of the Column.

So Noj slides down the rocks some way before finding a suitable path and sprints off to the West.

----------------------------------------

From within the mountain vault, the tremors of a grumble in the mountain were felt. It shifted like an old man trying to dislodge wind from his breeches, and the faint sounds of shifting rocks and falling dust were signs of real movement.
When a belch a cloud of noxious smoke puffed into the room, coming up from the well at the centre there was sudden action.

Jyn, Vesha, Ingvar and Mynas Thyr coughed at the first taste of the acrid smoke and moved to cover mouths, crouching low beneath the rising gas.

After the initial surprise some beat was heard. A repetitive thumping, it was faint and far off, but hummed through the air of the mountain.
The quick discussion weighed up the threats and actions to secure themselves against any new foes, then Ingvar nodded to Vesha, slinked off to find the source of the noises as stealthily as possible.

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-15, 09:04 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj skids around a corner, the ice slick under his boot as he dashes West. The hammering of his heart in his ears drowned out his thoughts, and for a long time the Avalancher does nothing but run, jigging around rocks and up and down scree in a mindless, nearly desperate sprint.

Minutes pass, and eventually the mountain man jogs to a halt, hands on his knees and breathing hard. He spits into the snow.

I'm a damn fool. A damn fool.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-16, 06:39 PM
The naked hunter holds his thick bear skin behind him as he steps lightly from the stone room. The stairs outside feel rough on his silent feet as he slowly ascends, letting his senses attune and guide him.
The spiral carries him upwards and quickly he faces the open chasm of blackness and the strange wind that alternates hot and chill around him. Over to his left the lake continue to drop globules of thick red lava down into the depths below, where now there is the smallest of faint lights.

The bridge can be seen barely from here, and crouching low to stay close to the central column of the stairs, the hunter can see the bridge move and ripple. It swarms with dozens of swaying heads, a host of lizard-like fiends hum with their eyes closed, shuffling from side to side along to the thrumming beat of hide drums that comes from behind them.

Helfdan
2008-03-16, 10:02 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar carefully makes his way back to the vault.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silent [roll1]

He speaks in a hoarse whisper. "There are dozens of the lizard-demons on the bridge. We must leave this place now."

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-17, 02:11 AM
"I had a feeling this would happen." Thyr places her hands on her hips for a second and looks around taking stock on what can be salvaged. After a quick scan, she heads over to the shard of Faillune and feels to make sure if they are too hot to be handled. She looked painfully at the crate of steel bars, realizing they would have to leave those behind.
"How bad is it, Lupin? If we can, we should probably try and take at least all of the special treasures. The iron arms and armour won't be much use."

((Need to make sure we have all the special items... Jyn as the Scroll, Books, and the Ranseur, Noj to the scimitar, Ingvar took the broadsword... If possible I would like to grab a servicable axe or pick-like weapon in case we get into a fight.))

Grymmheart
2008-03-17, 06:47 AM
Jyn curses along with the others, "we will have to find another way out of the mountain. Maybe with more strength we can return to secure this area. I worry about carrying the Alemada's book from this secure vault. If we fall and her children gain the book, I worry what that may mean. Even if we lock it away, we will be carrying the keys that they could get from us and gain access to the book. DO you think we should destroy it?"

Jyn had picked up a battleaxe from one of the lizard men. Mynas can use. I think Jyn may need to leave some of her gear for Ingvar to carry, or someone stronger. She is at med load already, and if we need speed, she will need to lighten up alot.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-17, 08:55 AM
Mynas takes up the iron axe from the rotten wooden rack to test. It has good weight but the axe head is in poor condition and the haft is corroded. It would be adequate to temporarily attach to Failune, and while the pick’ teeth remain hot they could fit over the end and grip tighter as they cool. A leather wrap around the haft should compensate for the corrosion.
The battleaxe offered by Jyn is a well-made weapon but badly cared for and requires a much different fighting approach than the pick of Thyr’s choice.

Whilst most of the good weapons are taken, and Vesha still holds the leather gourd, most of the tarnished equipment remains untouched.

Left behind in the vault at present are a polished steel buckler and a hauberk of fine scale mail with leggings. Some of the plate and chain armour might be serviceable, with a bit of work to repair it.

I would think that someone has kept the map, Jyn maybe? Jyn definitely needs to check her encumbrance, especially if she’s keeping the battleaxe. The pouch inside the chest was left uninvestigated.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-17, 09:04 AM
Vesha grimaces, looking around. That is the Adelmeda's book? It might reveal how the sun can be freed. We need to know that. We could take the symbols and close this tomb up behind us again, so the lizards can't get in.

Grymmheart
2008-03-17, 09:25 AM
Jyn empties her waterskin and pours the oil into it, before carefully inserting the map and rolling it up to find a place within her pack. She regretfully leaves her morningstar and places her torches and rope on the floor.

"Ingvar or Vesha, could you possibly carry my battleaxe if we need to run fast? I will carry the ransuer and leave my morningstar here. If you think you can carry these torches and rope, please do. I worry they will slow my flight. I would leave my bedroll, but I would hate to die from the weather if we make the run."

Grabbing the journals, she stuffs them in her pack, now that room is available.

Silly question, but I have played where some DMs do not count clothes as part of encumberance/weight. Do you count it? I have cold weather gear listed at 7lbs. It makes sense to count it, but hey why not ask, 7 more lbs free could mean alot.

Helfdan
2008-03-17, 11:47 AM
Ingvar the WOlf

Ingvar takes stock as the team makes preparations. He is already carrying 3 axes, 2 swords, a knife and a bow, a respectable load even for his rangy muscles. He thus shakes his head as he adresses Jyn. "I do have a spare moonwrought axe you can use, lass... What might this be?" He reaches for the untouched pouch to examine its contents.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-17, 06:58 PM
The pouch that Ingvar reaches for is flat and slick, the skin of a seal or other waterproof and well insulated fur.
It is divided into three sections. One contains a large handful of coins, thin as foil the silvers and golds are minted with a hole through the middle; one side is imprinted with weapons and the other with a face. Crude letters underneath spell BATHOC.
The other two sections contains equal parts of preserved herbs. One is pungent and oily like tobacco, the other smells like fresh grass and but is mixed with slivers of red petals.

----------------------------

With lungs burning and the crisp air blowing behind him, the fierce Avalancher kicks his heels up and stretches his stride and he continues his pounding run.

He slips several time on the shingle slope, avoiding falling but setting off a cascade of rocks rolling down the mountainside.

For some ten minutes he keeps up his heroic pace, but despite his determination the sprint has to end. In itself a breakneck run across a rocky mountain slope at over fifteen hundred feet altitude is extraordinary, were anyone there to see it.

Unbeknownst to him a mountain goat looks on, impressed.

The highlander can focus on the battle that rages up ahead though and as he crests a rise he squints into the distance, squatting so the rising morning sun does not silhouette him.

Having run four miles, Noj has come within another two miles of the Column. From high up on his slope he can see the couple of hundred travellers on the plains below.
The Column is to the West, clustered around the mouth of a north-south valley. It seems they are trying to hold the pass against a horde that are almost invisible with their white fur, and are at least as numerous as the men.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/dignitas/Map.jpg

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-17, 10:27 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj stands for a moment on the edge, gazing down at the tableau below. Then, Reaching to his side, he picks up the horn found in the ice cave of the Adelbrood. Raising the silver tip to his lips, Noj takes a deep breath and blows!

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-18, 06:43 AM
The horn is weighty to lift up to his mouth with one hand and the silver tip is cold on his lips, it mists as his breath touches it. Filling his lungs and blowing as hard as he can he strains, unable to make it sound, though it thrums in his hand.
With dizziness shaking his legs, his exhaling finally makes a buzz as the blood rushes to his head. The horn emits a low note and Noj finds he can continue to blow watching the light snow quiver on rocks, the stones themselves shake and the sound strengthens, building up to pound in his ears.

The blast shakes the whole valley, small clumps of snow and rock slides fall from the mountain and the wave of sound resounds far and wide, echoing back and building up on itself.
Not much detail can be seen at this distance, though there is some lull in the battle and it seems the figures stand still for a moment.

Inside the mountain, the drumming dies out and a hundred lizardfolk stop to listen. The mighty summoning is muffled but the deep bass resonates through the huge chamber, powerful and ominous. For some moments the note stands holding their attention and when it slowly fades, quiet hissed whispering begins amongst them.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-18, 08:07 AM
What was that? Vesha's head pricks up when he hears the sound of the horn. He grabs Jyn's axe and the rope and ties them to his belt. Come on, he says, trying to get the golden sun amulet out of the back hole.

Grymmheart
2008-03-18, 08:17 AM
"I have no clue, but I doubt it is good. Yes, let's get going, but what about this other armor? It is servicable and we may need it in the future," ask Jyn as she secures her pack and begins to move out.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-18, 11:42 AM
The Sun symbol comes free with a light tug, as Thyr's has already done.
With one last glance at the symbols carved into the stone you fancy that other images appear in the recess also. (Like staring at clouds and imagining patterns, it depends on how you look a them.)

You gather your treasures bemoaning the loss of valuable things, while your pragmatic nature tells you that survival is more important. If you hadn't learnt that at a young age, you would never have survived so many Winters.

Creeping to the door and crowding around to peer out at the bridge your neck hairs prickle at the sight of so many monstrous devils. They stand formally facing the West end of the bridge (away from you at present) and begin to march in two lines. Halfway down the column a large bronze pole is razed by one of them, draped in thick black and white furs and hung with cast off filmy skins - the scales of reptiles. Next to this standard skitters a wilder devil, frantically gesturing and calling out in a cackle it waves a large bronze mace around its head that makes it's dress of strung-teeth clatter.

The force troops along the bridge heading down the tunnel towards the bottom of the slope, level with the lake.

*Please note in your post which items you (personally) have taken from the vault*

Grymmheart
2008-03-18, 12:07 PM
Jyn follows the others to watch the strange lizard creatures move out. Looking upon the standard, she gapes at the significance of it and wonders if she too could carry such a banner for her companions.

Before leaving Jyn prepared her body for running by taking the Run feat as her wildcard feat.

ransuer with makeshift start at banner
backpack (some food supplies, flint, bedroll)
dagger, bow, no arrows
spare armor (preferably the light one, but does not matter)
waterskin filled with map/oil
two journals and pouch Ingvar found

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-18, 12:42 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj breathes in a great gust of air, replenishing his lungs after the rumbling note. The lanky man raises his fist to the sky, and although it's unlikely anyone hears him, he shouts
"Men o' the Avalanche! Men o' Myria! This land is ours, and we'll claim it back from the ice, b'god, even if we've got to go up to the heavens, batter the sun unconscious, and drag his luminous ass all the way back!"
The irate Noj turns and waves a fist at the massed blot on the snow far below "And you! I'll no stand for ane of my people killed by you slubberin' Wendigo bastards! You hear me?! I kill every last one of ye and sh#t on your corpses, you fundling sons o' Juggerheads!"

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-18, 01:40 PM
"Better we keep things as light as possible. I'll take the axe." Thyr nods to Ingvar and accepts the weapon and then begins loading her pack with what she could deem necessary. Glancing up, she spots Jyn taking the light scale mail. Thyr shrugs and stashes Faillune and a few of the ingots into her pack before shouldering it.

((After hearing the horn blow.))

Thyr curses and lashes the shield onto her arm and slips Ingvar's axe into her belt loop and follows after the rest of the group with a little less quickness than before.

((Thyr takes the Shield, Ingvar's Moon-Forged Axe, the Shards of Faillune, and three steel bars, plus her current supplies. She is now carrying a medium load.))

Helfdan
2008-03-18, 02:41 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar pauses to place a few steel ingots in his pack, then slings the obsidian blade on his back in its makeshift scabbard. "This is our chance to get out. Let us hurry."

As Jyn took the pouch, Ingvar will only take the blade and 4 steel ingots

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-18, 07:26 PM
Creeping slowly out of the room, you push the stone door gently until it catches and holds in place.
Moving up the stairs, you see the last of the army leave the bridge far on the other side (the back ranks look like a wedge of the feebler framed archers.)
The Guardian seems to have retreated once more, so Raenis must have been able to contain the Adelmada again, or she is too weak from the fight to resist further.

The lizard creatures must be leaving by another path, since they do not pass by the stair well.

A strange feeling creeps up on Mynas, like she is touched by a cold finger. But that feeling becomes a sense of a presence somewhere, niggling at the back of her mind.
Straining to perceive it she realises that the demon spirit within Raenis is a small part of it, but more, she has kin several miles to the West, and she can taste the blood of Men in their mouths.

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-18, 10:27 PM
Thyr tightens the leather cord of the Mark of the Moon around her neck. She freezes soon after, suddenly very aware of something. At first it was a feeling of elation but quickly darkened.
"The Black Shields are near." She murmurred.

Helfdan
2008-03-19, 05:27 AM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar narrows his eyes at Thyr's words, but says nothing. He turns to lead the way out of the cave.

Grymmheart
2008-03-19, 08:49 AM
Jyn asks the group as Ingvar begins to move out, "Should we follow behind the host of Lizardmen or more safely depart the way we entered?" I think the way we are familiar with would be wisest."

Ozzy_G
2008-03-19, 09:17 AM
With the doors closed behind him, Vesha stashes the sun amulet within his furs.
Where did they go? he asks. Where are they going? To attack the column? We know nothing of these lizards... his eyes narrow. While they are gone... this is the perfect opportunity to sneak in to where they were. Perhaps the sun is in there. What did the book say? he asks Jyn.

Grymmheart
2008-03-19, 09:48 AM
Jyn replies, "From what I recall, nothing in the translations speak of what is below this mountain. The dvarfs were spoken of as being creatures or spirits from deep within the mountain. I can not imagine the lizard creatures we faced were the dvarfs or decendants of them. Raenis did imply we needed to head deeper into the mountain to free the sun. Maybe this is our chance. But to be trapped down there upon the return of these creatures is frightening. That also ignores the possibility that more of the creatures are waiting below."

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-20, 12:59 AM
"A good opportunity shouldn't be lost, but I think Jyn has a point. We'd be in a bad way if there's no way out when those lizards come. And if we did cut our way through them, we may have to contend with the Blackshields." There was muffled chatter from Thyr's bag.
"Faillune agrees."

Ozzy_G
2008-03-20, 06:46 AM
Well what else should we do? asks Vesha. Go down the mountain and fight all those lizards outside? This is likely to be our only chance. The spirit of this mountain will be with us.

Grymmheart
2008-03-20, 09:12 AM
Jyn replies, "Well if we follow the destiny that I feel the vial of ancestors imparted into us, we should free the sun. We were willing to die to save the people of Primvale from the mountain. Think of how many more will be saved by our freeing the sun."

Helfdan
2008-03-20, 09:54 AM
Ingvar the Wolf

"Let us get Onadare first, an we can find him... I would start by the way we came in. We can always come back down here and explore the other exits."

Ozzy_G
2008-03-21, 05:59 AM
Vesha nods. Yes, we need him, the spirits have decided. Let's go out the front, where we came in, and see if he's there.

Grymmheart
2008-03-21, 07:54 AM
"Let's go then," replies Jyn.

Moves out with the others to the way we came in.

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-21, 10:45 AM
"Let's just hope he wasn't drawn too far away from that noise from before." Thyr mutters as she takes up the rear of the cadre.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-21, 08:08 PM
With soft steps you ascend the stairs, looking about you to make sure that no enemies lurk about still.
The lizards folk seemed to have left entirely and the way out is clear, so lighting torches and stepping more swiftly you proceed back down the rough hewn tunnel.

You leave the gloom and the heat behind you to exit on the Eastern face of the mountainside, on the small ledge above the metal rungs fixed into the cliff face. The cold wind bites into you and an icy rain flicks darts into your skin.

So tightening those furs you had loosen and taking on the water that you can hold you look about. The long descent back down to the valley beckons, some thousand or more feet down the rocky slope.
There is no-one around, except for a flock of birds circling in the wind.

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-21, 10:49 PM
"Cosmos. I knew something was up with the Avalancher. He seemed to be in a mighty hurry to leave when the vial was being passed around." A strange thought popped into Thyr's head, but she didn't speak. Her eyes scanned the ground, looking for something to indicate where the mountain had went.

(([roll0]))

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-21, 11:00 PM
Noj Onadare
Standing on the hill, Noj finds himself in the predicament facing many runaways.
Now what?
The adrenaline of the run wearing off, Noj shifts his weight from foot to foot.
Ach, what the hell. I'm here, and they need help down there.
Noj raises the horn to his lips one more time and sounds it. Then, with a deep breath he draws his newfound sword and begins the descent...

Helfdan
2008-03-22, 12:14 AM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar was squatting down to look for the Avalancher's footprints, when he heard the horn once more...

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-22, 07:21 AM
There's not much to see in the frost-hardened earth of the mountain ledge. The ground is dry and cold and the rungs of the disjointed ladder refrost quickly if warmed by hands.

Some hundred feet below the cliff tops stretch out some way to the North, below that you can see the field of soft earth where the ogres live.

The second horn blast quivers the air, this time more muffled. The flock of circling gulls are driven off a ways, scattering and climbing to gain altitude over any predators.
The note hangs in the air, straining to reach you as it stretches across the mountainside, clinging to the rocks as kit tries to wrap around from the far side.

---------------------

Noj finally exhausts his breath, panting. The second sounding was easier to start but much harder to make a loud noise and the note was not nearly as effective.
Unsheathing his sword, he steps down from the rocks and into the snow, on the long descent down the hillside into the battle.

Some way down it seems the ambushers have taken heed of his announcement. Coming up slowly towards him are a pack of scrabbling little white furred creatures, perhaps a half mile away. They hop and skip together as they caper towards him, but behind them something much larger comes, a hulking dark skinned thing.

Grymmheart
2008-03-22, 08:51 AM
Jyn is about to speak when a second blast from the horn is heard. "I wonder if that is Noj and the horn he picked up. It seems he is not on this side of the mountain in any case. We either follow the lizardmen the other direction and hope they have an exit on the other side of the mountain, try our luck at traversing the mountain to the other side out here, or try our luck deep within th mountain. I would hate to leave Noj on his own, but he did make his own choice to leave us. Grrrr, what to do?" Jyn growls in frustration.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-22, 10:58 AM
We must find Noj, says Vesha. He doesn't seem bothered by the fact that one of his feet is barefoot in the chilling wind. Freeing the sun without him would be much harder.

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-22, 01:26 PM
"Noj probably didn't re-enter the mountain so it may be better if we go there from this side of the mountain. Ingvar may be able to catch his trail in the meantime."

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-22, 05:28 PM
The ledge is shear on all sides and so you have to descend to make further progress. You wrap your hands to climb down the familiar the metal rungs and steel yourselves to hold tightly.
By the thirtieth or so rung your muscles burn and your fingers ache, and the firm ground is welcome. Looking about the cliff tops are quiet, the birds are still in flight and no sign of the ogres appearing again.

In the blustering wind the breeze brings strange new scents to Ingvar and Thyr. Some familiar signs of Noj's boots are noticed by the hunter, and the wind tells you he hasn't passed long before, less than a half hour by any rate.

You face an arduous walk, the loose rock and shingle make the gentle slope treachorous but not impossible, though tiring.

------------------------------

Noj hurtles at break-neck speed down the slope, stepping lightly and carefully to avoid slipping and he ploughs straight into the on-coming wave of spindley creature.
The trunchkins move fast to surround him, some scratching frantically with claws and some waving lumps of hardened wood.

The highlander skim past one, slicing acorss it's neck with a careful blow, the next is neatly hamstrung and rolls gasping in agony in the snow.
Small claws reach for him, and one attachs itself to his back, seeking to latch on with razorsharp teeth, but he spions and throws it from him and runs another through, lifting it by the hilt of his new blade and casting it aside.

He cuts and slashes, keeping his feet moving to avoid being overwhelmed. These creatures will not test him much, they will only slow him.

While they slow him the people below die to the wolves and the great slow beast lumbers up the hill towards him, bloodthirsty and desparate to crush him in it's embrace.

Helfdan
2008-03-23, 10:47 AM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar stops for a second, studying the terrain. He then turns to the others and speaks seriously. "We have need for haste. I need you all to trust me, and my skills. You will follow me single file, stepping exactly where I step. If you do not, you risk falling or staying behind." With that, he takes one more look at the slope and loose rock, and lopes ahead.

If at all possible, Ingvar is trying to treat this as an encounter. i.e. he gets some tokens, then uses them to move normally through difficult terrain. As per the rulebook, if the others follow in his steps and heed his advice, they benefit from this too... the hunter blazes a trail, etc.

Man, but hunters are insufferable know it alls... ;)
For some reason, if this were a movie, I visualize the heroes jogging down the trail to the tune of Aerosmith's "Walk this Way" :smallbiggrin:

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-23, 11:20 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj grimaces as he jinks left and right, tossing the lesser Wendigo in his wake like a true Avalanche coming down the mountain. As he approaches, Noj tries to size up his opponent.
Big. The bigger they are, the harder they are to make fall. But I'll but he's not expecting this...
Noj charges forward at an incredible pace, the downward slope lending him momentum. About fifteen feet away, he plants his feet squarely into the snow and launches himself upwards and forwards! Flying through the air, the Avalancher uses the tremendous momentum to try and send the giant sprawling back down the slope...

Okay, going to use a charge combined with a Skill Challenge on the jump. I figure since I'm charging downhill and I begin the jump 15 feet away, that should make the actual point of impact higher up on the giant.
Anyways, Adding +10 DC to Jumping 15 feet to increase the power of my attempted Trip attack by +5.
[roll0]
Declaring Dodge on the Giant.
AC vs Giant AoO: 21 +8 + 1 + 8 (Mobile defense, 80 feet moved this round)
= 38
AC vs. Giant next round: 30
[roll1] (13 + 8 Mobile Assult +2 charging)
[roll2]

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-23, 11:47 AM
Thyr nods curtly and tigthens the load on her back. Again taking up the rear in order to pace those in the middle. Faillune mumbles something in her pack.
"I'm just suprised you can hear anything in there." She comments to the weapon and starts heading on after the group.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-23, 12:09 PM
Vesha nods. Very well, Ingvar the Wolf. He follows, trying to step exactly where Ingvar steps. The fact that he's stepping through the snow with only one boot doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-23, 08:01 PM
Having spoken, Ingvar bends his head to the trail and places careful, surefooted steps along the loose shale.
Some moments later he finds harder ground and his pace suddenly increases, so he is soon loping ahead of you. He hesitates once, suddenly shifting to one side, and catches you by surprise; after that you learn to be more careful and his abrupt zig-zag steps are followed more easily by you all.

The trail hardens into tightly packed rocks, and rises up towards the wide crest on the North slope. Strange scents take to the wind, and the air smells of musk and sweat and mildewed fur...

---------------------------------------

Noj stamps on one tiny foot and cracks the curved sword's pommel into the creatures temple, then pivots with an up-arcing slash that opens the last trunchkin in a thin line from groin to throat. Spilled entrails and arterial blood leap out from a stack of small corpses around the black slush at his feet, a giant stain on the mountainside's virgin snow.
Scarcely slowing, Onadere's breathes easily and continues his run, only a light sweat breaking his brow.

The bulking monster slogs its way towards him, thick feet shaking the rock its hands swings close to the ground and its shoulder rise up high alongside its huge head. This leaves hardly any neck visible, and creates the impression the creature is as wide as it is tall.
It has some resemblance to a Man, but more to the ogres on the opposite cliff face, and as it mounts a rise, the sun catches it in the face, illuminating in and its nakedness.

Noj's grimace becomes a snarl as he throws himself onwards, his sword whips back and forth to balance his hurtling run over the slippery and unsteady footing. He leaps some fifteen feet from the beast with blade raised to reflect the light towards the monster's eyes, it raises a hand instinctively against the sun.
Noj gathers his feet under him in the air and thrusts his boots out to strike the giant full in the throat; it gasps and splutters and falls away to one side rolling to lay prone. The impact winds Noj in the air and throws him off course, though he lands well and dances up.

The beast gathers its breath and its thick hands under it to rise.
Onwards down the hill, the packs of wolves are well into the rows of defenders at the caravans.

TGS nice challenge, though I would call that move an Overrun rather than a Trip. I know Trip is better for you, but you succeeded at the Overrun anyway.

Helfdan that's fine, you're in an extended encounter where time/speed does matter, using your terrain tokens effectively doubles the speed of the party.

I need to resolve Noj's combat before I can move you both to the same scene. The big group is effectively two minutes behind him after Ingvar's trailbreaking.

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-23, 09:55 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj moves to the side, his blade flickering a waltz of metal around the fallen creature's hide as it climbs to its feet...

+1 dodge token for missed AoO
Assuming an AoO is provoked when the thing gets up:
[roll0] (Same round)
[roll1]

Then, on Noj's turn:
Circling the giant, heedless of AoO provoked (AC 30)
Circling a total of 40 feet for +4 to hit/+4 AC
[roll2]
[roll3]
AC vs Giant: 26

Ozzy_G
2008-03-25, 10:39 AM
Vesha slogs along after Ingvar. He sniffs the air. What is that smell, he says quietly. Smells like some animal...

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-25, 05:59 PM
Noj cuts back and forth, surrounding the giant with cuts as he leaps back and forth, churning up the slurry of snow.
A myriad of cuts bite into it's thick haunches, the leathery skin shows neat lines of razor edged cuts, but not blood yet flows.

As Noj completes the full circle, he catches the trail of tiny blue jagged tendrils he left in his wake. The sparks crackle across the ice in an arc behind him as the beast swipes at him with it's massive hands. One swats just past him and the gust of air throws his hair away from his face. An arm-sized finger grazes his cheek as he leaps away.

Hmm ok, no wounds for Noj. You can roll a few combat rounds in one go if you like, I'd suggest four rounds at a time.

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-25, 06:17 PM
Noj Onadare
Spinning and and scrambling like a razor mosquito around the giant's bulk, Nok takes advantage of some of the giant's stumbling blows and continues to slice and butcher the creature alive!

Start with 2 dodge tokens.
Then, on Noj's turn:
Circling the giant, heedless of AoO provoked (AC 30 +dodge tokens)
Circling a total of 40 feet for +4 to hit/+4 AC
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
using All tokens each round to increase AC vs giant.
AC vs Giant: 26 +dodge Tokens

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-26, 01:08 PM
The giant growls in fury as Noj's blade slashes at him left and right. It's gruesome face turns about him trying to keep track of the highlander and it's fat jowls flap under it's chin.
Once or twice it open it's maw, it's upturned canines drip saliva as it rages about it, seeking to catch the small creature in its grasp and bite it in fury.

The cuts slice it's thick hide to ribbons of leather, but no blood comes yet as Noj comes closer and slashes harder to try to slow the beast down.

Once or twice the brute comes close with an awkward swing but its grasping fingers close too slowly.

Noj continues his work, cutting flesh like hardened leather and making the creature dizzy as it turns and turns trying to catch him...

You're hitting it and wounding it, its DR isn't soaking all of the damage. It will just take quite a few blows to wear it out and get a decent hit on its vitals.
Do four rounds at time, seems to work quite well. You earn 2 dodge tokens/round since it has two attacks and seems to miss quite a lot... :)

Helfdan
2008-03-26, 01:24 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar pondered on the mildewed, bestial scent ahead as he led his companions on the trail. His eyes studied the path ahead carefully yet swiftly. His hillman's stride was swift, but he held back from the sprint his hunter's (or wolfish?) instincts drew him to... for he had no doubt that this chase would end in combat.

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-26, 01:49 PM
Noj Onadare

Actually, since I freely provoke AoO every time I move, the creature should be getting one more attack per round, which translates to an extra Dodge Token per round if he misses.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

And a few confirm Rolls, just in case:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-27, 06:18 AM
The huge misformed man-shape blocks out the sun each time Noj passes it on the downslope side.
It growls with fury and occasionally whimpers in frustration, swinging it's fat arms left and right and seeking the bear hug that will crush the life out of it's tormentor.

Yet Noj ducks one swing and pushes forward. He comes so close to the giant that his hip brushes the creature as he passes and the waft of months-old body odour turns his nostrils. He drags his blade past slicing a long line across the creatures flank, and running the circle still the cut continues around the middle, slicing the skin in a strip like peeling an apple.

The giant roars terribly, it’s cry echoes across the mountain slope and it lunges towards him again, in it’s fury heedlessly throwing it’s whole body forwards and stumbling to it’s knees while Noj skips away, a flick of the scimitar brings a bead of blood to it’s neck.

Overhead an eagle glides across the slope, it's full wingspan many feet and casting a deep shadow on the snow.

-------------------

The breeze whips back and forth, casting powdered snow about in a fine mist, though not yet strong enough to slow the pack or blind them.
Smelling the mildew can only be a sign of wet fur, a dangerous thing for any creature if it can't get warm, and surprising that a predator would allow itself to be so noticeable.

The roar of the angry creatures echoes over the mountain and trembles the sky like a clap of distant thunder.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-27, 08:25 AM
What's that? hisses Vesha. Are their evil spirits out there? We need to find Noj fast...

Grymmheart
2008-03-27, 08:40 AM
"I don't know," replies Jyn,"but it sounds worrisome." She continues on with the group.

Helfdan
2008-03-27, 02:04 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar remains silent, doing his best to speed up the group's journey.

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-27, 02:48 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj snarls savagely, his red hair flying about his head as he darts, weaves and cuts.
"Quit your struggling! If you don't like the pain, then let me cut your throat, you festering jelly-puss."
So saying, the Avalancher continues his grim circuit of razors about the giant, sparing little but a glance for the shadow overhead.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-27, 07:03 PM
On its knees the creature continues to take cuts thick and fast as Noj spins about it, slashing from all angles.
Resisting the urge to hack and pound away as exhaustion and frustration build up, he keeps focussed picking his marks and opening small slices of thick skins with occasional blossoms of dark red blood.

With dizzying speed Noj keep away from the outstretched arms, slicing into a thigh as the giant gets a foot under it. The muscle opens and the gle gives way, the next three blows disable one arm with precise cuts.

The blows are furious and the thing never regains it's feet. One blow to the neck draws a deep inhalation that sounds like a groan and next thing the blow from the other side opens the windpipe completely. Finally the thing collapses on it's front, its arms outstretched towards Noj.

A murky pool of red slush seeps all around the area mixed with soil and snow.

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-28, 10:33 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj spits the thick spit from his mouth onto the creature's cooling corpse. He was tired. More tired than he'd been for a long, long time. But with this creature down, maybe the Avalanche had a good chance. He'd just take...a little...breather...
Noj makes it a few steps away before his legs buckle, and he sits down hard upon the snow. Almost absently, the warrior reaches down and picks up a handful of snow, wiping his face and hands with it. He'd been a fool, running off like that. A damn...fool.
Noj closes his eyes for a moment that turns into minutes...

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-28, 11:33 AM
The circling shadow passes over him one more time before swooping away down the mountainside to the south-west, just out of bow-shot.

The dead creature stares at Noj accusingly, even in death it's thick fingers twitch as though still trying to reach for his neck.

-----

Ingvar leads the group to the top of the north-western ridge. Your legs are burning and the breath is thick and laboured.
So fortunately the warmth has stayed with you and the cold has not yet turned you blue, though the threat is back and the luxury of the hot mountain is receding behind.

Downslope you see the trail of broken snow, til half a mile away the clumps of bodies begin - scattered at first then packed closer together. Finally, two hundred yards further on is a much darker shape that could be figures.

As your eyes are drawn to the battle at bottom of the three mile long slope -and the tiny figures there- movement much closer attracts your attention:
A half mile due south, hugging the rocky rise of the mountain, a number of thin figures emerge heading further south. There movement is familiar as is their strange loping grace. When the banner emerges from the cavern as well you are certain that this is where the lizard army went.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-28, 11:58 AM
By the spirits, hisses Vesha, looking around intently, how are we supposed to find Noj amongst all of these?

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-28, 05:29 PM
"Ingvar should be able to track him down. We just have to make sure we can return to the caverns with few pursuers afterwards." Thyr pulled the silver-wrought axe from her belt, ready for trouble.

Helfdan
2008-03-28, 09:30 PM
Ingvar the Wolf
The tall huntsman nods at Thyr's words, then leads the way down the trail of trodden snow. "Only an Avalanche man runs down such a hillside," he mutters.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-28, 10:12 PM
You move down the slope due West, following the broken snow, Ingvar and Thyr catch the scent of the highlander (the clean sweat of a groomed man along with a new smell, the tinge of ozone) - an occasional boot print confirms the trail.

You keep a careful eye on the scaled horde as their banner progresses to the South and away over a curve in the hillside.

Moving as fast as you dare on the snow and slush you come quickly to the first of a pack of small white-furred imps, the source of the mildew odour. Their gangly limbs protrude at odd angles where they fell to clean cuts and their little gnarled faces stare off blankly, almost innocent in death.

Noj kneels some way ahead of you, within hailing distance, next to the massive fallen form, some fifteen feet in length.

To Thyr, the lifelines stretch invisibly off into the distance, seeming to move South, away from the tiny figures that must be the caravans.

Vesha's eyes are drawn upwards to the departing speck in the sky, something unwholesome about it whispers to him and he senses that some part of it is not from this world at all.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-29, 08:58 AM
Vesha stares up at the sky, a grimace of worry on his face. Some evil spirit, he mutters to himself, before moving towards Noj. Noj, he hisses, trying to make his voice carry to Noj and no further. Noj, we need to get back to the cavern.

Helfdan
2008-03-29, 01:36 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar lopes to Onadare's side, and looks to see what remains of the battle beyond.

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-29, 02:40 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj looks up blearily as Ingvar approaches.
"I'd same something clever...but I'm too damn tired. They're attacking the column; trunchkin and mammoth and some others."

Grymmheart
2008-03-29, 02:49 PM
Jyn realizes she was not present for the kill, but figures it would remain a fine representation of her companions actions. So she proceeds to the beasts side and begins to scalp the creature, while listening to the others.

"I worry about the people below, but can a handful of people truly make a significant difference in such a large battle? Or as suggested would are efforts be better spent in doing something that could save all of our people? A large group of lizard creatures left the mountain, so we can hope that the way is clear to free the sun. What say you?" she ask Noj and the others.

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-30, 01:15 AM
"Recall the results of the battle at the keep. We just about died against the black shield who had far greater numbers that we did. Our presence will matter little at the massacre on the horizon. Better we take advantage of the scales' absence."

Ozzy_G
2008-03-30, 08:25 AM
It is our fate to rescue the sun, says Vesha. I have foreseen it. We will make no difference down there, we have a greater destiny back there. He points back up the mountain.

Grymmheart
2008-03-30, 11:26 AM
"It sounds agreed then. We should make haste with Ingvar blazing the trail again," offers Jyn.

"Noj, do you mind describing what manner of beast this was and did it seem to speak and how did it fight. Oh, how I miss witnessing your battle."

Meanwhile, Jyn runs the bloody scalp through the snow to remove as much blood as possible, before wrapping it to pack away.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-30, 05:20 PM
Crouched on the slope, the wind picks up and cuts into you, your warmth is fading fast and your feet barely able to melt the snow around you. Vesha's bootless toes are numbed and bloodless.

Though the scaled mountain beasts are almost out of sight, they seem to have spread out across the cliffs their banner still waving high. They too must be feeling the frost.

In the distance, far down the slope the skirmish might have ended. Two groups seem much further apart now and their are no sounds from that direction.

While Thyr feels the wolfpack moving southeast around along the steep side, the scents are confusing in the wind. Certainly the taint of blood is carried on the breeze, mixed and of many tribes.
To Noj, the pulse of Avalanche blood is much thinned, those feelings fainter and less hungry to fight. The giant at his feet seeps the last of it's blood and the warmth goes, turning it's skin to crisp frost.

Those wounded below will most likely face the cold alone as their comrades make hard choices, to go and seek shelter without them. While you stand and debate their worth... and yours...

I put this map together, the Y-shape to the South is the lizards banner, the 'paw' is the wolf pack and the caravan is... the remains of the Column. The 'Stars' are the places described in previous posts, first the ridge where you entered, then the dead giant.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/dignitas/Armies_collide.jpg

Helfdan
2008-03-30, 06:24 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

"We head back, then?" Ingvar sighs as he looks down at the battle remnants.

Ozzy_G
2008-03-30, 06:28 PM
Hmmm... Vesha stares intently at the lizards. The cold does not seem to bother him one bit. Are they actually going to go down the hill?

The Great Skenardo
2008-03-30, 07:08 PM
Noj Onadare

"Noj, do you mind describing what manner of beast this was and did it seem to speak and how did it fight. Oh, how I miss witnessing your battle."

Noj sighs and lifts himself to his feet. "Aye, it was a long battle, but this slubbering gobbins couldn't so much as touch me; strong he was, but dumb as a hillock. I flensed him where he stood, and butchered him while he lived. Aye, this sword..." he holds up the scimitar, "It's fine. The finest blade I've ever fought with."
The Avalancher sighs again, and even staggers a little to retain his balance on weary feet.
"My people are moving on down there; I should help them, but I'm tired...so tired I can barely keep m'self up."

Kain_Tempest
2008-03-30, 11:34 PM
Thyr looked to the Horizon, trying to see the fallen Cadinoc.
"I think the scales are headed to attack the Black Shields and what's left of the Column. We'd be throwing away this valuable opportunity if we went to help your kin." Thyr moves forward to Noj and places a hand on his shoulder. "Muster what you have left. If not I'll drag you along, but you will be coming with us, Avalancher." Thyr turns her head, trying to feel the wind on her face. If the scales had emerged this close, there was a tunnel nearby, but they couldn't risk it if they were downwind of the beasts.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-31, 06:36 AM
The wind whips back and forth across the slope, one moment from the West then the next from further North. It catches the odd pocket of loose snow sending up gusts of powder and marking its passage as it dashes itself against the Western face of the mountain.

The scents are broken, coming in packets from the Wolvun and Men of the Column to the West. The scaled horde is hard to detect, close as they are.

Reaching the tunnel where they emerged should be simple enough, but concealing your scents and creeping that close undetected is no mean feat.

By mustering all your guile and cunning it may be possible.

Grymmheart
2008-04-01, 01:10 PM
"Well standing around here is not going to gain us any thing. I say we back track and enter the mountain. We will not lose much time, and should save the risk of alerting the lizardmen. Although to be honest, their dead should have been enough to alert them that someone was present in the mountain, but oh well," says Jyn to her companions.

can't access the map at work, but I believe the "easy" tunnel is not very close and we have not travelled over 15min to reach this spot (maybe 5-10min is my guess, but maybe I am wrong). So unless the tunnel is 1-2 minutes away, why not back track.

Helfdan
2008-04-01, 03:51 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar studies the route to the nearest cave entrance before speaking. "I think we can risk using the lizard-demons' exit. Speed will be our best ally. "

Ingvar will study the terrain to see if there is a path wth at least partial shelter from the wind... the idea being that shelter from the wind may keep them from smelling us.

survival check [roll0]

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-01, 05:27 PM
Ingvar points out a shallow channel in the slopes that could lead you to the mountain, and sheltering in the lee of the face you might make your way along the rocks to find the tunnel.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-01, 08:06 PM
Vesha shakes his head. No, freeing the sun may take a long time, and be very difficult. We will find it difficult to do it if we are fighting off lizard-men from behind. Better to go back the way we came, as Jyn suggests.

Helfdan
2008-04-02, 03:34 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar seems to be about to retort angrily, but then takes a brief breath and speaks calmly. "I disagree, Vesha. It will take us twice as long to return as it did to come down here, as we would be going uphill. I think I may have found a good path for us, with some shelter from the wind." He then smiles. "A man hunts alone for as long as I have, he gets surly and set in his ways. You know my thoughts on this, but I will lead you on whichever path the company chooses."

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-02, 03:36 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj wipes his eyes with his fingertips.
"Well whatever way we go...let's not come the way I came; I'm with Ingvar on this one."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-02, 05:43 PM
Vesha shrugs. I disagree, it is too dangerous to go past the lizards. But you are the master tracker, not I. That is why you are here. If you think we should go that way, then that is the way we shall go.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-02, 05:56 PM
The route Ingvar indicates would be a half mile before you are concealed amongst the rocks, and perhaps another half mile to be fully hidden whatever tunnel is there.
If speed were to be your best hope the march would have to be well timed with the wind, and some luck on your side.

*Everyone needs to make a Balance check to keep your footing (uphill, in snow) and the leader (Ingvar presumably) needs to make a Survival roll as well to lead you. Most modifiers can be allowed (except Endurance)*

Helfdan
2008-04-02, 07:35 PM
Ingvar looks at the others for dissent. Finding none, he leads the way up the treacherous slope.

If there IS dissent, I can edit this post :smallbiggrin:

Balance [roll0]
Survival [roll1]

Man, with three successful synergy rolls, the urvival check goes up to 35!

Grymmheart
2008-04-03, 03:39 PM
Jyn follows closely being Ingvar offering words of encouragement as she notices trail markings and obstacles that may help their travel.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-03, 05:23 PM
Ingvar looks around, taking your slight nods and silence for assent to his path, then he crouches slightly, one foot forward, and tastes the wind.

Suddenly he's off, at almost full sprint and you follow as best you can, staying close too him. The grizzled hunter makes the going tough with his long strides, and his borrowed fur coat flapping behind him, the loose tied belt doing little to disguise his nakedness underneath.
Aside him Noj leaps lightly, keeping abreast and trying to predict his steps. The highlander forms a gentle blue aura about him which drifts off into the air and along the ground in tiny sparks that frazzle where they touch.

Keeping your footing is tough and the broken snow left is as hard to traverse as the fresh layer, several times you loose your footing, struggling to your feet to keep up.
So focussed on your own steps you have little time to look far ahead and Ingvar seems hardly ready to listen to any word you might have.

The trench seems extremely shallow when you enter it, but you trust to your instincts and keep low, straining to keep the pace.
Ingvar crests the top and bolts for the rock face. As he turns to look, Noj is right with him, Jyn not far behind.
Thyr and Vesha slip and struggle up the last part of the bank, your hearts beat hard as you watch - they remain exposed for what seems like an eternity..

Finally the group is settled under a hanging rock. The mountain darkens the ground, ascending straight above you. To the south the line of the rock dips slightly and turns out of sight. Some few hundred yards away you can see the marks and tracks in the snow of strangely shaped feet, almost bird-like.

Down the slope to the south you can see the figures of the scaled horde. A glistened sheen of polished metal lines the back row, perhaps the archers are to the front - they stand on the edge of sheer cliffs after all. The banner clearly visible now is tattered beige and red, the symbol of a yellow-brown tree emblazoned large upon it. Some fantastical tree perhaps, impossibly round and flamboyant unlike the narrow firs you know.

The wind shifts again and Ingvar starts, gesturing frantically to make you bend low. He tenses almost ready to move when it shifts again but then holds back.
Your hearts pound in your mouth and you can see a wild figure energetically dancing up and down the back ranks of the army gesturing southwards though it could turn at any moment and see you...

Ingvar breaks and you force yourselves to follow, several moments of tension and burning lungs passes as you cross the last gap. The cold burns your arms, but the warmth of the run sends sweat down your back, when before you know it you run across a patch of snowless ground, you feet suddenly soaked wet and the earth slushy mud beneath you.

Ducking into the alcove, the black gaping tunnel stands before you, the warm air rips out into a strong breeze melting a cone of snow and allowing green shoots to show on the ground in an area that forms the battleground betwix summer and winter. The exotic heat is lost to the perpetual winter and it shoots skywards, you glance into the blackness and the waves fo heat wash over your faces...

Helfdan
2008-04-03, 07:04 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar grins, his chest still working like a bellows after their recent exertion. "Here we are, then... back in the mountain. Where to now?"

Grymmheart
2008-04-04, 06:50 AM
"Phew, that was an experience," Jyn comments to her companions. "Should we take a moment to allow Ingvar to put on some armor? The ringmail may be too restrictive if he changes again, but I could switch to it and with quick adjustments he could wear my leathers. Otherwise let's move quickly to the lower sections of the mountain and maybe speak to Raenis quickly before descending."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-04, 09:10 AM
We don't know where this path goes yet, says Vesha in a low voice. He sits down to wait so Ingvar can put on his armour.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-04, 03:07 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj thus far has trudged the way in silence. Even in his exhaustion, his worn boots land lightly in the snow, keeping atop the frozen crust. When he reaches the cave, the mountain man releases a shuddering sigh. In the stuffy silence of the cave, he asks "What the hell was in that blood?"

Helfdan
2008-04-04, 05:46 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar grins at Jyn. "Thank you, but I believe I shall do better without armor. I'll have to see about getting some trews, though...."

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-04, 11:53 PM
"Blood... Naturally." Thyr answers in a snide fashion. "But I imagine it was heavily laced with herbs of all kinds. I don't know about any of you, but I strangely didn't feel as much of a reaction as the rest..." She peers out from the cave mouth, taking one last glance to make sure that they weren't being followed.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-05, 08:20 AM
It was the blood of our ancestors, says Vesha getting up and following the others. It gave us their power. The different effect is of course because we have different ancestors.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-05, 06:31 PM
The scaled army continues to disappear over the steep lip of the cliffs, no scouts seem posted behind them and no head seems to turn in your direction.

In the darkness before you the smell of the lizards hangs about, dry and tinged with an alien musk. Your eyes adjust somewhat, enough to see the cave widen slightly inside before the shadowy depth of a thinner tunnel beyond. In the cave are piles of fine discarded skins, like woven silk.

Ingvar and Thyr find their eyes can see further, tracing the line of the cave they see patches of ice on the inside walls that seeps water to the ground as it melts. The tunnel is a tall split in the rock, formed as the mountain shifted. Lines of lizards tracks merge with each other and lead outwards.

Helfdan
2008-04-05, 09:46 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar studies the ice, and turns to the others. "This may be a good place to fill our skins, the water should be clean. "
He then studies the discarded skins. "By the seven dooms... did they shed this?"

Ozzy_G
2008-04-06, 06:55 AM
Vesha peers into the dark cave. I can't see any water, what do you mean? He steps forward a bit, until he sees the ice. Ah, I see. He gets out his waterskin and starts to very slowly fill it up from the dripping ice.

Grymmheart
2008-04-06, 08:36 AM
"I have no clue what shed that ," replies Jyn as the others fill their waterskins. She accepts that she will have to share water from the others, since her skin has the map. Reaching out to probe the skin with the end of her ransuer, she tries to study the item from afar. When comfortable that nothing is hidden under, she grabs a piece to inspect and considers placing a sample in her pack.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-06, 09:15 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj glances sidelong at Jyn as she resumes her collecting.
"All right, now; what the hell are you doing, taking bits off every damn thing we come across?"

Grymmheart
2008-04-06, 03:42 PM
"If it is ok with you, I would like to do right by my ancestors and chronicle my adventures as best I can. This is living proof of the beasts we have faced that not many others can say they have witnessed similarly. And those that disbelieve us, can just look upon the items and know truth."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-06, 04:03 PM
Ah. Vesha nods his head. The skalds shall perhaps sing our saga for many years. The glory of the quest... that may inspire you, but we have more important things to do. He points down the tunnel. There shall be no saga if we spend all our time looking at the discards of strange creatures. If it is glory you wish for, then let us go and release the sun.

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-07, 12:36 AM
"Just don't get too carried away. If my people had scalped everything we had slain, we'd look more ridiculous than brutal. Keep that in mind regarding your trophies." Thry murmurred, inching down the tunnel, her eyes adjusting to the darkness.

Grymmheart
2008-04-07, 02:56 AM
"From what I hear, your people slaughtered other tribes and such. If you catch me making trophies out of the scalps of the People, you can slaughter me. I am only interested in these strange and wonderful creatures," she replies sarcastically. Time is too short to cause further strife amongst her companions, so Jyn shuts her mouth and prepares to continue on.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-07, 07:24 AM
Vesha snorts a guffaw, but quickly stifles it. Does anyone have a torch? It's black as night in there.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-07, 09:16 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj makes a face, and draws forth a short-cut torch: small enough to be wrapped among Noj's other worldly possessions. He lights it, awkwardly.
"This'll do. It's as good as shouting 'we're here' down in this murk, though. Maybe Jyn can get a few spares for her collection, eh?"

Helfdan
2008-04-07, 09:41 AM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar grins at the playful exchange as he stoppers his waterskin, then cautiously leads the way into the tunnel by the flickering torchlight.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-08, 03:03 AM
The torch light does not extend very far as the crevice in the rock is jagged and does not run straight. You are cloaked in shadows and forced to stay close or be left in darkness to feel your way past the awkward twists and turns.

A vertical split of the rock to your left opens after a few hundred feet. This crevice extends upwards to the open sky above in a small patch of white and blue, and from this opening a stream of water descends trickling along the rock wall and down below you into the bowels of the moutain. The splash of water echoes far below.
The longed-for sky above draws Noj's gaze as he contemplates heading deep underground again, and the rock passage onwards seems to descend steeply after this.

*I would like an idea of your marching order, single file*

Ozzy_G
2008-04-08, 07:05 AM
Vesha follows just behind Ingvar, clutching his maul in both hands.

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-08, 09:58 PM
Thyr takes up the rear guard position again, keeping an eye out behind the group, the shield from the armoury on her arm and the silver-wrought axe in her hand.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-08, 10:08 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj walks light-footed just in front of Thyr, the torch in one hand and the marvelous scimitar in the other. Minas, walking behind, can glimpse the occasional blue spark of static electricity crackling along the surface of the white stole the Avalancher wears.

Grymmheart
2008-04-09, 06:31 AM
Jyn takes the central position. She moves cautiously with the others, ranseur firmly in her grasp. She still feels somewhat disappointed with her companions lack of understanding of her actions earlier. From the lore she remembers, it was an honor to carry the banner of your people into battle, being the one to present the visual representation of one's accomplishments upon the field of battle. She wonders at the level of trust and devotion the lizardmen must hold for one another to carry such a banner. Besides the honor people of the column showed the Thane and his shawl, she has rarely seen the People show allegiance to a cause. Then again maybe the People only show reverance to the shawl because it represents their protection, and not the other way around. They are not driven to protect the shawl and all it represents, like those lizardmen she passed most likely are feeling. Although this Adelmada is clearly evil in her plans, maybe she has things right. Maybe they as a people must form a connection to something bigger than themselves and the individual to truly prosper and shine. She thinks it will be difficult to truly defeat this evil until such a course is undertaken.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-09, 06:47 PM
By the wavering orange glow everything seems so much closer, and the narrow confines of the tunnel crowd in about you.
The warmth of the air coming out from below soon dries off your clothing, making leather crisp and it warms your bodies again as though the snows had never bothered you.

Ingvar steps ahead of the torch light, his eyes seeing clearer while they remain focussed in the darkness and he leads a fine pace, slowly only to squeeze through slighter gaps. Then he halts at the edge of a dark precipice. The crevice opened out suddenly in front of him, and across the small gap a wider passage continues. He seems about to bound the gap when, strangely, as the light catches up with him he sees a thin coloured ribbon across the passage on the other sign. A warning perhaps, some kind of marking.

Turning to see your faces behind him, his elliptical yellow eyes shine somewhat and he keep his gaze low, away from the flame.

Thyr feels a twinge around her eyes, like a needle stab in an arm. The pack of abominations that bear her families blood suffer from a flurry of hurts and their lives wink out one by one. The battle outside is taking it's toll on the Adelbrood.

Far off - some miles West on the icy tundra below the mountainside - the faint pulse that Noj feels from the lives of his kin ebbs once. And again for a final time as the wounds of claws and teeth bleed dry and the frost claims Egrek, as alone, far from home and his destination, he dies.

It takes a moment to assess, but Noj's contact with the Avalanchers is now limited to those that remained on the Kumbin Peaks and never embarked on the Journey, well north of here.

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-10, 12:48 AM
Thyr simply locked her jaw, ignoring the sensation. Those that attacked the Column were not of her kind. Not anymore, they were merely monsters. Fortunately, they wouldn't have to fear the return of the lizards for quite some time. Now they just needed to focus on this quest.

Somewhere in Thyr's mind she wanted to regret her actions. She wanted to be free to make her own choices rather than be bound in this swaying tide of destiny. But at the same time, she knew that had she not tried to slay those bandits those few days ago, she would have been buried under ice and snow and left to die. It would have all ended and she would be left in darkness, trapped in these bones for eternity. In some way simply by trying to survive, but staying close to these people she knew...

She knew that through these people she would make peace with her ancestors and maybe, just maybe, she would feel the warmth she feels now in the heart of the mountain, while breathing clean air and seeing the sky above her. She wanted to die in paradise, and it was clear that the Cosmos did not want her to seek it in the west. And then with the warmth of the sun she would seek out the last of her tribe and bring them the Mark of the Moon. She would settle up her debts. She just had to keep moving forward.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-10, 07:00 AM
Knowing nothing of the deaths outside that his companions feel, Vesha leans forward and speaks quietly in Ingvar's ear. What is that? Some form of marking? He looks to the left and right, to see if there are other paths along the side of the precipice.

Helfdan
2008-04-10, 11:30 AM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar replies in low tones. "It seems to be a sort of warning. Have any of you seen its like?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-10, 03:18 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj cries out, stricken by the severing of those ties he hadn't felt until this morning. Staggering, he leans heavily against the cave fall, torch and sword still in his hands. In the flickering light, grubby tears can be seen going down the mountain-man's face, and the sound of quiet sobs fills the narrow tunnel.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-10, 05:58 PM
Noj! Vesha spins round, and crouches down by the Avalanche tribesman, holding him by the shoulders. What is wrong with you?

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-11, 10:30 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj slams the pommel of the scimitar against the stone floor, angrily.
"They're dead, you big blue bastard! Egrek just died alone in the snow, and our whole part of the Column just went with him! While we were up here waving our arses around this mountain, the wendigo went down wiped them all out."
Through the tears that cloud his eyes, he turns to face the shaman. His eyes are those of a man parachuting down over Hell.
"My clan's gone. All my people were in that part of the Column. I should have been there; should have fought by their side. I-"
He freezes, and a horrible, horrible thought occurs to him. He slowly raises the blade to his own throat...

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-11, 01:44 PM
Thyr immediately drops the axe and wraps her arms around Noj's head, putting the shield between him and his throat while her free hand wrenches his head to the side. The motion was violent but not lethal, but her words drip venom and malice of a monster.

((Assuming that the touch would be successful given Noj's state. If not: [roll0].
[roll1] to hold on this round.
[roll2] to pin at next opportunity.
Hopefully this works and considering a scimitar'd be too large to wield in a grapple, this should hopefully stop him from taking his own life.))

"You little ingrate! You coward! You think to bring honour to yourself like this?! You pitiful worm!"

Helfdan
2008-04-11, 01:44 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Heh, I posted at exactly the same instant as Kain... oh, well :)

Ingvar turns suddenly, growling deep in his throat, but sighs in relief at Thyr's quick thinking. He speaks in the low, dangerous tones the others remember from their first conversations. "By the Leviathan's balls, man.... "

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-11, 01:48 PM
((I'm happy for the initial touch and grab to be successful from Thyr without Noj having a defense in the confined space - unless I'm seriously misreading his state of mind/readiness. As for an actual grapple, he can decide to resist that with a roll if he wants.))

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-11, 04:11 PM
Noj Onadare

Noj thrashes about in Minas' grip, the static electricity in his hair shocking slightly.
"Leave me go, damn you! Who said anything about honor?! This is justice I'm doing here! I blew that damn horn! I called the scalemen out onto the snow where my people were fighting! And then I went away, back to this mountain! All just for some stupid, stupid dream of glory! AUUUUGH!"
Noj finally stops trying to escape, and he simply hangs his head as best he can, clamped against Minas' chest.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-11, 04:18 PM
You cannot kill yourself, Noj, says Vesha, matter-of-factly.Your justice shall have to wait until your destiny is done. Now stand up and face your fate like a man, not some snivelling child. Is this how you wish the last of the Avalanche to be remembered, on his knees in the dirt, mewling like a babe? His tone is harsh, his face like stone.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-11, 04:33 PM
Noj Onadare
The slightly muffled reply comes, quiet.
"I'm no' of the Avalanche anymore. Let Egrek be remembered as the last of us that left the Kumsbin; he deserves that much for doing right an' dying the right way. If you bastards won't let me die, I'll not live as an Avalanche no longer."
He grunts and twists his head in Minas' grasp.
"Now Let go of me woman, or I swear by this torch in my hand your hair will burn a brighter red."

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-11, 08:53 PM
Thyr shoves Noj aside and retrieves her axe with a derisive snarl.
"Welcome to the clanless." She mutters.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-11, 09:02 PM
Vesha slowly shakes his head. You can turn your back on your ancestors, but that just puts them where you can't see them.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-11, 09:12 PM
Noj Onadare
The lean mountain-man sets his arms on his knees, and then hoists himself to his feet. Wiping his face on his arm, Noj sets his stubbled jaw.
"Shove it, Vesha."
He lifts the torch a little higher and lowers his head, casting his face into shadow.
"Let's go."

Grymmheart
2008-04-11, 09:33 PM
Jyn is quickly taken aback by the outburst from her companions. before she has a chance to respond to Noj's outburst, she hears the clatter of metal marking Thyr's weapon hitting the stone. She briefly cringes as the voices carry through the rocky tomb. Jyn hopes beyond all hope that the enemy below did not hear their cries, for Noj may get his wish. He will not need to die by his own hand.

out of town till Tuesday evening. Should have sporadic internet access. NOC Jyn if you like. But maybe this will fit with your needed mental break GP.

Helfdan
2008-04-11, 11:50 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

"We'll go, as soon as we figure out what ths warning sign may be." He gestures to the ribbon. For a moment, he seems about to speak his mind to Noj, but then shakes his head an mutters something under his breath, and turns back to the chasm.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-12, 07:43 AM
A ribbon as a marking, a trail marking? But having little experience of tunnels how would a scout know what to look for?

Ingvar's eyes seek across the ground, looking low and high. At the same time, his mind searches for the answer in the lore he's learnt and from hearth talk. The Brachian way was informal, but it taught him the simple signs. How to read another scout's news, how to find a broken trail, how to spot a never-met-friend's warning...

At his feet he finally sees it. Three pebbles, one on top of another, and the third some inces away. The rocks speak loudly to him: "BEWARE PIT", but they don't mention a ribbon.

Helfdan
2008-04-12, 06:07 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

"Jyn!" He calls the lass in a low voice. "Have you ever seen, or heard of a ribbon such as this? Mayhap a sign of some sort? A warning?"

Grymmheart
2008-04-12, 06:58 PM
"I'm sorry, I recall no stories of ribbon and such. This seems an act of someone comfortable with wilderness lore. Usually their thoughts are kept to themselves and not chronicled in stories," replies Jyn.

Helfdan
2008-04-12, 10:13 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

The rangy huntsman chuckles, the irony in Jyn's words not lost upon him. "Very well, then. These rocks here suggest there is a pit ahead... though this small crevice hardly qualifies as one." He takes the torch and takes a closer look across the way.

Search [roll0]
Knowledge: dungeoneering [roll1]

just in case these are of use. I guess Ingvar picked something up after hunting wolven and such through so many caves :)

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-13, 06:36 AM
The tunnel and the crevice seem to be natural rock formations, unlike the passage from the East which was carved. The floor is worn smooth by centuries of erosion and wear. Nothing about it seems unnatural.

The passage on the other side is much wider, but it narrows quickly again.

If this leads back to the lava lake and the prison, as you suspect, you must have come halfway.

Ingvar leads the way across the gap, carefully bounding over onto the flat ledge opposite.
The ribbon stretches across the way as it narrows just enough for two small men abreast. It seems to be a yellow silk simply laid down, and recently too. It would be all too easy for the lines of marching scaled creatures to lose track of where the gap in the path were. There is nothing unusual about the rocks around here and it seems the ribbon only served as a marker for the army that passed by.

The rest of the way leads down at a steep but steady angle, and as you descend the air becomes much hotter. You clothing is totally dry, your weapons lose their oily sheen, your throats and even your eyes dry out. While you have water with you it is hard not to take regular sips.

Some time later the bubbling from the cavern creates as eerie echo around you, and you pass back into the chamber with the boiling liquid lake and the huge black chasm.

You can see the path that leads upto the bridge, on your left. The lake is in front of you, the Guardian no longer stands there. And the island remains dark and in shadows, except for the strange glow from the flowing red bars.

The regular tap of the iron footsteps resounds around the cavern, and the cauldron continues it's work of replenishing the cage.

Helfdan
2008-04-13, 07:51 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

"So... back to the armory?"

Ozzy_G
2008-04-14, 05:37 AM
Vesha looks around, to see if there's any other path that they've missed.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-14, 06:26 AM
Having entered from the West, the curving path up to the bridge continues to your left.
In front of you the path turns to flagstones. Dislodged and dishevelled, these flagstones wind between the two pools of lava and back across towards the spiral staircase.
Further on from there, the path leads into the carved tunnel that exits in the East, where you originally entered.

There does not seem to be any other way.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-14, 08:36 AM
Vesha frowns, looking around. He seems a bit disorientated by the sudden light they've walked into. The tunnel behind us could surely not have contained all those lizard-men while we were in here, could it? Where exactly are we?

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-14, 09:56 AM
((The trip down this tunnel has taken you a half hour or so of twisting passages.
The only place you didn't explore was over the bridge where the creatures you fought came from. After that battle when you were licking your wounds, the Guardian warned you away. You decided to investigate the armoury instead))

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-14, 09:57 AM
Noj Onadare
His flame quenched, Noj shuffles along with the group, torch and sword gripped tightly in his hands. As a rule, he wasn't given much to introspection, but now he had to wonder; had that blood of the ancestors changed him more than he thought? He'd never felt that...really tangible tie to his clansmen before. Now now it was like he was missing arms: an absence that ached.
There wasn't any way to bring them back. All he could do is try and bring the Sun back for those hardy or stubborn few who stayed behind.
Ah, but how'm I going to live with what I've done? Fool is one thing, but this is something else. I've never heard stories of anyone wiping out near all their own clan through being stupid.
He lingers for a moment, gazing at the lava lake below, but a stern glance from Ingvar is enough to make him sigh and return to the situation at hand.
"Maybe they've hidden a door somewhere?"

Ozzy_G
2008-04-16, 12:16 PM
As the group walks into the main cave room, Vesha becomes less disorientated. Ah, we're here! He points over to the cave-prison and the bridge with the pot-creature on. That's where we need to go, where the lizards came from.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-17, 03:20 AM
You've been acclimatised slightly from the journey through the tunnel, but now in the chamber the heat really strikes you. It seems more intense than before, though your trip into the frozen terrain outside has likely made you more sensitive to it.

Stepping carefully up the sloping path to the bridge, you're plunged into darkness again, only the soft orange glow at either end guides you.

Halfway up there's a rustle as you disturb something and a small figure darts out of the tunnel. Outlined briefly at the top, the small shadow skitters across the bridge, a blackened weapon in i's hand and a bow strapped to it's back.

You draw weapons and rush to the mouth, looking out across the bridge, you catch a glimpse of it on the other side. A small scaled creature wrapped in cloth around it's body and head, it's scaled skin a mottled grey and it rushes away around the bend.

Hesistating to crowd out onto the bridge, the heat roars in your faces. The heavy step of the metal feet returns thonk thonk thonk, and the cauldron stamps around the corner towards you.

Grymmheart
2008-04-17, 08:06 AM
Jyn pauses for a second at the sight of the beast. She has been agonizing over possible connections between the Adelmada and these lizard beasts, and can not fathom why the Wolven Demon-mother would seek the alliance of scaled creatures or the opposite. Maybe the Ademada feel like they are gaining an ally that they can double-cross in the future, but what promises could they have offered the scaled-ones to secure their help?

Jyn wonders if fate is the culprit in the presumed alliance. Quite possibly her companion's arrival here could have been an event that put these scaled-ones on guard. And their departure could have just been an act to protect their kind from "all" warm-bloods and not just to destroy her kind for the Ademada. Unfortunately Jyn does not have the time to further ponder this issue within herself or with the group. Hoping that she can make some connection with the small figure, she turns her standard around to avoid presenting the scaled claw, and calls out in the oldest language she knows,

" Merhaba bir tane cesaretle karşıla. Benim adım Jyn ve ben senin thane araştırırım. Sen beni anlar mısın? " she asks in broken Ancient. Calling to the others, she continues " Give me a minute before you act."

[roll0]

Used Turkish translator as Ancient, here is what jyn said Hello brave one. My name is Jyn and I seek your thane. Do you understand me?

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-17, 05:21 PM
The creature disappears around the bend in the path as Jyn calls out. Moments later it's cloth-wrapped head pokes back out to observe you.

Grymmheart
2008-04-17, 06:21 PM
Jyn offers the companions a brief smile before lowering her weapons and stepping ahead. She continues speaking, "Sen beni anlarsan senin başını sars."

Said "Please shake your head if you understand me."

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-18, 04:16 AM
After another moments pause, a clawed hand reaches up to grasp a fistful of cloth tied to it's head. It tugs at it hesitantly, making it's head go back and forth.

Kurdish? or Serbian?

Grymmheart
2008-04-18, 11:07 AM
"Friends, it seems like this creature may understand the ancient language I speak. We may have been preemptive in attacking his kind. Any thoughts on what I should say to him?" Jyn asks the group while smiling at the diminutive creature.

I was looking for an online translator and found something called Babylon. Turkish is one of the listed languages it can translate full sentences into. Some of the other languages had text that was unrecognizable to me(Arabic, etc). Originally looking for a Norse or old germanic translator, but could not find one quickly (and free).

May have internet access tonight and tomorrow while out of town, but definitely back on Sunday. On the road in 2-3 hrs, so no access for at least 6 hrs after that and maybe not until Sunday as said.

Shockingly I am being inducted into my Colleges Hall of Fame for athletes (I was a gymnast). My inductee class also has a 4 time Pro Bowl NFL safety being inducted (makes me feel small since gymastics did not have any real options open for me after college).

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-18, 11:17 AM
Noj Onadare
In the furnace glare of the magma below, Noj snuffs the torch. He peers suspiciously at the scaly creature. Was it the same type of Wendigo that they'd fought earlier? It looked smaller. A lot smaller.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-18, 11:42 AM
It understands, says Vesha in a low voice, but it does not speak. Perhaps it cannot make the words with its lizard tongue.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-18, 12:44 PM
Ingvar and Thyr find little scent of the creatures that live here. The fumes and reak of sulphur covers anything they might have, but even above ground they seemed to have little smell.

Onadere finds the creature physically similar to the creatures he fought here on the bridge before, but size is perhaps a clue to other differences. Smaller and not as strong, this creature scurried unlike the warlike march of the others.
It may be younger, or a different gender, or it may be of another caste to the warriors, much like a wolf pack can have leaders and scavengers. The scavengers are no less dangerous of course.

Helfdan
2008-04-18, 06:48 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar cannot help but smile as he addresses Jyn. "So now what, tamer of demons?"

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-20, 12:39 PM
Noj Onadare
Tightening his grip on his weapon, Noj growls
"See if you can get it to close its eyes and tilt its wee head back, would you?"

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-20, 05:20 PM
"Hold on, perhaps we can use this to our advantage. Maybe it knows where we need to go... Perhaps we can even avoid wasting time killing its kin... Don't know how we can convince it, but think of something." Thyr was never the negotiator during raids, she often left that to Vorryn, but she couldn't help but get the same impression that this one a similar scenario.

Grymmheart
2008-04-21, 10:08 AM
Jyn looks at Noj with barely concealed disgust at his last comment. She wanted help in convincing this creature to assist them, not help in trying to kill the creature quickly. Taking Thyr's words to heart, Jyn thinks briefly then looks back at the scaled beast.

"Benim adım Jyn ve bunlar benim arkadaşlarım. Biz onu tehdit eden soğuktan world salıvermek için buradayız. Biz senin insanlarına izin vermek için umarız ve world özgürce dolaştırmak diğerleri soğuk korkar. Bu aramanın içinde benim sen bize yardım etmeye beceriksizsen konuşabildiğim someone else var mı?"

"It's good to see you understand me. My name is Jyn and these are my friends. We are here to free the world from the cold that threatens it. We hope to allow your people and others to freely roam the world without fear of the bitter cold. Is there someone else I may speak to if you are unable to help us in this quest?"

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-21, 12:27 PM
The grey-skinned lizard rolls its head slightly, moving it from side to side as Jyn shouts across.
It scurries quickly out onto the path, skittering with the sounds of its claws on stone and performs a few quick, jerky movements, as though it were warily checking about it.

In the wider section of the path it dodges to one side as the cauldron passes it, and then stalks off, following it back down the unknown passageway behind.

Helfdan
2008-04-21, 01:21 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar shakes his head. "I guess we follow it, then..."Hand on sword hilt, he follows the creature down the path.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-21, 04:26 PM
Ingvar lopes across the bridge, at a fast stalk. He has to move at a swift jog to get to the wide section being unsure when the cauldron will return and close the path.

At the corner the gaping darkness looms like a waiting maw. Chaotic breezes drift upwards, the cool of the cavernous depths mingling with the strange fumes and heat from the belly of the mountain.

The path widens at the bend, the light from the lava pits casts shadows across the way, so telling the edge of the chasm is difficult.

Up head the darkness glows with an orange heart. The cavern ahead seems to have a furnace or another lake. More scuttling shadows stand across the way up ahead.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-21, 05:11 PM
Vesha runs after Ingvar before the pot-thing returns.

Grymmheart
2008-04-22, 01:07 PM
Jyn moves with her companions. After manuevering past the cauldron, she tries to secure the banner at the end of the ransuer in such a way to hide the 'trophies' mounted upon it. She asks the others, "Do you think we should leave the ringmail armor we procured off the scaly beasts here, before we see more of their kind. It may only serve to anger them."

Upon seeing the other scuttling shadows, she slows her walk and strengthens her grip on her weapon.

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-23, 12:43 PM
Approaching the cavern further on you notice more signs of carved formations in the rocks.
The path shows flagstones again and the arch over the entrance is supported by columns with vertical grooves, these columns are fast with the rock perhaps carved directly from the walls. The arch is some thirty feet above you and supported in the centre by a single keystone, carved with some indistinct image.

You come to a halt at Ingvar's gesture, looking through the entrance to the fire pit beyond. The chamber is vast and high and broken columns surround the rectangle lake in the centre, though it has stone sides as though it were built to hold water

Ingvar indicates the columns again and you see what made him halt.
Standing motionless, swathed in shadows by the columns are a pair of sentries. The mail they wear must be blackened, as are the long pikes they hold perhaps twelve feet long each. The ends waver slightly despite the creatures strength and effort to hold them still.

Shadows moved about unhurried in the chamber beyond. A mass of figures drift back and forth, like ghosts haunting a forsaken village. Though you see signs of more life than that...
One figure drags a sack, another carries a basket on it's head, another bears one young lizard in it's arms, and leads another by it's hand.
And they all go about their work silently.

The grey-mottled scavenger reappears from behind a column. Twenty feet away it's strange eyes carry a hint of purple colour, it's face alien and bestial but somehow feminine now the cloth is removed.
She blinks slowly and turns back to skitter away.

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-23, 04:09 PM
Thyr's eyes pass over the chamber suprised that they lizards would travel through much large tunnels. For some reason, she had believed they would use small tunnels with which to better defend themselves. Perhaps they had adopted the chambers from another civilization before. It would make sense, after all.
"Leave the mail where it is. They were provoked without it, and I doubt wearing it would provoke them further. Just be ready for repisal."
She studies the greyling behaviour for a moment.
"A runt perhaps." She suggests.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-23, 04:46 PM
Or a child. Vesha looks around, uneasily.

Helfdan
2008-04-24, 08:47 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar replies in a low voice. "These must be their non-fighters, other than whatever sentries they left behind... If we cannot speak with them, I know not what we do here... I would hate to have to kill women and children."

Grymmheart
2008-04-24, 09:02 PM
Jyn absorbs the scene in front of her. With all that has happened to her, it still is hard to believe that she is living such a story. With unbriddled conviction, she hands her ranseur to Ingvar before stepping forward with empty hands.

"Hiç korkun yok. Biz yüzey world. Biz o buz gibi kavrayıştan yüzeyi salıveren yardıma ihtiyaç duyarız. Senin yardımına sıcaklık bringer world bularak içte ihtiyaç duyulur. Burada birisi yok mu biz konuşamayız?"

"Have no fear. We are from the surface world. We need help freeing the surface from the frigid grip it is held under. Your help is needed in finding the bringer of warmth to the world. Is there someone here we may speak with?"

While awaiting an answer, she lowers herself to her knees, hoping to present a less threatening figure to the diminutive ones in front of her.

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-24, 09:40 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj mutters to himself.
"They didn't have no problems with killing the women an' children of the column..."

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-24, 10:15 PM
"If they try and stop us then they were not women and children... They'd be soldiers..." She looks at Noj after his muttering. "Petty revenge is a waste of our time, Lost One. To undermine them we'll just take our prize."

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-29, 06:49 AM
The sentries stay immobile, though as you stand there you feel their unblinking eyes upon you.

The wandering folk that move about beyond the opening begin to show a little more curiosity though. Shuffling figures gather around the inside of the large columns, well back from the entrance and forming two small milling crowds.
Inoffensive but somehow agitated or excited, the lizards are small and somewhat frail. Old and young, none of them are in their prime, few of them worthy warriors.

The orange glow from the rectangular fire pool casts it's waving shadows across their backs, and shows the looming shape of a bulky creature that mounts the steps at the edge of the lava.

It raises a tall staff from the top of which hangs a bright green gem that shines clear despite the gloom. The staff is brought down about to knock on the ground when the figure moves abruptly aside.

Behind it the cauldron stands up from the lake, sloshing fire liquid from it's brim and moves down the steps amongst the crowd, scattering figures left and right.

It moves out of the entrance and you have no choice but to step aside as it passes, it's metal steps tapping off behind you.

As you turn back, the figure raps it's staff several more times, the hollow sound echoes around the chamber and the gem swings back and forth. The crowd remains hushed, expecting something and finally the anticapitaion draws you in and you take several steps onwards, stepping between the crowds and finding yourselves quickly before the cloaked figure at the pool.

Only then you notice the hissing. Whether it is breathing or some language you cannot tell, but were it not for that then you could be standing amongst humans, such is their manner. Lepers perhaps for they are all cloaked, or cloth-wrapped, but peasants certainly for they move like a herd - curious but at the same time afraid.
You stand head and shoulders above most of them, and those few that are tall and strong, are very few and stand immobile in the shadows.

The tension among you is palpable. There is some sense of threat among your group as Noj contains himself, waiting for some cue to act. Thyr clears her mind and waits for some external sense of danger.
For Ingvar these are people like any other, and he sees the fungus farms, the worm pits, the trickle of fresh water down the wall. He sees the carefully stacked pieces of shell from the hatchery, and the place where six honoured dead lie.
Jyn's eyes are focussed on the deeper shadows where strange and curious things lurk, statues and symbols of old.
Vesha stands tall and strong, like a pine tree. Without questioning he takes the four steps that lead him up to stand at the side of the rectangular pool.

Kul looks down to the cloaked figure with the gem-hung staff as it removes it's hood and the intelligent turquoise eyes that look back at him from the elder saurian face. Mauve and cyan coloured swirls lap up from it's neck, and it's earholes are bone-pierced a dozen times in ceremony. It's claws are yellow, but long and filed smooth and hung with rings, not as a warrior but as one who could pluck a spirit from the very air, or call one from the ground.

Another rap of the staff upon the ground and the gem brightens to a soft glow. Lifted up and behind, and it sheds it's green across the curved wall behind it.

A drape of hide hangs across between two large statues. The hide is painted with the impossible tree from the banner. This time surrounded by small stars of differing colours. The tree bears a spiral and outside the circle of stars, small rivers flow away from the tree like ancestors from their parents, like life from the tree of creation.

One statue is a lizard, proudly lofting a spear above it in either victory or glorious death. Around it's neck hangs a leather strap, and from this hangs a shape of bronze metal that matches the large tree.
The other a smaller creature, though worked in far more detail. Like a human that is as stout as a tall man, but the height of a small one. It's bearing of a warrior, but it's eyes of a sage, and it's legs are formless from its knees and it blends into the earth. This creature holds it palms upwards, in offering or receiving... or in bearing a weapon that is no longer there.

These people welcome you, there is no doubt. What or why they have lived hear is uncertain, but they act like servants, they move like their lives are a hardship, and they live like they don't really belong here.

The dvarf soul calls to Vesha and asks him for it's body.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 07:46 AM
Vesha steps forward. He bows to the old lizard, then hefts his bronze-shod maul. He puts it in the hands of the small statue.

Helfdan
2008-04-29, 04:01 PM
Ingvar looks on in curiosity as Vesha advances. The feeling of community these creatures have... it reminds him of Gniepr's Mill, and the quiet pride he had felt in protecting it from hunger and raiders...

Kain_Tempest
2008-04-29, 10:18 PM
Thyr remains cool under the press of the other lizards. There was tension to be sure, but there was no need for sudden response to the interest of those around her. This was normal during a raid. This was the normal procession as the villagers gathered around to hear the words of the pack leader...
The though stung her and hurt down to her bones. She wouldn't dare call these people a pack. Much less one that she was not the leader of. She was, after all, the closest to a pack leader the group had, but here she was, following the lead of others.
The wound was salved by the fact that she was riding on the back of destiny at this point. She merely had to carry the burden for as long as it was necessary. But then what should she do after that?
She shook the questions away and focused on the present again as Vesha stepped forward to the dimunitive statue. The lizards and the makers were together here. These did not appear to be invaders but defenders. So they must have attacked in order to stop the cadre under the assumption that they were there to free the Adelmada. It made sense, after all, she must smell similar to an Adelbrood. Mynas shuddered at the thought.
"I don't think they are our enemies so much as they are those who oppose us." Thyr intoned to the group. "Their army is attacking the brood specifically... The Column was just in between."

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-30, 07:09 AM
Vesha’s maul rests neatly in the open hands of the squat statue, and slowly the finely carved fingers move to grip the wooden haft. The bronze maul head glimmers in the orange and green light, seeming to suffuse the rock of the statue with life so that the eyes shine and the shoulders turn.
The head inclines slightly to Vesha and the jaw moves to grate out words, “My thanks son of Kul, it is good to have hands again. The Ringed Forest people thank you also. Welcome to the guardian’s enclave.”
The assembled crowd bow their heads, though it is not clear to whom they bow.

“This shaman here is Oak, named for the old trees. He tells me that the young shaman Pine leads the People’s warriors against the Adelbrood at this very moment. In times of long ago, all your folk were allied with them in battle.” And he slowly indicates those of you that stand some way behind Vesha.
“They may not need you here and now, though it may be that you can again be allies. This time the Men may be with you.” He looks hard at Vesha. “For they are no longer under the sway of the Vendigo, and they have become wise.

You have taken the purpose to free the Sun, and in that I can aid you for the sake of the balance. Your conflict with the Adelbrood is your own, the wars of mortals do not concern dvarf.”

The Great Skenardo
2008-04-30, 07:20 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj had been casting suspicious glances all around, and he nearly drew his sword reflexively as the strange lizardy priests appeared and began their ceremony.
His mouth falls open as the statue speaks (finally in a language he can understand, even!), and he listens with rising wonder.
Ach, was I twice the fool I thought? Aye, it's true there were Wendigo enough down on the plains, but...

Ozzy_G
2008-04-30, 09:50 AM
Vesha doesn't seem particularly shocked by a talking statue, he just listens carefully. What exactly must we do to free the sun?

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-30, 12:29 PM
The stone dvarf remains in it's warriors pose, bracing the large maul in front of it's short frame. It's glimmering eyes look over Vesha's shoulder to include the group.

"The sorcery must be broken or undone, and the rites that bind it in place must be destroyed. You will need to discover how the magics were performed - either from the sorcerors themselves... or from another who has power of that sort.
The former are cursed wanderers with no love of life and no reason to aid you.
The latter are so few that... that the only two I have ever known are bound into the cavern below and will be no help.
If you do not know of a great sage or ancient source of knowledge we will have to find one.

Once you have this knowledge, you can gather the strength to break the sorcery.
The crests of the Peoples are powerful things, linked to the life of the tribes, the wisdom of their ancestors and the hope of their children. You carry two, and a third is within your grasp. If you had four then you would possess the power to summon the aid of the tribes and destroy the rites."

Ozzy_G
2008-04-30, 12:37 PM
What do you mean, that the third is within our grasp? asks Vesha. He still doesn't seem bothered by the fact he's talking to a statue.

Grymmheart
2008-04-30, 12:52 PM
Jyn awaits the stone guardian's answer for Vesha's latest question. Once heard, she says, "We do carry the words of the Adelmada before she fully turned to the darkness. Do you have the knowledge to translate the mysterious words, as they may have information needed in defeating the seals you mention."

Gygaxphobia
2008-04-30, 04:33 PM
Pivoting smoothly at the waist, it's legs still blended with the earth and rock, the stone dvarf looks askance at the hide tapestry towards the other statue and shrugs it's shoulders towards it.

The proud lizard shows teeth and seems to cheer with it's spear raised high. Around its neck, not formed of stone, is a stylised bronze tree hung on a leather cord.

The dvarf look at Jyn as she approaches.

Jyn ... says, "We do carry the words of the Adelmada before she fully turned to the darkness. Do you have the knowledge to translate the mysterious words, as they may have information needed in defeating the seals you mention."

"Tell me the words that you believe are of use. Though I would think anything she spoke today was insensible."

Helfdan
2008-05-01, 04:45 AM
Ingvar stands quietly, pondering on the information imparted by the dvarf.

Grymmheart
2008-05-02, 08:24 AM
Jyn begins to reach into her pack to remove the journal.

"Within this tome are the words I speak of. Unfortunately I can not read what is within it, for it jumbles before mine eyes. Do you have knowledge of this language, or an idea of how I may gain it?" she asks.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-02, 10:10 AM
The statue peers over the journal as Jyn opens the pages for it.

"Those are sorcerous runes, Gerthwyn Cadinoc must have learnt some Vendigo spirit-weaving. The rest of the lettering looks like a design of her own, a code to hide her notes.
I cannot be sure what her source of knowledge was. Perhaps if you can find it, then it can teach us as well. We must be wary of course, you know what happened to her."

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-02, 02:39 PM
Mynas ponders this for a moment.
"Hrm. The she-wolf must have either learned that magic prior to meeting her cadre, or some time within. If we knew where she acquired that information... Perhaps Raenis' journal has some indication of where it is." Mynas offered.

Grymmheart
2008-05-02, 08:37 PM
"It is possible that the tie I felt when we partook the elixir is my link to the far off ancestors of lore. The tomes spoke of a possible cadre of learned people and I feel a certain pull in the direction mentioned. I wonder if we travelled there, If we would be able to gain the knowledge to free the sun and finally defeat the Adelmada," responds Jyn.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-03, 07:41 AM
"It is good that you have drunk of your ancestors blood from the vial. Perhaps you will know much of what Raenis felt when he travelled. In his day, his blood was all around him and much as you feel a connection to the past, he felt it in the present, every Lupin felt like a child of his own flesh. Today I am unsure how much of the People's blood remains. Certainly the blood of Men has come down through the tribes and diluted it.
The Ringed Forest People are one of the few pure bloods left. The Fanoc Callers maybe as well, if anyone of them have survived.

I have not heard you speak much of what you all feel, and who you believe your ancestors where. Perhaps these are secrets you need to keep. But if allies you are, then you must share your strengths. Certainly the Ringed Forest People will offer you their loyalty, if you give them yours.

You have shown me two books, I sensed a third in the vault. It troubles me for Raenis concealed it from me, and now you do as well. Think carefully about the secrets you keep."

Grymmheart
2008-05-04, 08:43 AM
Jyn wears an embarrassed look on her face before reaching in her pack for the chained book. Withdrawing it she responds, "Please forgive me, I was not trying to hide this book from you. We have been unable to open it, so there is no knowledge that I could share with you theat may help in our quest. If you have any notion how to pry the book open, it would be greatly appreciated and then we could discuss the knowledge within."

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-05, 01:13 AM
The statue nods it's head when it sees the third book.
"I warn you because I did not know of it before, Raenis hid it from me. Only when you entered the vault did I know of it.
The magic in that book is dangerous, it is likely that Gerthwyn stole it and read it. That would have given her access to dark spirits, infernal things that lie and cheat those who contact them.

I suspect that one of these spirits undid the Vendigo, and also the Adelmada. Whatever pacts they made gave them false promise and they were betrayed.

My hands are too clumsy in this form. You will have to unlock the book for yourselves."

You made the rolls some time time, with Jyn assisting Noj. You just need to spent a fair few hours unravelling the chains to get inside.

Grymmheart
2008-05-05, 06:41 AM
"Well that is frightening. If by opening the door, you can now sense the book, we must worry that the Adelbrood and others can now sense it and will seek the evil within. Should we just destroy it? Or do you think knowledge within will help in our quest? Jyn asks the statue.

Turning to her companions, she continues "This will be an interesting decision for us. I get the impression that we lack the knowledge to 'free the sun' as we had hoped. If we still desire that goal, we must seek elsewhere for the lore to accomplish the task. I can only presume that the faint ties I feel through consuming the vial of ancestors are links to the Loremasters of old spoken of in the journals we uncovered. They seem far off, but travelling there may offer us insight for our return here to change the face of Myria."

Looking towards the statue and the lizardmen around them, Jyn continues "Do you feel your kind will be safe here in the mountain with the Vendigo and Adelbrood rampaging throughout the area? Is there a way to seal off these areas? They had tried to free the spirit within Raenis earlier, but failed. We can only hope that they will not succeed ever."

can't remember fully- adelmada trapped in raenis, her release was stopped, but i assume it can still happen. we must accept that the town give up lives to feed raenis and the evil spirit within until we have time to stop it all.

not sure direction of jyn's feeling of ties to the others (west maybe).

are this lizrdmen the dvarfs?

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-05, 11:23 AM
"Well that is frightening. If by opening the door, you can now sense the book, we must worry that the Adelbrood and others can now sense it and will seek the evil within. Should we just destroy it? Or do you think knowledge within will help in our quest? Jyn asks the statue.

"It may be that I sensed the book because the Kul shaman brought my soul close enough to it, it may also be Raenis had magically sealed the vault to prevent detection."

Turning to her companions, she continues "This will be an interesting decision for us. I get the impression that we lack the knowledge to 'free the sun' as we had hoped. If we still desire that goal, we must seek elsewhere for the lore to accomplish the task. I can only presume that the faint ties I feel through consuming the vial of ancestors are links to the Loremasters of old spoken of in the journals we uncovered. They seem far off, but travelling there may offer us insight for our return here to change the face of Myria."

"I can try to aid you with some of the sorcery, at least while you learn to protect yourself from it. To fully understand the rite that was completed you will most likely need to know the whole book and visit the sites that were used in its creation.

Looking towards the statue and the lizardmen around them, Jyn continues "Do you feel your kind will be safe here in the mountain with the Vendigo and Adelbrood rampaging throughout the area? Is there a way to seal off these areas? They had tried to free the spirit within Raenis earlier, but failed. We can only hope that they will not succeed ever."

Oak, the shaman, speaks up. Hissing and croaking and expressing itself with jerky arm movements it tells a story, which the dvarf then relates.

"The valley was sealed off for many years, and hid Pinval from the Adelbrood. In recent times they have tried to relocate it, and this place. The Ringed have eliminated their scouts when they could without giving anything away - it seems that with this latest attack they have nearly located us here. The force outside will need to defeat them, and then hunt them down to prevent them from bringing information back to their camp about us."

He looks to Oak and then back across you all, the stone eyes resting on Thyr. "Perhaps you can help them ensure that no survivors escape." he inquires.

can't remember fully- adelmada trapped in raenis, her release was stopped, but i assume it can still happen. we must accept that the town give up lives to feed raenis and the evil spirit within until we have time to stop it all.

not sure direction of jyn's feeling of ties to the others (west maybe).

are this lizrdmen the dvarfs?

1. Sounds about right

2. Jyn has faint ties to individuals in the far West, but also further North-East, back where she came from. Equal numbers in both directions. She also senses much fainter connections to beings nearby, just outside the moutain, though unsure of where.

3. The lizardmen seem to be refered to as the Ringed Forest People in the journals, and by the dvarf. Little is known of the dvarf, except that they are thought to be earth spirits, and forgers of quality metals, especially soulforged weapons that they make on their death beds. Nothing to say they are the same, but nothing explicit to say they are different either.

Grymmheart
2008-05-05, 02:10 PM
"Well if we must know the book, we must first spend the time opening it to reveal what is within its pages. I regret having to say this, but my conscience will not allow me to ignore it. Please translate what I say for my companions."

Reaching to her ransuer, Jyn begins to unfurl the crude banner she had been trying to make. As the lizard flesh becomes visible, she adresses the shaman in Ancient. "I apologize for my actions this day. A fight between our people occured this day, as we both were attempting to protect something dear to us. I am happy we decided to communicate before more bloodshed was spilt among us. Before I realized the honor of your people, I removed part of a fallen warrior's flesh to help signify the trials my comrades and I have triumphed against. As I witnessed a standard bearer among the warriors sent to defeat the Vendigo, I know you understand I was not trying to discredit the soul of the defeated warrior, but honor its strength and recognize the strength we must have to have withstood its anger. Let me know what you would have me do with it, for I want to honor your wishes."

translator expired so straight english

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-05, 05:50 PM
There is some murmuring among the crowd as the banner is unfurled, though it is difficult to be sure of the feelings it contains.

The dvarf hesitates a moment before it responds.
"I will discuss it with them, this is not something I am sure of but telling them is not the worst you could so. Certainly they honour the dead, and will not blame you for the killing.

Would you like to take some time to rest, and take what food they can give you? There is a room which has fresh air and the heat should be more comfortable. You can even sleep if you wish. When the warrior group returns we can discuss all of this further."

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-06, 12:40 AM
Thyr muddles over the dvarfs statement to her. She starts when she hears something and looping the axe slings over her pack and pulls out the two shards of Faillune.

"I kinda feel like I've been left out of a lot of important stuff lately. I mean being stuffed in a bag and having that axe take my place. Honestly... You need to put me a better spot that that. Maybe on your shoulder, or... Huh..." Faillune seems to grasp where he is.
"Well you seem familiar... A dvarf spirit from the looks of it. Heh, looks like there was still some mage in that 'ole bronze maul he found." Faillune chuckles at his little joke. Thyr turns her attention to the dvarf, holding the shards in her hand.
"Although I would relish the opportunity to hunt down more of my fallen kin, I am afraid that I am inadequately armed to handle the undertaking. Especially if I am to take your attention to indicate that this expected of me, earth wright." She showed the shards.
"But my companion, Drinks Beneath the Full Moon-"
"Faillune." The shards chimed.
"Was brought down and I am sure that my hunt will bear little or nothing at all if my companion is unable to fight alongside of me."
"Aww... You do care. As you can see, old soul, we've been doing this for a long time. Down to a fault, and my poor girl here is like a shovegurtt with a broken jaw..."
"Jyn's translations reveal that weapons were made for the blood hunt by the dvarfs. I was wondering if Faillune's presence was the handiwork of your kind."

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-06, 03:59 AM
"Indeed. Faillune was a well respected one of our number, until his passing. As he approached his end, he... strayed from the balance. His final forging was the moon-forged blood crescent, and by doing so he forced my hand to make a sun-crafted weapon in opposition. Something I cannot forgive him for.

His experience with metal was legendary, even amongst us, as was his knowledge of arms and battle. Something addled his mind whilst Raenis wielded him, though I never found out what, I suspect he struck a Vendigo."

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 07:21 AM
Vesha watches and listens carefully, but for now he does not speak.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-06, 12:27 PM
Noj Onadare
A smile, half relieved, half vicious comes to Noj's chapped lips.
"Ah, now we're on firmer ground here; The stories I know are of the Wendigo, not of spirits and weapons. No survivors...Aye, I can return that favor to the Wendigo, an' I'm only too happy to do it! But a bit of rest before..." Noj staggers a little. Ah yes, that was right; He'd sprinted miles and slain a giant today after fighting a group of lizardmen above a lake of fire. Maybe that's why he was so...tired...
The Avalancher catches himself tipping over again.
"Aye, some rest. And then...we hunt!"

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-06, 02:48 PM
"Wait a moment... 'Blood Cresent' was a name given to a legendary member of the blood hunt are you suggesting that Faillune is the weapon wielded by the Reaver?" She looks to Faillune and back at the dvarf.
"This old soul would not know that. After all, what happens in Shatterhorn stays in Shatterhorn, am I right?" Thyr looks at the weapon, not the least bit amused. "So then. You mentioned something about Faillune being clobbered. You kind of made a distinction between two Faillunes. There's my original maker and then there's me. So which got his mind altered, but I can tell you that I am phys- err... Mentally fit as a bull auroch."
"How would striking a wendigo change them, be it weapon or dvarf?"

Helfdan
2008-05-06, 03:23 PM
Ingvar looks on with interest... never did he hink he would witness a conversation between a broken war-pick and a statue.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-07, 01:48 AM
"A weapon of that shape is called a blood crescent, we made very few. Though I cannot tell you what your legends refer too, Failune was given to the Cadinoc to guard - it was their bane after all - so it seems likely that it was this one, or one copied from it."
The stone eyes flicker over the metal shards as Failune speaks, and quickly come back to Thyr.
"There is only one, though his mortal name I will not speak. When we leave our husks, we enter something crafted by our best endeavour, suitable to hold our souls for eternity.
The Vendigo are bound with sorcery. Runic protection and wardings, and some retribution. Or it could be that spirits in their service did this harm. We may never know.

Ingvar looks on with interest... never did he hink he would witness a conversation between a broken war-pick and a statue. Up til about January, I never would have thought so either ;)

Grymmheart
2008-05-08, 08:54 AM
Jyn listens intently to the conversation. She agrees with Noj that rest would be good for her, but it would also give her a chance to communicate with the lizard people and learn more of their history. Oh, the stories she is acruing, her nana would be jealous.

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-08, 03:49 PM
Thyr nods slowly.
"Rest will be wise, and so too will it give me time to try and return Faillune to some semblance of its former self. Would you be able to help with this, earth wright? If not as the maker then as a guide?"
"If I recall, we have some good quality metal with which to remake my body, but we're going to need a forge and someone who know's what they're doing."

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-08, 05:51 PM
Life continues amongst the community dwelling in the caves. You estimate at least as many people are here as in the village in the valley, several hundreds.

The spirit of the dvarf, newly embodied in the statue, has many questions for the lizards too it seems, and you gather from their conversation that this spirit has not been to Mittelheim before. This volcano was legendary to the dvarf of the far East, and he is curious to be here.

The people about are no longer curious and they leave you be as they go about their business, and while the only translator is in discussion.

Oak indicates the group of dead warriors behind a hide curtain and invites Jyn to return their skin and flesh to them before their final rites are performed. Without speaking your language he indicates that he understands Jyn, and many of the words that the other speak as well.

Surprisingly the people's looks and gestures are not complex to understand and they make their invitations well known as the Ringed Forest people offer you some hospitality, though they do not go out of their way to see to your comfort.
A cavern down a short passage to the north-east has cracks that let cool air inside, releasing the sweltering heat of the mountain. The overall effect is refreshing, yet still warm enough to shed layers of fur and be safe.

In here is a pool of water and a large flat rock, to which several bundles of food are brough along with clean furs. The lizards wander in and out with varying armfuls, as though they decided to provide for you and no one instructed them.
Their food consists of roots and fungus from within the caverns. There are also grubs and worms that are most likely very meaty and nutritious, as long as their taste is not questioned.

Despite your best efforts, sleep cannot be avoided and even a short rest turns into a short doze.
Perhaps an hour passes until you hear noises from the main chamber. Metal tools and an avil are assembled alongside the lava lake. A pick has been used to break the soil to half-form a pit and a sack of sand sits nearby. Water is being drawn to be by the anvil, but it is a long process.

Those of you who continue to rest release the immense strain that you have been through in the day. The journey up the mountain since your near death at the Tower. The exhausting heat of the mountain, the shock of the mystical creatures you have seen, and the trauma of so many deaths close to you - it is all much that your minds will consider when they have the freedom to savour the thoughts.

For now you feel safe enough, but some unease that there is much to be decided, and that more is expected of you.

Helfdan
2008-05-08, 09:28 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar smiles gratefully on seeing the pool of water. He comandeers an old cooking vessel and moves a bit away from the others - inwardly laughing as he considers it is now too late for modesty - and washes the scent of blood, sweat, and combat from his body. He washes his furs as well, knowing the heat of the cavern will soon dry them. He then settles down in his bedroll, nodding off to sleep as he thinks about trying to find some leathers or hide, to fashion at least a tunic... these simple tasks allow him to forget he seems to be the last of a race of wolf-men...

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-09, 01:06 PM
Roots and lichen were not foreign to the Cadinoc diet when outlying villages were lean, Mynas has little trouble stomaching those, of course, the worms are a lot less appetizing to consider. Wrapped around the fungi and quickly downed and the taste covered by a gnaw of root, Thyr eats in silence.
She takes some time to study the furs that are pro-offered and determines to mend some of clothes. The armour would have to wait, likely discarded and exchanged for some ring mail.
She watches silently as Ingvar collects water and departs from the group to wash. Thyr agreed that she smelled bad too, but just like Ingvar she was more for modesty among the cadre. She turned back to her inspection of a fur while resting her back against the cave wall. Eventually sleep overtook her, the fur becoming a blanket in her lap.
She entered a dreamless sleep, one without Iron Mongers, Cadinoc, nor monsters.
"Psst! Thyr, prick'n sound." Faillune hissed. The raider tongue caused Thyr to jolt awake, her eyes snapping open and scanning the room. Faillune mumbled something from within Thyr's pack. Carefully she pulled it open. Unfazed, the weapon whispered, "You hear that?" Thyr cocked her head and heard the commotion outside. Throwing the blanket back into the pile, she got up and carried Faillune with her to the source of the sound.
She sticks to one wall as she enters the main chamber and watches with quiet interest as the lizards prepared the smithy. She felt like a child again, watching with the same silent attention that she gave her mother and the other Wyrds as they wound their charms, spoke their mantras, and brothed various concoctions. Mynas leaned against the wall and quietly watched and remembered.

Grymmheart
2008-05-11, 11:20 AM
Jyn begins to let the exhaustion take hold of her. It has been a difficult day with much fighting and running. And now the discovery of a new race of friendly people, she is overwhelmed. Although her body has taken its toll, her mind continues to run as fast as the long-legged winter deer.

After cleaning as best she can, and donning the light-weight ringmail, she looks in search of the shaman. She wants to talk to him and the statue about the history behind the standard bearers, and how the one she saw with the lizard warriors came to be. She would love their assistance in helping her device a banner worthy of a bearer and of her companions.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-12, 04:49 AM
Jyn sways with exhaustion as she forces her feet to take her back to the large chamber. The shaman speaks with the dvarf, surrounded by other workers and she sits down to wait. Her thoughts ramble on but her body soon carries her away to sleep.

Thyr emerges some time later and watches as the cavern folk go about their lives.
Each of them part of a small pocket dedicted to certain tasks, such as growing and farming the underground foods (watering mushrooms and worms), looking after the hatchery (turning the eggs so they get evenly heated), sewing and mending.
Strange how easily she could see the people of Pinval below echoed in their work patterns. Save the sunlight, and the grass, and the fact that these folk are more akin to reptiles...

And of course, Pinval had no warriors to speak of. They were farmers, prey to be plundered. The Ringed Forest people had moved to this foreign terrain to protect the things their ancestors had fought for. And now they had raised their baner again and marched to war. Against Thyr's own people.

One worker turns the tongs in the super-heated lava pool with thick hide gloves. To her right, the shaman Oak takes the bronze tree and leaves the chamber with several of his people, they pass the pillars and cross the bridge. As they move off, Thyr notices Jyn slumped asleep against a wall.

The anvil and tools laid out, a pit dug and filled with sand, several large hide containers water and a pair of thick gloves. Faillune becomes more and more expectant, then the shaman's group returns with several steel bars from the vault below.

---------------------------------

It's been several hours and Thyr has been hard at work. The steel is tough and unresponsive at first. The heat is intense, making it hard to find the right malleability and to choose the best combination of airing and steaming. Thyr is hot and sweaty with a smiths red glow about her skin. The statue remains still, eyes closed and the folk of the caverns keep away, going about their business in silence.
Two ingots of steel are finally entwined together, wrapped into a single long bar and buried in the thick dark soil to cool.
Thyr finally sits to mop her brow and cool herself with ice water from a side chamber that trickles from the snow above.

--------------------

Activity awakens the peaceful sleepers. A strange musky odour is around as foreign bodies move about the resting chamber, setting out hides and taking turns at the water pool.
Vesha, Noj and Ingvar find themselves surrounded by burly lizards removing armour and disrobing. A small passage to one side is used to treat a dozen wounded while the others seem to prepare to rest.

Bleary eyed but instantly aware, the three men are ignored and looking through the mass of bodies they see the shaman and the standard bearer leave the cavern again.

Standing above them a particularly tall and erect creature looks down with soft green alien eyes past a rag covered face. It bends closer and you sense a smile form under the covering, a hand reaches out to beckon you which is surprisingly delicate, pink, and fleshy.
"You are awake. Perhaps you would join us?" the feminine voice is melifluous and soothing. She steps back a pace, and you see the small lavender-eyed lizard hanging close to her. The two invite you to stand and lead you from the chamber.

Thyr and Jyn find themselves awoken gently and led behind, up carved stone steps to an alcove that overhangs, and looks down on, the pool in the main chamber.

Water is brought in rough pottery jugs and placed on smooth stone tablets. You sit about as a group and Oak is brought to join you.
The tall woman removes her face scarf to reveal a human face set with green saurian eyes, sharp featured and not ugly but perhaps too unhuman to be handsome. She smiles with thin lips and the gesture pulls her nose into an unintended sneer.
"We turned back the raiders and returned to find you. Oak has spoken of you a little and I have told him of the battle. Now perhaps we can share what we know together. You can call me Yelissur. We will treat like strangers, though I hope we can be allies, despite the spirit you brought with you."
Her manner is haughty, though her sudden precise movements remind you that she is not entirely human and you should not read her entirely like one.

Grymmheart
2008-05-14, 07:21 AM
Jyn eases off to sleep along the wall of the cavern. She had hoped to have the energy to speak with the statue of the standard bearers and such, but fatigue overcame her. Drifting off, she dreams of a simpler time. She was maybe 8 or 9 years old and her uncle had just returned from his Voyage of Enlightenment, as such travels of discovery were called among her people. He had been gone for four years without any contact with the tribe she had been told, which is unusually long. He had returned with some vague stories of men of cold blood that had sought refuge within a fiery mountain ages ago. Many thought his tale would be proven false once all knowledge was obtained. But in her memory-filled sleep, Jyn smiles briefly. She would love to bring the truth home to her people.

As her dream shifts to her mother, Jyn is gently shaken and awakens with a start to find alien eyes upon her. Not permitting fear to overtake her, she focuses on the uniqueness of the experience and accepts her predicament with awe. Moving with Thyr to join the others, she meets a strange amalgamation of human and lizard.

"Yelissur you say? Well my name is Jyn and these are my companions Thyr, Noj, Vesha, and Ingvar. We have travelled far and I can personally say am marvelled by what I see here today. Never in my wildest dreams would I expect to meet a people such as you and am truly honored. I hope allies, if not friends, can be made of us all. I do not know how long I have been sleeping, but must assume you have some knowledge of why we have delved into your mountain. The dvarf statue suggests that we must gain more knowledge and power before we continue the quest. But I hope you can impart us with further knowledge to ease the burdens of our quest," she says to Yelissur as she points out her companions as she named them.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-14, 07:56 AM
What do you mean by being allies despite the spirit we brought? grunts Vesha. He waves towards the statue. Surely you are glad I brought the Dvarf spirit.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-14, 08:32 AM
Your three hosts watch Jyn intently as she speaks, and briefly make motions to each other. They all seem to understand though Yellisar adds some extra words of her own.

Yellisur seems to still herself before Vesha's question, to retain calmness or prepare herself, she had been expecting an argument here perhaps.
"It is known that dvarf do not think like any of the Peoples. They are from another world and have ideas of their own. They do not understand what it means to protect your family and those you love," she spreads a hand and motions down to the folk moving around the chamber.

I believe they favour stability above all things, surity, the predicatable. And they will only act when they see something to gain. I know that they have helped us all, that is true. I also know they could have acted to prevent horrendous things and have not."

Oak hisses his long tongue and waves a hand, palm up. Yellisur turns to look before continuing quickly.

He disagrees of course... Look how close we are to extermination again. Barely have the Peoples survived the deathly ice to build communities again, and already we have this terrible horde which will sweep us all away."

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-14, 09:17 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj takes this opportunity to observe the lizard-warriors a little more closely as they file past. Even half-reassured of their good intent for the moment, Noj's quick eyes flicker across joints, measuring their gait, watching the wounded to see which wounds pain them particularly. Anything that wasn't human was Wendigo; that's how the Avalanche had seen things for ages, and it had served them well. He wasn't about to get his guts eaten because of a talking statue.

However, well conscious that his particular talents are ill-suited to any kind of negotiation, Noj merely watches on as Jyn and the shaman ply words.

Yelissur was...interesting. She was treated to an equal analysis, Ophidian eyes aside. Here and there Noj's gaze lingered...but then quickly moved again, he cursing himself silently
Not time to be admiring that, you fool; Shiverbit have beautiful eyes, but it's never time to notice that when they're circling you...

Helfdan
2008-05-14, 08:37 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

"horde? You mean the Adelmada?"

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-15, 03:36 PM
Yellisur eyes flick to Noj's as he looks away, then to Ingvar.

Her spawn yes, they run freely across most of the land to the south and east. The People's of Bathoc have somehow become aligned to them, their greedy rulers seek power I believe. They may all be traitors.

We could use your strength and knowledge to battle the horde. You may even be able to move amongst Bathoc's People and find what they are about.

I have led groups to find the city in the west. If the loremasters there still exist they may be able to help us defeat the horde, but I don't know how much time we have.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-15, 06:12 PM
Vesha grunts. These Loremasters might know more about how to free the sun.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-15, 07:38 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj kicks his boot against he ground, handling the heavy worn pommel of his scimitar fretfully.
"It sounds like...more than just us think this crazy dream o' freeing the sun is...actually possible. I had'na thought to hope."

Helfdan
2008-05-15, 07:42 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar ponders the woman's words before speaking. "Tell us about this... Bathoc. Who are they?"

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-15, 10:36 PM
Thyr was both impressed but also disappointed by her handiwork. Her little brother had taken on the duties of a smith at Shatterhorn, he would have become an expert, and shared some of his knowledge with her, only an inkling more however than the average raider. Raiders did, after all, have to be content with ranging for long distances, so they had to be able to at least beat an edge onto their weapons.
Her face was a mixture of determination, pride, exhaustion and sadness. She slowly shook her head as she plunged the rod into the sand, glancing at Jyn and remembering her off to help her. Her pride refused to allow another to help her with Faillune, but there was no way she could face the Adelbrood without her friend by her side.

Cooling her exposed and reddened skin with the water, she dozed off in the corner of the chamber again.

As the meeting with the new creature was conducted, Thyr had studied the being known as Yellisur intently. Her arms crossed she would lower her head, eyes closed every so often, absorbing the information. She glanced sidelong at Noj.
"It's not impossible, just unacheivable by mortal will alone." Thyr murmurred. "If the she-witch stole the sun, then it's possible to bring it back. It has to..." Thyr is struck by a thought.
"The people of the Column had spoken of the city to the west, they believed that the pathfinder knew the way... For that matter, who or what, are the pathfinders? And how did they come to know about the location of the fabled city?"

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-16, 07:15 AM
Oak seems energised by your comments, and makes some replies of his own through Yellisur while the other saurian looks on with interest.

Oak reminds me that the Ringed Forest people came here to hold Mittelheim against our foes. He believes we should not try to find Tywyn, because we may find it easier to abandon our task and flee there, than to stay and fight.

The Loremasters were the first of the Men who travelled into the west and allied with the Peoples against the Vendigo.

They brought knowledge of the tribes of Men and Apekatt and agreed to bring more Men into the west as allies.
Tywyn is the great city on the sea. It was once a city of peace, learning and trade between the Peoples, and it was the council there that blessed Raenis on his quest. The Loremasters began to collect all the knowledge they could in their archives at Tywyn, the sagas of all the Peoples and the Men and what they could learn of the Vendigo. One day they will come to rescue us.

I am not sure what the column is that you speak of, Thyr. Oak's ancestors taught us that the Loremasters were the only ones who travelled so far across Myria, from the great tribes of Men in the East to the lands of the Peoples, and to Tywyn in the far West.

Bathoc was one of the first Loremasters to come to Tywyn. He became their champion and Raenis' companion on his quest, leading the army of Men - the ones who travelled to Tywyn and became wise.

Yellisur looks at Vesha, then lowers her eyes.

I am sorry, but it is known that the tribes of Men were the chattel of the Vendigo, little more than animals and allies of the People's great enemy. Those than travelled to the west learnt much and became great sages.

Oak looks at Vesha as well, his solemn expression seeks to impress the truth of the words.
Yellisur continues, speaking to Ingvar.

After Raenis was... trapped here, so he could never leave, it was decided that Bathoc must take the Men away and not return to Tywyn, in case the Vendigo followed him and learnt of where it is.

Not far to the south, the People's of Bathoc flourish. They live all around the western shore of a great lake, building and trading, and think themselves almost alone. They have forgotten most of their wisdom and become greedy.

Since the Wolvun come mostly from the south, there must be something between them, I believe they are allies or partners. Though I do not know what Bathoc's People could gain from it, unless they serve in fear.

It occurs to Mynas that Shatterhorn was some way to the east of a large stretch of water. The prey villages were all about, extenidng to the west of Shatterhorn upto the edge of the waters.
Ingvar also knows that there was a large body of fresh water to the south-west of Gniepr's Mill, and is away of many small communities along the edge of this lake.
Neither of you have ever known someone to cross or circumnavigate the waters.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-16, 07:32 AM
Vesha thinks for a moment. It does not sound promising... perhaps the sages of Tywyn would know, but not necessarily. They wouldn't know the details... but it doesn't sound like the people of Bathoc would either. But Bathoc sounds like our best bet.

Grymmheart
2008-05-16, 08:36 AM
"But if the People of Bathoc are allied with the Wulven, what safe travel can we expect in those lands? And would anyone freely share knowledge with us if it was known we work against the Wulven cause? I do not know how we can act as one with the Bathoc people, we are likely to alien to their culture," reflects Jyn on what she has heard so far.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-16, 09:27 AM
I only know that Bathoc's People look like you and speak like you, there is no chance for one of the Ringed Forest to pass among them, but for you... maybe.

Your goal to free the sun and warm the land is noble, courageous and I also admire your ambition. Yet what I know is that the Wolvun come closer and closer, that the people of Pinval are in danger, and that Mittelheim may soon be discovered. What if that Wolvun were to find the Adelmada?!

Oak nods sagely, and the idea seems to scare the younger female greatly.

We fought a war leader and his Mammut beast out on the snow. With him was a spirit-grasper who called things back from death. If these are Jarls of the Wolvun who come to find us, then how powerful are their Thanes and their Kings?
I would ask you to help us, at least to deal them a mighty blow to weaken them, before you try to find Tywyn and the loremasters. Then you may have more time to seek what you wish.

Grymmheart
2008-05-16, 11:02 AM
Jyn continues, "Whatever endeavor we partake, we are likely to need better supplies than we carry now. Luckily we were able to improve some of our gear from Raenis' vault. But if your people could assist us it would be greatly appreciated. We are low on arrows for one thing. And building a sled to help carry any provisions would be useful. But I digress, I am probably thinking too far in advance. There is too much knowledge here for me to ignore. Before we leave on whatever course is decided, I would love to speak with you some more," Jyn says directed at Yellisur and Oak.

Helfdan
2008-05-16, 07:41 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

"Indeed, arrows would be useful.. I also would like to take a closer look at your people's bows, they are most effective in combat. Lastly," A rare smile lights up his lean face, "I would appreciate if I could trade for some cloth or leather, to fashion a tunic... more for my companions' benefit than my own." He then turns to Vesha, Noj, Thyr, and Jyn.

"So... are you all up for a little information gathering at Bathoc? We may even be able to get some supplies there."

Ozzy_G
2008-05-16, 08:42 PM
Vesha doesn't say anything immediately, instead stands looking into the distance. But then he speaks. Bathoc doesn't look easy. They work with the Adelmeda, and they've sold their lore. But unfortunately it looks like the best possibility we have. I don't think we have an alternative.

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-16, 10:13 PM
Thyr thinks about the information, puzzling over it a little.
"I've heard of a lake like the one you described close to my homeland. If all of the Cadinoc have been turned to the side of the Adelbrood, then Bathoc is the Cadinoc fort's sphere of influence." She slowly shook her head. "I may be able to stomach hiding among our enemies, but I'm afraid that I'll be found out." She pointed to the tell-tale Cadinoc tattoo on her face. "Odds are that my true allegiances will be found out faster than any others... Especially if any of my traitor kin are there."
"Well... If the Cadinoc have turned and the Bathoc work for the Adelbrood, then you'll look like a friend. You can probably talk like a friend... But how would we make you sound and smell like one?" Faillune wondered.
"In either case, it sounds like Mittelheim is going to be under siege soon. Pinval is doomed however. The place doesn't seem the least bit defensible and your people should neither give aid or safe haven, the brood's tracker's would just find the empty village far too suspicious and foreign warriors would be equally damning.
"As you've said, we'd have to wipe out the entire army of them, but there's no telling how many runners and scouters that they will have scattered all over the field. Odds are, their main forces will know of resistance near Pinval and the Adelmada is as good as found." She sighed.
"Needless to say, the immediate situation is pretty bleak. Unless we can break their lines of communication and command."

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-17, 06:46 PM
Oak and Yellisur help to make you comfortable enough to stay with them for some time. As long as you can stand the food, you can take a few days to rest and make arrangements with them.
They are keen to hear your thoughts, though some of them do not suggest easy solutions for them.
Their knowledge of geography is excellent, helping to explain some features of the map and to find your homelands:

It seems that the Ringed Forest folk have become accustomed to their way of life over many generations, though they are still not best suited to it. They have their best scouts surveying the mountains to the south, and they expect to hear warnings should any enemies be seen. The scouts cannot survive long outside, and each will return once a day.

You are offered what meager supplies they have. Weapons and arrows are not plentiful though they have the metal for you to use as you wish.
They clearly know much about Pinval and suggest you go there for food and wood. In fact it seems that Yellisur is related to those people.

Once you have slept the remainder of the night, there is time to talk more. Very few of the wounded have died overnight and it seems the battle was successful from that point of view, if only no Wolvun had escaped to send news back to Shatterhorn.

Thyr spends the morning finishing the haft for Faillune. The dvarf provides more guidance this time, now that he has seen her skill and finished talking with Oak. The dvarf has no need to instruct or direct, some simple suggestions to Mynas allow her to choose for herself, learning to feel the flow of the steel, focussing her mind on the work and using the tools as an extension of her hands.
When the haft is buried once more in the soil to cool, it seems much more suited to accept the teeth, the join will not be seemless but it will seem natural. Although the balance will have changed, Failune seems suited to the shape, once they are joined Thyr will just need to learn how the new weapon can be wielded. But will Failune accept the new haft as easily?
Changed to match K_T/Thyr's subsequent post

Oak takes the others around the caverns, showing the community at work.

The warrior caste live apart from the peons and barely give you any attention. The young shaman seems hostile and keeps away from you. The brief glances you catch of him, he is always snarling and gesturing wildly, always wearing white warpaint that shows wide teeth across his face.

Yellisur is there for a short time to translate for Oak. His answers to your questions are direct and simple. He knows Raenis' story in part, not much of the whole tale but much where it concerns the Ringed Forest people, their old home and their personal struggles with the Vendigo. Their exodus and new quest to defend Mittelheim fills much of their history.
It seems that there were seven armies of the Peoples raised against the Vendigo. Their own standard has been repaired and refreshed many times but it is one of their artefacts that they are most proud of. They once had several smaller for the different warrior groups, but with so few left these have fallen away to ruin.
The Ringed Forest people are pledged to maintain the traditions that the Peoples started together. Organised warfare, discipline in battle, planning and tactics, logistics and supply. These were the ways that they were taught to defeat the Vendigo and their hordes of Men and Apekatt.

Yellisur is keen to bring the people of Pinval into Mittelheim. They can gather together their supply and come in for defense. She is unsure what they will make of the strange race, but believes they can live together.

As the sun begins to set on the day after you arrived, you are again in a high alcove. This one is in a darkened corner up some way from the living areas. It has heat but no light from below, and you can see the sky and feel the wind when it shifts. Yellisur comes to you all with Oak behind her.
"It seems our warriors have been in council. They did not take well to your arrival for they do not appreciate change. Oak and I have been able to speak well of you, they see your value and your use although they do not understand many of your ways.
They wish to know what you think of the Pinval people. They also wish to know why you leave your dead to rest in the snow outside gazing at the skies. To them it is offensive and they want to know your reasons."

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-19, 10:02 PM
After the steel rod had cooled, Thyr took it with her to the alcove, with the intent of keeping it close but to also get some information from Jyn, namely in what she ought to be doing to get better use out of the steel. When Yellisur and Oak arrive, Thyr had set herself up against one wall of the alcove, Faillune to her side along with the rod.
"If you ask me, the people of Pinval are soft. If it weren't for us, their village would have been wiped out by a group of raiders. They've gotten by on abundance rather than ability, I certainly doubt that they'll prove to be an asset when the Adelbrood arrive in force. Moreover they're a liability." Thyr leaned forward looking at Jyn and Noj, being that they would be the ones better to describe the concept of death, that and her opinion of it was obvious, if they meant the Column, then Thyr merely ignored them because they were not her people, and in the case of those at Pinval, again, those they lost were not her kin... Not even the Cadinoc raiders slain at the tower could be considered that. Perhaps Noj could see it the same way, now that he was a tribe of one himself.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-20, 03:36 AM
Oak watches Thyr carefully as she speaks, once putting a restraining hand gently on her arm as she seems about to reply. He mimes something, accompanied by a low soft noise.
Oak says you judge them harshly, though perhaps not unfairly.
To me what you say seems cruel... They have done what was asked of them, I don't see that they have failed at all... except for losing the horn but that was destiny. They have maintained their traditions, their duty as Raenis gave it to them. Though they do not have the warriors they once did they were prepared to fight when needed.

Oak says that if they had bred warriors before now, they may have been more aggressive and gone seeking raiders. Then they might have neglected their other duties.
I need to convince our Syriah that these people can be warriors again. And that their skills of the open sky are useful to us.
Yellisur bows her head and speaks more quietly. I need to convince Pine as well.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-20, 05:14 AM
Noj Onadare
Noj avoids the eye of Thyr, apparently all too aware of her intent. He keeps his eyes instead on the smooth but uneven floor of the cavern.
"Ach," he says, abruptly, "I wouldn't like to see those stupid wet-calf villagers wiped out. They're daft enough not to know a quick man from a dead one, and they're cowards, but there's some flint buried in all that chalk yet. They'll never be as good as me or Vesha or Minas, but I'll claim they can learn a thing or two, especially if they know what's coming for them."

Ozzy_G
2008-05-20, 07:51 AM
Learn from whom? asks Vesha in his strange, windy voice. Us? We've got to go and rescue the sun.

Helfdan
2008-05-20, 05:56 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar shakes his head in wonder, then barks a harsh laugh, his feral eyes blazing as he addresses Noj and Thyr. "Hah! What know either of you of REAL courage and strength? Sure, fighting takes skill, and that you have. But all you risk is your own life. These farmers and herdsmen you belittle toil agains predators and the vagaries of weather, and they have not the option of running... for if they do, all their loved ones starve or wither away from disease. And I have seen more self-pity in the last day in our group of so-called heroes, than most of these 'weak' farmers show in a lifetime! Bah!" He then looks back to Oak and Yellisur, and he makes an effort to calm down.

Grymmheart
2008-05-22, 01:46 PM
Jyn echoes Ingvar's words internally. Why would Noj only acknowledge his or Thyr's or Vesha's skill and ignore any contribution Ingvar or she could offer? And why belittle these people?

"These people you belittle, as we learned from Raenis, were much stronger than any of us could imagine. They were strong enough to send their own to offer their life for our safety. Without their sacrifice how long ago could the Alemada have broken free from her prison and reigned death upon all the world. It is true something must be done to bolster the protection of this area, since its existance is now known."

Turning to Oak and Yellisur, Jyn continues, "Oh I forgot to ask earlier. Before we made it to the summit and were able to enter the mountain, we were attacked by some giant-like creatures. Do they have a name? And are they guardians along with your people, or they just happened to be in the mountains? "

Ozzy_G
2008-05-22, 06:39 PM
I told you before, snaps Vesha, they are Apekatt, evil spirits of stone and hunger.
He turns to Ingvar, Mynas and Noj. It is irrelevant whether they are brave or not. They will win or lose depending on how the spirits decide. It is not important. We must rescue the sun. How? That is all that matters.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-23, 01:30 PM
Oak murmurs to Yellisur as the three watch you talk. Yellisur is beaten to answer Jyn by Vesha, so she adds

Yesss, we call them Apekatt also. They came from highlands and mountain places, mostly in the East where they feuded with the tribes of Men.
They were the most dangerous enemies that the Peoples of old faced. The Vendigo used them in their armies alongside Men. Sometimes they worked on them with their magiking and their metals to make them... fiercer.

They are little danger to larger groups, they seem to have reverted to simple beasts since the Vendigo no longer discipline them.

Yellisur pauses and looks back to Oak and then around you all.

You wish to free the sun... well, we all wish that. You have some insight into how it was captured, you have the book of sorcery that the Adelmada used. We may be able to help you find some of the places that the Vendigo used for their rites.
You can learn from all these things, but we would ask you to first help to protect the people of Pinval, and this place from the Wolvu...

Yellisur stops with a glance at Thyr, Adelbrood., she finishes with slight embarrassment.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-23, 08:50 PM
Noj Onadare
Noj stands and leaves, his head bowed so that his sweat-clotted hair hangs about his eyes, masking their expression.

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-23, 10:26 PM
Thyr gave an amused smile at Ingvar's outburst. He was correct in that Noj and she had been the ones wallowing in self-pity. She leaned back, a rather smug expression on her face, more for Ingvar losing his temper despite the fact that he was correct about Noj and her belly-aching.
Yellisur's correction drew her attention though.
"Don't be so hesitant to call them what they are. If the Adelbrood and Wolven are one in the same, then that is what they are. I certainly don't consider myself one of their kind, even if I share their stinking blood. They are no longer Cadinoc and they are not my kin, they are an abomination and for that reason I will gladly kill them."

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-24, 06:49 AM
The last few days have been more stressful than you realised. The everyday struggle of survival is one thing out in the icelands, though this experience has been different.

You have hospitality and the security of the mountain now, but in the confines the emotions that had little role in the outside world are suddenly more real.
The confined space, the closeness of these people who are strangers - despite the life and death struggles you have faced together, and the trust you have built between you - the revelations about your kin and family... all these things are rubbing sore on wounds old and new.

In finding quiet space to reflect and sort your thoughts, you find yourselves drifting apart. Each of you pursue your own interests and ideas where the bustle of the busy folk about you make it easy to lose yourselves in the crowd.
It occurs to each of you individually that chieftains are essential to any group. Where so many strong and perspicious opinions present themselves it is difficult to find the right course: the course that suits everyone and the course that gives the best result.
A perspicacious chieftain, obeyed almost without question, is why so many tribes move and act as one, even if that chieftain proves wrong...

------------------------------------

Noj's feet carry him glumly onwards and up the path through the rocks to the small waterfall in the crevice. There he spends some hours whittling away at a piece of wood, lost in thought and staring upwards at the small crack of sky above.

Jyn sits among the circles of lizardfolk watching as they go about their work. The few materials they have available are put to good use, making clothes and tools, repairing armour and weapons.
The clothing is designed with the cold-blooded in mind. Simple thin cloths for the mountain with thick hides and furs for the outside, all of them in separate pieces so that body temperature can be regulated.
They work with little sound though there is clearly communication in gestures and body language.
Later she speaks to Oak of the peoples history. The details of their own Journey some centuries past are unclear, but their origin was a great Ringed Forest far to the north-west.
The standard of the tribe carries symbols of their homeland and their ancestors. Each warrior is marked with similar symbols and each takes a turn in guarding the standard; to repair it and sleep with it, to protect it from the weather. Although there is only once privileged bearer of the standard in battle, it belongs to the whole warrior caste.
The bearer remains with the shaman and chieftain during conflicts, acting as a marshalling point so that all warriors know their direction, where to move and where to rally. The current bearer is joined in battle by a warrior with a half-spear that has a hollow haft. This spear has holes to be played like a pipe that can give orders to the warriors.

The standard is hung with scalps and claws, fingerbones hang as beads across it and string together ancient metal rings collected from defeated tribes. The hide of the banner itself is that of a great black Apekatt pinned with foot-long claws. This creature was said to have a firey glow of Vendigo sorcery in battle, its arms and chest plated with black iron that seemed to move as part of its flesh.

Ingvar takes the long road down to Pinval. For him it is natural to be alone, though the company of the Column and the heroes over the last days has been welcome, a return to a solitary life - at least for a short time- is peaceful.

The Pinval men welcome him once more, this time with even more reverance though also more familiar and personable. After his outburst he sees even more similarities with the people of Gnieprs Mill and he wonders how many of them survived the Column and how many remain behind.

Ingvar ponders over what to tell them about the mountain. He sets them straight, that his companions are still alive and he is not the only survivor, but what to tell them of the lizards? And what to warn them of the coming war with the Adelbrood.

For now, he enjoys the mild outdoors. The weather is cold, but not freezing and the fragrance of the air is refreshing. The food and ale is a welcome change from mushrooms and insects and he starts to see the potential in the large village. A community of farmers and gatherers next to a colony of warriors...

There are horses available still, and some instructions as to how to care for them in the icelands; of course they require a lot of attention and food.

Vesha of all seems least affected and does not have time for the diverse opinions of the groups. Spending some time in meditation he feels whole and in balance with himself and his destiny.
Here the spirits of the mountain and the fire pool are wound together. Above the spirits of ice and snow batter at the fortress while the wind and sky look on.

It is clearly a matter of upmost concern that the world's balance has been overturned and that mortals must do all they can to fix it. Who then, is there to fix mortal concerns while they uphold their destiny?

Thyr returned wearily to the forge for another time. Her resolve was being tested as the progress was slow.

Treat it like a wild stallion... show it your will and harness it's fury. Don't attempt to break it, it will never submit.. and if it did it would be broken...
the dvarf had spoken to encourage her and remind her that patience would be important.

Every inch of metal had to be fought and every hour spent inflicted more heat rash from the fires. Steam scalds lapped over the gloves and blisters formed between the thickening skin of her hands.

Remember it will be what you make it. It will absorb what you give it.

The night passes, with each of you in individual reflection. Come morning something has changed subtly. The group once bound together by necessity now chooses their associations free from need.

-------------------------------------

Noj finds some of his old fire among the bewildering loss. By himself he makes the march back out into the frozen hillside and down to the scene of the tragedy.
Frozen eyes stare upwards and blood iced-over coats the ground. A layer of snow somewhat conceals the scene, but barely.

This part of the Column was left behind and perhaps had no chance. They fought in the snow as though they had every chance and salvation was only a sword swing away.
Three dozen Avalanchers dead in the snow and Egrek amongst them. Around them the two dozen Huscarls wearing tattered and bloodied fox furs, another four dozen herders from the Fens and the lowlands. Several of the Far Coast people and those from Gnieprs Mill.

Noj sets about the task of burning what he can, perhaps some might be worthy to be taken into the mountain but most he will deal with now.

Scattered amongst them are perhaps four dozen Wolvun corpses and a dozen horse carcasses which he does his best to ignore, though there is some satisfaction at knowing his bloodkin asked no quarter and punished those who came for them.

The open sky is blessed relief and the wind that gushes around him lifts his head to gaze around and into the many distances. There are still lifelines out there, others of the blood calling to him. If vengeance was anywhere in his mind he would have to put aside the pity and live his days fighting for those that remained... in honour of those that died.

The mountain looms large behind him, and he gazes upwards to it's peak which touches the clouds. One day he might stand there and look down on all below him. Would those that looked back would know him for deeds of valour? Or would his name be forgotten?

Jyn keeps her head down in a cool corner by a shallow water pool. The chained book in her lap.
The light is reasonable but daylight woould be better, if it could be without wind and cold. The silver chains are intricate and quarrelsome, each more argumentative than the last. Frustration blows up and sparks of anger cloud her mind, but she doggedly resumes her task, clearing her mind and carrying on.
Throughout the day she takes only water and speaks no word. At the corners of her eyes she reads the actions of the folk in their manner and movement. Mostly they wish for the Allies of old, some of them are losing faith, some of them wish for a world with only lizards.
Jyn knows that the world will never see peace, but it does not have to always be at war.

Her fingers rest on the final link, and she wonders what she is about to unlock.

That evening the atmosphere has changed in the mountain world, from pensive and thoughtful there is the hint of action. The warrior caste have become more charged, rested and recovered they move about with purpose, stalking past and glaring, especially at you.
There is something unresolved, and though it is without words the sense of it is palpable in the air.

Kain_Tempest
2008-05-24, 01:54 PM
Thyr sought a quiet place to think after the argument with Ingvar and Yellisur, a place where few of the lizards frequented so that she and Faillune could commune in peace.
"He had every right to call us out. You weren't exactly the most noble back in the vault."
"I wonder if his intent was less to put us in our place than it was to raise himself in the eyes of those around us. After all, my doubts and Noj's despair were something that we'd only show among people we trusted. I definately would not have brought up what I did before the Huscarls. I don't know about Noj, but what we spoke of was something that was probably the closest to being a pack."
"So you were trusting that far?" Thyr shook her head. "Well if he was Lupin, then he might not have understood which was why he attacked in such a way."
"That fool is the last person I would want to have lead this cadre when you go to the southeast. But I doubt that neither myself nor Noj are much deserving of a position to reign him in."
"Perhaps Jyn should be the one to lead the group of us. She knows the most and has been able to intone strategy to us more so than Ingvar has. You might have the experience to lead..."
"But I also know how to follow."
"So when I'm whole and we end the first raid of Mittelheim we can start finding the sun."
"Was there any doubt? If the legends speak of all peoples being involved, best that even one like myself goes along until a better champion presents themself."
"Ever figure I chose you for a reason other than getting out of Shatterhorn?" She looked away.
"I'm not the Blood Reaver..."
"Then just pretend to be. These people and those in Pinval need a champion and the Wolven deserve to have a nightmare reborn. You may not fit the requirements but that doesn't mean you can't try. Besides, if our loremaster becomes our leader, she will need strong hearts and Noj is too far from that." Thyr sighed and nodded.
"Well then, best we start with getting you put back together."

The next morning, Thyr approaches Jyn.
"Jyn, if I may speak to you privately, I have a matter with which I want to discuss." After pulling the loremaster aside, she continues.
"I want to apologize for turning down your proposition to help me rebuild Faillune. I've struggled with the steel for some time and have had little success. My pride tells me not to ask for your help because you are not a Cadinoc, but I've come to realize, that Faillune isn't so much mine nor Cadinoc itself. I want to keep what dignity I have, which is why I'm asking you away from everyone else, to allow my to take you up on that offer. Will you help me?"

Grymmheart
2008-05-24, 09:48 PM
Jyn reflects upon all that has passed. The knowledge she has gained is commited to memory with the simple games her family had taught her all those years ago.

Turning aside with Mynas, Jyn is initially shocked by the woman's attention. Never before had she wanted to speak directly to Jyn without some form of insult. She quickly buries those memories and focuses on the pleading in the woman's voice.

"No I will not help you," she replies to Mynas' question for help. Jyn could never help someone such as Mynas' before that person sought to help themselves.

"Let me explain. I do not want to help you in this task, for that would imply you can not do it and need someone to do it for you. When with companions, someone should never feel that they need help with an endeavor. I will gladly perform the task with you, at your side, as one. But please don't look at it as help. You should never ask for help from someone willing to risk their lives for you. All you need to do is pen yourself up to the opportunity that the person will walk beside you during the challenge you are facing." Offering a brief smile, Jyn continues, "Well let's get finished, we have travelling to do."

Helfdan
2008-05-25, 06:05 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

The next morning Ingvar wakes in a much better mood - roast pork, ale, and a willing lass will do that for a man - but he sknows the most difficult part is still ahead. Careful not to disturb the farmer's daughter sharing his blankets, he dons his new leggings and tunic, and dons his weaponsbelt, before heading out to find the warden. Once he finds the man, he speaks in his usual gruff tones. "We must speak in private... about the fate of the people of Pinval."

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-26, 07:37 AM
Rolling from his bed Ingvar pats his lean belly, the memory of the meal something that he'll keep with him for some time.

The girl was only too glad to bed the rough man, an outsider that had the stories of a hero about him, and some kindness behind a surly manner.
Her father wasn't likely to complain while nose-deep in cider and at any rate Ingvar was a much better prospect for mating than any of the close cousins that were available.

The morning is crisp and wet with dew and a drizzle of rain patters around, his legs and shoulders are damp within several paces. The village folk are busy at the edges of the fields, tying bundles and loading carts.
It looks like the harvest is halfway over; there maybe one more before winter preparations begin and the ground is prepared for next year.

The Warden greets Ingvar wearily. His work has been hard the last few months especially with the new Wolvun threat, the battle at the Tower and now the uncertainty around all of the myths he used to preach. Despite all this he has been genuinely warm with Ingvar and pleased he has returned.

He frowns and takes Ingvar aside,
What about the fate of Pinval? Is the Beast freed?

------------------------------

Jyn leaves the last links of the book entangled, sure now that she is close to the end. Returning to the forge with Mynas she is impressed at how far the Cadinoc has come on her own. Two bars of the unusual metal have been formed into a rough bar, an arms length long, which thickens at both ends where it has been beaten flat.
Jyn watches as Thyr heats it once more and starts to understand some of the difficulties with this time of forging...

Helfdan
2008-05-26, 11:04 AM
Ingvar the Wolf

The huntsman addresses the Warden. "Dire news. The Wolvun, or Aldemada, as they are now known, are marching this way." He pauses to appraise the other man's reaction.

The Great Skenardo
2008-05-26, 10:55 PM
Noj Onadare
Sitting with one leg propped up in the small garden, Noj turns in his fingers the one piece of wood he'd allowed himself to carve. Even in the Kumbsbin Mountains, wood was precious, and he'd always been taught that a little of the tree's spirit stayed with every sliver that you cut from it.
It was an exercise in self-control, they said, to carve wood. It was too easy to hack at it, impatient to get at the shape you wanted locked inside all those extra chips. But you had to be careful.
*snap*
Noj stares blankly at the broken length of wood in his hand and the knife in his other.
Wordlessly, he tosses the broken end to the ground and leaves the garden to sleep, his feet shuffling across the stone.

Gygaxphobia
2008-05-27, 04:29 AM
The Warden stares at Ingvar for half a moment.

"They come to free her then," he bows his head.

"Can we stop them? We must try, perhaps we can trap them in a pass with a rockfall. How far are they, and how many?," his voice trembles as he speaks and his knuckles go white as they clench his staff, but he knows his duty.

Helfdan
2008-05-27, 02:18 PM
Ingvar the Wolf

"I know not how many.... perhaps all of them. An army at the least." Ingvar then slaps the Warden's shoulder. "But stay calm, man, there is yet hope!" He pauses again, his green eyes narrowing as he assesses the older man. "Have you heard of the Ringed Forest People?"