PDA

View Full Version : Scribe Tattoo [Psionic Item Creation] Query

GimliFett
2008-03-02, 06:24 PM
Are Personal-target spells POWERS acceptable for psionic tattoos? If not, wow there's a severely limited number of tattoo-able powers! :smallconfused:

EDIT: Okay. I meant Powers, not Spells. ugh. :smallredface:

Ryuuk
2008-03-02, 06:37 PM
Well, you do get most of the Psychic Warrior list and a few Psion ones. It's not too big, but it looks like enough (though I've never used it myself) This is the psionic equivalent to Brew Potion after all.

As for the actual question, I would say no, the feat says powers, not spells. Here's the whole text, it looks like they don't necessarily have to be personal either (Edit, but you'll be the target):

Scribe Tattoo [Item Creation]

You can create psionic tattoos, which store powers within their designs.
Prerequisite

Manifester level 3rd.
Benefit

You can create a psionic tattoo of any power of 3rd level or lower that you know and that targets one or more creatures. Scribing a psionic tattoo takes one day. When you create a psionic tattoo, you set the manifester level. The manifester level must be sufficient to manifest the power in question and no higher than your own level. The base price of a psionic tattoo is its power level × its manifester level × 50 gp. To scribe a tattoo, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials (special inks, masterwork needles, and so on) costing one-half of this base price.

There's also crawling tattoos, but they strangely enough need another feat. This feat might be more useful though, as there are many more universal items then available.

GimliFett
2008-03-02, 06:45 PM
Well, you do get most of the Psychic Warrior list and a few Psion ones. It's not too big, but it looks like enough (though I've never used it myself) This is the psionic equivalent to Brew Potion after all.

As for the actual question, I would say no, the feat says powers, not spells. Here's the whole text, it looks like they don't necessarily have to be personal either:

Oops... I meant powers, not spells. I'm getting sick. Ugh. Brain no work. As long as it applis to Powers that target personal as well as actual targets touched, etc. then I'm not upset. Otherwise, there really aren't that many non-personal powers available for scribing as a tattoo.

Thanks Ryuuk.

Ryuuk
2008-03-02, 07:04 PM
Actually, you probably don't want to quote me on that. There is a difference between target: creature, and personal range. Hmm, at the very least, I know that Body Adjustment, a personal range power works on a crawling tattoo as noted here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crawlingTattoos). Common sense says that it should work, but aside from this note, I didn't find any official backing.

GimliFett
2008-03-02, 07:05 PM
Actually, you probably don't want to quote me on that. There is a difference between target: creature, and personal range. Hmm, at the very least, I know that Body Adjustment, a personal range power works on a crawling tattoo as noted here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crawlingTattoos). Common sense says that it should work, but aside from this note, I didn't find any official backing.

Yeah. As much love as they have given to psionics and they've never really statted out too many psionic characters of various levels as they have done with main-stream and Complete characters...

Ryuuk
2008-03-02, 07:08 PM
Agreed, a single 5th level psion with a psicrystal, for example, would have been enough to answer whether those little rocks get feats or not.

GimliFett
2008-03-02, 07:24 PM
Agreed, a single 5th level psion with a psicrystal, for example, would have been enough to answer whether those little rocks get feats or not.

Exactly! Grr! Cuttin' corners make Hulk :smallfurious:!

Jack_Simth
2008-03-02, 08:55 PM
You're looking at the wrong spot....

Creating Psionic Tattoos
The creator of a psionic tattoo must have a patch of uncovered skin free of hair and fur, and at least a few containers in which to mix dyes. In addition, he needs special materials, usually to create dyes. The costs for materials and dyes are subsumed in the cost for scribing the psionic tattoo:
25 gp x the level of the power x the level of the manifester.

All ingredients and materials used to scribe a psionic tattoo must be fresh and unused. The character must pay the full cost for scribing each psionic tattoo. (Economies of scale do not apply.)

The user of the psionic tattoo is both the manifester and the target; therefore, powers that target another creature cannot be stored in psionic tattoo form. Powers with a range of personal can be made into psionic tattoos, but they cost double the price of standard psionic tattoos.

The creator must know the power to be placed in the psionic tattoo (or must have the power available in some other form). If manifesting the power would reduce the manifester’s XP total, he pays the XP cost upon beginning the scribing in addition to the experience point cost for making the psionic tattoo itself. The act of scribing triggers the power as if it had been manifested, costing the character an appropriate number of power points.

Scribing a psionic tattoo requires one day.

Item Creation Feat Required: Scribe Tattoo.(Emphasis added).

GimliFett
2008-03-03, 09:54 AM
The user of the psionic tattoo is both the manifester and the target; therefore, powers that target another creature cannot be stored in psionic tattoo form.

Powers with a range of personal can be made into psionic tattoos, but they cost double the price of standard psionic tattoos.

(EMPHASIS MINE)
What? Isn't this a touch contradictory?

Lochar
2008-03-03, 10:02 AM
No, actually, it just means you can't scribe Energy Bolt, since you can't manifest that and target yourself.

On a Tattoo, you are the manifester. not a problem for any power.

You also have to be a valid target for the power as well.

So Scribe Tattoo is best used for defensive purposes. Or utility purposes. Just not offensive ones.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-03, 10:10 AM
You can Scribe Tattoo any powers for which you are a valid target, and the tattoo always targets you (even if the power could normally target someone else).

I believe that's what's meant by the description.

GimliFett
2008-03-03, 11:15 AM
Okay. Fair 'nuff. Thanks. One more query: Catfall and Burst are Swift and Immediate actions. Activating a tattoo is a Standard action. Thus Catfall, Burst and some other swift- or immediate-action powers (mostly the ones with 1 round duration) are pointless as tattoos, correct?

Lochar
2008-03-03, 04:02 PM
Basically, yeah. Granted, Catfall does have it's uses, if you're going to fall for a long distance, you can use a standard action right before you go splat, but...

GimliFett
2008-03-03, 04:06 PM
Basically, yeah. Granted, Catfall does have it's uses, if you're going to fall for a long distance, you can use a standard action right before you go splat, but...

The but's what hurts... :smallwink: Well that and everything else by that point! :smallbiggrin:

Thanks! I think I can finish up my Duergar Lurk now...
MWAHAHAHA!!!

FlyMolo
2008-03-03, 04:20 PM
Wait, are Psionic tattoos 25xmanifesterxpower? or 50xmanifestxpower?

GimliFett
2008-03-03, 04:45 PM
Wait, are Psionic tattoos 25xmanifesterxpower? or 50xmanifestxpower?

Cost to craft:
Regular psionic tattoos = 25x.
Personal-range psionic tattoos = 50x.

Doubles for cost to buy.
That's my understanding.

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-03, 04:50 PM
Cost to craft:
Regular psionic tattoos = 25x.
Personal-range psionic tattoos = 50x.

Doubles for cost to buy.
That's my understanding.
This is why any and all Tattoos of Body Adjustment you buy/craft should be Crawling Tattoos, as they're still only 25x that way.