PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Charity322
2008-03-02, 07:14 PM
Hmm, I'm a little confused. Thanh just said the only reason he survived the battle was because he was on a diplomatic mission to Nowhere.

But if so then how did he get back into Azure City with the Cloister spell in effect (not to mention the huge hobgoblin occupying force)?

hewhosaysfish
2008-03-02, 07:20 PM
Hmm, I'm a little confused. Thanh just said the only reason he survived the battle was because he was on a diplomatic mission to Nowhere.

But if so then how did he get back into Azure City with the Cloister spell in effect (not to mention the huge hobgoblin occupying force)?

Cloister blocks "divination, communication and transportation magic" but not the power of a noble Paladin's feet. Haley and Celia are planning on using a similar method to get out.

The hobgoblins? Hm... Haley says he's no good at sneaky stuff... Beats me!

Charity322
2008-03-02, 07:22 PM
I thought Cloister also took Azure City "off the grid" so outside people couldn't find it? Or is that only for people who haven't lived there?

BRC
2008-03-02, 07:33 PM
I thought Cloister also took Azure City "off the grid" so outside people couldn't find it? Or is that only for people who haven't lived there?
You can find it, the city is still there, it's just immune to anything short of epic-level scrying and communcation type spells. It's the equivilent of a giant signal/radar jammer.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-02, 08:46 PM
You can find it, the city is still there, it's just immune to anything short of epic-level scrying and communcation type spells.The mark-one eyeball is the best scrying device out there.

Phase
2008-03-02, 09:16 PM
He probably came in right after Xykon put up the Cloister, but right beore the Hobgoblins got really settled.

Tanh lived there all his life, I'm sure he could find his way through the streets, maybe kill a Hob or two when they aren't looking...

Morgan Wick
2008-03-02, 09:17 PM
Basically, if the whole "Cloister blocks coming in and out" thing were still good, Haley and Celia wouldn't have a plan to get out in the first place.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-03-02, 09:24 PM
It's also possible that he had help sneaking in, perhaps by Haley/Belkar on a scouting mission, or someone else.

I love the sig by the way, Phase.

Chronos
2008-03-02, 09:31 PM
I love the sig by the way, Phase.And I just figured out the avatar. Do you actually keep it current?

Runar
2008-03-02, 10:53 PM
Perhaps Thanh got captured by the hobgoblins, which is why they had to go to the prison to have a jailbreak (stip 514, panel 1).

David Argall
2008-03-02, 11:14 PM
I thought Cloister also took Azure City "off the grid" so outside people couldn't find it?

It likely should have, but it appears there is no problem in just physically walking in, or out. You just have problems if you use magic to enter or look around.

Charity322
2008-03-12, 06:10 AM
Forgot my own thread.

So Cloister doesn't physically hide Azure City from outside view unless the caster allows you to see it (like for deliveries and stuff)? I thought it did that and sort of put a compulsion on you to forget about it if you went near.

†Seer†
2008-03-12, 06:20 AM
Forgot my own thread.

So Cloister doesn't physically hide Azure City from outside view unless the caster allows you to see it (like for deliveries and stuff)? I thought it did that and sort of put a compulsion on you to forget about it if you went near.

Makes me think of Harry Potter :P

We know for sure Cloister blocks all magical scrying attempts (except epic-level possibly), but phyiscal traits we're not sure.

Ancalagon
2008-03-12, 08:13 AM
We know for sure Cloister blocks all magical scrying attempts (except epic-level possibly), but phyiscal traits we're not sure.

You may not be but we are sure about physical things. Since we know what Cloister does. It was explained, no?

Kish
2008-03-12, 08:24 AM
Forgot my own thread.

There is no indication of any of this. "It basically blocked all divination, communication, and transportation magic from breaching an area up to several miles wide," Celia said, and shortly mentioned a specific exception for summoning spells going into the Cloister. It might have other effects she didn't mention or didn't know about, but as far as has been mentioned in the strip, that's it. Don't confuse board speculation (which predates Celia's description) with something official.

VetMichael
2008-03-12, 11:27 AM
I had wondered the same thing, but the two dominant theories seem to be most likely:

1) either he fought his way into the city while the Hobs were still disorganized and met up with Hayley's group, or...

2) he was captured and sprung by Hayley and the gang...

Personally, I think the second is MOST likely - Thanh seems like he would attract Hobbo attention intentionally, thus getting himself captured (or even killed) in order to fulfill his sense of obligation.

brilliantlight
2008-03-12, 10:03 PM
I think cloister just prevents magical scrying and communication, I don't think it makes the city invisible. After all the city needs to be seen to allow for trade.

Charity322
2008-03-12, 11:33 PM
Heh, I probably did read a few of the speculation threads.

I also thought though, that what Xykon wanted was for noone to know that he had taken over Azure City so he could research the next gate in peace without people coming to try and take it back/interfere. So then what's to stop someone coming near physically and running off to tell a neighbouring country and in three months why hasn't someone done that?

Spiky
2008-03-13, 12:44 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html
AC is still visible.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0452.html
V is not.

Invisible things are invisible to YOU. Visible things are not.

FujinAkari
2008-03-13, 12:45 AM
Heh, I probably did read a few of the speculation threads.

I also thought though, that what Xykon wanted was for noone to know that he had taken over Azure City so he could research the next gate in peace without people coming to try and take it back/interfere. So then what's to stop someone coming near physically and running off to tell a neighbouring country and in three months why hasn't someone done that?

They have. Hinjo has visited 3 - 4 neighboring countries, and the response was that none of them wanted to risk their troops against an army with Xykon's strength. This answer seems to indicate that said rulers were aware of the occupation before Hinjo arrived.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-13, 05:18 AM
And even if Cloister did block people from finding it, Thanh already *knows* where the city is. He didn't need to *find* it. It just keeps outsiders from finding it in the first place.