PDA

View Full Version : side quest: Ore ore ore... and more ore!

Shademan
2008-03-03, 10:42 AM
Leading a expedition of four men counting himself. Zavulon, Ovias, Feln and Janson. these brave pioneers set out on a journey to find what is most needed. They boldly go where no... oh screw it! They're leaving camp to see if there's any ore in the cliffs!
Zavulon carries nothing but a empty sack, a pick and his spear (not to mention the dagger strapped to his leg). When everyone is ready they go directly towards the cliffs... their quest: FIND ORE!

Zed's Dead
2008-03-03, 11:00 AM
Zed carries his sack as well. In it are his possessions: pen and empty inkpot, 50 paper sheets, 1 day's trail rations, and his blunderbuss (I wish).

He carries a sharpened walking stick in his right hand and wears a broad smile on his face.

Adventure, gentlemen...adventure!

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-03, 02:07 PM
Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

Zavulon's obvious happiness and excitement was contagious, and a broad, albeit lopsided, smile could be seen under Ovias' beard as he picked up all his possesions and loaded his broad back with them.

Using all the knowledge of stone he has, Ovias will be looking not just for ores out in the open, but for caves, (where ores are commonly found) both obvious and hidden - including hollow spaces in the cliffs with no apparent entrance (he can make one, and is carrying his stonemasonery tools). Whenever they are just walking past, that will be 10 + 4, and when he has more time, 20 + 4.

OOC: Ovias also has automatic search +4 when "strange" stonework is within 10 feet (including, but not limited to, unsafe stonework) which I assume the DM will privately roll.

Other usefull statistics:
Appraise +4 when related to metal or stone (in case we find ore and we need to determine which ore - or even if we find marble or some other interesting rocks)

Shademan
2008-03-04, 01:55 AM
"right lads, lets move!"
The group, with zavulon first followed by ovias, janson and Feln, starts moving. into the forest towards the cliffs! Zavulon starts to sing. its a orcish song so no one understands what it says but the tune is catchy!

ooc:
eventual spot and listen checks:
[roll0] spot
[roll1] listen

journeyman
2008-03-04, 09:01 AM
Feln Zekor

The scarred dwarf is smiling, the orc is singing, the hells have likely frozen over as a result (or at least the fifth layer has :smallwink: ). so mild sense of disbelief notwithstanding, Feln is having a good day. Lacking anywhere better to put them, Feln has brought all his things with him as well as a rope borrowed from the common supply. He's well aware of the potential danger as they leave the relative safety of the group. He drifts quietly to the more vulnerable rear position, watching carefully for anything lying in wait. He doesn't mention his fear to the others. If Zav's voice gets tired, Feln tries to teach the others a marching cadence. His voice isn't great and he doesn't remember all the lines, but it's fun and takes his mind off his lack of a weapon.

Zed's Dead
2008-03-04, 11:50 AM
Janson Himmerhardt

Janson takes the third position.

I'm grateful for your girth and your company, gentlemen!

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-04, 02:57 PM
Janson Himmerhardt

Janson takes the third position.

I'm grateful for your girth and your company, gentlemen!

Ovias "Grey" Greybeard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8590) - Dwarven mason, smith and engineer journeyman

"And I am grrateful yourr wisdom will be available in this enterrprrise, Masterr Himmerrharrdt" answers Ovias, respectfully, "Also, I am sorry I cannot move as quickly as you Talls can - but I can carry any equipment that is getting on yourr way - its weight will not inconvenience me much forr quite some time!"

storyteller
2008-03-04, 04:51 PM
Zavulon leads you through the forest towards the cliffs. Feln and Janson make mental notes about local animals and plants; many species present in the forests around Bluehaven seem to live here too, but their sizes and colorations vary somewhat. Squirrels look pretty much the same, they're just a gray not brown, and their fur is longer. Some rodents grow abnormally large here and they're fierce in outlook and exhibit more aggressive behavior than their cousings back in Bluehaven.

As you get closer to the cliffs, the terrain becomes rocky and the trees get sparser and smaller, and soon the ground is so hard and sloping that only some thorny bushes grow there.

Ovias takes mineral samples wherever rocky formations of significant size can be seen, but so far he's not found anything particularly interesting.

Still humming the orcish melody, Zavulon stops abruptly, as though he had seen or heard something. The humming stops too and now everyone can hear what Zavulon had heard: animals fighting in the distance. Your view is blocked by large rocks and bushes but you can hear clearly that the animals are fighting approximately in the same direction as you were going to.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-04, 05:32 PM
The humming stops too and now everyone can hear what Zavulon had heard: animals fighting in the distance. Your view is blocked by large rocks and bushes but you can hear clearly that the animals are fighting approximately in the same direction as you were going to.

Upon hearing the noises, Ovias starts to actively make as little noise as possible - just in case they can be heard over the fight's rumble.

"By Moradim!", Ovias wispers enfatically, while keeping as quiet as he can, "And we werre doing so well. We need inforrmation on what is going on beyond that rrock, and I'm likely the least capable. But I will help in any way you tell me" he says, while looking at the group. He also unhooks his club, although hoping it won't get to that since only Zavulon and him really know how to use the weapons they carry.

Zed's Dead
2008-03-04, 09:14 PM
Janson Himmerhardt

Hmmm. Not sure if I've heard those particular creatures before. They're in a bit of a spat, eh?

knowledge(nature) [roll0]

Spot [roll1]

Listen [roll2]

storyteller
2008-03-05, 04:47 AM
Janson can hear that there are only two creatures involved in the fight. One of them is a small canine but he's not sure which species exactly. The other animal is probably bigger, and it sounds like it's winning.

Shademan
2008-03-05, 05:05 AM
"lets try to get a better view..." Zavulon whisper and starts to sneak just close enought to see the beasts.

[roll0] move silently
[roll1] spot
[roll2] hide in shrubbery.

Shademan
2008-03-05, 05:06 AM
OOC:
Natural 20! that 'oughta count for something!

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-05, 05:10 AM

"Do we want to get in the way of the fight? We could wait forr the otherr creaturre to win and then frighten it away, orr we can charrge now and hope to win the day. Both of you have exprresed the desirre to trrain pets - what beterr chance than a small, wounded animal? But we have no healerr to tend to ourr worrst injurries. If the fight goes badly, it may cost us dearrly"

Shademan
2008-03-05, 05:12 AM
" consider it marked, Grey. i just want to see what they are" Zavulon whispers "if its a killer-boar that happens to be the grandson of a devil then we back off."

storyteller
2008-03-05, 07:39 AM
Zavulon goes to take a closer look at the beasts. Just like Janson guessed, one of them is a small canine (http://www.cattonpark.co.uk/Animals/Fennec-Fox.jpg). The other animal is a big hairy rodent with long whiskers and yellow eyes, and its wide mouth is full of sharp teeth.

The canine is badly wounded, unable to escape or counterattack effectively. The rodent presses on its attack.

Shademan
2008-03-05, 08:02 AM
" it looks awefully cute and defenceless lads..." Zavulon whispers very fast " i say we surprise it and kill that rodent."

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-05, 08:20 AM
Zavulon goes to take a closer look at the beasts. Just like Janson guessed, one of them is a small canine (http://www.cattonpark.co.uk/Animals/Fennec-Fox.jpg). The other animal is a big hairy rodent with long whiskers and yellow eyes, and its wide mouth is full of sharp teeth.

The canine is badly wounded, unable to escape or counterattack effectively. The rodent presses on its attack.

A quick survey of their options, Ovias learns* that Master Himmerhardt can, in fact, reliably use a knife and happily Zav is carrying a spare.
"We can save that creaturre's life. It is no mountain goat, but I hearr that canines arre rreliable crreaturres - if we arre indeed attacking, I suggest Zav and me charge to trry and scarre the rrat. If it doesn't leave, we can flank it, and maybe attempt to pin that rat thing down. Joe and Masterr Himmerrharrdt can follow up if we arre in trrouble. How is that forr a plan? Whateverr we decide, it must be done quickly - that crreature will not take much longerr"

*OOC: yeah, I cheated and checked out character sheets. Hopefully that is not a problem?

Zed's Dead
2008-03-05, 09:36 AM
Janson Himmerhardt

Zavulon, please loan me your knife.

journeyman
2008-03-05, 10:07 AM
Feln Zekor, Fool rushing in

A bit quicker of body than mind, Feln is already moving toward the cries of pain before his normally good sense can get in the way. "Good plan, I'll get the dog." he manages to call back as he starts running by the others. He digs frantically into his kit as he moves, nearly stumbling several times on the way down. With some effort he finds the two things he's looking for. A bait bundle (raw meat) and the bottle of bitter ointment he uses on the harness leathers to keep the dogs from chewing on them. It's not much of a plan, but he figures if he gives the rat some food it can carry with it, it might be more inclined to run from the others. Similarly, if need be he can splash some of the ointment on himself and the dog to make them less appealing to the RoUS. Assuming nothing stops him, he'll drop the bait and then immediately grab the dog. Once he has the dog he'll back away and use handle animal to try and calm it.

Touch attack to grab the dog [roll0] (if that "unable to escape or counterattack effectively" includes being prone, add +4 to the result)I'm going to assume the dog is incapable of resisting the following grapple and my strength is more than sufficient to carry it.
Handle animal (calm the dog) [roll1]

Edit: Wow the diceroller hates me tonight :smalleek:

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-05, 10:28 AM
Feln Zekor, Fool rushing in

A bit quicker of body than mind, Feln is already moving toward the cries of pain before his normally good sense can get in the way. "Good plan, I'll get the dog." he manages to call back as he starts running by the others.

<Damn all humans and their impulsiveness!> exclaims Ovias watching the fool run unarmed towards the fight. With a loud sigh, Ovias runs through the bushes and, as soon as the rat is in sight, charges towards it, unhappy that their chance at surprise is gone. I might as well do this properly he thinks, and shouts a battle cry which, like many dwarf battle cries, doesn't bother with words. They go straight for emotions in sonic form. In this case, inevitable menace and destruction towards the rat.

Actions:
Scare the rat
1d20
(won't even start to guess what bonuses a screaming, ugly dwarf charging towards you gives to bluff when you are a rat a third his weight - DM will have to call this)
I that doesn't work, charge the rat
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tip of the hat: Terry Pratchett, who I of course totally quoted from in this post (Feet of Clay)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-05, 10:36 AM
Actions:
Scare the rat
1d20
(won't even start to guess what bonuses a screaming, ugly dwarf charging towards you gives to bluff when you are a rat a third his weight - DM will have to call this)

Probably didn't like the '?' Trying again:
[roll1]
Again, the DM will have to decide on any bonuses appropiate, assuming I roll better than I did to attack...

Shademan
2008-03-05, 11:00 AM
Zavulon hands his dagger swiftly to Himmerhand, and...
CHARGES! "KALI!!!" he roars and charges with all his orcish heart!

[roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Zed's Dead
2008-03-05, 08:17 PM
Janson Himmerhardt

The old man raises the knife as if he's done this before. He flashes the knife around wildly and jumps up and down. Simultaneously, he howls loudly at the creature, attempting to make a sound like a wolf.

Hoooooooowwwww! Hoooooooowwwwwww!

Initiative [roll0]
Intimidate [roll1]

storyteller
2008-03-06, 02:40 AM
Your intimidate attempts fail: you must threaten the opponent in melee. For future reference, see the Intimidate skill: Demoralize Opponent.

However, Zav's mighty swing wounds the rodent. The creature withdraws 40' on its turn (Init 13).

Feln attempts to grab the small canine but fails. The injured "dog" doesn't quite like the idea of it and tries to sink its teeth into Feln's hand, but Feln manages to avoid the bite.

OOC: 25 xp everyone for defeating the rodent!

Shademan
2008-03-06, 03:33 AM
shouldve maybe have rolled initiative? [roll0]

Zavulon raises his spear into the air with both hands and shots "KALI!" he looks around abit embarest and mumbles something about orcs

journeyman
2008-03-06, 09:19 AM
Feln Zekor, Bold Hero (What else do you call a fool who survives his stupidity?)

As the rat retreats, Feln slips easily into routine. His trembling hands carefully put away the ointment and he takes a moment to wipe his suddenly sweaty palms on his trousers. Almost mechanically he pulls out a set of heavy leather gloves and a small muzzle. He makes some quick visual measurements and adjusts the muzzle until he thinks it will be a comfortable fit. He often pauses to wipe the cold sweat from his forehead and try to slow his labored breathing. The immediate threat dealt with. he takes his time getting a good grip and puts the muzzle on (take 20, the gloves should be enough to protect him from any further attempts to bite). Once that's done, he'll try to figure out how badly wounded the animal is. [roll0](I think that's usable untrained, not sure though) He plans to carry the "dog" as they continue on (and will restrain it with a harness if necessary). Attempt to calm the animal (Take 10+9, +2 if Janson helps)

"Thanks for the save guys", he says with an apologetic shrug and sheepish look.

Shademan
2008-03-06, 11:46 AM
"so, uh... what do we call him? she... it?"

Zed's Dead
2008-03-06, 12:39 PM
Janson Himmerhardt

OOC:

Your intimidate attempts fail: you must threaten the opponent in melee. For future reference, see the Intimidate skill: Demoralize Opponent.

Thanks.

IC: Janson hands the knife back to he half-orc and examines the little canine closely.
Heal check to determine how injured the pup is:
[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 01:38 PM
Ovias thought for a second about berating the daft human about its recklessness... but then he thought about what any dwarf would do for gold... or mithril... or silver... or iron...

Not able to find a fault in the action, just in its objective, Ovias simply wrote it off to humans having the wrong priorities, but since he knew that already, there was nothing more to gain from it. Besides, the rush of victory surging through his veins made it difficult to be angry. Anyway, he thought, while they're busy with the creature, I might as well take a look around.

Ovias took his time to carefully examine the nearby rockface and search for actual veins, or indications of their presence, as well as cave entrances, hidden or even blocked

Actions: take 20 + 4 on search the rock face and ground

Shademan
2008-03-06, 02:55 PM
"hmm yes, quite touchy scene." Zavulon mumbles and walks over to Grey "but we got ore to find." he whisper to the dwarf and smiles.

Zavulon will take 20 on any checks to find ore. int mod:+1 wis mod:-1

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 03:41 PM
"hmm yes, quite touchy scene." Zavulon mumbles and walks over to Grey "but we got ore to find." he whisper to the dwarf and smiles.

Zavulon will take 20 on any checks to find ore. int mod:+1 wis mod:-1

"The way I see it, frriend Zav, we each have ourr passions. We prreferr the malleable metal orr stone, they prreferr the bites and... ahem... prrocessed food of a small animal. But I am grrateful forr theirr company nonetheless.", Ovias whispers back while carefully hammering the stone wall for hollows and listening for the caracteristics echoes that would be produced

storyteller
2008-03-06, 05:25 PM
Despite its weakened condition, the animal struggles fiercely against Feln's attempts to restrain it. Finally it vomits in the muzzle and passes out. It's badly wounded, that you can tell without a Heal check.

Ovias and Zavulon inspect the nearby rocks. They seem to have some iron content. You can see the cliffs well from here (see also the other exploration thread for a better description. Nothing too exciting has happened there yet, so don't worry about spoilers.)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-06, 05:34 PM
Despite its weakened condition, the animal struggles fiercely against Feln's attempts to restrain it. Finally it vomits in the muzzle and passes out. It's badly wounded, that you can tell without a Heal check.

Ovias and Zavulon inspect the nearby rocks. They seem to have some iron content. You can see the cliffs well from here (see also the other exploration thread for a better description. Nothing too exciting has happened there yet, so don't worry about spoilers.)

After finding traces of iron, Ovias is in his private world of joy, and doesn't even notice the trouble with the animal going on behind him. He uses all his knowledge to try and figure out towards which side the main iron seam would lie, and will recommend to go in that direction. If he is unable to figure out which way is best, he will follow the same route the other group did*

* Their plan was to let the ropes there to make this group's life easier, so I assume it included directions too - although it might get tricky, if we get ahead of them in the exploration... Time paradoxes are fun!

Zed's Dead
2008-03-06, 09:43 PM
Janson Himmerhardt

Janson takes a look at the unconscious creature. He uses some of his water to clean the wound, and he rips a strip off his shirt to make a bandage for it.

Heal check [roll0]

Shademan
2008-03-07, 01:50 AM
Zavulin eagerly follows Ovias and try to help locating the ore. using his pickaxe if needed.

journeyman
2008-03-07, 09:26 AM
Feln Zekor, Male Nurse

Feln rinses out the "dog"'s wounds carefully. "Take care Janson, the bites of rodents often carry disease. The little one will need a proper healer's care soon enough. In the mean, we'll just have to hope for the best. Any thoughts to a name? I favor "Nip" myself."

Heal [roll0]

Once the wounds are clean, Feln leaves Janson to bind the wounds and goes to assist the others.

"Master Dwarf, if you'd share a pebble of your wisdom so I know how to look?" Once Ovias is satisfied he'll recognize the signs, Feln climbs the ropes for a better view. [roll1][roll2] He keeps his eyes peeled for nests as well as ore.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-07, 02:14 PM
Feln Zekor, Male Nurse
"Master Dwarf, if you'd share a pebble of your wisdom so I know how to look?"

"Of courrse, but it is harrdly a dwarven secrret!" Ovias answers, in good humour, "just look for the reddish orre like this one I have herre. You would call it rrust. Few other rrocks look quite like it - some strrange sands arre about all, and I doubt we will find them in this island. Tell you what, just look for anything redish, and if you cannot tell it is irron, scoop as much as you can and brring it back to me to apprraise"

storyteller
2008-03-08, 08:38 AM
The animal (OOC: a fennec fox) is now sleeping, resting in Janson's arms while Feln is looking for iron ore with Zav and Ovias.

Ovias finds traces of iron in the rock face of the cliff as well as any rocks nearby, but it's still too scarce to start smelting efficiently (-5 circumstance penalty to Profession (miner) checks to mine iron ore here). Ovias suspects that an iron vein runs through the cliff, but it may require some work before the vein is exposed.

Before you can start crafting, you'll either have to figure out how to transport the ore to the camp or build your ironworks here. (Artisan's tools and a little RP are required.)

You also find the ropes that Gil's team has left behind for you to use. You notice openings in the wall above the ledge, maybe caves.

Shademan
2008-03-08, 09:25 AM
"maybe we could set up a forge here? wouldnt make transportation of ore any problem." Zavulon wonders out loud.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-08, 06:16 PM
"maybe we could set up a forge here? wouldnt make transportation of ore any problem." Zavulon wonders out loud.

"Before we think about setting up shop, we should rreally trry to find the main vein - trrying to extrract any irron frrom these trraces is going to challenge even my ability to mine. Let me give a trry at that cave up therre. I can feel in my bones that therre is a good amount of orre, if we can only find a way to get at it!"

Ovias then proceeds to use the ropes to climb to the cave, to check it out

Actiosn:
take 10 on rope climbing
search & appraise cave, both for dangers and ore, take 20.

storyteller
2008-03-10, 04:32 PM
Ovias enters the biggest cave, the only one he can fit in. He notices some signs of a recent visit here, probably Epswitch and the boys. This could be a good place to start digging iron. There are many cracks and other narrow openings on the cave walls but they're too small to enter.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-10, 05:53 PM
Ovias enters the biggest cave, the only one he can fit in. He notices some signs of a recent visit here, probably Epswitch and the boys. This could be a good place to start digging iron. There are many cracks and other narrow openings on the cave walls but they're too small to enter.

"Zav, I have found a good point for mining, rright in this cave. Now we need to figurre out how to set up a mining operration up herre, and how to get the irron to the rrefuge, if we arre going to. This "cave" is too shallow to move the camp herre, unfortunately, and expanding probably would take too long. Any ideas?"

OOC: I read somewhere the rules for digging caves. I cannot recall where, though, and after looking for them for a while I cannot find it. I do know it was a certain volume per week. Any ideas?

Shademan
2008-03-11, 05:06 AM
"my guess would be that we would some sorta crane..." Zavulon shouts back. "and perhaps a ladder to lessen the change of a fall by the miner."

OOC: there is something about cranes in the armour and equipment guide, i think a carpenter could make one with a rope and some wood.

journeyman
2008-03-11, 05:39 AM
Feln Zekor, Man Outdoor

The search for ore complete, Feln devotes his full attention to finding any nests, dens, or other signs of animal habitation in the immediate area.
Take 20 on search (Looks like I've got plenty of time and I only need to note the presence of tracks or other clues, not actually follow them. Lack of Survival or Knowledge Nature means I probably can't identify anything or tell how old it is, but I'll take what I can get.)

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-03-11, 08:34 AM
"my guess would be that we would some sorta crane..." Zavulon shouts back. "and perhaps a ladder to lessen the change of a fall by the miner."

OOC: there is something about cranes in the armour and equipment guide, i think a carpenter could make one with a rope and some wood.

"It is metal. A fall frrom the cave is not going to hurrt it. You could just drrop it. It might scatterr a bit, but if you arre going to be mining on yourr own, you will not have anyone to empty the crrane anyway. The prroblem is getting it to camp, I suppose. This place has too many rrats to be good camping, and the cave too shallow to use. My instict tells me to purrify the orre herre, then take purre irron to camp - less useless weight, once you arre rrid of the gang. Howeverr, that would mean building a purrification klin rright herre, which would be unattended forr hourrs everry day."

Actions: Ovias looks around from his high position, to gauge how far they are from the pond, and looks for a nearby source of running water, necesary for any mining attempt. Also, takes some time to expand one of the cracks - is there open spaces beyond them?

Zed's Dead
2008-03-11, 10:05 AM
Janson Himmerhardt

Janson stands guard while the half-orc and dwarf head into the cave.

spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]

storyteller
2008-03-11, 10:26 AM
Feln finds an egg in an abandoned bird's nest. The species is unknown to you, but the egg is about the size that hens lay.

The pond is maybe 2000 ft. away from your current location. (I don't remember exactly how far, but see the map in the IC thread; each square is 500 ft. and you're in the ^ square.) The sea is the closest water source, just 200 ft. from your location.

Ovias incpects the cracks. It may be possible to access other caves through them, but you'd have to spend a few days working with a pickaxe to get through.

OOC: Quest completed! 50 xp everyone! You may now start mining iron, just deal with the transportation/smelting issue in-character. Feln and Janson may attempt to domesticate the two animals as their resource actions. Just wait until the bird hatches :smallsmile:

Zed's Dead
2008-03-11, 10:23 PM
Janson

Feln, you can have either animal you want...or both.

journeyman
2008-03-14, 05:16 AM
Feln Zekor

Still on something of an emotional high from surviving his first real adventure, Feln is momentarily at a loss for words. Eventually though, he manages to stutter out a "Thank you!" He isn't idle for long, within minutes he's put together a leash and harness for the fox and an egg carrier.