PDA

View Full Version : Venomfire

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-03, 01:23 PM
Am I reading this right? Venomfire(Serpent Kingdoms) is a level 3 druid spell that does 1d6 acid damage per caster level, no upper limit, per poison attack. Fleshrakers have 3 poison attacks. So a Druid 19/Beastmaster 1 with Obtain Companion and energy sub/admixture is doing 38d6 damage on each attack, no save, no SR, as are his 3 companions. :smalleek:

Using a third level, hours per level buff and a couple good feats.

Am I wrong? Am I missing something, or is this just one of the more poorly-designed spells made?

Saph
2008-03-03, 01:42 PM
is this just one of the more poorly-designed spells made?

Yes. It's one of the few spells out there that's just utterly stupid, with no redeeming features at all (the only other one I can think of that compares to it is Power Word: Pain). You're generally better off pretending it doesn't exist.

- Saph

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-03, 01:54 PM
The only other one I can think of that compares to it is Power Word: Pain

Please, Saph. PLEASE, take that back, before a storm of posters start harassing you for missing many spells. It won't be a pretty sight.

Saph
2008-03-03, 02:04 PM
Please, Saph. PLEASE, take that back, before a storm of posters start harassing you for missing many spells.

Eh, if they want to argue with each other, they can. :P

Venomfire is just silly. It's one of those spells that makes GMs leery of splatbooks.

- Saph

Person_Man
2008-03-03, 03:10 PM
Venomfire (Serpant Kingdom pg. 158) is indeed a retarded spell.

I'd argue that Power Word Pain (Races of the Dragon pg. 116) is meh. 1d6 damage a round (No Save) for a limited number of rounds is a huge waste of time. Most combats involving a full caster only last 1-5 rounds. So at best, you're slowly dealing 5d6 damage. Really not that big of a deal.