PDA

View Full Version : Base attack bonus

Glorytome
2008-03-03, 06:34 PM
Is there any way for a core class(any) to increase their base attack bonus if he wants to. Are there any feats that would work?

Thinker
2008-03-03, 06:37 PM
Is there any way for a core class(any) to increase their base attack bonus if he wants to. Are there any feats that would work?

The cleric spell Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm) increases your BAB to equal your level, but nothing else comes to mind.

Methabroax
2008-03-03, 06:39 PM
There's no way to increase your base attack with Feats that I know of. Maximum base attack is equal to your character level if you have a full BAB class.

Chronos
2008-03-03, 06:41 PM
The cleric spell Divine Power increases your BAB to equal your level, but nothing else comes to mind.The wizard spell [Tensor's] Transformation does, too, but has significant drawbacks (most notably, you can't cast spells while using it).

KillianHawkeye
2008-03-03, 09:35 PM
Getting a bonus on all attack rolls (not to BAB) is an Epic feat.

Kizara
2008-03-03, 09:40 PM
Getting a bonus on all attack rolls (not to BAB) is an Epic feat.

Well, if all you are after is small bonuses to attack rolls, then Weapon Focus and the like would do it.

Fawsto
2008-03-03, 10:09 PM
There is no way to improve BAB further than your own class level. There is only one class that possess a bizarre BAB eqaul to 1.5 Class level. But it is bizarre, not core, not published by wizards and mostly the work of an excelent writer of stories but horrible rule brewer from my homecountry Brazil.

Never take it on account.

Sir Iguejo
2008-03-04, 02:33 AM
There is no way to improve BAB further than your own class level. There is only one class that possess a bizarre BAB eqaul to 1.5 Class level. But it is bizarre, not core, not published by wizards and mostly the work of an excelent writer of stories but horrible rule brewer from my homecountry Brazil.

Never take it on account.

Could he possibly be Cassaro Paladino?

TheOOB
2008-03-04, 02:43 AM
There are plenty of ways of improving your attack rolls, but there are no permenate ways to improve BAB other then your class bonus. This is because higher BAB's allow a)extra attacks and b)meet feat and PrC prerequisites.

Khanderas
2008-03-04, 03:46 AM
There are plenty of ways of improving your attack rolls, but there are no permenate ways to improve BAB other then your class bonus. This is because higher BAB's allow a)extra attacks and b)meet feat and PrC prerequisites.
Good point, and problebly why he is looking for a way to improve BAB faster then 1 / level. :smallsmile:

Aquillion
2008-03-04, 05:57 AM
It's a pity there's no way to get "BAB recovery" the way there are a few "spellcasting recovery" classes. In Incursion (http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/), a d20-based roguelike, there's a feat that acts a bit like Practiced Spellcaster for BAB -- it recovers some BAB you 'lost' to taking a non-full BAB class, but never to quite what you would have gotten at your level if you'd gone full BAB all the way (and thus, never to or above BAB = level. I think the best you can reach is 5/6ths.)

But I don't think there's anything like that in core.

Rad
2008-03-04, 06:23 AM
It's a pity there's no way to get "BAB recovery" the way there are a few "spellcasting recovery" classes. In Incursion (http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/), a d20-based roguelike, there's a feat that acts a bit like Practiced Spellcaster for BAB -- it recovers some BAB you 'lost' to taking a non-full BAB class, but never to quite what you would have gotten at your level if you'd gone full BAB all the way (and thus, never to or above BAB = level. I think the best you can reach is 5/6ths.)

But I don't think there's anything like that in core.
I'd like to point out that there is nothing like recovering lost caster levels either. Practiced Spellcaster only affects your CL, that is the number you put into spells that you cast and have soe effect that depend on your level, but your level for the purpose of spells per day (which is the important thing) cannot be recovered in any way.

Aquillion
2008-03-04, 01:36 PM
I'd like to point out that there is nothing like recovering lost caster levels either. Practiced Spellcaster only affects your CL, that is the number you put into spells that you cast and have soe effect that depend on your level, but your level for the purpose of spells per day (which is the important thing) cannot be recovered in any way.Technically, there are a few PRCs with double-rate progression that allow you to recover it (things like Ur-Priest, which require wasting levels but are still intended to be full casters overall, or that stupid Beholder Mage PRC.)

And... Incursion's Practiced Spellcaster recovers spell levels, too! But Incursion is written to allow for more easy multiclassing in general... all spellcasting classes work like psionics using spell points, use the same spells known slots, and stack for determining everything related to magic.

Although, to get back to the topic... BAB is closer to CL than spells-per-day. Having a full BAB alone doesn't make a very good class, while full spellcasting is usually absurdly powerful. That's not about magic vs. melee, too; even fighters need a bonus feat every other level.