PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different...

SamTheCleric
2008-03-03, 06:55 PM
Hello.

I'm currently in a campaign with a bunch of friends on a home-brew world created by our DM. I play the character found in my sig and have taken the last two weeks creating back up characters and what not...

The Party make up:
Fighter 12, Warlock 8/Cleric 2 (going for Eldritch Disciple), Wizard/Marshal with a Shadow Sun Ninja cohort, Wizard/Geometer/Fatespinner, Rogue/Ranger/Scout/Highland Stalker
The three I've come up with are:
Swordsage 11 (focus on tiger blade, shadow hand and desert wind maneuvers, two weapon fighter)
Wizard 6/Blood Magus 4/Fleshwarper 1
Fighter 6/Order of the Bow Initiate 5

While these all seem like fun.... I'm just not sold on them. I want something truly unique and a challenge to play both in combat and to roleplay.

What are some ideas you guys have for a very unique character... no build will be thrown aside... I'm willing to consider anything... Besides the following banned books... (No Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Unapproachable East, Savage Species, Sandstorm, Frostburn, Stormwrack, Dragon Magic or Tome of Magic allowed :smallfrown: )

Get crazy!

FlyMolo
2008-03-03, 07:04 PM
Hmmm.

If you want to play something that meshes well, you have a couple options. You could use another meatshield, or something that meshes well with a caster.

Meatshield: Psychic Warrior or fighter with wild talent/War mind. Pick up cleave and great cleave and use sweeping strike to kill everything you come across. Manifesting too. And full BAB, I think. If you want some cheese, pick up some extra arms somehow(thri-keen is good, and you get a power point reserve for War Mind). and a spiked chain(or three)

Not meatshield: Warlock/spellthief/ season with rogue to taste. But you already have a sneaky sneaker, so play up the spellthieving and invoking-the-eldritch-forces. Use your eldritch blast with some fun blast essence invocations, or pick up darkness and always be hidden. That's fun. Use beshadowed blast to blind them, swap SA for some spellthieving, throw spells around like there's no tomorrow. This is a build I've always wanted to try. (well, both of these.)

Keld Denar
2008-03-03, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and throw out my Paladin4/Crusader1/RKV10/Pal2/Crusader3 build. Its a lot of fun to play (I'm currently level 12 and its all grown up!)

Feats of Note:
Battle Blessing (quicken paladin spells CChamp)
Travel Devotion (move as a swift action)
Power Attack (Duh!)
Divine Might (yay Cha!)
Extra Granted Maneuver (great)

Weapon: Any 2hander

SamTheCleric
2008-03-03, 07:19 PM
Where would I find War Mind?

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-03-03, 07:23 PM
A half-ogre rogue with Vow of Poverty and maxed Charisma whose memories were altered by tieflings as part of their evil plot to destroy all gnomes.

Hey, you said you wanted something different.

FlyMolo
2008-03-03, 08:08 PM
Where would I find War Mind?

Expanded Psionics Handbook, I think. or here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm)

One of the coolest gish PrCs out there, I think. Gives DR, a rage-like ability that lasts longer than brb rage, and DR. plus AC boosts. But the capstone ability, while cool, is not that effective.

However, 70 pp plus bonus points for a high wisdom? not to be sneezed at... Up to 5th level psychic warrior powers, i.e. most of them. Expansion, True Venom, some other fun stuff. Strength of my enemy against bosses. Hurt them, help you. And if they have annoying minions by their side, deal str damage to the boss, kill the minion, get a cleave attempt, repeat with a different minion. Then use your next highest iterative attack and so on and so forth. I wanna play one of these now...

streakster
2008-03-03, 08:19 PM
Aberrant Druid.

Be a druid, take the feats from Lords Of Madness and be a druid that turns into freeeaky things.

Pixie Warlock.

An eeevil pixie. Don't take the route most do, and do the whole reluctant/cursed deal - have a pixie that revels in dark power. Deliver speeches about feasting on enemy souls in a high, squeaky voice.

Elothar Warrior of Bladereach, or Monitor, from here. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=659653)

Monitor's probably the most unique of all these. A combination of Marvin, a fish-man, and Jackie Chan.

EDIT: Oooh, ooh! Demon Lawyer! Here. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=646241) Look for barrister of the nine.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-03, 08:29 PM
Deliver speeches about feasting on enemy souls in a high, squeaky voice.

This made me laugh. A lot. :smallbiggrin:

Paul H
2008-03-03, 09:07 PM
Hi

Here's 2 concepts I've always wanted to play......

1) Clr 3/ Warlock2/Eldritch Disciple.....
Use those Extra Turning attempts to convert Eldritch into Healing blasts. Even better with Eldritch Chain! (And good spell/turn undead progression)

2) Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant. (Truly broken mix)!
Full spell progress (read text not table). Add domain spells/powers to your spell list. Detect Evil/Chaos at will. Grow wings.
Plus.....
Add All Cleric Spells to Spells Known at 10th lvl Servant!!!!
And for the truly broken just add...
Be True Neut. follower of Ffarlaghn, with Arcane Disciple Travel & Celerity. (Blur, Haste, Dim. Door, Teleport to name a few....) :smallbiggrin:

Open up combat with Leomund's Tiny Hut (read spell decription for why), then let rip with Dispel Evil, Fireballs, etc. They shouldn't know what hit them!
(Tenser's Floating Disk & LTH taken at 3rd & 6th lvl Advanced Learning).

Cheers
Paul H
Edit: Originally typed 'Warlock/Rainbow... by mistake.

LibraryOgre
2008-03-03, 09:22 PM
2) Warlock 6/Rainbow Servant. (Truly broken mix)!
Full spell progress (read text not table). Add domain spells/powers to your spell list. Detect Evil/Chaos at will. Grow wings.
Plus.....
Add All Cleric Spells to Spells Known at 10th lvl Servant!!!!

How do you make the 3rd level arcane spells casting requirement?

SamTheCleric
2008-03-03, 09:33 PM
Well, as we already have a warlock/eldritch disciple... i'd like to stay away from that.

Rainbow Servants have always intrigued me.

Paul H
2008-03-03, 09:39 PM
How do you make the 3rd level arcane spells casting requirement?

Hi

Oops - meant Warmage/Rainbow Servant.
(Typing at 2.00 am.....)

Cheers
Paul H

The_Snark
2008-03-03, 09:44 PM
I believe he meant Warmage, not Warlock, and it is indeed a good choice at higher levels. (At low levels, you're a low-level Warmage, which isn't really very good.)

Although I'm pretty sure that the class was meant to lose those caster levels, and that the text is in error rather than the table. Was never errata'd, though, so your DM is free to rule either way.

It also works with beguiler and dread necromancer, although a beguiler or dread necromancer servant of couatls is pretty strange.

togapika
2008-03-03, 09:51 PM
Warblade who uses unarmed attacks with lots of Diamond Mind maneuvers.

streakster
2008-03-03, 09:58 PM
Warblade who uses unarmed attacks with lots of Diamond Mind maneuvers.

A Warforged Warblade!

"Puny hu-mans. War-forged are su-per-ior."

Don't have him admit that he's using Diamond Mind Maneuvers - just have him claim that all the things he does are because he's better than than everyone else. Find someone with that sense stance? "War-forged sen-ses are su-per-ior." Dodge with Black Pearl? "War-forged are faster than puny hu-mans."

togapika
2008-03-03, 10:19 PM
A Warforged Warblade!

"Puny hu-mans. War-forged are su-per-ior."

Don't have him admit that he's using Diamond Mind Maneuvers - just have him claim that all the things he does are because he's better than than everyone else. Find someone with that sense stance? "War-forged sen-ses are su-per-ior." Dodge with Black Pearl? "War-forged are faster than puny hu-mans."

Except Change "Puny Humans" to "Fleshy Meatbags" so it covers all races

Parvum
2008-03-03, 10:35 PM
This post is purely for the purpose of reminding you that you should always be specific. In this case, try to mention that you want something mildly effective. These are all of my favourites:

Irony Hunter (Simple. An illithid illithid hunter. A bit of a cheap shot to make angst with an easy excuse. Name him Dagr (Day-ur). 2 points if you get the reference.)

Gibbering Mouther Bard (Self explanatory. Requires some monster fiddling, but who can resist Perform (Choir)?)

Clueless-Toa (A kuo-toa druid with the shapeshifter variant, and a bit of a penalty to Knowledge (nature). Predator form: ostrich. Flying form: dire humingbird. Ferocious slayer? Walrus. Actual element (bromine, mercury) elemental forms. And for forest avenger? DOOMDELION!)

Stirge Blood Mage (Hemophobic, of course.)

Gelatinous Cube Rogue (...Yes. Just yes.)

Ogre Wizard (Int 3. Do this only if your fellow players can't actually harm you physically.)

Kenny (Chaotic Evil Commoner)

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-03, 10:36 PM
Ah, the ever-classic Warforged dislike for the ways of the flesh. Don't forget to complain about lost time when the others stop to eat or rest. If a good opportunity to mock them comes up, be sure to take it.
As an example, if the rest of the party has managed to get a fun disease that basically ends with them becoming mindless cannibals, pretend to eat stuff in a highly exaggerated fashion.
((I was very much tempted to do this at one point, but decided against it, although I may decide to start drifting him in that direction if the opportunity presents itself.))

Animefunkmaster
2008-03-03, 10:51 PM
If you want to try something odd, try a tibit (Dragon Compendium) Warlock.

A little kitty that shoots lazers out of it's eyes. Can also go the evil route.

streakster
2008-03-03, 11:36 PM
If you want to try something odd, try a tibit (Dragon Compendium) Warlock.

A little kitty that shoots lazers out of it's eyes. Can also go the evil route.

"I CAN HAZ SOULS, PLIZ?" "CAN IT BE DOOM TIEM NOW PLZ?" Whenever you use the shatter invocation, "INVISIBAL HAMMER!". When you fly, "INVISIBAL PLAIN!"

Yes, yes, yes. A Lolcat Warlock.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 07:19 AM
I think I'd get banned from the table for doing that.

But it may be worth it.

Iku Rex
2008-03-04, 08:03 AM
"I CAN HAZ SOULS, PLIZ?" "CAN IT BE DOOM TIEM NOW PLZ?" Whenever you use the shatter invocation, "INVISIBAL HAMMER!". When you fly, "INVISIBAL PLAIN!"

Yes, yes, yes. A Lolcat Warlock.http://i25.tinypic.com/axkxd.jpg

Crazy Scot
2008-03-04, 08:18 AM
Well, since you say you are open to all suggestions, try these two ideas on for size. Both of them are character ideas that I have been picking around, but haven't had the opportunity to play out yet. Use if you wish...

1. Kobold Druid (NG). See if you can take two flaws at 1st level, and get Dragonwrought, Dragon Tail and Dragon Wings. These would make you a dragon at 1st level, and allow you some flying capabilities. If you take the Improved Flight feat later you can get full flight capabilities. I would also suggest taking the Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty feats from BoED (at 3rd and 6th level respectively). These will give you bonus feats and some other handy abilities. The best of these abilities will be an Exalted bonus to AC (effectively an Armor bonus) and a bonus to all attacks and damage. With the right buff spells you could eventually get up to 11 natural attacks all with the bonus to hit and damage. Also, if you go VoP, you can take the alternate class features from PHBII (I believe) where you sacrifice your armor proficiencies (no big deal since you can't own any anyway) and your wildshape class features (use polymorph later if you really need it), and for that you gain the monk's fast movement capability, monk's bonus to AC (Wisdom and regular bonus), a ranger's favored enemies, the Track feat, and the ranger's swift tracking capability all based off of your Druid level. With the right feat from BoED (Intuitive Attack) you can now use one ability score (Wisdom) to affect your spellcasting capabilities, your to hit modifier, and your AC. Have you guessed which ability score to bump up the most yet? I would also eventually take the multiattack and improved multiattack feats which would reduce the penalties on your secondary natural attacks to -2 and to 0 (respectively).

2. Warforged Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade. This is a meatshield/mass warfare build, but a fun one that could run all day long and not stop. I don't have the ToB book in front of me, so I am doing most of this by memeory. You would have to take several feats to get the prerequisite abilities for Bloodstorm Blade. I would recommend going with the "Blood in the Water" (Tiger Claw) stance, and I believe you need a Tiger Claw maneuver as well. If you go this route, get a good two-handed weapon with the "distance" ability and "keen"/Improved Critical. I would recommend going with the best 18-20/x2 two-handed weapon you can get your hands on. The true power of this build comes out at 15th level when you can attack everything within range (150') once per round. And if you are using the "Blood in the Water" stance, every time you score a critical hit (15-20/x2 => plenty of opportunities) you get an untyped +1 to hit and damage (which stacks with itself), you would soon be unstoppable. If your DM allows you to count attacks against innanimate objects (walls, towers, balista, etc) your number of attacks you can make only goes up from there. Even in a small encounter you would average threatening a critical on about 1 out of 3 hits, and by allowing you to add your Int modifier to your confirmation rolls (Warblade class feature) your ability to confirm only goes up even more. Being Warforged, you can run non-stop day and night as long as you have some way of healing and you also get a good handful of immunities and other abilities. And to top it all off, if you are going to be doing some mass-warfare, I would suggest taking the following feats: Power Attack (PHB), Combat Expertise (PHB), and Improved Combat Expertise (CWar). With these abilities, you could take penalties to hit up to your BAB and get a equal bonus to your AC and a double bonus to your damage, but with the "Blood in the Water" ability, the bonus to hit from that should more than cover the loss (double your BAB). You could also slowly build into this round by round as you boost your bonus to hit and damage if the build-up is going slow.

Well, like I said at the top, these are two builds that I have not had the opportunity to play yet, but would love to get my hands on. Use them if you wish, and if you do, please tell me how they work out. Enjoy!

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 08:22 AM
I don't know if warforged are allowed... the DM may still consider them Eberron only... but I'll check.

As for the druid... I have always wanted a kobold.

Lots of good suggestions, keep em coming... I've got at least 2 weeks before I need a secondary to "braclet of friends" into existence. :)

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-04, 08:46 AM
Paladin Of Righteous Nudity (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4579)

This was a Tournament Character I made. The basic principle can be explanded upon pretty easily though and heavily modified, since I was maxing out Touch AC and saves.

The basics though are a Nymph Paladin. Right off the bat you are looking at +8 CHA, (CHA Mod x2) to all saves, and casting as a 7th level Druid. f course you would be like 13th level with just one level of Paladin. :smallyuk:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-04, 09:25 AM
Paladin Of Righteous Nudity (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4579)

This was a Tournament Character I made. The basic principle can be explanded upon pretty easily though and heavily modified, since I was maxing out Touch AC and saves.

The basics though are a Nymph Paladin. Right off the bat you are looking at +8 CHA, (CHA Mod x2) to all saves, and casting as a 7th level Druid. f course you would be like 13th level with just one level of Paladin. :smallyuk:
I'm curious as to how you did this build, but you don't seem to have made the sheet public.

Also, I support lolcat warlocks, but the Paladin/Crusader/RKV build further above should be a pretty effective healer/tank, which your party could use.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-04, 10:04 AM
I'm curious as to how you did this build, but you don't seem to have made the sheet public.

Also, I support lolcat warlocks, but the Paladin/Crusader/RKV build further above should be a pretty effective healer/tank, which your party could use.

Whoops, sorry. It's public now! (You'd think a naked Paladin wouldn't be bashful. :smallbiggrin: )

My other suggestion would, no doubt, be disallowed. I also can't seem to find his digital sheet or original build notes. Suffice to say though he was a human bard/marshal/exemplar, basically a Diplomancer (and where I coined the named Mr. Friendly for myself; I came here looking for advice - I didn't actually get any. :smalltongue: But I managed to make him a gamebreaker anyway) as a side bonus he used Slippers of Battledancing, Snowflake Wardance and Iajutsu Focus to such great effect that the party Samurai and Wu-Jen were very depressed.

Person_Man
2008-03-04, 10:10 AM
I noticed that you're at exactly ECL 11. That's the perfect level for a Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10 (formerly Paladin 11 - if you have 11 or more Paladin levels when you fall, you can trade up to 10 of them in for Blackguard levels). So you end up with full BAB, 4th level spells, and the full compliment of ECL 16ish powers five levels early. This will give you a really high degree of power, flexibility, and fluff. I'm particularly fond of playing Lawful Evil PCs - honest, loyal to a fault, respectful of power, insistent on following legitimate authority/laws, but with a cold black heart, no illusions about hope or justice, no pity for the weak, and no qualms about killing.

This also has the benefit of being a simple and purely core build - though obviously you should look at the expansions for all of the excellent Blackguard spells out there, and another PrC to go into for when you level up.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-04, 11:23 AM
Whoops, sorry. It's public now! (You'd think a naked Paladin wouldn't be bashful. :smallbiggrin: )

My other suggestion would, no doubt, be disallowed. I also can't seem to find his digital sheet or original build notes. Suffice to say though he was a human bard/marshal/exemplar, basically a Diplomancer (and where I coined the named Mr. Friendly for myself; I came here looking for advice - I didn't actually get any. :smalltongue: But I managed to make him a gamebreaker anyway) as a side bonus he used Slippers of Battledancing, Snowflake Wardance and Iajutsu Focus to such great effect that the party Samurai and Wu-Jen were very depressed.
You know there's no mechanical reason for her to not be wearing light armor. Although that should give a circumstance penalty to the enemy's save on Blinding Beauty...anyway, have you considered working Vow of Poverty into the build?

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-04, 12:10 PM
You know there's no mechanical reason for her to not be wearing light armor. Although that should give a circumstance penalty to the enemy's save on Blinding Beauty...anyway, have you considered working Vow of Poverty into the build?

Yeah, I considered it, but she was built for a Core +PH2+XPH only tournament, so that was the best I had.

Mechanically, yeah, she *could* wear clothing. I found it more entertaining though to make her this way. There is just something deliciously hilarious about a Paladin, whom one would normally think of as a chaste and generally asexual sort, who is a nyphette who had flavorful methods of "converting" people to her side. :smallbiggrin:

Or blinding them and bashing their brains in.

She did win the "best in show" catagory and had two of the other tournament participants not been cheating, might have had a viable chance at winning.

Doglord
2008-03-04, 12:14 PM
Paladin/rogue

The universe will collapse in on itself.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-03-04, 08:24 PM
If you're not sold on any of the incredibly entertaining ideas presented already, you could try any of the bending classes in my sig, especially earthbender if you're generally sticking to the material plane. Can't match a wizard for power or cheese, but there's something satisfying about designing a "spell" on the spot that ends with "Rocks fall, everyone else dies"