PDA

View Full Version : Item help?

Admiral Squish
2008-03-03, 10:19 PM
Right, I'm playing an ECL 16 xill rogue. You might have heard this before. I bought all my essentials, already, and I still have 10k free. Any recommendations for some good things for me to buy? Here's a list of things I have:

Backpack
Rod of Ropes
Ring of Force Shield
Ring of Chameleon Power
Ring of Protection +5
Cloak of Comfort +5
Gloves of Dexterity +6
Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Boots of Striding and Springing
Bracers of armor +5
Amulet of Mighty Fists +3
Journal (100 pages)
Inkpen
Ink (Black, red, blue, and green)
Theive's tools

This is my first high-level campaign, so I really don't know what sort of items I should be buying. Help!

Shades of Gray
2008-03-03, 10:26 PM
Probably a bag of holding and random utility items. Don't forget, as a rogue you can use wands and scrolls, so don't hesitate.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-04, 09:24 AM
Trade the backpack for a Handy Haversack. Much more versatile. You can never have too much extra-dimensional storage space.

And buy a potion or two, just to be safe.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 09:26 AM
Is there a reason you don't have a magic weapon? o_O

kamikasei
2008-03-04, 09:31 AM
Is there a reason you don't have a magic weapon? o_O

At a guess, "Amulet of Mighty Fists +3".

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 09:32 AM
Oh. How did I not see that?

That's it eyes, you've betrayed me for the last time...

*gouge*

EDIT: Speaking of that. Goggles of Minute Seeing. 1250 gp, +5 Search Check. Not bad for a rogue.

SilentNight
2008-03-04, 09:33 AM
Make your bracers of armor only a +4 and then use the extra cash to buy a monk's belt since you don't have armor. This will let you apply your wis bonus to ac and make up for the +1 you lost on the bracers. And masterwork thieves tools. It's only 100gp more. That's all for now.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 09:35 AM
Any reason to have more than two rings? Sell two of them, or sell all four and get someone to craft you more powerful rings that do everything you need them to do.

I'd also recommend a belt of magnificence in place of the gloves of dexterity to make room for the gauntlets of ogre power.

And when that's done, buy as many Belts of Battle as you can. Only use them when you are going to go overkill, though.

I'd also recommend some kind of robe or vest.

SilentNight
2008-03-04, 09:40 AM
I was going to say belt of battle but I couldn't remember how much they were. Maybe a vest of resistance.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-04, 09:41 AM
Belt of Battle is 11K.

Burley
2008-03-04, 09:41 AM
Okay, this is gonna be really unhelpful...So, sorry, but I can't remember the name of it...
If you look through the Magic Item Compendium, I swear there is an item that gives you extra SA dice...I can't remember the name though. It was kinda random...I think...
If I'm completely wrong, and that item doesn't exist, somebody can slap me. Only one person, though...All others will provoke an AoO.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 09:45 AM
There's also an item in the MIC that's named, I believe, Cornucopia of Yondalla, or something. You roll a dice to see which kind of fruit it generates each day, and it works for anyone (And gives such things as a fruit that gives Heroes Feast, or casts Heal). Really useful stuff, I recommend it.

AmberVael
2008-03-04, 09:48 AM
Wait, here's a good idea.
You're high level.
You can't fly.
There will be flying enemies.
Get a ranged magic weapon.
If you don't, you'll be completely and utterly useless when you come across something that can fly when you can't. It's a bad feeling to sit around and play poker while the rest of the team contributes.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 09:51 AM
Good idea. A ring of Fly or overland Flight will be extra-extra-extra-extra-extra useful. That, or be prepped to rely on your party wizard casting overland flight on you.

SilentNight
2008-03-04, 10:05 AM
Remember people, he's only got 10 grand to spend. Also the cornucopia of Yondalla is a relic so at the very least he would have to waste a feat and worship Yondalla who is not a typical deity for xill.

its_all_ogre
2008-03-04, 10:12 AM
you have gloves of dex and gauntlets of ogre power......how is this going to work?

AmberVael
2008-03-04, 10:26 AM
you have gloves of dex and gauntlets of ogre power......how is this going to work?

Let me direct you to a picture of a xill.
This is a xill. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG259b.jpg)
Note that xill have four arms.
Presumably his DM rules that he can automatically wield multiple items due to his extra limbs, or he has taken the appropriate feat.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-04, 02:16 PM
Let me direct you to a picture of a xill.
This is a xill. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG259b.jpg)
Note that xill have four arms.
Presumably his DM rules that he can automatically wield multiple items due to his extra limbs, or he has taken the appropriate feat.

She got it. I'm allowed four rings, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of bracers and all the other normal slots.

I don't see a need for a bag of holding of any sort, since I don't have pretty much anything I'm not wearing. If I find too much to carry, planewalk should be enough to net me two or three trips.

For ranged, how does two composite longbows with strength bonus of five sound? Both would be +1 for that /magic DR.

Although planewalk actually would let me move up... I'm thinking planewalk, move up, planewalk back and land on the sod. That's probably sneak attack damage right there.

I'm debating, though. Maybe I should switch from claw attacks to daggers or something. Though that would mostly negate my improved grab, though.

streakster
2008-03-04, 02:29 PM
My friend, everyone needs a bag of holding, a Handy Haversack, or a portable hole. Everyone. When you find a stack of gold statues - or an armory full of magic weapons - or what have you, you'll thank your stars you have it. Besides, where are you keeping your rope, grappling hook, ladder, 10-foot poles, canvas, battering ram, shovel, pick, sledge hammer, barrel, light sources, bed roll, blanket, tent, and all the other items that a DnD character can't live without? Magic items are nice, but mundane items cost almost nothing and are indispensable sometimes. Get Masterwork tools of whatever skills you'll be using as well - 50gp for a +2 to skill checks? Yes, please! Dungeonscape has a lot more cool mundane items, all of which I reccomend.

EDIT: Oil, acid, explosives, piton, spike, paper, parchment, signet ring, ink...

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 02:42 PM
that's the beauty of the Cornucopia of the Needy, Vael. You only need to be Lawful Good, LN, or Neutral Good to use it. It only gives you MORE bang for the buck if you are a servant of the Dedicated Matriarch.

And here's what it can do:

Produce an apple that Heals you, as per the spell.

Give you a Heroes feast for up to 12 chars.

Get a break enchantment Tangerine.

Get a strawberry that gives you 25 SR for 5 rounds.

Give you a cherry that grants Death war for 12 minutes.

Give you a peach that grants divine power for 10 minutes. Monkey steals the peach!

Give you a lemon that neutralizes poison for 2 hours.

And all that for 6000 bucks! It's one of the best items out there, that's for sure. And IF, by chance, you worship Yondalla, you can get up to five fruits from it.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-04, 02:47 PM
My friend, everyone needs a bag of holding, a Handy Haversack, or a portable hole. Everyone. When you find a stack of gold statues - or an armory full of magic weapons - or what have you, you'll thank your stars you have it. Besides, where are you keeping your rope, grappling hook, ladder, 10-foot poles, canvas, battering ram, shovel, pick, sledge hammer, barrel, light sources, bed roll, blanket, tent, and all the other items that a DnD character can't live without? Magic items are nice, but mundane items cost almost nothing and are indispensable sometimes. Get Masterwork tools of whatever skills you'll be using as well - 50gp for a +2 to skill checks? Yes, please! Dungeonscape has a lot more cool mundane items, all of which I reccomend.

EDIT: Oil, acid, explosives, piton, spike, paper, parchment, signet ring, ink...

My solutions, in order: rod of ropes, rod of ropes, rod of ropes, rod of ropes, no need, +5 str bonus, claws, claws, +5 strength bonus, no need, darkvision 60, I don't sleep, I don't sleep, I don't sleep, no need, claws and +5 strength bonus, claws and +5 strength bonus, no need, no need, journal, journal, inkpen, the four kinds of ink already up there.

That, respectively, is why I don't need the items you speak of. Oh, and masterwork tool is inferior to 12 skill points/level.

streakster
2008-03-04, 03:01 PM
My solutions, in order: rod of ropes, rod of ropes, rod of ropes, rod of ropes, no need, +5 str bonus, claws, claws, +5 strength bonus, no need, darkvision 60, I don't sleep, I don't sleep, I don't sleep, no need, claws and +5 strength bonus, claws and +5 strength bonus, no need, no need, journal, journal, inkpen, the four kinds of ink already up there.

That, respectively, is why I don't need the items you speak of. Oh, and masterwork tool is inferior to 12 skill points/level.

Sorry about that - I missed the unique race there. Still, I'll stand by Bags of Holding or substitute for every character. Looting still holds true, and you still need could use some of the random junk I put up. 10 foot poles (which a rod of ropes is not a substitute for) and their ilk are your MacGuyver tools. Masterwork tools just makes those skill checks even easier, and cost relatively nothing. Besides, as has been said, you can never have enough storage space. I guess it's just playing style - I prefer to have huge amounts of stuff with me to deal with anything that happens.

Megafly
2008-03-04, 03:47 PM
I'd say, ditch the Striding and Springing, and get winged boots.

you may need to find more money, but having a 60 flight move is worth it

AmberVael
2008-03-04, 04:30 PM
For ranged, how does two composite longbows with strength bonus of five sound? Both would be +1 for that /magic DR.
That would work nicely.

Although planewalk actually would let me move up... I'm thinking planewalk, move up, planewalk back and land on the sod. That's probably sneak attack damage right there.
While it is a tactic that would work, it's not nearly as versatile and handy as actually being able to fly. What if you fall? Not fun. If you do want to go with this tactic, get a ring of feather fall.

I'm debating, though. Maybe I should switch from claw attacks to daggers or something. Though that would mostly negate my improved grab, though.
Probably not worth it, if only because of cost. Improved grab is really really nice, too.

And I agree with Megafly. Winged boots are very handy.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-04, 04:50 PM
Another thing: My xill worships a love goddess, and, sadly, he's bright red with four arms, and a racial reputation for laying eggs in people. So far, he has yet to get lucky, which makes him sad. Unfortunately, an item of use-activated/continuous polymorph is a little out of his range, and alter self is restricted to his own type. Does anyone have the slightest hint of how much it would cost to get an item that would turn him into a human for some decent length of time? (half an hour or more)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 05:04 PM
You could always use disguise self or Glibness, or illusions. Or scrolls, but maybe that's too much of a one shot.

BTW, imagining a SPECIALLY bright red Xill that worships a love goddess seems, for some reason, hilarious.

PS: You might want to take the Player (pronounced Playah) idiosyncrasy, if you have 17 CHA or more. Works like a charm.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-04, 05:17 PM
You could always use disguise self or Glibness, or illusions. Or scrolls, but maybe that's too much of a one shot.

BTW, imagining a SPECIALLY bright red Xill that worships a love goddess seems, for some reason, hilarious.

PS: You might want to take the Player (pronounced Playah) idiosyncrasy, if you have 17 CHA or more. Works like a charm.

Disguise self allows for a will save, if you interact (which I hope to), and does nothing about the extra arms.

And I only have 10 cha. Plus, it's not a 'I'm gonna screw everything that walks', it's a 'I hope someday to truly love and be loved in return, but for the moment, I seek some fleeting intimacy with another intelligent being'.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 05:27 PM
My response as a DM would be:

"Roll an Outwit the Multiverse skill check. Apply full modifiers".

As a player:

"Man, I better hope you're a GRAND roleplayer. And remember, no LARP'ing!"