2008-03-03, 11:01 PM
Birthday Golem
Medium Contruct
HD: 19d12+10 (133)
Speed: 20ft. (4 squares)
Init: +0
AC: 25 (+0 Dex, +15 natural armour)
BAB: +14/+9/+4; Grp: +23
Attack: Slam +23 melee (2d8+9 plus candles)
Full-Attack: 2 slams +23 melee (2d8+9 plus candles)
Space: 5ft.; Reach: 5ft.
Special Attacks: Candles
Special Qualities: Birthday wish, candles, construct traits, damage reduction 15/adamantine and piercing or bludgeoning, darkvision 60ft., fast healing, immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +6
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 10, Con –, Int –, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: –
Feats: –
Environment: Strange parties
Organization: Solitary, 2-4 (Banquet), 5-16 (Confectionary)
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 1+ HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: –

A mass of confectionary sugar and frosting lurches menacingly towards you. As it shambles closer, you can see nineteen colourful wax candles poking out of it at all angles, all aflame.

Combat

Birthday Wish (Sp): Anybody that successfully blows out all of a birthday golem’s candles in one attempt (see Candles, below) receives the effect of a wish spell for the next phrase they say. The birthday golem must have all of its candles lit prior to the attempt to grant this wish. A birthday golem can only grant one wish per year.

Candles (Ex): The distinguishing feature of a birthday golem is the 19 lit candles that adorn it. On a successful slam attack, the golem deals additional fire damage equal to the number of currently lit candles. As a swift action, a birthday golem can relight 1d6 candles.

As a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, a birthday golem can fan the flames of its candles into a cone. This cone has a range equal to 5ft. x the number of lit candles, and deals 1d4 fire damage per lit candle. Anybody in the cone can make a Reflex saving throw (DC 27) for half damage. The save DC is Strength-based.

A character can blow out a birthday golem’s candles as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. Upon a successful melee touch attack, the character can blow out a number of candles equal to 1d20 + his Constitution modifier.

Fast Healing (Ex): A birthday golem regains hp at the beginning of its turn each round equal to the number of candles currently lit.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A birthday golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against it, as described below.

A gust of wind works like a ranged attempt to blow out a birthday golem’s candles, and thus requires a ranged touch attack. A gust of wind blows out 1d20 candles (the caster does not add their Constitution modifier to the magical wind). A caster cannot receive a birthday wish from blowing out candles with a gust of wind.

Any spell with the [Fire] descriptor relights all of a Birthday Golem's candles, and improves its natural armour bonus by the spell level of the effect for 10 minutes. If it is targetted by another fire effect in this time, the effects do not stack; only the highest natural armour bonus applies.

[hr]

Advancement: A birthday golem can have any number of Hit Dice, but is always Medium size. It always has one candle per Hit Die.

Construction: A birthday golem is sculpted from 2 tons of chocolate, flour, milk, eggs, sugar, and sprinkles. In addition, the caster must provide the candles, which must be anointed and prepared with expensive tinctures and admixtures costing at least 8,000 gp per candle. Assembling the body requires a DC 20 Profession (chef) check.

CL 18th; Craft Construct, continual flame, create food and drink, geas/quest, limited wish, wish, caster must be at least 18th level; Price 10,000 gp/candle; Cost 8,000 gp/candle + 5300 XP + 320 XP/candle.

[hr]

So, uh, yeah. It’s my birthday! I’m being sneaky and posting it in here instead of Friendly Banter, since this is... the only place I post.

RTGoodman
2008-03-03, 11:14 PM
Happy Birthday!

Since it's sort of tradition 'round these parts:
http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

Seems good to me, with just a few things. First, does anything bad happen if all the candles are blown out?

Second, I think it'd be cool for any [Fire] spells and effects that that affect the Birthday Golem to relight some candles and maybe give it an increase in natural armor (since it's getting burnt on the outside) sort of like the Calzone Golem in the "What's Cooking" adventure over on the WotC website.

For treasure, I think it'd be funny for it to die and melt away leaving 1d4 items from the minor wondrous items list or something (as birthday presents!).

Finally, for the CR, I think it works as-is, but if you decrease the HD and candles, it'll screw with that. I'd almost suggest making an 8 or 10 HD version as the minimum.

AugustNights
2008-03-03, 11:24 PM
Constructs can't have regeneration, they can have fast healing though.

I like it though it's interesting.

I personally would like to see a way to progress the golem from HD 5 to any number.

Imagine this scenerio, The Epic Wizard Elf, now 165 years old, receives a birthday gift. A large cake with 165 candles... roll initiative.

Stycotl
2008-03-03, 11:25 PM
cool stuff, though i would like to see it huge size, just for the amplification of that first moment of complete bewilderment.

Kellus
2008-03-03, 11:37 PM
Heh. You can make it whatever Hit Die and candle size you like, using rules for advancing monsters in the Monster Manual; reducing them works just like that, but in reverse. I used 19 candles 'cause I'm 19 now. :smallsmile:

Excellent call on the fire effects, that's been added. Regeneration has been switched with fast healing, as I forgot the whole no Con thing. As for larger size, I think it's enough of a stretch to imagine blowing out all the candles on a cake monster the size of a person. Blowing out all the candles on a cake the size of a semi or larger in 6 seconds seems a little implausible. :smallamused:

Thunderbuckets
2008-03-04, 12:53 AM
You left organization empty. I can't imagine anyone ever putting two of these things in a room together, but my vote goes for

Organization: Solo, 2-3 (Banquet), 4-16 (Confectionary)

It reminds me of the Giant's Gingerbread Golem, a little. Take a page from that book and have fire spells also affect it with slow? Stale pastry don't move too well. On that note, I think that there's more fun to be had with magical spell effects. Purify Food and Drink for one.

Finally, I think bite attacks should automatically overcome its damage reduction. :smallsmile: Happy Birthday!

Grey Watcher
2008-03-04, 01:51 AM
Did this make anyone else think of that time you have to fight the wedding cake in Super Mario RPG?

Fiery Diamond
2008-03-06, 01:07 AM
EXCELLENT!
I absolutely LOVE this! I think I'm gonna throw a low level one of these at my party...

-Fiery Diamond