PDA

View Full Version : Need Karaoke suggestions for the the singing impaired.

evisiron
2008-03-04, 02:23 AM
Hi

Basically I hope to be going to a karaoke bar in the near future, but lack any kind of singing voice. The few other times I have stuck to stuff requiring no singing ability (Limp Bizkit for example).

So I was wondering, what other songs can be done without a decent singing voice?

If you want to check availability, here is the link to the song list:
http://www.crewkaraoke.com/index2.html

reorith
2008-03-04, 02:27 AM
take advantage of a couple of the various drink offers and you should be set. avril lavigne's music is pretty easy.

Brickwall
2008-03-04, 02:35 AM
It's karaoke. Nobody expects you to be stellar. Here's what you do.

Find a song. Any one you can listen to on your own time.
Listen once.
Sing along the next time.
If you match it mostly without making a weird sound, it's fine. Also, do a song with the right gender part. And no Michael Jackson or Guns n' Roses or any other male singer with a high voice. I assume, as a man, you are an Alto or lower voice. Any male part that doesn't sound excessively high should be fine.

Lighten up. It's a bar, people are drunk and making asses of themselves. Don't take it so seriously.

evisiron
2008-03-04, 02:44 AM
Just to nip this in the bud before too many "don't worry, people are drunk" kind of posts, I know that, and have no real worries 'singing' in front of others. The more important part is that I am less 'singing' and more 'inflicting my voice upon others'.

When all else fails, I switch to Death Metal voice... which works suspiciously well with Weird Al and Dido.

Anyway, I was hoping for suggestions like "Try this song, because...".

Still, the Brickwall suggestion is pretty good. I might try that with a few. And as a note, my specialty song is Fett's Vette by MC Chris (but not in his squeaky voice). Unfortunately, all attempts to get this song added to the list have failed :smallfrown:

Narmoth
2008-03-04, 03:17 AM
any motorhead should be fine.
Clapton is also easy to sing on some songs.

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-03-04, 03:28 AM
Hi

Basically I hope to be going to a karaoke bar in the near future, but lack any kind of singing voice. The few other times I have stuck to stuff requiring no singing ability (Limp Bizkit for example).

So I was wondering, what other songs can be done without a decent singing voice?

If you want to check availability, here is the link to the song list:
http://www.crewkaraoke.com/index2.html

Get drunk. Sing My Way. By Frank Sinatra. Can't miss.

Hell Puppi
2008-03-04, 03:34 AM
'Sweet Home Alabama'

'Fat Bottomed girls' (I'm aware of the ridiculously high singing voice of Freddie Mercury, but I don't think he has too high a pitch in this one)

'Rocket Man' :smallwink:

Jagg
2008-03-04, 05:00 AM
Ok Try one of the following

David Bowie "Major Tom"

SilverSheriff
2008-03-04, 06:39 AM
you might wan't to try some rap, some slow stuff not the really fast stuff, sure its nothing but talking to a beat but you could probably pull it off, the only thing that makes Rap hard to sing is not knowing the Lyrics because of their constant ghetto-talk usage...

Rykaj
2008-03-04, 06:54 AM
Most awesome song for karaoke is Wet Wet Wet - Love is all around. Cause even when you can't sing that song cracks me up everytime. Mostly because it's so cheesy :smallbiggrin:

dish
2008-03-04, 08:25 AM
I'm not going to be very helpful here, but I have a suggestion about something else NOT to sing.
Please don't try 'Unchained Melody'. Thank you.

Narmoth
2008-03-04, 08:59 AM
abything by Dyllan.
It can't get worse than the original. :smallsmile:

Capt'n Ironbrow
2008-03-04, 07:32 PM
A few years ago I was quite a Karaoke evening regular at the local irish pub... the basic tip for singing impaired is to avoid all songs with long notes.

actually, the way to go is to do a 50's rock 'n roll tune like Blue Suede shoes or rock around the clock. DON'T do ballads, ever, if you're insecure of your vocal capabilities... DON'T!

sktarq
2008-03-04, 07:39 PM
If you want an easy one that is on most Karaoke lists-Billy Joel's We didn't Start the Fire. "Singing" isn't involved its actually just variation to the force of your speach.
You could also do one of Red Hot Chilli Pepper's or Nirvana's lesser known works as most people have trouble understanding the lyrics anyway.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-03-04, 07:45 PM
One, if you're going to do karaoke, don't worry about your singing ability, there's likely to be people there singing that are worse than you, especially when drunk. Oh, and you can never go wrong with Friends in Low Places.

Jimblee
2008-03-04, 08:47 PM
One, if you're going to do karaoke, don't worry about your singing ability, there's likely to be people there singing that are worse than you, especially when drunk. Oh, and you can never go wrong with Friends in Low Places.

I once broke the machine I was singing into... It just started screeching and screeching and wouldn't stop. I was so bad, too

I think it just wanted to shut me up :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2008-03-04, 09:25 PM
I think Cake would be pretty good for karaoke... I like the band, but the singer doesn't exactly have a great vocal range. There's also plenty of harmonies if you want to play around or perform with someone else, and as an added extra chances are you'll get to throw in a "yeee... ha!" or "heeeey... ho!" somewhere. Lucky you, on that list there are three Cake songs. None are ones I would've immediately thought of... Of those three I'd probably go with Short Skirt/Long Jacket, personally, if only because I know more of the words and it's a bit more fun. Another thing about Cake is the lyrics are pretty simple and easy and are easy to hear.
That looks like a pretty intense sort of a karaoke bar...

Narmoth
2008-03-05, 03:38 AM
zz top. Many funny songs, with no great singing on :durkon:

greecetrap
2008-03-05, 09:09 PM
The funnest time I ever had doing karaoke was to:

Do You Really Want to Hurt Me
Culture Club

I'm personally not the best singer, and ended up shouting most of the lyrics, so I'm sure you can, too.

:smallredface:

Rogue 7
2008-03-05, 11:01 PM
Cake is very simple with their sounds, yes. They'd probably work for an amateur fairly well. There's also always the option of doing something loud and punkish that has a lot of screaming- I'm thinking Dropkick Murpheys here, with the stipulation that if worst comes to worst, the music itself is kickass.