PDA

View Full Version : Need help with one minor part of character design.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-04, 07:48 AM
I recently started playing in a Naruto d20 game. We played a prequel and one actual game before one of the players had to leave due to time constraints. That, and the combination of RPGWebProfiler's grim demise, resulted in the game dying.

A few months later, a substitute player was found, Digital Elysium was discovered, and lo and behold, the game got started again. I remade my character, focusing on the crunch (I was in a rush), and fun was had. Then I realized I had neglected a few fluff things.

So, what I ask of you this day is this: Given the following factors, what do you think would be an appropriate weight for my character?

1) She's female.

2) She's twelve. (A note for those of you unfamiliar with the Narutoverse: twelve is actually a pretty standard starting age for Academy students to be assigned their teams and given their first missions.)

3) I had previously established that she was of the "tall and thin" variety. I eventually settled on 5' 4" as being suitably "what the hell has she been eating" for her. As for weight, I feel that she should literally be just one step above dangerously underweight. Indeed, she's rather prone to falling under that line in long-term stressful situations. (The reason she's so thin, in case any of you care, is that I had birds in mind when I was creating her. Birds are lightweight. Ta-daa.)

Any help would be much appreciated. I may even share some backstory, for the sake of causing actual discussion.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-04, 08:07 AM
I would say you could go as low as 65 lbs. however, what is her CON and STR scores? A more realistic weight would be 80 to 90. 65 if she was really frail and lacked a lot of muscle.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 08:12 AM
Twelve years old and 5'4" ? Tall for her age :)

Using a standard height/weight graph (it only went up to age 10 for some reason)... the average weight for a 10 year old girl is 71.5lbs. Height is 4'6"

http://weightlossinternational.com/newsletter/height-weight-charts-for-children.html

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-04, 08:21 AM
Oh, of course, the stats. I forgot.

STR: 10
DEX: 17
CON: 13
CHA: 19
Character sheet as a whole: http://www.digitalelysium.com/profiler/view.php?id=1059

Oh, and if you have a more suitable height as well, I am now open to suggestions. I know absolutely nothing about this.

UglyPanda
2008-03-04, 08:26 AM
Judging by height, I'd say 110-120 lb. I've never met anyone under 100 lb who wasn't under five ft. A quick look at some websites states that small-framed 5'4" females should be at least 114 lb.

Also, is the height due to early puberty, or because she'll eventually be 6'2"?

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 08:31 AM
You named her after one of the Sanin? Any relation? (I see she has the Toad blood pact... that's why I ask)

Hmm, i would make her a bit shorter at that age. Drop her to 5'1" maybe... and to about 110 lbs. That seems about right for a lean kunoichi.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-04, 08:36 AM
Also, is the height due to early puberty, or because she'll eventually be 6'2"?

The second one.

You named her after one of the Sanin? Any relation? (I see she has the Toad blood pact... that's why I ask)She's his daughter.

Think about that for a bit.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 08:39 AM
That's quite the scary thought. Poor girl.

... why do you have Gaydar listed under equipment? :smallconfused:

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-04, 08:42 AM
That's quite the scary thought. Poor girl.

... why do you have Gaydar listed under equipment? :smallconfused:

Random silliness that I was fully expecting the DM to retcon. Suffice it to say, ancient Egyptian laser beams were involved.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 09:03 AM
A little weird... but hey, it's Naruto d20, I expect a little weird.

As long as dear old dad teaches you Needle Jizo, you're golden.

That said, your weight issue shouldnt be that big of a deal... somewhere around 100lbs is a good enough estimate, I would think.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-04, 09:11 AM
As long as dear old dad teaches you Needle Jizo, you're golden.

He taught me Wind of the Great Lecher, does that count for anything?

Also, I'm typing up the backstory now, in Word. I'll either edit it into this post or simply make a new post. Dunno which yet.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 09:16 AM
Wait...you sure it was LECHER, and not LEECHER? Because that seems rather weird

SamTheCleric
2008-03-04, 09:19 AM
No, he got it right.

Jiraiya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiraiya_%28Naruto%29) is a pervert.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-04, 09:19 AM
*heads over to dictionary.com*

lech-er (n.) - A man given to excessive sexual indulgence; a lascivious or licentious man.

leech-er - No results found.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 09:24 AM
Ahh, that 'splains it all. Got me thinking this was a "My hat of the d02 knows no limits" situation.

PS: Leecher is, naturally, derived from leech. A leecher would be a drainer, methinks.

kamikasei
2008-03-04, 09:25 AM

Wind of the Great Leecher would also be pretty weird. "You concentrate your chakra to draw down every torrent in a 500-foot radius at maximum speed, with no upload. For the duration of the effect you are immune to being dropped by peers." "1d4 targets +1 per caster level are cured of any blood-based malady, taking 2d4 temporary CON damage in return."

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-04, 09:27 AM
More like "Me steelz joo MP sucka!".

...Sorry for the MMORPG speak. I feel ashamed of myself.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-04, 10:27 AM
(Note: This conflicts with the canon in a few places. Neither I nor the DM care. Also, holy hell this took a long time to type.)

Around the time he reached middle age, the Sannin (and pervert) Jiraiya finally found a woman who didn’t rebuff his advances, another Konohan nin. He was initially suspicious, but his fears were soon dispelled, and he wasted little time in marrying and impregnating her.

Uzumaki Naruto was one of two children born on the day the Nine-Tailed Fox attacked Konohagakure. Jiraiya Etsu was the other. Shortly before her birth, her father (the Sannin Jiraiya) took her mother away from the hospital, to a safer location. Shortly after the Fourth Hokage’s sacrifice, and the sealing of the Kyuubi, Etsu’s mother gave birth; she chose not to return to the hospital.

Etsu’s first few years were fairly happy ones, though she did tend to cling rather closely to her mother; other people (apart from her father) made her nervous. Her mother, due to Jiraiya’s near-constant absence, was not assigned on missions that took her away from town often. On those rare occasions where she had to leave, Etsu simply remained inside, daydreaming about when she too would become a ninja and make her parents proud.

Unfortunately, when Etsu was four, her mother left town on another mission. Except this time, she didn’t return. Jiraiya rarely returned to Konohagakure more than once a season, and when he did, he never stayed longer than a day or two. Thus, Etsu was left mostly to her own devices, apart from the Third sending someone each day to prepare her meals. She spent that time tucked away safely inside her own room, and indeed rarely left the apartment. She loved playing outside, but without her mother close at hand, she was simply too nervous. She was still determined to be a ninja someday, however, and spent her time doing what training and practicing she could. Jiraiya returned from time to time, and she deeply treasured each moment with him; it was the only real human interaction she didn’t find intimidating, after all. He took her outside every time, and each time, she became just a little bolder. Eventually, she stuck around as her food was being prepared, and had a (somewhat forced) conversation with the secretary that had gotten stuck with the task on that particular day.

Around her seventh birthday, Jiraiya remained in Konohagakure for a full week; it was time for her to be enrolled in the Academy. Most of that time was spent in Konohakagure’s bustling marketplace, with the remainder spent in the parks. Jiraiya stuck around just long enough to greet her as she left from her first day at the Academy. She was still rather timid and shy, but she had stayed there all day.

By the time her eighth birthday rolled around, all that timidity and shyness had vanished; Etsu had become an outgoing, perpetually curious chatterbug, with a fondness for pulling a wide variety of harmless pranks. (Though she did once spend two weeks in the hospital after sneaking a live octopus into Tsunade’s private baths. The octopus escaped unscathed.) She was popular, and with good reason. She was bright, witty, wouldn’t prank you if she didn’t think you’d laugh along, and she was rather gifted in the Academy as well. The only flaw her peers saw with her was her constant defense of Naruto; she didn’t see why anyone should be mean to him, apart from the occasional prank taken too far. The only things her teachers really worried about were her tendency to act first and think later, and her strong (if rather selective) sense of morality. She was almost never inside if not in classes or sleeping, and sometimes not even then. She explored every square inch of Konohagakure, and even snuck out from time to time to investigate the forests surrounding it, when she could get by the sharp-eyed sentries. She once got lost in the bunker tunnels under the Hokage’s residence, returning with nothing more than a few scratches and a tale of a really, really big snake, and brains in jars.

When she was twelve, she was assigned to Team 6, along with classmates Arakawa Rafu and Sensaikoji Narabinai. They only completed one mission together before Sensaikoji Narabinai was transferred to Kumogakure as part of a strange new ninja exchange program designed to bring understanding between the various Hidden Villages. Etsu looks forward to meeting her new teammate from the Village Hidden in the Clouds.

GreenEarthPFC
2008-03-04, 08:17 PM
I agree with an approximate of one hundred pounds.

Nice background, by the way.