PDA

View Full Version : Dragonwrought Kobolds & dragon feats

Crazy Scot
2008-03-04, 10:22 AM
I have a question. In the Races of the Dragon book, it outlines how to create a kobold character, and with the Dragonwrought feat, you type changes from Humanoid (dragonblooded, reptilian) to Dragon. With this in mind, you should qualify for several feats from the Draconomicon book, and maybe other sources, that have the prerequisite of being a Dragon. My question is, though, is there anything (in the RAW) that cover the concept of using these feats? The big thought being class HD vs. racial HD. For instance, the Awaken Frightful Presence feat (Draconomicon page 67) says that you gain the frightful presence special ability with a radius in feet equal to 5 x 1/2 your racial HD. Is there anything in the RAW that says that you can use your class HD instead of racial HD in this calculation since in the example above you have no racial hit die but could have a number of class HD instead? Or would this have to be house-ruled?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Zincorium
2008-03-04, 10:37 AM
Well, there are a few things. First, make sure the feat doesn't distinguish between 'true dragons' and just 'dragons, the former still doesn't include you (can't think any examples off the top of my head, but if it comes up you'll notice it).

Second, yeah, you're pretty much out of luck (without a houseruling) as far as the hit dice and racial hit dice distinction. Your racial hit dice are 0 unless you somehow change race into something that has them, and that usually but not always isn't a good thing as you'll probably lose the dragon prereq that you've worked to get.

That said, the worst your DM can say is no (well, not the absolute worst but you know what I mean), you might also want to offer the idea that maybe you get half your actual HD for the purposes of the feat. Frightful presence isn't the most game breaking feat, even if it is fairly good.

ColdBrew
2008-03-04, 11:07 AM
On the plus side, look at how dragons qualify for Epic feats by age. That's right, a 40 year-old kobold (must resist Steve Carell joke) can take any [Epic] feat for which he meets the prereqs.

Also known on CharOp as "Cheesewrought Kobold"

SilverClawShift
2008-03-04, 12:50 PM
Well, there are a few things. First, make sure the feat doesn't distinguish between 'true dragons' and just 'dragons, the former still doesn't include you (can't think any examples off the top of my head, but if it comes up you'll notice it).

The dragon ascendant class comes to mind. You can become a quasi-deity, immortal, in a twelve level prestige class. Only available to true dragons though.

Person_Man
2008-03-04, 01:16 PM
Awaken Frightful Presence would give you a 5 ft frightful aura, since you have 0 racial hit die. There is nothing in RAW that changes this.

However, you could just take the normal Frightful Presence feat, and then take the Awaken Frightful Presence feat to increase its range by 50% and increase the Save DC by 2. For this reason, Dragonwraught Kobolds work very well for fear/debuff builds.

As ColdBrew points out, there are a many different kobold cheese threads over on the opt board. But DMs may not let most of them into a game.

ColdBrew
2008-03-04, 01:58 PM
Awaken Frightful Presence would give you a 5 ft frightful aura, since you have 0 racial hit die. There is nothing in RAW that changes this.

He has 0 racial hit dice the way an undead has 0 constitution, i.e. not at all. It's more accurate to say he has "-" or "null" instead of 0. If he took a bloodline level from UA, for instance, he would not suddenly gain all the level-dependent abilities of every base class he qualifies for by having 0 +1 levels in them.

In other words, no.