PDA

View Full Version : Chain Sunder

Cowboy_ninja
2008-03-04, 02:14 PM
so imma warlock. I use a chained E-Blast and i want to hit the orc and have the 2 secondary blasts hit his club and his armor.

legal? e-blast is a weapon-like spell.

what if i had the ranged sunder feat?

Tellah
2008-03-04, 03:11 PM
Sunder (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/specialAttacks.html#sunder)
"You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding." Furthermore, armor is not a valid target for a sunder attempt: "You can’t sunder armor worn by another character."

Your eldritch blast is not a melee attack, and it is neither a bludgeoning nor a slashing weapon. Ranged Sunder won't help you, either, because it only allows you to "make ranged sunder attempts with piercing weapons, such as arrows." I'm afraid that, RAW, an eldritch blast is incapable of sundering anything.

Burley
2008-03-04, 05:00 PM
Forget about all of that! If you're so super set on sundering junk, you can just take these two invocations: Eldritch Glaive blast shape and Hammer blast essense! Eldritch Glaive is a 10ft reach MELEE touch attack, and the Hammer Blast part lets you do full damage to objects. Throw Improved Sunder on that, and you've got an EXTREMELY good chance to break whatever it is.

Am I wrong? I'm pretty sure that's totally legit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Eldmor
2008-03-04, 05:03 PM
Forget about all of that! If you're so super set on sundering junk, you can just take these two invocations: Eldritch Glaive blast shape and Hammer blast essense! Eldritch Glaive is a 10ft reach MELEE touch attack, and the Hammer Blast part lets you do full damage to objects. Throw Improved Sunder on that, and you've got an EXTREMELY good chance to break whatever it is.

Am I wrong? I'm pretty sure that's totally legit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or stay out of harms way and take the Shatter invocation. Also pick up one of the Dispel effects to get rid of pesky magical gear.

Burley
2008-03-04, 08:45 PM
Well, using Baleful Utterance is a another way to do it...but, I would venture to say that it isn't quite as effective. The object gets a Will save (DC 10+2 for invocation level+Cha mod) so, lets say, if you maxed your charisma, DC 16? That's a good DC for lower levels, but it gets kinda weak after your fighting something around 5th level or so...in which case you might as well trade it for Hammer Blast or Eldritch Glaive (which gives you multiple attacks per round...). Also, keep in mind that there is a second level bard spell called Silence that completely negates that invocation.
But, a sunder attempt is much easier. So, let's say you maxed out Dex, instead of Cha (which is a smart thing to do, since your blast is ranged), and you took the weapon finesse feat (which will apply to your eldritch glaive), by the time you have Eldritch Glaive and Hammer Blast at 2nd level...you'll have a +5 (1bab+4dex) to hit OR if you take Baleful Utterance [shatter] at first, Eldritch Glaive at second and Hammer blast at fourth, you'd have a +7 to hit.
Come to think of it, that second option would be best, since most things have a hardness you can't overcome until 3rd-5th level anyways, even with a lucky roll.

In any case, the chain would be kinda cool, but not useful until really high levels. You could sunder targets weapon, but then the next target would only take half the original damage, and only half of that half if you target an object anyways. If you want to sunder, make sure you take Hammer Blast to deal full damage to objects.
That is all.