PDA

View Full Version : D & D: Firearms Setting

Headless_Ninja
2008-03-04, 04:26 PM
Now, y'all might be guessing that I'm something of a newcomer to this D&D spiel, but anyhow I'd love an answer to this question: are there any D&D settings, sourcebooks, prestige classes etc, that incorporate firearms into the game? Sorry if I'm being moronic, ignore me if this is a ridiculous question. I mean anything from simple black-powder to break action. I await your answers, and possible mocking :smallredface:.

Sleet
2008-03-04, 04:29 PM
Check out Iron Kingdoms (http://www.privateerpress.com/ironkingdoms/default.php).

Attilargh
2008-03-04, 04:43 PM
The only stupid question is the one not made, I hear. But yeah, Iron Kingdoms (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IronKingdoms) (different link) is great.

Also, Forgotten Realms has some firearms, but they're far from prevalent.

Headless_Ninja
2008-03-04, 04:54 PM
Wow, that seems pretty interesting, particularly the part about other mechanical devices used too. (And it mentions duels with firearms, something I hadn't considered). Any experience playing this?

Farmer42
2008-03-04, 05:06 PM
Also worth bringing up, since no one has, the DMG has rules for firearms in it, so you can bring them into play in a campaign if you want, without buying a bunch of other sourcebooks.

Redcap
2008-03-04, 05:26 PM
I've been running and playing Iron Kingdoms for a few years now; it's a great setting, lots of potential for many different types of games.
One thing you should know up front, however, is that the firearms (and most technology) in Iron Kingdoms are not the same as our historical weapons; instead of black powder, they use blasting powder, which has to be made by a spellcaster and is considered an alchemical substance. It's pretty expensive (several gold per shot, depending on the size of the weapon), but within the setting they make plenty of sense. Everything from pocket sized holdout one shot pistols up to chain guns and recoilless rifles exist in the game, as do hand grenades and artillery.
Reloading is a bit complicated - each weapon requires a number of standard actions to reload (1-4, again depending on size), and require a Craft(small arms) check. If you're in combat, you'll also have to roll a Concentration check. Both of these rolls have pretty low DCs, but occasionally you will ruin a cartridge.

Errata
2008-03-04, 05:49 PM
I'll also recommend Iron Kingdoms. It does a lot with firearms, but they are mostly balanced against regular melee weapons and operate within a pretty standard set of d20 rules. The commonly available firearms often need a special turn to reload (or more for big guns), for instance, though there are some options for mitigating this.

As an example they've got a Gun Mage class that specializes in delivering touch attacks by channeling them through their bullets. So not only has your opponent been shot but that counts as the attack roll for whatever touch spell you've charged the bullet with. They also have a Rifleman class, which can make an excellent sniper with the right feats and skills.

Its a complete steampunk setting, with all kinds of intricate steam powered machinery always on the verge of breaking down. They've got everything up to giant fighting robots that can totally dominate a battle, with classes designed to control, build, and repair them. But they are so incredibly expensive that it requires some degree of consent from the DM to be able to consider actually having access to these for your party.

CrazedGoblin
2008-03-04, 06:00 PM
im incorperating firearms into my game but as a new weapon central to an area, consiered holy due to how the powder is made

Indon
2008-03-04, 06:02 PM
Wow, that seems pretty interesting, particularly the part about other mechanical devices used too. (And it mentions duels with firearms, something I hadn't considered). Any experience playing this?

Yes, mostly at low levels for now. Guns were somewhat problematic for the players to use, due to the price of bullets, but we're starting to get a decent bit of cash saved up now for things.

Eldmor
2008-03-04, 07:15 PM
I would recommend a work-in-progress campaign setting here in The Playground.
The Dustlands (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46752&highlight=Dustlands) uses spellshots, ammo that can be made with magic or alchemical means. There's normal ammo, mild variations on it, and then spell rounds. Spell rounds are the equivalent of any-use scrolls and should always be kept for rainy days.

Headless_Ninja
2008-03-05, 04:27 PM
The Dustlands seems pretty interesting, a western D&D - awesome! Thanks for all the advice on Iron kingdoms too, I'll be sure to take a look at that.

Nebo_
2008-03-05, 07:30 PM

I'm playing in an IK game at the moment and I have to say that the setting is incredible. We're playing with some slightly modified rules for firearm proficiency, so that there are guns in every category of weapons. Smaller pistols are considered simple weapons, most rifles and military pistols are martial, and the best guns like the Radcliffe Firestorm, Ogrun Battlecannon and Vanar Liberator, are exotic. It means everyone can use a gun with some degree of lethality.

Hawriel
2008-03-05, 08:30 PM
well others have beat me to mentioning Iron Kingdoms. Here are afew other worlds that have fire arms.

Warhammer Fanticy PRG

Seven Seas D20

This is a renaissance/post renaissance setting. Its very closly paraleled to Europe. You can buckle your swash eather Muskateer or Drake style.

Deadlands D20.

This is an American wild west setting.

Both of these games where created with their own systems, then converted to D20 when that exploded in popularity. Most argue that the origional rules are better for prepresenting the setting of their respective words.

You can also try D20 modern and see if there are any old style firearms in it or D20 past.

FlyMolo
2008-03-05, 09:52 PM
I second the Dustlands recommendation, and maybe the DMG or DMG II has firearms in it too.

If you need something more advanced that that, I can't help you.