PDA

View Full Version : Audiosurf, aka: Through the Fire and Flames: the Ride

Seraph
2008-03-04, 04:44 PM
http://audio-surf.com/

explanation: Audiosurf is this awesome PC game that costs ten bucks. it turns music files (except .m4p files, because **** you apple) into a 3d rollercoaster-style track where you have to hit blocks and stack them to score points. its also incredibly fun.

example of play: Mr. Blue Sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkiMMjkljag)

different characters = entirely different styles of play. literally, as in, the block patterns are different for each one and you need to have entirely separate play styles for each.

Ranis
2008-03-04, 05:50 PM
Looks...strange. What is the block thing for?

Semidi
2008-03-04, 10:52 PM
I got it and am having a lot of fun with it. My favorite songs to play on it so far are Highway to Hell and Voodoo people. I'm still goofing off with it, I'm pretty poor, but I can think of worse ways to kill time.

JediNite
2008-03-04, 11:02 PM
There are few things in this life that lead me slack-jawed and staring.
Congratulations, sir, for showing me one that isn't a woman.

Honestly, watching that link, then clicking the link for Through the Fire and the Flames... nearly a freaking religious experience.
Can you link songs together? I want to make my own Rockin' Roller Coaster! :smallbiggrin:
-Jedi

Corlindale
2008-03-06, 04:20 AM
Can you link songs together? I want to make my own Rockin' Roller Coaster!

There is no mechanism for it in the game, but I suppose you could splice multiple music files together. Of course you wouldn't get access to any of the high score boards that way, as they are dedicated to individual songs. There's also a song length cap of 25 minutes maximum (was quite annoyed when I found out, had really been looking forward to playing Karn Evil 9 by ELP).
Hopefully they will increase song length in the future, and even add a feature to link songs and play through entire albums in one marathon run. I don't know of any such plans, however.

That said, the game is great fun. I've been spending far too many hours playing it already. The incredible diversity of possible music choices coupled with the choice of multiple, distinct modes of play really gives the game a long lifetime.

NeonBlack
2008-03-06, 07:09 AM
Yeah, Audiosurf rocks. I'm currently the world record holder for Bathe in Blood by Bloodbath in easy modes :smallbiggrin:. Never mind only 4 or 5 people had played that song as of yesterday... Note to self: regain world domination in Dark Tranquillity's Blind at Heart later today.

And I didn't know about the 25 min limit, but after playing through The Odyssey by Symphony X (that's 23:XX min, I think), I can understand why: blocks tend to get a bit de-synchronized with the music somewhere around the 12 minute mark. I guess it could get only worse with longer songs. If they manage to fix that kind-of-bug, I hope they'll remove the limit. Playing through Mike Oldfield's Amarok could be hilarious :smallbiggrin:.

Oh, and the game shows .m3u (WinAmp playlist) files in the file list when loading a song, so maybe playing full albums is somewhat supported. I'll give it a try this evening...

Semidi
2008-03-06, 11:06 AM
I wanted the Ninja Master achievement so I decided to play In a Gadda Davida (17 minutes). I got to the 16 minute mark and hit a grey on mistake (just not paying attention)... I think the people next door heard my cussing. I seem to psych myself out with Ninja Mono a lot and just make stupid mistakes which prevents me from getting stealth.

Also, I highly recommend experimenting with orchestral music--it makes it feel like a whole different game. Sometimes the tracks can be simply beautiful with all the dips and hills.

Also, I'm number 1 ranked on quite a few songs. Granted they're either classical, underground, or classic rock (CCR, David Bowie, The Doors, and The Stooges). It's cool that I see the same people on some of the scoreboards for the music I play (Goth Rock/industrial). I think I’m going to try Eruption by Van Halen later.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-03-06, 11:07 PM
Ok.. so... WTF.

Seriously, I looked all over the required stuff for this game, noticed that I had everything, then after I purchase it and install it, it says I need the new version of Quest 3D??? And that costs MONEY. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm hoping that this is just a mistake...

Here is the site it lead me to when it said I was missing something:
http://www.quest3d.com/index.php?id=14

Edit: Ok, google'd it and I guess its a common error. Easy fix too. :smallbiggrin: