PDA

View Full Version : Is he still there?

Kyeudo
2008-03-04, 06:18 PM
I just popped back through the archives to double check something, and found this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html). My question is: Is the illusion of Belkar still there, and is he ticking off any hobgoblins?

David Argall
2008-03-04, 06:29 PM
It is presumed, without proof, that the illusion was was somewhere in what is now in the area of the rift and thus destroyed. Alternately it may have been destroyed by the explosion. About the only thing that might have preserved it is plot utility.

Rogue 7
2008-03-04, 06:58 PM
Wasn't Eugene cooking that one up? Assuming he's been scrying, I doubt it's still there.

Qov
2008-03-04, 07:08 PM
About the only thing that might have preserved it is plot utility.
Or that it would be incredibly funny for there to be an illusory Belkar haunting the ruins of the keep.

kpenguin
2008-03-04, 07:14 PM
About the only thing that might have preserved it is plot utility.

Well, the agreement between the Resistance leaders require Belkar and Haley to leave. If someone saw that Belkar illusion and thought that it was really him...

Phase
2008-03-04, 07:18 PM
I'm thinking that Eugene probably ended the illusion once Azure city fell...

Flickerdart
2008-03-04, 07:48 PM
It's a Permanent Image though. Doesn't have a duration and isn't concentration-based.

Kyeudo
2008-03-04, 08:00 PM
Illusions don't move outside their initial bounds, they cant be killed, and unless actively dissmissed or dispelled Permanent Image lasts forever. Even if the castle was completely destroyed, there would still be a Belkar illusion sitting where the cell was, making comments on your parentage.

Why I ask is I think Xykon would find the illusion hilarious and keep it around for laughs if he found it.

Grey Watcher
2008-03-04, 08:05 PM
The idea of illusory Belkar floating there insulting people brings a smile to my face.

Morgan Wick
2008-03-04, 10:34 PM
I thought the illusion went away when Belkar (briefly) went to prison for real (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0419.html). I don't believe we've seen it since then.

Mesfens
2008-03-06, 06:04 PM
The idea of illusory Belkar floating there insulting people brings a smile to my face.

It can become a tourist attraction in "The Xykonian City of Evil, formerly known as Azure City"!

Phase
2008-03-06, 07:01 PM
Well, perhaps as the rift grew, it engulfed the illusion...

Roderick_BR
2008-03-06, 07:10 PM
It's a Permanent Image though. Doesn't have a duration and isn't concentration-based.
But can be dismissed. Unless Eugene forgets it.... :smalltongue:

rankrath
2008-03-06, 07:11 PM
Well, perhaps as the rift grew, it engulfed the illusion...

so the rift is floating around, both threatening the world and questioning your parentage at the same time?

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-06, 09:32 PM
Heeheehee it would be HILARIOUS if it were still there.

Demented
2008-03-06, 10:30 PM
The rift has grown because of Belkar's illusion taunting the snarl.

:belkar: Generic comment questioning your parentage.

Snarl: RAAAWWWHRRRR

:belkar: Coarse remark about your attitude.

Snarl: RAAGHGHAAAGHGHHRRGGG

:belkar: Retort about your personal worth.

Snarl: GAGH AGHRAAAGAH SKURGHQKLBRFLARRGENERALPROTECTIONFAULT–

Emanick
2008-03-06, 10:32 PM

Wow, I didn't think of that! :smalleek:
It's all Eugene's fault!! Rawr! :smalltongue:

Wolfram
2008-03-06, 10:48 PM

Your language is applaling! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

:smallbiggrin:

strayth
2008-03-07, 10:58 AM
Hahaha, I love the idea of an illusory Belkar taunting the rift. That's adorable.

†Seer†
2008-03-07, 07:02 PM
Tee hee...

Unless RC dispelled it.

*crosses fingers and hopes he didn't*

Helios Sunshard
2008-03-07, 10:29 PM
Oh my, i had not thought about the comedical value of a Belkar illusion floating in the sky.

Ceric
2008-03-07, 11:52 PM
It's a Permanent Image though.

I don't think so, personally; only Persistent Image (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsPtoR.html#persistent-image) follows a script.
But nor do I think that it's a Persistent Image, because that only has a 1 min/level duration.

Morgan Wick
2008-03-08, 01:23 PM
Has no one even seen my post? I see no reason why the illusion WOULD still be there. It was there to cover for the fact that Belkar wasn't really in prison, then he really did go to prison, so at that point the illusion wasn't needed and in fact we haven't seen it since.

Newtkeeper
2008-03-08, 01:52 PM
Has no one even seen my post? I see no reason why the illusion WOULD still be there. It was there to cover for the fact that Belkar wasn't really in prison, then he really did go to prison, so at that point the illusion wasn't needed and in fact we haven't seen it since.

Unless some idiot forgot to dismiss it. Assuming you folks are right about it being Eugene who created it, I wouldn't be all that surprised. Although, to be fair, we probably would have gotten the 'Two Belkars?' joke already were that the case.