PDA

View Full Version : Flooded in the Playground

Felixaar
2008-03-04, 08:12 PM
Joy. Constant rain for the past ten days and now I am trapped in my home, the only roads out are all blocked by shoulder-depth water (and I dont have a canoe, either). On the plus side, I don't have to go to work :smallbiggrin: Anyone else live in the Cairns area?

Flickerdart
2008-03-04, 08:14 PM
In Canada, floods come in bags!

And by bags, I mean ice. My school is surrounded by either a sheet of ice or a sea, depending on whether it's +1 or -1. Often that's the temperature range for the day, so I skate there in the morning and swim back in the afternoon. :P

Parvum
2008-03-04, 08:25 PM
Waist deep? Yeek. I assume you have some form of 'upstairs'?

I remember a flood last year (this year?). I think some people had to leave their homes for a while, and plenty of people needed new basements. Except me. On account of I was on the other side of the city, where everyone was thinking 'it's wet and miserable. Couldn't get any worse.'

Good people get flooded first. Live in shady neighborhoods.

Ego Slayer
2008-03-04, 10:39 PM
It's raining here (freezing now), and all the snow melted earlier, but it doesn't flood by my house, so ner! :P Everywhere else is all "omg iz gunna flood!"

In Canada, floods come in bags!
... *giggles*

Brickwall
2008-03-04, 10:54 PM
Raining like hell here too. I knew this would happen a day in advance without looking at the weather. I am awesome. Sexy-awesome.

I hate rain. :smallannoyed:

TRM
2008-03-05, 08:58 PM
@ Everyone in this thread:
If you drown in the floods I'll be so mad that I will never speak to you again. :smallannoyed:

Here? There is no flood. If my house were under water, than almost half (it's an estimate! Don't hold me to it!) the country would also be under water.
Trust me, you don't want me to be flooded. :smallsigh:
edit: I was very, very wrong. I checked some heights above sea level and flood histories, etc... and I guess that only most of the city would be under water.

@Dallas: I wish.:smallfrown: I'm just on a big hill. That's not as big as I thought:smallannoyed:

Best of luck in keeping your sanity and abodes dry :smallsmile:

Jimblee
2008-03-05, 09:02 PM
*snip* (I should be a little more sensitive, who knows whats out there in that big scary world of ours?)

I've never been in a flood. Only tornadoes and stuff like that. Whats it like? Does it last for days? Do you need to put water in little baggies and all that?

Pyro
2008-03-05, 10:43 PM
The weather has been bi-polar recently. Windy, sunny, rain, sunny, rain, now cold all in two days. So yeah I've gotten a lot of rain recently, but the rain is awesome!

Jagg
2008-03-05, 11:27 PM
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/gallery/0,23816,5030116-17382-1,00.html

Heh, I remember what weather was like up there...especially in cyclone season.

Just remember thes golden rules...

1) Don't surf in the storm drains
2) Sometimes Salties get washed down the rivers in heavy rain.
3) Remember where your manhole cover is, it's safer to get onto the roof by removing a couple of tiles than it is to wade around in floodwaters
4) Your car will never be the same. Sell it for scrap
5) Don't go anywhere (if you can help it and aren't directed to evacuate).
6) Don't drink the water from the tap without boiling it for a while
7) Remember to have plenty of batteries and candles on hand
8) Get a group of friends together and play DnD until it's over.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-06, 07:33 AM
Joy. Constant rain for the past ten days and now I am trapped in my home, the only roads out are all blocked by shoulder-depth water (and I dont have a canoe, either). On the plus side, I don't have to go to work :smallbiggrin: Anyone else live in the Cairns area?

Here? There is no flood. If my house were under water, than almost half (it's an estimate! Don't hold me to it!) the country would also be under water.
Trust me, you don't want me to be flooded
Do you also live in The Netherlands?

Is it just me or does it look like only The Netherlands and a few other countries were smart enoug to build dikes?
Anyway, best of luck...

Castaras
2008-03-06, 08:40 AM
I live on what is technically a "hill" in Cambridgeshire.

Elsewhere, it's probably just another flat area. :smalltongue:

But yeah, I'm unlikely to get flooded. Which is good.

I wish those in the floods a speedy drying away of water. G'luck.

hap_hazard
2008-03-06, 07:34 PM
I live ten storeys up. If my house gets flooded then Singapore has been wiped off the map.

DraPrime
2008-03-06, 08:11 PM
I can't be flooded easily. I'm on the top of a really big hill. By the time the water reaches me, you might as well say "Good-bye eastern Massachusetts."

Darkcomet
2008-03-06, 08:16 PM
The weather has been bi-polar recently. Windy, sunny, rain, sunny, rain, now cold all in two days. So yeah I've gotten a lot of rain recently, but the rain is awesome!

It's been rather irritating lately here too. Cold, wet, warm, dry, wet, cold... (cold and wet together are the worst.) What's weirdest is that they're saying that there's going to be snow. That's impossible. I've only seen a decent amount of snow firsthand once in my life and it wasn't even that much.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-06, 09:40 PM
Toronto just has a total of 127 cm of snow over the entire winter so far. That's the 3rd biggest snowfall in history here

Dragonrider
2008-03-06, 09:58 PM
...rain?
what's that?
:smalltongue:

Thiel
2008-03-07, 03:34 AM
No floods around here, plenty of ground water though.

Felixaar
2008-03-07, 05:54 AM
In Soviet Russia, Floods come in YOU.
(Also, is it true that in Canada, Cats grow in Tree's?)

Waters went down this morning. Joy, now I have to go back to work again. It wasnt too bad outside of the fact that I had to spend the whole day trapped with my mum. And Jagg, I did everything but the water boiling (internal water supply. booyah.) heck, I even had DnD Tactics for the PsP.

Also no teasing DR :smalltongue: It rains here atleast two out of three days, and while I dont mind the rain, I am sick of the heat.