PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Giant

Callos_DeTerran
2008-03-04, 08:50 PM
Just as Roy said in the tribute, I can't speak for everyone but thank you for doing the tribute to Gygax. I can't thank you enough.

Lupy
2008-03-04, 08:57 PM
Thanks alot Rich, I don't know anyone I'd rather hear from than you...:smallfrown:

VetMichael
2008-03-04, 10:23 PM
Here! Here!

E. Gary Gygax dying is like my uncle or grandfather dying...

AD&D made teenage years bearable and provided a peer group I identified with. I'll miss him.

The Hop Goblin
2008-03-04, 10:31 PM
Passing of someone who left a large mark on the world. Thank you for breaking the news (Not on Yahoo? WTF?)

I think its time for the slow-clap.

Icewalker
2008-03-04, 11:07 PM
Amazing...thank you, Rich Burlew.

Fawsto
2008-03-04, 11:20 PM
Thank you Master Rich.

I may have not met him personaly, I may not have played the old D&D versions since I started at 3.0. But I know I should respect and admire the person who made my favourite game and hobby. All my wishes is that he had a good life, so now he can rest peacefuly.

I believe that rigth now Master Gygax is enjoying some nice talk with some Angel in the terms of how Heaven looks like some of D&D's paradises.

I am glad that you made a tribute to him. Very kind of yours. I admire it. If I could, I'd pay my respects in a somewhat more meaningfull way like you did. Tahnk you.

Good by Gary Gygax, I will remember to meet you in heaven so we can discuss some rules and play some adventures.

Half-blood
2008-03-04, 11:27 PM
I must say...Thank you Giant. Thank you for the tribute. thank gygax.
T'was it not for sir Gygax. we would have never felt the Anger at the critical hit on our character. never had felt the smirk on you face, as you look at the most gruesome of situations. We would have never felt the Great passion that comes from Screaming about your victory over the highest mountain tops. thank you giant. And ALL HAIL SIR GYGAX! May he always roll high as he sits in the mountains of Celestia.

Ridureyu
2008-03-04, 11:30 PM
I want to add, thank you for the tribute.

Leebot
2008-03-04, 11:33 PM
I just had to register on the forums right now so I could join in with the thanks. I heard the news a bit earlier today, and I had a suspicion I'd be seeing a tribute here. I'm quite glad to see my suspicions were confirmed.

And if anyone mentions this particular comic not making any sense in the future for archive-divers, trust me when I say that they have to be infiltrators from... well, best not to say. No true fan would care about such trivialities.

memnarch
2008-03-04, 11:49 PM
Passing of someone who left a large mark on the world. Thank you for breaking the news (Not on Yahoo? WTF?)

Well, at least cnn had a bit on it (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/obit.gygax.ap/index.html).

Was 7th most read until politics moved in. At time of posting, 2nd most e-mailed.

TheKnifeofTrust
2008-03-04, 11:56 PM
I've enjoyed quite a few D&D games with my friends (who are much more into it than me), but I do love RPGs and I'm sure countless other things D&D has helped inspire so I'll raise a flagon of mead to the man.

HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!

SolkaTruesilver
2008-03-05, 12:00 AM
Penny Arcade made a goot tribute to him to. Not as good as Rich's, but I think it was appropriate.

Guy_Whozevl
2008-03-05, 12:33 AM
When I first found out in Journalism, I was kinda shocked. Now I kinda feel happy and sad; sad that a great man has passed away, but happy because I am truely able to appreciate how much he has impacted a gamer's life. Without him, I probably would be doing something pathetic with my Fridays, rather than engage in a good game of D&D. Without him and the vocabulary I picked up from D&D books, my SAT and ACT would be much worse off. Without him, my personality would be completely different for the worse. Thank you Mr. Gygax for passing on a spark of your ingenuity and greatness to the gamers that follow, and than you Mr. Burlew for paying homage to the epitome of an everyday hero and inspiration. Amen.

Corwin Weber
2008-03-05, 12:57 AM
I checked the site looking for a regular update. Saw an update and checked it out.

I sat there reading it literally saying 'Oh you f***ing rule.'

You've had plenty of good strips Giant. Add this one to the list. You tell an amazing story, and now we see you do an amazing tribute to a man I think all of us owe some level of debt to.

Thank you.

Tharr
2008-03-05, 01:02 AM
The real fact is Gary will be greeted by Tolkien who show him around the new places. Douglas Adams will show up and later make fun of Robert Jordan because how now the whole thing will never get finished unlike the work they had completed. Final end they play cards with Jack Marvel Kirby over the rumors the OOTS will be then retcon for the newest 4th edition books which might be titled "Brand New Adventure Day." Nice tribute like work.

Tharr
2008-03-05, 01:04 AM
The real fact is Gary will be greeted by Tolkien who show him around the new places. Douglas Adams will show up and later make fun of Robert Jordan because how now the whole thing will never get finished unlike the work they had completed. Final end they play cards with Jack Marvel Kirby over the rumors the OOTS will be then retcon for the newest 4th edition books which might be titled "Brand New Adventure Day." Nice tribute like work.

Jarawara
2008-03-05, 01:06 AM
I was a full four or five frames into today's strip before it dawned on me that this wasn't all just for a punchline. A half-second of scanning the boards confirmed, the Great DM of the ages has passed. Quite the shock to learn this through a comic, really. But also quite appreciated.

Very classy, Rich, for posting this tribute. Gary will be missed, and you do him great honor to include him in the OOTS storyline. Thank you.

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-05, 01:20 AM
Your respect for the late Gary Gygax is a beacon, Mr. Burlew. Just the tribute you've paid to him here is the best thing you could give him, because it shows just how influential he was to you. I'm sure he would agree.

Wolfram
2008-03-05, 01:26 AM
That was a classy in Memoriam strip.

Bill Buckley and Gary Gygax in the same week.

Now I am imagining the two of them doing a D&D game...

Speaking of Buckley, while reading NRO's reaction to (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MmRiNjg4MTZjYjFkMWYzYjRhOGVjMWM2NzY5MjkzN2Q=)Ga ry Gygax's passing (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OWQwOTQ1MWE2MDc5YmUyOTRlNDBjNTE4ZmViNDFmNTg=), I came across this little piece (http://www.nationalreview.com/miller/miller200410151029.asp).

Eakin
2008-03-05, 01:33 AM
A classy tribute from a true fan. Well done indeed, Rich.

RIP Gary

Sir Giacomo
2008-03-05, 01:37 AM
Dear Mr. Rich The Giant,

you, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

- Giacomo

tenguro
2008-03-05, 01:46 AM

Yahoo just put something up, usually they are faster then this. But on topic, I went to wizards.com before I came here and found out there, a sad day indeed.

Strengfellow
2008-03-05, 07:11 AM
Now I'm less bummed out than I was and for that I commend you.

It's still sinking in though, this feeling I have it's like the opposite of a nerdgasm and I like it not at all.

Need chocolate.

Madalive
2008-03-05, 08:43 AM
Thanks Rich

Bayar
2008-03-05, 08:53 AM
I bet that Gygax is playing a game with Tolkien right now :smallbiggrin:

Thanks Giant !

zilko
2008-03-05, 08:58 PM
Sad news indeed, thanks to Rich for breaking it to us softly. I had to dig out my white box to leaf through the old books put out by Messrs Gygax, Kuntz and Arneson in 1973. I still remember my first D&D session, having played a human fighter in a friend's hack and slash dungeon. My world was changed forever.

Tonight, I will raise a glass of rum, my favorite libation, in celebration of E. Gary Gygax's life and accomplishments. Like many of us here, I would have been a different person without his dedication to fun. P-)

From the Forward to the original rules set:
'These rules are strictly fantasy. Those wargamers who lack imagination, those who don't care for Burroughs' Martian adventures where John Carter is groping through black pits, who feel no thrill upon reading Howard's Conan saga, who do not enjoy the de Camp & Pratt fantasies or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser pitting their swords against evil sorceries will not be likely to find DUNGEONS and DRAGONS to their taste. But those whose imaginations know no bounds will find that these rules are the answer to their prayers. With this last bit of advice we invite you to read on and enjoy the "world" where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!'

E. Gary Gygax
Tactical Studies Rules Editor
1 November 1973
Lake Geneva, Wiconsin

SAMAS
2008-03-05, 09:28 PM
Agreed with everybody...

And I do mean everybody! I'm surprised the site didn't crash.

VetMichael
2008-03-05, 09:52 PM
I don't mean to double-dip this thread, but I'm still bummed about it and I just figured out why:

Yesterday, my hero died. I know a lot of people throw that idea around, but I'm all cynical and jaded and such...until I read Rich's tribute then followed it up with Wil Wheaton's (http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/) tribute.

Thanks again, Rich!

Wolfram
2008-03-05, 10:00 PM
Two more tributes.

The New York Times' obituary (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/arts/05gygax.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin) where they do fantasy a service by mentioning R. A. Howard with Tolkien and this blog post (http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=989), which I got through National Review Online (and they mention WFB. I am just imagining Buckley rolling up a character...).

Wolfram
2008-03-05, 10:11 PM
I bet that Gygax is playing a game with Tolkien right now !

OK, Tolkien has the halfling thief... Robert Howard has the barbarian. Hmmm. Which characters should we give Fritz Lieber and Robert Jordan?

VetMichael
2008-03-05, 11:32 PM
OK, Tolkien has the halfling thief... Robert Howard has the barbarian. Hmmm. Which characters should we give Fritz Lieber and Robert Jordan?

I don't know about Fritz, but Robert will still be rolling up characters and devising their back stories for several years yet, so he might miss out on the initial campaigns.

Tharr
2008-03-06, 03:33 AM
The Robert Jordan remark is true good luck on finishing the books.

Douglas Adams would play some wacky space class.
William Shakespear would play the bard.
Poe would play Emo fighter.
Lovecraft would play some cleric of the Deep Realm.
Kirby would play some weird superhero like class work.
Samuel Clemens by nudging his dice wins the game.

Gary after long talk with Lincoln has Lincoln wait for Ed Greenwood to yell on the rant about drow slavery then shown in the game novels.

Emrylon
2008-03-06, 03:50 AM
Just want to add to what everyone else has already said. Thank you for that Rich it was a fantastic way of giving a tribute to someone that gave so much to millions of people around the world.

Wolfram
2008-03-06, 11:24 AM

No... C.S> Lewis would play the cleric. HPL would play the wizard who delves into That Which Men Are Not Meant To Know (tm).

Caractacus
2008-03-07, 08:00 AM
The BBC also noted his passing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7278927.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7280969.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/03/farewell_gary_gygax_the_dungeo.html

I rolled a set of 3d6 six times, in order, just to honour him. For the record, I reckon I got a Magic-user:

Str 8, Int 15, Wis 8 Con 8 Dex 15 Cha 11

Baras
2008-03-10, 08:11 AM
Some nice praise for Giant from Chainmail Bikini (http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/default.aspx?c=72) ...

Shawn Says:
1: You have undoubtably heard by now, Gary Gygax passed away this week. There are tributes and references all over the net, but I think Order of the Stick did it best.

Laurentio
2008-03-10, 08:50 AM

Actually, putting HP Lovecraft at a table with more than two people is probably going to cause him a shock. And sadly, I doubt you can find him in heaven.

Missing Gygax. You can understand how great it was, by how much bad is D&D when others started to screwing it. Well, not everything, but I would stick to old versions.

Laurentio