PDA

View Full Version : Prophet. Or an excuse to meta in game?

Iden
2008-03-04, 10:38 PM
So we're starting a new DnD game at 7th level and everything is allowed. The concept I wanted to go with involved using some form of divine influence as an excuse to give out prophecies. Mostly these would let me make educated guesses about upcoming situations "The wrath of the spider will come down on those before the golden portal." (That door probably has a trap.) or bizarrely ambiguous declarations of future events which I can have fun attempting to point out how they have or will come true.
I think the character should genuinely believe, whether its true or not, that these prophecies come from on high.
Flavor wise I thought that the favored soul matched this concept pretty well although the class features seemed a bit boring down the road.
So basically I'd like to ask for any suggestions of classes, prestige classes, feats or concepts you think would help me along this path.

Thanks Alot.
Iden

BRC
2008-03-04, 10:41 PM
If your just flavoring educated guesses that's not metagaming in my opinion. If however, you take a look at the monster manual beforehand, and your DM puts you up against some trolls, and earlier you recieved a prophecy that "Only the hungry water and the hungry light can harm the flesh of your foe". And so you use this to have your character randomly know you need Fire and Acid to kill the trolls. THEN It's metagaming.

Hal
2008-03-04, 10:47 PM
You could always take Knowledge Devotion as a feat, and with it make Knowledge (The Future) your class skill.

See if your DM goes with it. Yeah, it's not real, but when you roll for that check, your DM could have a lot of fun with what "your character" manages to come up with.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-03-04, 10:52 PM
Sounds to me like a (Cloistered?) Cleric5/Divine Oracle2 who prepares the Divination line spells (Omen of Peril, Augury, Divination, etc) a lot. Just be prepared to shell out some of that WBL to get your information.

Iden
2008-03-05, 01:01 AM
hmm... I wouldn't mind doing something along the lines of an apostle of peace although unfortunately I don't think that gives you enough back for complete passivity. Is there anything out there along those lines that would allow me to almost just play the sage or some such of my group without having to get my butt kicked by everything I can't attack.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-05, 09:46 PM
Favored Soul of a Divination Power or a Pantheon preferably with the Divine Oracle PRC with the Prophet of the Divine feat from Powers of Faerun. Possibly with the Saint template if good. Various other divine spellcasters (including arcane spellcasters or psionic seers also work including the generic "Spellcaster" variant).

In a ECS campaign the Sovereign Host Speaker PRC could be interesting with a divine spellcaster with a domain. The House Medani Prophet could also be pretty interesting.