PDA

View Full Version : So I have 4 egg whites...

Serpentine
2008-03-04, 11:24 PM
...and I don't like merangue (sp?). What should I do with them?

evisiron
2008-03-04, 11:59 PM
Huck 'em at cars? :smallbiggrin:

I assume you want recipes... of which I have none. Sorry.

Ego Slayer
2008-03-05, 12:16 AM
...and I don't like merangue (sp?). What should I do with them?
Give them to me, and I'll make meringue with it. >_>

Collin152
2008-03-05, 12:18 AM
Make an egg white omlette.
It's healthy and still tolerable.

Felixaar
2008-03-05, 12:22 AM
Huck 'em at cars? :smallbiggrin:

Seconded.

You could be a good patriotic aussie and make Pavlova.

DanielX
2008-03-05, 12:31 AM
Bake. Mix with another whole egg or two (or Egg Beaters), and use it for cookies, cake, or whatever else calls for eggs. I can't guarantee they'll be the tastiest cookies/etc. but it should be tastier than raw egg whites.

Weiser_Cain
2008-03-05, 12:40 AM
make egg drops

RTGoodman
2008-03-05, 12:42 AM
I don't have the exact recipe, but at our Phi Alpha Theta (history honors society) Movie Night last Friday we had a Late Empire-era Roman dinner, and the chicken dish had a "sauce" made of egg whites, pine nuts, olive oil (I think), and some other stuff.

Or just save them and make bacon and egg (whites) or something for breakfast!

Hazkali
2008-03-05, 03:15 AM
Certain sponge cake recipes call for only egg whites.

thubby
2008-03-05, 03:26 AM
make marshmallows?

Cuddly
2008-03-05, 03:33 AM
Quiche? Is that egg whites or yellows?

Bayar
2008-03-05, 03:50 AM
burnt sugar cream!

...wow, it sounds stupid in english, but it is actually good. If you are interested, I could look up the recipe...

Cuddly
2008-03-05, 03:54 AM
burnt sugar cream!

...wow, it sounds stupid in english, but it is actually good. If you are interested, I could look up the recipe...

You mean... creme brule?

Doglord
2008-03-05, 04:00 AM
[QUOTE=Felixaar;4023515]Seconded.

Thirded

Serpentine
2008-03-05, 04:02 AM
That would need whole eggs, wouldn't it?
Quiche is whole egg... actually... No, I think it was a quiche that caused these whites to be spare.
Marshmallows? Hm...
I tried to make a sponge once. It went... poorly v.v
I have pine nuts and olive oil... Any more info on how that sauce is made?
What're egg drops?
I did read somewhere that you could use two egg whites to make up for a whole egg (or one yolk, I forget), so I guess I could try just baking something normal.
Pavlova includes meringue :smallyuk:
I intended to make an omlette, but I haven't been feeling like having one.
At cars? But... they're in a cup :smallconfused:

Hrm. Thanks guys.

Cuddly
2008-03-05, 04:08 AM
Sweet & sour soup includes egg white.

Totally Guy
2008-03-05, 07:24 AM
Use them to glaze a poster to make it look more like a painting. I remember Mr Bean doing that once.

Flickerdart
2008-03-05, 07:56 AM
How did you come about 4 autonomous egg whites to begin with?

Mountain_Faerie
2008-03-05, 08:13 AM
I grew up eating these cookies because my brother was allergic to everything. They are light and tasty. I think you'll like them. And yes, it does say to turn the oven off as soon as you put the cookies in.

Forgotten Cookies

Set oven at 375 degrees.
2 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Beat very stiff and dry.
Gradually beat in 3/4 cup of sugar.
Beat until very stiff.
Beat in one teaspoon vanilla.
Fold in 12 ounce package Nestle's Semi Sweet Chocolate or Caramel Bits.
Drop in mounds by teaspoon on aluminum foil on cookie sheet. Do not
grease the foil.
Set in preheated oven.
Turn off heat immediately and do not open oven until the next morning.
Delicious!

T'ze'hai
2008-03-05, 08:17 AM
This page (http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/leftovereggwhites.htm) should help...

Serpentine
2008-03-05, 08:48 AM
Ah, thanks a lot guys, they both look good!
Dart, Goff (the bf) made a quiche that requires something like 2 eggs and 4 egg yolks.

InaVegt
2008-03-05, 09:24 AM
I grew up eating these cookies because my brother was allergic to everything. They are light and tasty. I think you'll like them. And yes, it does say to turn the oven off as soon as you put the cookies in.

Forgotten Cookies

Set oven at 375 degrees.
Beat very stiff and dry.
Beat until very stiff.
grease the foil.
Set in preheated oven.
Delicious!

Just to be sure, that's degrees Fahrenheit, right?

Simius
2008-03-05, 09:57 AM
Make an Icecream Alaska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baked_Alaska). I tried it once, and it was awesome.

Basically, you bake icecream in the oven, but it won't melt because it's isolated by a yummy layer of egg-white.

Jimblee
2008-03-05, 08:44 PM
I'd have suggested pavlova, but you don't like meringues for some reason

Oh, theres nothing quite like homemade pavlova, decorated with cream and kiwis and strawberries and.. ooh, how a be wonderin' a fish-dish right now

Or pies. Theres plenty of pies with egg white substitutes. Can't name any off the top of my head, 'cause I always screw them up at the separating part.. Most things I'm told to substitute egg whites instead of eggs, just to make them 'better for you', and apparently it doesn't ruin the flavor?

Could always salt the cup and drink it straight down.. I'm sure something good will come of it. Something always does when you take risks!

RandomLogic
2008-03-05, 08:49 PM
I think you can make angel food cake with a bunch of egg whites...

I'd have to ask my sister as she is the baker. I'm just the cook.

Collin152
2008-03-05, 10:23 PM
I think you can make angel food cake with a bunch of egg whites...

I'd have to ask my sister as she is the baker. I'm just the cook.

But who's the chef?

Nibleswick
2008-03-05, 11:29 PM
You could make Divinity (http://southernfood.about.com/od/candyrecipes/r/blbb355.htm).

Mountain_Faerie
2008-03-06, 07:13 AM
Just to be sure, that's degrees Fahrenheit, right?

You got it!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-06, 07:24 AM

Forgotten Cookies

Set oven at 375 degrees.
Beat very stiff and dry.
Beat until very stiff.
grease the foil.
Set in preheated oven.
Delicious!

Seconded with some notes : 1 They are not forgotten, only rarely encountered. 2 I usually vary the teaspoon of salt around 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt. 3 why do you use teaspoons so much? I don't really need them that much, when you have experiene making them, though its good for beginners.
Overal, a good advice!

Ashtar
2008-03-06, 08:06 AM
Hazelnut macarons ?

I don't have my family recipie at hand so here's one that close:

http://thym-thym.blogspot.com/2007/02/macarons-aux-noisetteshazelnut-macarons.html

Mountain_Faerie
2008-03-06, 08:50 AM
Seconded with some notes : 1 They are not forgotten, only rarely encountered. 2 I usually vary the teaspoon of salt around 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt. 3 why do you use teaspoons so much? I don't really need them that much, when you have experiene making them, though its good for beginners.
Overal, a good advice!

1. We called them Forgotten Cookies because you could just walk away and have a nice surprise the next morning. What do you call them?
2. I bet they are even better with less salt.
3. It's Mom's recipe. I pulled it from my email. She's a stickler for details.

I'm glad to hear someone else knows what they are and likes them.

Felixaar
2008-03-07, 05:41 AM
Woah, woah, serpo, you dont eat Pavlova? Why havent you been kicked out of this country yet? Next you'll be telling me you dont know who Donald Bradman is.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-03-07, 11:03 AM
Well, if you had more egg whites than four (like 10-12), I'd say go ahead and make angel food cake.

reorith
2008-03-08, 05:36 AM
i'll give you nineteen dollars to snort them.

Jammeez
2008-03-08, 05:29 PM
:smalleek: *spittake*

ROFLMAO

(I'll give you nineteen dollars to define the term "spittake"):smallbiggrin:

Renegade Paladin
2008-03-09, 02:13 PM
Bake bread. Brush the outside with egg white; it makes it crusty.

Dragonrider
2008-03-09, 02:19 PM
Bake bread. Brush the outside with egg white; it makes it crusty.

That's how my mom makes bagels.
They should be a dessert, not a breakfast, they're so good.... :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2008-03-10, 07:15 AM
i'll give you nineteen dollars to snort them.

I'll double it. Pics or it didnt happen.

We dont have bagels in Australia T.T We can get em at supermarkets but they're just not the same. I dont see why you're complaining about eating dessert quality foods for breakfast though. Cookies for Breakfast wooooooO!

Farmer42
2008-03-10, 07:19 AM
Get a few more eggs, a spring-form pan, some graham crackers and butter, 2.5 lbs of cream cheese, a boatload of sugar, and you have yourself a cheesecake. And of course I forgot the module I wrote my recipe in the back of at home. That's right, mixing D&D and baking.

Serpentine
2008-03-10, 07:21 AM
Yes we-
Oh. Supermarket ones don't count... I suppose the cafes just get the supermarket ones, too... Hey, bagels are just boiled, aren't they? Anyone have a recipe for those? Are they hard?
By the way, I ended up using most of those egg whites in crepes and gave the rest to my cat. Then I made tried to make a creme brulee tart, which uses 5 egg yolks, so now I have more... :smallsigh: I'm thinking I'll probably have a shot at those biscuits.

...In case you're curious, I tried to squish some big bubbles in the pastry and cracked the whole thing, which caused the filling to drip out of it :smallsigh: :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2008-03-21, 06:48 AM
Just an update, I finally decided to use them all in a maple iced angel food cake, recipe thusly:
Maple Iced Angel Food Cake Recipe

Cake
1 1/2 cups
1 1/4 tsp
1/2 tsp
1 1/4 cups
1 1/8 cups
1 tsp
3 Tb
Icing
1/4 cup
1 Tb
1 1/2 cups

Egg whites ( about 12 eggs, room temp )
Cream of Tartar
Salt
Granulated sugar
Sifted Cake flour
Pure Vanilla extract
Pure Maple syrup

Pure Maple syrup
Egg white
Confectioner's Sugar

Oven Temp ~ 350° Baking Time ~ 30 - 55 Min.
Pan Type ~ 10 inch tube pan or 6 miniature ones

Preheat oven,

Whip the egg whites in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer) until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the mixer funning, gradually add 1 cup of the granulated sugar and continue whipping until the egg whites are stiff, about 30 seconds more.

Sift remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar together with the sifted cake flour 3 times, to aerate the mixture. Fold into the egg whites, then fold in the vanilla and maple syrup.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased 9 to 10-inch tube pan or 6 miniature ones. Smooth the top with the back of the spoon. Bake until light golden brown, 30 to 55 minutes. Cool by hanging the cake (in the pan) upside down around the neck of a bottle until it cools to room temperature. Run a long, sharp knife blade around the cake to loosen it, and then knock the cake out onto a plate. The outside crumb of the cake will remain in the pan; exposing the white cake underneath.

Icing: Stir the ingredients together until smooth. Pour over the top of the cake and spread with a spatula, letting the glaze trickle down the sides. Let set for at least 30 minutes, or until the icing is hard, before serving. Slice with a serrated knife, using a sawing motion.

It was ridiculously sweet, but very tasty. Thanks for all your help!