PDA

View Full Version : Fall of the Empire - IC

Pages : [1] 2

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-05, 03:57 AM
You enter to visit the king at last, you've been asked to leave your military detachments and abandon your current missions for this audience. Some have traveled directly from battle fields, away from constant skirmishes with the arab forces, others have simply been traveling in the kings company. But now you are all here, ready to serve wherever he needs you.

As you enter and perform the elaborate salutation ceremony, you can't fail to notice the meager hall in which the audience is held. The room is small compared to the throne room in Ctesiphon, with almost no decoration. The only indication that this in fact is the throne room of the persian emperor is the throne itself. You can probably recognize it with little difficulty, oddly missing from the room is the constant companion of the throne, drafshe kaviani, the bejeweled standard of the persian empire. Another odd aspect that you undoubtedly notice is the complete lack of courtiers, guards and staff in the room. In fact apart from you and the king no one is present.

Those who arrived fresh from the battle fields are shocked when the king turns around, he is a shell of the figure you recall seeing only a year ago. He looks tired and old, much older than any 47 year old should look. He sits on the throne and starts speaking.

"I have received grave news, from our spies within the ranks of the enemy, they are turning their attention to egypt and Heracleus will not be able to stop them." He sighs, and hesitates for a second. Then continues by giving you a short description of how he thinks the arab armies will take Egypt while the Byzantine armies are tied down in Syria and Mesopotamia.

"There are things that needs to be done there, and evil to be quashed." He stops again and sighs. Looks down at you with great concern and asks

"What do you think of magic? Can it be used to level towns and destroy armies?"

Yazdgerd stops talking after asking the question, as if he is waiting for you to answer. However court etiquette dictates that you can not address the king directly, nor can you ignore him or the question. You are all well aware the grave consequences of doing so.

The consequence of addressing the king (if you are not one of the very few privileged to do so) is death, so is the penalty of disobeying him and not answering a question asked of you.

Those of you, who are more familiar with the king, or have better peoples skills (i.e. Seth, Ista, Jayanti, Pedram)

You can tell from his tone of voice and his short hesitation that he is not at ease with the idea of sending you on this mission. You know your abilities and that of your comrades, and people of your rank are not usually commissioned personally by the king. But then again scores of the best persian fighters fell in the battle of Al-Qadisiyyah, and he might not have much choice.

For those more familiar with the court (would be Jayanti and Seth I'd say):

Normally there will be another person in the room, who would repeat the kings question, you would answer him loud enough for the king to hear. That position in hereditary and a jealously guarded one.

Last for Jayanti and Ista:

You've both run across legends and fairy tales, describing magic that's destructive, armies whipped away by single powerful magi and towns destroyed by the wrath of the gods. You however recognize it as fairy tales and fables with no bearing on the real world. So the kings question, to put it mildly, seems stupid to both of you.

Sxoa
2008-03-05, 09:44 AM
Jayanti steps forward and turns so that her back is facing the corner of the room and both the Emperor and the party are within her field of vision.

She says to her assembled comrades, "What do you think of magic? Can it be used to level towns and destroy armies?"

Still talking to her comrades as she is not one of the few privileged enough to address the king, "My friends, I have heard tales of powerful sorcery. Spells that sink kingdoms or rain fire from the sky. But I believe these are just tales and nothing more. No magic that I have seen or felt can cut so much as a blade of grass let alone an armored man."

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-05, 06:46 PM
Ista shuffles a bit, starts to talk, but mainly looks at his feet (using his low charisma to full advantage here).

"Destructive magic is well established in the mythology of many cultures. Obviously, we are all familiar with the demon Indra, who wields the thunderbolt to strike down his enemies. The Indians, of course, also recognise the same god. In the time of Alexander, the Greeks believed that their chief god, Zeus, used a similar weapon. The Abrahamic faiths, from the Coptics, to Rome, the Byzantines, the Hebrews, and the Arabs, have a story of the Ark of the Covenant. This is a large, wooden receptacle for their commandments and was used in a ritual by their priests to destroy the city walls in Jericho.

In the past, the gods and demons may have taken an active roll in our world, but, it would seem that, today, they are only heard in whispers. "

Does knowledge: arcana or knowledge: religion provide any information beyond what you previously told us? [roll0]

Bandededed
2008-03-05, 09:27 PM
Matias

Looking at Jayanti, and trying to keep the king in the edge of his peripheral vision, Matias answers in a deep voice:

"Heard, but not seen. In all of my years and battles, never have I come across something with that kind of destructive force,"
He unconsciously rubs at a scar at his arm. "Only have I felt the pain of metal and bone,"

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-06, 12:02 AM
The king smiles as Jayanti react quickly to solve the dilemma you faced. He waits for everyone to finish what they have to say.

"Bold enough to ignore the court etiquette, usurp a hereditary function, and speak in front of me, you are more willful than my reports suggest."

"Magic, as you've mentioned, seems to have almost completely disappeared from our world. But it was offered along with demonstrations that left no doubt at its powers three times to three different men."

"The detail are not known to me, and no man alive knows more than I do. What I know is that when Darius the great conquered egypt, an offer was made to him. By an evil being, locked in an ancient egyptian tomb. He was offered the power to rule the world and to have magic at his disposal unrivaled by even the strangest of legends, in return he would free the creature. He refused the offer, and locked down the devil where he had found it. There it laid in rest for hundreds of years, until Alexander arrived in Egypt. Again the offer was made and refused. Last was Augustus, tempted the same way, and realizing the dangers, he created a more elaborate prison to hold the devil. He build this prison well hidden from the men hidden in secret passages under the library of Alexandria. The building housing the library lies in ruins, it's destruction ordered by Theophilus. But I am certain the prison is still safe, as we would've know had it been freed."

"Of course knowing what I have told you, you realize that offers were made to all significant conquerers who have come to contact this evil. What happens when the arabs reach egypt is therefore of great concern, not only to us the persians, but too the Romans, the Byzantine and every other kingdom big or small in this world."

"Your mission, therefore is to make your way to egypt and prevent our enemies from getting a similar offer." He climbs down his throne and walk to a table against the wall, and you notice a book resting on the table.

He motions you to come closer, and continues "This book contains, all that is known about the subject. The great magi Firouz, discovered how to destroy this evil many years ago, going to egypt with Khosrow to rid the world of this danger once and for all. Naturally you are all aware of the defeats we suffered there. Firouz did not have enough time to gather what he needed in egypt, he stayed behind to finish the job, but he went missing and never reported back. It is safe to assume that he has failed to accomplish his objective. He however left two copies of his instructions. One was with him, and is most likely destroyed, this is the second."

"Take it, and use it to destroy this danger. May Ahura-Mazda help you and persia." He steps aside opening the way for one of you to take the book and waits to see what you do.

Same people who felt his uneasiness, can tell that he is more relaxed after you answered his question, as if he thinks better of you as a result.

All of you know by this point that things are so far away from the normal ritual of an audience that pick up the book will not push it further away (normally such act would've been unthinkable, but normally he wouldn't have come down from the throne, nor would he beckon you to walk closer, or prayer for you.)

@IAmNotJeff: The knowledge check doesn't give you any more information.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-06, 12:23 AM
Seth

At the King's question, Seth's face shows a momentary discomfort, then goes back to impassive. He makes an ancient salute, no longer used, which carries the meaning 'I offer my life in service.' to the king, then bows. His eyes remain fixed on the feet of the king, and, as the king continues to talk, his eyes go distant, as if he is carrying on an internal dialogue.

He must trust these others... Or they would not be here. He considers this mission of the utmost importance, it is obvious. I can not fail. I will not fail

When the king finishes talking for the second time, Seth slowly moves to the table, strokes the book cover, then slides it into a bag at his side.

He turns, returns to the group, then faces the king, bowing deeply and giving the salute once more.

Sxoa
2008-03-06, 04:26 PM
What is going on here?

Jiyanti struggles for words, a sensation she does not oft experience, "...Umm...Of course your highness. On this journey shall we fly the Persian standard or shall we be as... discreet... as possible?

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-06, 09:23 PM
Pedram simply stood there quietly with tension in his brow communicating his concerns plainly enough. The cataphract's kind features and innocent brown eyes seemed out of place on the face of a veteran warrior. One would be forgiven for thinking that 31 year-old Pedram would be more in his element at home with a wife, bouncing a healthy child or two on his knee, rather than astride a charging stallion, tilting lances at formations of enemy soldiers. But there he was, clad in heavy lamellar armor, with a sword at his hip, a helmet tucked under one arm, and a shield lashed across his back. So fresh off the battlefield was he that the wetness of a bloody hand print still showed dark against the breast of his crimson tabard.

He would continue to stand there in stunned silence, as the others certainly knew by now, until he had something to say. For the moment words escape him, and he is thankful to have the likes of silver-tongued Jayanti around to break the silence and ask the questions that should be on the tip of his own tongue. Deep in his chest, he feels a knot of worry twist and tighten. Was this the threat, the danger that kept him awake at night?

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-06, 11:59 PM
The King seems surprised by Jayanti's question, but he answers promptly nevertheless. "I am certain that flying the persian standard will only cause you trouble once you leave persia."

He then takes out a small bag seemingly from an inside pocket, and removes a metal plate from it. You instantly recognize the ornate square, it signifies the kings trust and is carried by people on official business.

"and while you are still in persia, this will be more useful than flying our flag." He then puts the badge back in the bag and places the bag on the table, exactly where the book used to be.

In the interest of moving things forward, I'm assuming one of you, most likely seth picks up this bag. If this is not the case post your actions and I will edit this post.

Ista and Jayanti:

You know the plate will be useful, but you also know that not all satraps are loyal to the king at this point in time. And the ones who are not, will be very threatened by the appearance of an official carrying one of these badges. Generally speaking, the eastern provinces are less loyal than the western ones.

He then continues, "Officially, you have been summoned here so you can be honored for your services. I never assigned you a mission, never talked to you about dangers in other parts of the world, and did not give you a book or a badge, and nobody broke the court etiquette here today."

He then walks to his throne and seats himself. His face grows hard as he look down and you can recognize the change in his demeanor, he is once again the unapproachable shahanshah of persia. Signaling with his hand he indicates the end of this audience.

Susa is a small town at this point in time, an old town but small and rather insignificant.

The military men among you are not attached to a company since they have been called to the city, they can room in the barracks by showing the order calling them to Susa.

The others who travel with in court already have quarters assigned to them.

I need to know what you will be doing immediately after the audience, how long you will stay in town before your departure, what you will do during that time. and where you'll be heading when you do leave.

Bandededed
2008-03-07, 12:36 AM
Matias

After exiting the kings chamber, Matias grunts a rather abrupt, "Leave upon the morrow?" and looks to the others expectantly.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-07, 12:46 PM
Ista follows Matias from the room and waits for the corridor to be empty to talk with the others.

"Friends, this is a very serious business, and we have some difficult decisions to make.

On the one hand, this offer has been rejected three times before, so it may be rejected again. It may, therefore, be more important to guarantee that a copy of these notes is maintained safely for the future. On the other, this offer may not be rejected, so we should act quickly. I agree with Matias that we should leave as soon as possible, but we should also make an effort to ensure that a second copy of this book is made and the original returned to Yazdgerd.

Determining a route will also be tricky. Three routes immediately suggest themselves. We can go north to the Caspian, sale to the Khazar territory, cross by land to the Black Sea, and sail from there to Alexandria. We can ride directly from here, through Persia, through Arabia, through the Sinai, and into Egypt. We can travel south, to the Persian Gulf, sail south around the Arabian peninsula, sail up to the end of the Red Sea, and travel briefly onto Alexandria. Jiyanti or anyone else, do you speak Khazar? I'm afraid I do not, and I fear the first route maybe quite lengthy. The second route will involve crossing two military frontiers, first into Arab territory, and second into Roman.

I would suggest the third route. We may be able to book passage on a merchant vessel. Ideally, we could persuade a loyal Persian merchant to take us the entire route, by impressing on him the importance, but not the details, of our mission, and showing him the badge. Depending on the weather, we could entirely avoid contact with the Arabian peninsula. Even stopping for supplies a few times, disguised as merchants, we would stand a good chance of resupplying without difficulty. Once we land in Egypt, we should not have difficulty traveling through Roman territory. A sailing ship should be able to handle us, our horses, and our guards, assuming none of you have too many. "

CGCL_Andy: can you correct me if any of the geography I've described is incorrect.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-07, 01:42 PM
Seth

As nobody else moves to take the badge, Seth claims it as well. After leaving the room, he listens seriously to Ista's proposal. "As we are attempting stealth, perhaps we should make contact with the spymaster... he may know of a ship that flies another countries' flag... one that would draw less attention, but be equally reliable and secure."

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-07, 02:38 PM
Ista nods, "Spymaster. Foreign flag. Good ideas."

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-07, 06:20 PM
If the other characters don't object, Ista would like to look at the book. How big is it? What language is it written in? How long would it take to read? To copy?

Sxoa
2008-03-07, 06:29 PM
Jayanti nods at Ista's words and strokes the thin stubble artfully pasted onto her chin, "I alas do not know their tongue, but I have a talent for languages. We could get by if needed. Christian priests will know Latin, so we can obtain translator with no difficulty I suspect, and any merchants in the area will likely speak Greek if they have dealings with the Byzantines."
Jayanti has the wanderer's diplomacy feat so we can get by with limited communication no matter where we go (it takes a week or so
"I agree that the last route seems the easiest, but we would be sailing around the heart of our enemy. We do not know if there will be unfriendly eyes on the lookout for us and it only takes one loose tongue of a drunken sailor when we are stopped in an Arabic port to alert the enemy to our presence. Even if we fly another nation's flag this is still a danger...

While the first would be longer, it does have the advantage of taking us away from the invaders. Perhaps we do not need to go so far as the Khazaars? We could perhaps cross through Albania to the Black Sea? Or even still we could ride through Persian territories for most of the way, and make a short crossing through Roman or Iberian lands to black sea. I have no mind of one over the other, I merely am making possibilities and concerns known.

I agree that we should make a copy if not copies of the book, but this can be done as we travel I think. I know my letters and can work at this by oil lamp or candle light."
Map of the area (http://thomaslessman.com/History/images/East-Hem_610ad.jpg), though modified presumably by an expanding Caliphate and a collapsing Sassanid Empire.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-08, 12:02 AM
Seth

Raising an eyebrow, he responds to Jayanti, "To spell it out, I suggest we travel on a vessel that actually works for our government in an espionage and covert transport capacity. One with a crew that appears normal, but is composed of trusted, well trained loyalists... wolves in sheeps clothing. Or at least ones who know to keep their mouths shut." He smiles. "Trust me, the spymaster is not exactly prone to mistakes."

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-08, 04:37 AM
I'm assuming this conversation is either happening in Seth or Jayanti's quarters, or in a private room in the first Inn you can find. The corridor behind the audience chamber is not a good place to discuss missions that the king wants to keep under the wraps, nor is the street just outside the palace. Neither place is a good place for ista to take the book out, and these are of course details your characters all know. Please let me know where you are.

Ista studies the book for a short while, the first couple of pages are written in standard persian and are basically giving a slightly more detailed account of what the king already told you.

After that the book is written in a language none of you understands, it's still using the persian script, but the language is unfamiliar to all of you.

Sxoa is right about the map, it's basically correct with the exception of the arab expansion. The persians hold no land in the arab peninsula at this point, and have lost most of their land west of Zagros mountains. The byzantine empire has lost what it held in Mesopotamia, and is therefore disconnected from its egyptian holdings on land.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-08, 06:48 AM
If Seth or Jayanti permits, we should probably be in their quarters.

Presumably, all of modern Iraq is under Arab control, if they've taken Ctesiphon, but I suppose that might still leave us with land access in the north to the border kingdoms, going to the Caspian. CGCl_Andy could you clarify this for us?

While looking at the book, Ista rubs his eyes, paces to the fire place, says some prayers, and flicks some grit from his pouch into the fire. He then returns to study the book further.

Does comprehend languages help here, or is the second part of the book in code?

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-08, 09:42 AM
Pedram wears his frown all the way back to Jayanti's quarters, where it only deepens. Looking a touch weary, he takes a seat and rests one hand on the pommel of his sword.

"All this talk of disguises and cover ups, spymasters and even running up a foreign flag," Pedram says quietly, even apologetically. "I.. have no talent for this. Please excuse me if I have little to contribute, but know that if you four came up with a hundred plans, I would still trust my life to any of them."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-08, 03:12 PM
Seth

"Pedram, right?" He pauses for confirmation. "We each have our own areas of expertise. I wouldn't let it worry you." He smiles. "I'm sure we will each of us be needed on this mission." He pauses again. "So. Is everyone O.K. with the 'going by boat' idea in general? If so, we should get in touch with the Spymaster, see what he can get organized for us.... I mean, in the current state of affairs, the resources might not even be available..."

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-08, 07:57 PM
Ista struggles with the book and still has no idea what language it's written in. As you are sitting around the table, discussing the options and just as Ista gives up on examining the book, you hear someone knocking on the door:

"Open this door, in the name of the law and Bozorg Farmadar Anushiravan."

Anushiravan is a name familiar to all of you. Holding a position equivalent to the western vice-chancellor, he is the second most powerful man in the empire after the king.
Jayanti:

You have heard rumors around that the man is not loyal to the king, these are mostly wild speculations suggesting anything from him having dealings with the arabs, to him trying to set the stage for a coup by Bahram (Yazdgerd's cousin.)

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-08, 08:27 PM
Seth

Immediately upon hearing the voice, Seth swiftly closes the book and puts it back in his bag, then assumes a casual position in his chair.

Bandededed
2008-03-08, 09:17 PM
Matias

After Seth stashes the book, Matias stands up and slowly begins to walk toward the door. If none of his companions object, he will open it.

He makes sure to look at each of them before he reaches it, and to take note of anything in the room he may need later, just in case. (Scouting habit).

He tries not to make any noise, again, just in case.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-09, 01:56 PM
Ista nods to Matias.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-09, 11:12 PM
Matias looking around the room: Assuming that this is Jayanti's quarters, I'll let Sxoa describe it. When Jayanti moved in (about a month ago) the room was furnished but nondescript, just having a bare minimum of furniture to provide one with life necessities (no cooking equipment or kitchen, as a member of the court Jayanti's meals were provided by the courts kitchens.)

Matias opens the door, and two guards walk into the room and stand on the sides of the door. They are dressed in ceremonial armor, and have purple colored bands around their arms.

After them walks in an officer of the royal guard also dressed in the formal attire. Lower in rank than most present he salutes you and hands a rolled scroll to Matias. After Matias accepts it he says, "I have been instructed to carry a reply back to Bozorg Farmadar."

Assuming that Matias reads the letter. It's an invitation to an audience by by Anushiravan. It instructs you to meet him the day after tomorrow 2 hours past noon in his chamber in the court.

Those familiar with court practices know that the invitation is an invitation only in name, in reality it's an order to meet him. The officer will wait until you announce you will go (or that you will not, but then another group may come to arrest you.)

In case you are curious it's about 4 PM when the message is delivered.

If you are curious about the officer or the guards, here is what you know:

None of you know the guards. The purple bands identifies them as being directly under Anushiravan.

Jayanti and Seth know a bit more about the officer:

Jayanti:

You've seen the officer around the palace in Ctesiphon mainly doing what he is doing now (i.e. delivering important messages and formal invitations from the king or vice chancellor.)

Seth:

You actually know the man. A young man named Bahram from one of the old aristocratic families. His family has used their influence to keep him off the battle field so far, and he is not happy about it at all. But his is not strong headed enough to defy his powerful father.

Bandededed
2008-03-10, 08:22 AM
I read the letter aloud

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-10, 01:59 PM
Ista looks to Jiyanti.

Sxoa
2008-03-10, 02:45 PM
Jayanti's quarters are a thesis in bad taste. The decorations are masculine but effete, and everything is garish and distracting. They are humble in comparison to her old quarters but still ridiculously and tastelessly lavish given the current circumstances. Most of the stuff is actually quite worthless however and under careful scrutiny is obviously fluffed up junk. She has an extensive wardrobe however with a dizzying array of courtier clothes, and a small shrine in the back of her closet. Numerous draperies help to muffle all sound and the thick heavy door is padded on the interior to making listening through it extraordinarily difficult. The entire tone and feel of the room is designed to and succeeds at putting people ill at ease with bright clashing colors and disturbingly bad and bizarrely themed pieces of art.
She also keeps numerous disguises squirreled away, but they're less obvious.
"A most eloquent reading Matias. When we defeat the invaders perhaps you'll consider being a herald."

She turns to the officer and says obsequiously, pressing her fingertips together and bobbing her head back and forth, "Two days you say? Hmmm, yes, well you see I have been asked by the king to look in on his harem. You know... us eunuchs and all that, wouldn't be tempted by such delights, and keep others in line. And such delights they are! Apparently one of the poor girls is suffering from some sort of erm... curse. As you know I have some talents in the arcane arts..."

Jayanti flourishes and makes a small wilted flower appear in her hand, then runs her hand over it and miraculously it whole again.
Take ten on slight of hand gives me 21, which should be enough to succeed at a simple trick like that
Jayanti continues in the same manner, My good friend Ista here is to accompany me as well. He is as you know priest of the great and mighty Ahura-Mazda. Together we shall surely be able to overcome this small evil. And of course one cannot forget our newly assigned honor guard."
Jayanti gestures at the others with a sweeping gesture before carrying on,
We truly have such a generous and kind king, do we not? Fear not! We shall strive with the upmost dilligence..."

Jayanti lays a soothing hand on the guards arm to help put him at ease,

"...to have the girl back in the king's... service as soon as is possible. I have consulted with Ista here, and we have concluded that it will take us at least. At least! We think at least three days of ritual purging, prayers and constant oversight to cure the girl. We of course mean no disrespect to his eminence, Anushiravan, but the king wishes these matters to be resolved quickly and erm... discreetly. I trust you will of course know to hold your tongue on such matters as appropriate?"

She gives a long hard look at the guards, squinting one eye and looking mildly suspicious to put them on the defensive.

"Your master will of course be understanding that the king's orders take precedence over his yes? We will gladly meet with him after we are done. Perhaps three days, after he takes his supper? We should be done by then. If not we will of course send word and our most sincere apologies."
With my minor aura on (which is always the case unless stunned or unconscious) and the bonus from the gentle touch I get a [roll0] on my bluff check.

EDIT: I hope that covers it...
She ushers them out with excuses of work to do and preparations to be made along with her sincerest apologies.

Once they are gone and the heavy door closes behind them, she pauses for a moment before turning back to the others.
"Well ****..."

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-10, 11:55 PM
The officer motions the guards to follow him out of the room. "I will carry your response back to Bozorg Farmadar."

Those familiar with the court know that, there will be a response from Anushiravan. It can take anywhere between an hour to one day to come, and it may come in a few different forms depending on how much he investigates your story before responding, here are the rough possibilities:

1. a very quick response may come, acknowledging your prior orders and an invitation for a later day. This will be the result of no investigation, or directly probing the king (who will back your story).
2. He may take longer and ask his contacts in the palace for more detailed information, if he suspects that you have not been completely honest he may insist on the original meeting time.
3. He may take even longer and do a thorough investigation, if he becomes certain that you've lied he will send men to escort you to him.

Basically what you know is the shorter the response time the better your chances of him buying your story. If you don't hear from him by tomorrow around noon, you can be sure the response won't be very friendly.

At this point the stage is set: I want you guys to discuss amongst yourself what you want to do, plan a rough course of action and announce what you will be doing for the rest of today (about 4 hours to sunset.)

(you can do this IC or OOC if you don't want to role play all the conversations. Here is the link to the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74127) thread.)

I will check in to answer questions you may have, but I won't post until thursday evening to give you time to discuss you plans (unless a consensus is reached earlier.) Then I will move the plot forward incorporating your decisions.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-11, 04:22 AM
Ista looks to the rest of the party.

"I have the strong impression that we will need to travel to the temple of Ahura-Mazda in Ctesiphon to decipher this book. I favoured the southern, sea route, but I think this will rule it out.

I'm not sure what asking for a two-day delay in meeting Anushiravan achieved. Jiyanti and Seth, if you have some additional information about this situation, please let us know.

From my current information, I think we should either chase the messenger to accept the original invitation or leave immediately. If we leave, we should leave a false trail of rumours to disguise our path.

(I'm going to France until Sunday. I've heard they don't have the internet or vegetarian food there, so I'm not sure I'll be able to post until then. I've said all I know. I'll let Pedram cast proxy votes for me until then, if I'm not able to vote.)

Sxoa
2008-03-12, 12:11 AM
"Ista may unfortunately be right concerning Ctesiphon, though I pray not. My lord Seth's plan here is a solid one. Such intrigues you and your spy master weave, it is too dizzying for a simple courtier like myself..."
She shakes her head in an exaggerated fashion.
"The reason for my attempted delay is that there are rumors circulating around Anushiravan that suggest he is not so entirely loyal to the king as one would hope. Granted they usually come across as wild speculations suggesting that he has dealings with the invaders or is trying to set the stage for a coup by his cousin, or even one to achieve the other or so on and so forth. Still though as master Seth here can attest to, rumors often have a grain of truth in them and are often a good starting place to begin following the loosest of threads back to the core of a matter.

We of course have more important tasks to carry out and it is with that task in mind that I think that it is far to much of a coincidence that he should summon us right after this meeting with the king.

I asked for a slightly larger delay to give us some extra time in getting a move on. We will likely be watched but I can help with that in the form of disguises,"
With that Jayanti hauls a large case out from under her bed and begins pulling out different outfits from many different walks of life. She continues talking while holding them at arms length in front of the various other members of the group.
"I hope that by only asking for a day not too much suspicion will be aroused. The king will corroborate my tale if asked, but a more thorough investigation, which someone of Anushiravan's rank is capable of carrying out, will burn away my falsehoods like the morning mist. By leaving it open ended we may yet get another day out of it without even having to ask, but I suspect we shan't get any more than that my friends, and that is only if we are fortunate and favored by our respective higher powers. Regardless I think it behooves us to get out of town as quickly and as quietly as possible. I will leave the setting our course to wiser minds, but I cannot stress enough that expediency is likely to be a great asset here."

She goes on to explain the listed likely outcomes.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-12, 12:26 AM
Seth

Seth smiles at Ista's comment. "My intrigues tend to be... straightforward... and .. .. short-lived." His eyes sparkle dangerously, leaving little doubt as to his meaning. "As to the matter of Ctesiphon... The mere fact that he was not there for our meeting with the king tells us enough." He pauses, then continues. "We should leave as soon as possible, and sow confusion as to our goals. If we are believed to be traitors, so much the better.... A traitor is apt to believe others are like him."

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-12, 11:12 PM
If it did nothing for the guards, Jayanti's tale of harems and 'cursed' serving girls at least brought a flush to Pedram's scandalized cheeks. Worse, when she pulls out a case full of disguises, the cataphract unintentionally skitters back a step as though the woman had brandished a flaming scimitar at him.

"I agree that we should leave immediately, but are you certain that disguises are really necessary, Jayanti? You've already spun what I must admit was a very.. convincing tale to explain our exit. Provided Anushiravan is convinced - and we shall hear his reply soon or not at all - we have the authority to go as we please. If there is a price to be paid for leaving on short notice, then we'll pay it when the greater threat to Persia is dealt with."

It is everything Pedram can do not to pace.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-14, 01:11 AM
Jayanti takes out props, cloth and a make up set gets to work disguising herself and Seth. The two leave to meet with the spymaster and pack up and bring back Seth's travel pack.

Meanwhile Ista goes to meet with his lackey and get him to get the animals ready to leave the next morning. While Pedram and Matias stay at Jayanti's quarters waiting for everyone else to return.

I will let Sxoa describe the disguise, not matter what she is creating she will do it successfully and they will get to the spymaster's quarters without any trouble.

Ista has no trouble finding his lackey and giving him the necessary orders and returns to Jayanti's room quickly.

@IamNotJeff: do you want to name this lackey? Also apart from packing the animals and having them ready at down, do you have other orders for him?

Jayanti and Seth arrive at the spymaster's quarters. After knocking on the door and waiting a short while an old man opens the door. Taking a look at the two, he immediately opens the doors wide and rushes you in. After you are in and he has closed the door he turns around and say "Seth, my child, what is wrong?"

Seth of course knows almost anything there is to know about the spymaster, he is the man's adopted son after all.

Jayanti, knows him as a very effective spymaster, a very important political figure, and immensely loyal to the king.

Let me know what you guys want to talk to him about. If there are specific requests bring them up, if there are specific questions ask them. In general he will do his best to help Seth, as long as what is being asked is reasonable, and Seth knows it.

Last the messenger from Anushiravan didn't come back during the evening or night. So your expecting that he is investigating Jayanti's story. Therefore you decide leaving at down is your best option.

Sxoa
2008-03-16, 07:19 AM
Jayanti's disguises are simple affairs, making the two agents look like simple palace servants. The high and mighty often do not even notice the ubiquitous presence of the lowly staff.

Once they meet the spymaster, Jayanti greets the man warmly but beyond that lets Seth do the talking.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-16, 02:51 PM
Ista tells Pedram

"There is no dishonour in wearing disguises to leave our own city. It is a basic matter of strategy, that you do not need to tell your enemy how you plan to maneuver your troops on the battle field. We should not need to lie to anyone. We will merely keep them ignorant of our plans.

Similarly, it will be wise if, when we leave the city, we conceal the tracks of our horses, so that others cannot follow us.

I'm going to see that my equipment is put in order. I will return in an hour."

Ista then leaves to meet Remo and inform him that we will leave on short notice at some time within the next two days. A more precise time will be set after this evening's meeting.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-16, 03:16 PM
Ista's point of view was certainly food for thought, and Pedram takes his time digesting it. Isn't there dishonour in sneaking about in a disguise? Ista is right about concealing our tracks.. there is sense in that. Good tactics, as the man says. Now how is that any different than wearing a disguise?

When Ista returns much later, Pedram is at last ready with the answer to his soul searching. "It still feels.. underhanded," he tells the cleric abruptly, as though the hour-long pause in their conversation had been only a moment, "the disguises, I mean. But perhaps it is only my pride that is offended, not my ethics," he admits. "I will do what is necessary to see this mission through, my pride be damned."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-16, 04:29 PM
Seth

sorry bout the little lapse here, weekends.

Seth bows formally, his smile, but the look in his eyes, and the way they never leave the Spymasters' indicates the level of friendship they share. "It seems we must go on a trip for the king... myself and 3 companions. Our first stop is the temple of Ahura-Mazda... then we must travel yet further, to Egypt. We had hoped to get assistance quietly exiting the city, and perhaps some names of safe-houses along the way. Honestly, I do not have much experience venturing far from the city... I had hoped also to call upon your experience, and your knowledge."

Bandededed
2008-03-16, 10:07 PM
Matias

Matias approaches Ista slowly, and says: "Sneaky or underhanded, it matters not. I don't want some foolish Arab taking an offer too great for any mortal. Any delays come at a great cost. With such a delay looming, wearing a disguise is merely prudent"

After his speech, he seems a little put off, as though he'd said far more than he was comfortable with. Nodding to the others, he moves to the other side of the room an begins doing some light exercises. Nothing better to hone a body, except a mind, he thinks.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-17, 02:16 AM
@Jael_Darkwood: I think Seth is traveling with 4 companions + 1 hired help/butler of sorts.

The servant mentioned is trusted by Seth and Kavuus, the spymaster, so his presence will not change what you say.

Kavuus introduces himself to Jayanti and guides the two inside an inner room. He claps once and a servant enters and starts serving tea. While Seth talks, Kavuus interrupts a couple of times to ask questions and to clarify the details. He knows better to inquire about the nature of the mission, but he is interested in knowing from whom the party is hiding and how fast it needs to move.

Once he learns of Anushiravan's invitation and your response, he says "You shouldn't waste any time, leave tonight if you can. I don't think leaving the city in plain sight is wise, not if Anushiravan is investigating you. Use the cover of the night, and leave the town on foot immediately." As he is talking he walks to yet another room and comes back with a map, where he points to a road and continues "Take the road to Ctesiphon, travel for 20 miles and set up camp away from there road. Keep an eye on the road, I will send your packs and your mounts your way. Tonight, travel light and take only the bare necessities. You need to sneak past the guards without being noticed, and you need to move fast once you are on the road."

He rolls up the map and passes it to Seth saying "keep a copy of this map, it's not as up-to-date as I would've liked it to be. The political landscape is changing rather quickly at this time, and I can't always keep track of all the changes. I do know that Ctesiphon has not changed much, the Arabs looted the palace and some of the richer houses, but everyday life has not changed much. Last I had news, the temple or the sacred fire within were not harmed. Nor was Hormoz, the old devil is still in business and might be able to help you after you arrive there"

@Seth:

Hormoz (as Seth knows) is publicly a trader living in Ctesiphon, privately he has been running a major thieves guild in the area for a very long time. A shady character, Seth knows to be careful around him, he is certainly not above selling a friend to the enemy for the right price.

He has for many years been Kavuus's contact, his thieves hear news all over Mesopotamia in roman and persian cities, and he passes the important ones to Kavuus.

He goes on for a while longer sharing the most current information he has on the safe roads and contacts who are still loyal and active in the areas you will be traveling in.

If there is nothing else you want to talk to him about, you can leave after finishing the tea. The trip back to Jayanti's is uneventful and you are greeted by your friends waiting to hear what you have learned.

Just to be sure: Ista has two horses (and a lackey, who will travel with the animals I assume), Pedram has a horse, and Jayanti has a Camel. Seth and Matias don't have mounts or pack animals correct?

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-17, 03:08 PM
At first, Ista is confused by Pedram's comments, but once it's clear what the subject is, he responds "You hold to a stricter code than I do, but I'm glad you will agree to conceal our exit from the city."

If Seth or Matias reveal that they lack horses, Ista will strongly recommend that they buy some. It will greatly speed the journey. Ista has some money and is willing to lend money, if necessary. He also will strongly recommend that the party keeps a stock of emergency supplies.

Bandededed
2008-03-18, 09:25 PM
Matias

Matias looks concernedly about the room a few minutes after Ista's return. "What is taking the others?" he asks. His tone implies that they are taking far too long. "We need to know how we are traveling,"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-18, 09:45 PM
Seth

''I think we need a few extra horses Kavuus... I know I don't have one, and I doubt a courtier such as Ista does either..."

After Kaavus shows them out, Seth travels to meet up with Ista and Matias.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-19, 02:15 AM
@Seth: you are visiting Kavuus with Jayanti (Ista is at Jayanti's place)

Kavuus nods and replies "I will send as many horses as I can find. I'm not certain how many I can scramble by tomorrow morning but I'll do my best." With that he guides Jayanti and Seth out.

@everyone: I'm assuming everyone leaves tonight. Without your horses or supplies, If you have an objection voice it before my next post which will come tomorrow.

I will also assume that you will leave anything with an armor check penalty behind to be carried with your supplies so you can be as sneaky as possible per instructions given by Kavuus. (this will include the armor and shields that have Armor Check Penalty of higher than zero) Again any objection should be noted before my next post.

Tomorrow evening, I will post what happens as you try to sneak out of the city over night. (good luck everyone, there will certainly be lots of hide/move silently rolls.)

Also if you plan on taking specific steps (other than taking the armor off, and hide/move silently out of the city) please let me know before I post.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-19, 09:17 AM
Before leaving, Pedram takes a moment to visit his horse at the stables. "I know, I know.. look at me," he whispers quietly to Trace as he lashes saddle bags containing his armor to the stallion's back, "but I've been over this with myself and it is the right thing to do. You understand what needs to be done. I am counting on you to look after those other horses." He looks the horse in his enormous eye, sharing with him his mixed feelings of urgency and confidence. Between old friends nothing more needs to be said.

Pedram is ready to go. He'll take only his sword and some basic supplies with him, leaving behind his armor, shield and other weapons and gear with his mount.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-19, 03:46 PM
I'm assuming that my groom, Remo, is also coming with us. Ista brings a bulging backpack, a spiked gauntlet, clothes, and some belt pouches. Remo has a back pack, sword, cross bow, quiver, pouch, lantern, and heavy wooden shield strapped to his back.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your clothes don't count towards encumbrance, and a shield doesn't provide armour check, if it's strapped to your back, instead of being used.

Ista has his armour in his back pack, right spiked gauntlet, 5 vials of ink, a pen, 20 pages of paper, scroll case, 10 candles, a holy symbol, spell pouch, a belt pouch, 40pp, 5gp, and 5sp. Remo has four days of rations, flint and steel, a silk rope, light cross bow, 20 quarrels, a long sword, back pack, a lantern, 2 pints of oil, a belt pouch, 10pp, 30gp, 5sp, and 5cp. I'm assuming that Remo has str 11. Ista is carrying 58lbs of gear, and Remo 37.5lbs. Both are lightly encumbered, thus, taking no penalties.

"I'm not very nimble, and I have no training in sneaking around, but I'll make do as best we can. I think the same is true for Remo."

I'm having trouble connecting to GiantITP today. I'm realising that a magic shield would have been a much better choice for starting gear than magic armour.

Sxoa
2008-03-19, 11:04 PM
Jayanti takes steps to disguise all of her companions and herself, making them seem less assuming and like different people if they are caught (though a thorough search will leave questions like why is a humble servant carrying a perfectly forged sword for example).
Take 10 on my check = 28 (though I'm not sure if they use their own charisma modifiers or what have you?). Do we have enough time that I can take 20? I'm guessing no, but just checking...
What can I say, she's good at what she does, but not much else. Couldn't hide in the dark so I have a feeling we may be getting caught, sorry :smalleek:

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-20, 02:45 AM
Happy Persian New Year to all of you.

The group gets to work and a couple of hours after the night fall it is ready to start moving. Everything packed, and labeled for Kavuus's men. Jayanti uses her skills to make everyone look like villagers who are in town on business.

Sneaking quietly in the shadows, the party no trouble getting outside the town, thanks to Matias and Seth's constant vigilance in choosing the best route, and guiding others at almost every step of the way to stay out of sight.

Following Kavuus's advice, the party travels along the road as fast as it can, pushing it's members to exhaustion. At times it appears that some may not be able to continue onwards, but quick chants of prayer from Ista reinvigorates the weaker members of the party. By the time the party arrives at its destination everyone is battered, tired, and ready for sleep.

As luck had it the hide/move silently rolls I made for you came up exceptionally well and avoided 2 major stopping points, one of which only missed finding you because of Seth and Matias's help in hiding the party.

You've arrived at the 20 mile mark out of town (This is where Kavuus said you should get off road and find a hiding place, but keep an eye on the road for his men.)

To reach here, you've hustled for about 4 hours. Everyone has taken 15 points of non-lethal damage and everyone is fatigued. Ista has used 3 cure light wounds on Remo to keep him standing and able to walk. He is not fatigued.

@IamNotJeff: let me know if you used more spells on other party members. Seth is not far from falling unconscious at this point. Jayanti is right after him in how bad a shape she is in. Everyone else is battered but still far from collapsing.

@everyone: You should probably find a place to hide and sleep (survival checks from those how are trained please.) and decide on a watch order (to look after the sleeping party members, and to watch the road for your supplies and mounts.) Sleeping without tents and sleeping bags is not going to be easy tonight (you will still be fatigued tomorrow)... but as soldiers and adventurers you are used to it.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-20, 12:06 PM
Though weary, Pedram does what he can to help set up camp for the night and certainly volunteers to take first watch. It feels odd to be out in the field without Trace, but he knows he won't be alone for long.

Pedram is obviously out of the 1-mile range of his empathic link with his special mount, but if/when the horses get within range, I take it he'll know?

Also, concerning watches, there are 5 of us. I figure if we each take 2 hours, we'll all get 8 hours of rest over a 10 hour period. Unless anyone has objections, Pedram has loads of HP left and is happy to go first. Most of our negative HP should disappear after the first two hours.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-20, 02:20 PM
"Let me pray for Seth and Jiyanti, since they seem most affected by fatigue. Since my prayers should allow them to recover, and the rest of us will need two or three hours to recover. I'd recommend that one of them take the first watch. I agree that each of the five us should take a two hour watch. If we know when to expect Kavuus, one of the sneakier characters should keep watch nearer the road then. I'm willing to take any watch.

Cure moderate wounds:
Jiyanti: [roll0]
Seth: [roll1]

Thanks for tracking the overland movement for us. It can be a nuisance to determine the details of these things. That said, according to the SRD, the first hour of hustle inflicts no damage, the second 1HP, the third 2, and the fourth 4, so I think we should have taken only 7HP each, in which case, I'd put CLW on Remo, Jiyanti, and Seth.

Bandededed
2008-03-20, 02:36 PM
Matias

Smiling at the others - and obviously pleased - Matias says, "Those watches sound perfect. I'll check around for a good camping place here, and be back for second watch,"

With that, he begins searching the area for a good place to make camp.

I don't know what DC I'm aiming for here, but [roll0].
Also, If I can look for some soft ground or moss etc. to make a makeshift pallet out of, I will. I am sadly lacking in camping supplies (:smallmad:) and I think this pallet would help (maybe?). Survival for that then? [roll1] I'll look for enough for anyone who needs it

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-20, 03:09 PM
Seth

Feeling much recovered, Seth smiles. "Thank you. As to watches, and setting a watch by the road... I am willing to do the first watch, and I feel quite recovered from our exertion... perhaps the two of you should take the last watches, so you can recover as much as possible... uninterrupted sleep is always the best for that." Seth reverses his travel cloak, covering himself with the dark flat black cloak.

Sxoa
2008-03-21, 12:14 AM
Whining in such a fashion that it makes your heart weep to hear it, Jayanti continues to curse the rough life bitterly until she is cured by the good priest. After that she is all smiles and graciousness and upon seeing Matias pull together the miraculously comfortable pallets from the wilderness she rains a dozen thanks and blessings on his head.

"Matias you are a greater magician than I! I shall sleep soundly on this bed snatched from the fairy kings! Watch? What? Oh yes, that sounds fine. Wake me when it's my shift."

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-21, 12:19 PM
My apologies for not posting last night. Real World got in the way!

Matias's expert eyes is helped by Ista's extensive knowledge of the land you are traveling in, and he finds the perfect spot to set up camp in: A clearing surrounded by date palms tucked behind a small hill and invisible from the road. He gets to work, cutting some of the palm branches and creating an even softer cover for everyone to sleep on.

After setting the camp Remo collects a few branches to start a fire, but is immediately stopped by Seth, who realizes even the smallest fire would easily give away your hide out.

A Short discussion on the watch order follows, with Seth taking the first watch and agreeing to wake Pedram up for the second. It's a warm night, with enough moonlight to keep thing well illuminated and with everyone as tired as they are falling asleep is easy. Soon everyone is in a deep sleep, except Seth who has found a place on the hill so he can have an eye on the road and the campsite at the same time.

I'm assuming the watch order: Seth, Pedram, Matias, Ista, Jayanti.

The first two watches are during the night, Pedram's watch ends shortly before the dawn, and Ista and Jayanti's watch are during daylight.

Let me know if the watch order works for other nights (so we don't have to have a discussion about watch order every time. This way the arcane casters get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and everyone else gets 8 hours of rest.

As Pedram is woken up by Seth, the two notice Ista having an uneasy sleep. He is rolling around, talking in his sleep and look like he is having a terrible nightmare.

@Sxoa and Unholier:
Actions please: will you wake him up or not?

The night is otherwise uneventful and so is the beginning of the day. Close to the end of Ista's turn a group of travelers appear on the road. from what he can see at a distance, there are two men with a number of horses, a camel, and a couple of asses traveling at a rather quick pace. He thinks some of those are your animals, but needs them to come closer to be sure.

@IamNotJeff:
Actions please: what will Ista do?

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-21, 02:04 PM
Ista is happy with the watch schedule. Let me know if there's anything that needs to be done about Ista's dream, or if he remembers any of it.

Ista is carrying Remo's crossbow at the moment, in addition to his spiked gauntlet and backpack.

When he sees the people on the road, Ista quietly wakes Pedram and Seth, and whispers

"Sshhh, Pedram, Seth, wake up. There's men on the road with horses. I think they maybe the men we're meant to meet. Pedram do you see Trace? Seth, if these are your contacts, you should go see them. If not, you might want to get a little closer to see who they are.

He then keeps low to keep hidden from the men on the road.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-21, 05:46 PM
Seth

As Pedram goes to touch him, Seths eyes open, and he tenses briefly, then relaxes. Moving quietly, he fastens his sword and adjusts his armor. "I'll go check it out." Seth slides off into the darkness, his black cloak quickly blending with shadows of night.

move silently [roll0] hide [roll1]
spot +9 listen +11

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-21, 08:22 PM
Concerning the nightmares, Pedram will only wake Ista up if he's making too much noise, or if they seem to go on for more than ten minutes or so. He tries to ignore what Ista is saying in his sleep.

Pedram takes a moment to shake the cobwebs out of his head. Once he's grasped the situation, stands, takes up his sword, and fastens it to his belt once more.

Does Pedram sense his mount through the empathic link? Either way, he shares the answer with Ista and Seth.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-22, 03:37 AM
Pedram doesn't need much time to verify that his mount is in fact traveling with the group Ista mentioned. To be sure, Seth sneaks up on the group and recognizes one of the two men as a trusted subordinate of the spymaster. He comes out of hiding and guides the mounts and the men to the hiding place you have. The area becomes very crowded very quickly and rather noisy, and the rest of the party wakes up, at this time.

With all the noise, and the sun being high up in the sky falling back asleep is not quite possible. So I'm going to assume everyone (Except Jayanti and Remo) had only 6 hours of sleep last night.

Remo quickly gets to work to prepare a breakfast for everyone. Getting his hands on his supplies again, he can prepare a modest but tasty meal, as everyone else is busy talking to the men.

It turns out Kavuus has sent your mounts and grears along with two extra light horses and four mules to carry your supplies. The have saddle bags filled with waterskins which are empty at the moment but you can tell they will come in handy if you are to travel across deserts.

There is no mention that you should pay for these, but I believe it is polite if you do.

The men are done with the delivery and ready to leave as Remo comes forward offering them a breakfast and suggesting they rest before they go back. The older man (the one seth recognized as one of Kavuus's men) explains that they have to return to Susa very quickly and have no time to waste.

Seth almost immediately recognizes the story as an excuse made up on the fly. The man he is pretty certain is not operating with complete free will and is charmed.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-22, 06:58 AM
Ista helps prepare the food and thanks the men who brought the supplies.

"Thank you for bringing these horses and supplies. You're welcome to stay and have some food of you wish. We will, of course, pay for what you have brought us.

Everyone, I think we should pay 360gp, 320 for the two horses and saddles, and about 40 for the mules, saddle bags, waterskins, etc. "

Ista will wait a little. If those without horses don't offer to pay for their horses, he will suggest splitting the costs equally. If people aren't willing, he'll cover the costs himself, grumpily.

After the men leave, Ista says

"I don't like mules. They're too slow. We might as well be walking. At the first opportunity, we should replace them with light warhorses."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-22, 06:59 AM
Seth

"Thank you for your efforts, men. I wish to send you back with compensation for the extra supplies and horses, but am not sure what amount would be appropriate. Please, assist me; how gold did this end up costing?" Upon receiving an answer (an exact amount), Seth will make an informal collection from the rest of the party. {I have 50 gold to contribute}

Sxoa
2008-03-22, 09:01 AM
Jayanti was asleep during the nightmare sequence I think so she does nothing, if not she follows Pedram's lead. I'm fine with the watch order.
Jayanti (in the guise of Arashazar as outsiders are present) contributes whatever is asked of her to the pot (she's got "455.9 Gold in gems, platinum, gold, silver and copper in various nations currencies").

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-22, 09:43 AM
Seth

While he collects cash from people, he quietly whispers, "Something seems wrong... It is unlikely that Kaavus would use magic on his own men.... make sure you have your weapons at hand... Jayanti... See what information you can coax out of them..."

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-22, 11:15 AM
Pedram merely nods as Seth comes by to collect his share of the fee. He puts a little extra in to cover those who might not have as much liquid asset in hand.

It feels good to have his old friend at his side again. With a cluck of his tongue he calls the buckskin stallion to him. Warrior and steed take a moment to reconnect and silently share Seth's concerns about the men. Pedram begins to lighten Trace's load a little, starting with his shield, all the while keeping the newcomers within sight out of the corner of his eye.

360 is a pretty generous suggestion (they're light horses, not light warhorses, ne?) but Pedram isn't picky since the money is presumably going right back to the spymaster, which might as well be to the King himself.

360 split 5 ways is 72gp each. Pedram will contribute Seth's share, as we should all keep a little coin on hand, and we probably wouldn't even have the opportunity to be buying extra mounts if it wasn't for Seth's connections. ^_^ So 144gp in the pot from Pedram.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-22, 05:04 PM
Ista puts his hand on his forehead and shakes his head as he realises the horses aren't warhorses. He waits for the men to answer Seth's question about how much we owe.

Sxoa
2008-03-22, 05:21 PM
"Thank you kindly for your help in this matter gentlemen. Why rush off though? What business draws you back so fast to Susa? Surely you can stay a spell and break your fast with us. At the very least it will give your mounts a moment to rest, and you will make better time on the way back with freshened beasts.

Jayanti is extremely insistent, and with someone less tactful it might even construed as insulting but Jayanti attempts to maneuver the conversation to a point where they can't possibly refuse.
If she sees an opportunity to cast it undetected Jayanti will try to cast detect magic

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-23, 01:57 AM
The men do not know the price Kavuus has paid for the extra animals, saddles, feed and water-skins the order was to deliver them not to collect money.

I think Ista's original number of 360 is not too far off the mark, so you can pay them 360. I'm assuming the money is collected and payed before the rest of this conversation. You should decide how much each of you have paid and subtract that from your character sheet.

150 for horses + 60 for riding saddles + 32 for mules + another 60 for packsaddles is a total of 302gp. Then there are waterskins, saddlebags and feed which adds to the amount, you will probably over pay by a little but that shouldn't matter.

On the money issue, Gold and Silver coins are issued by the Roman, Byzantine, Chinese and Persian Empires and for the sake of simplicity I will assume they can be exchanged at a one for one rate. (if you don't have the proper currency though, you need to find a merchant to change it for you. The arabs accept all not having coins of their own.

I don't know if copper pieces existed, and I don't know how accurate 1gp=10sp is. But to avoid conversion complexities I will assume the existence of copper pieces and normal exchange rates. There are no Platinum Pieces, and carrying gems is the only sure way of having you money in a condensed (but not necessarily liquid) form.

The older man starts caving in as Jayanti insists on having them stay, but his younger companion takes matters in his own hands and continues insisting that they should leave immediately without giving any good reasons. But it seems to have an effect on his companion and he agrees again to leave immediately.

As they turn their backs to Jayanti to leave, she casts her spell. But the younger man catches her casting a spell and turns around saying "I really think it is not proper behavior for you to keep us here against our will. Why don't you stop your comrades from pestering us." as he finishes he points at Pedram.

@Pedram: Make a will save

@everyone: Roll for initiative. and post your first action (remember that unless you make a spellcraft check you have no idea something unusual has happened. He was more direct and rude than normal but still just having a conversation.

Please remember to post the most likely outcome and the conditionals in spoiler.

At the beginning of each post please include a spoiler tag with the following information: Your current HP, Your Current AC (and touch AC), Any temporary effects active on you (with the remaining duration in rounds.)

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-23, 06:14 AM
HP 42, AC 11 (touch 11), 1 spiked gauntlet worn.

I would like for Ista to notice the spell. Spellcraft: [roll0].

If Ista sees the spell go, or someone says that the older man or Pedram have been put under the influence of a spell, Ista casts Dispel Magic. It will be targeted on an area containing the two men, Pedram if I know he's been targeted, and as many of the rest of the party as I can cover.

If not, Ista executes total defense.

In fact, if combat ever breaks out, and I'm not around to post, on the first round, Ista executes total defense. In addition, he moves to the nearest choke point through which we could withdraw, if one exists. On the following round, he reserves to cast CMW on any of our party that are brought done or call out that they need healing. The reserve continues until triggered or I post. I guess, if someone were brought down before Ista's first action, he'd go heal them on the first round, but let's hope no one ever goes down that fast.

Sxoa
2008-03-23, 09:22 AM
Spellcraft check to identify spell=[roll0]
Initiative=[roll1]
HP: 34
AC (normal/touch I will follow this format hence forth): 13/10

"Inappropriate?! It is you who has given no reason for leaving and yet you insult us by insisting to! That is what is inappropriate!
Jayanti's actions are dependent on whether she detects magical auras, if she figures out what is being cast (if anything), and if any form of actual combat breaks out.

If things resort to violence she'll blast them with her burning hands effect if she can maneuver to keep her friends out of it. Beyond that though there are to too many variables to accurately list what she does.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-23, 10:17 AM
Initiative: [roll0]
HP: 56/56
AC: 13 [+1 dex, +2 shield]

Trace HP: 45/45
Trace AC: 22 (+8 natural, +4 barding, -1 size, +1 dex)

Will save (w/ +2 bonus from True Believer feat): [roll1] (Reminder: Pedram has "mettle" as a class feature - essentially "will partial" spells become "will negates")

Pedram's action depends heavily on whether or not he determines there is a threat - and if he passes his will save, I'll bet! If he knows something is up, he'll spend a turn undead attempt through his Divine Vigor feat to pick up 12 temporary HP and +10' movement (up to 40') for 3 minutes, as a standard action. With his move action he'll get into melee range, drawing his sword as part of his movement.

Either way, Pedram will keep Trace out of the conflict for the moment.

Bandededed
2008-03-23, 11:05 AM
Matias

{table]Matias |Human |Ranger |6 |Cha Good |Med
42/42 |+3 |40 |AC/T/FF |19/13/16 |Mith B-plate
Melee Atk |Arascid Blade + 10/+5|1d6 + 2/1 (18-20/x2) |Ranged |Longbow + 10/+5 |1d8+2
Saves |Fort +7 |Ref +8 |Will +2
Srt 14 |Dex 17 |Con 14 |Int 10 |Wis 10 |Cha 14[/table]

This will be how My statblocks will be, ok?

Still waking up when it happens, stunned by the actions of their supposed helpers, Matias senses something fishy, his warriors sense firing. He secretly prepares for fight or flight.

[roll0] I'll have to wait for the others, since I can't use spellcraft...

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-23, 06:14 PM
Sorry, I forgot init [roll0]

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-23, 07:08 PM
hp 23
ac 17/touch13/flat 14
Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2

I gather spellcraft has been changed a bit, what is the DC to know that some sort of magic is being used? I know there is a DC 15+spell level to identify a specific spell..

Init [roll0]

Seth

(as soon as he understands what has occurred)

He points at the spellcaster and yells with disgust "Sorcery!"
Seth will move forward until he is 10 feet from the spellcaster, then he will throw his poisoned throwing dagger ([roll1] to hit, [roll2] Dagger damage, poison dc 15, 1d4+1 Con Initial, 1d4+1 Con secondary. If this occurs before the caster in the suprise round (if I know a spell is being cast, I react immediately in this fashion), then sneak attack [roll3].

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-24, 03:56 AM
As Jayanti's casting of detect magic and younger man's reaction to it initiated the combat I'll consider those the surprise round.

Round 1:

Younger Man (Init 12)

He looks at Jayanti's small and non-athletic figure and decides she won't pose much of threat immediately. In a split second he chooses his next target and pointing at Seth he says "I have my orders from the spy-master, you should help me with my mission." stressing his connection with Kavuus.

@Seth: I will roll the will save for you since this will move the round forward and it will affect you action this round.

Jayanti (Init 11)

Studying the magical auras present, Jayanti notices the existence of magic in the area. Her familiarity with magic also allows her to identify the first spell cast by the younger man.

Detect magic round 1 info: Magic exists in the area
Detect magic round 2 info: There are three present auras (in addition to whatever magical gear you have around.)

No violence yet.

Spellcraft results:
First spell cast: Suggestion
Spellcraft for the second spell: [roll0] : You don't recognize the second spell.

Peram (Init 8)

Pedram is compelled to help the men escape, and moves to block his companions access to them while saying something about how he thinks you should let them go.

You are under the effects of the suggestion spell. You are compelled to convince your companions to allow the men to go and will go to great lengths doing so (almost anything short of attacking them with deadly force)

Older Man (Init 7)

He also moves between the younger man and the party to cut off any attacks on him.

Seth (Init 7)

With the younger man's mention of his connection to Kavuus, Seth's resolve melts away. He sees the man as a trusted friend and certainly not to be harmed.

Will save:[roll1]

You are charmed by the man. Your attitude towards him is friendly, you will get out of your way to help him. (which probably includes doing your best to stop the party from attacking him.)

As someone untrained in spellcraft you are unable to when magic is in use. You'll have to wait until someone mentions something. which they haven't in the first round.

Matias (Init 6)

Not any wiser to what is going on, Matias prepares to take action next.

Boosting your init for this round so you get to act before everyone else next round (or delay until they give you more information. so far the only two people knowing something is going on haven't mentioned anything.)

Ista (Init 2)

Ista preys to Ahura-Mazda to lift magic at work.

Spellcraft results:
First spell cast: Suggestion
Spellcraft for the second spell: [roll2] : He casts Charm Monster as his second spell.

Area dispel: (I assume you'd want to catch Seth in the area as well)
Dispel Check for the Older Man: [roll3] : No result
Dispel Check for Pedram:[roll4] : Pedram is free from the enchantment and can act on his own accord.
Dispel Check for Seth:[roll5] No result.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-24, 09:46 AM
Frowning, Pedram puts himself in front of the young man and turns to face his companions. "Everyone, please.. surely these gentlemen have other duties to attend to, as do we. Lets give them the money and..." he trails off as Ista's prayer suddenly clears his mind of intrusion.

Intrusion. Bastard!

Pedram's akinakes is out in a flash, sunlight gleaming off its broad, mirror-polished blade. The cataphract rounds on the young man, holding his shield at the ready.

Pedram
AC: 13 [+2 shield, +1 dex]

Move action: Drawing sword, possibly moving forward to remain in reach of the young man if necessary. If this provokes attacks of opportunity, so be it.
Standard action: Smiting the little jerk! But since we may want him alive, Pedram will twist to strike with the flat of his blade at the last second (non-lethal damage)
To hit: [roll0] (includes -4 penalty for non-lethal damage, +3 for smite)
Damage (if applicable): [roll1] (non-lethal; add +5 damage unless the young man follows Ahura Mazda.)

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-24, 10:54 AM
Ista calls out

"I'm out of prayers to counter this magicians charms. If you feel him assaulting your mind, call out, so we know he's continuing his magic. Seth, Pedram and the others will not injure this man seriously, so we should not get involved in this fighting. If anyone is in grave danger and needs healing, call out. "

He then moves to try to block Seth from reaching other party members, while keeping an eye on the younger man to see if he casts any more spells.

If any uncharmed person calls for healing, Ista goes to heal them. Otherwise, he executes total defense.

If the young man successfully casts another charm monster or a fifth level spell, Ista calls out (on his turn) "This magician is too strong for us. We have our mounts and gear, and should let him leave us.".

If it's just another suggestion, Ista thinks we should be fine.

Sxoa
2008-03-24, 08:44 PM
"He's using sorcery on us! You DARE cast spells on my companions you little whelp?! I'll take your SOUL and feed eat to the gods of the East!"

Jayanti screams out a litany of words, berating and battering the young man with a verbal barrage.
Using the cause confusion ability of Silver Tongued: "Make a diplomacy check opposed by your opponents sense motive check. If you beat your target's check by 10 or more you can cause him to become confused [as the spell] for 1 round. This takes a full round action"

Diplomacy check: [roll0]

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-24, 11:05 PM
@Bandededed: Matias's action is rather important, so I'll wait a bit more (maybe a day) before I post.

@Jael_Darkwood :Seth's action is not as crucial at the moment, but I don't want to DMPC him (I don't think he would attack his comrades to keep the charmer from being hurt, but that's your call.) So it would be good if you post for him.

Bandededed
2008-03-24, 11:47 PM
Matias

Statblock
42/42[color] |+3 |40 |AC/T/FF |[COLOR="Red"]17/11/14 |Mith B-plate
Melee Atk |Arascid Blade + 12/+7|1d6 + 2/1 (18-20/x2) |Ranged |Longbow + 12/+7 |1d8+2

At Jayanti's words, Matias realizes what is happening around him. Seeing the older man in the way, Matias tries for a flying tackle, still uncertain if these people are enemies or under the same spell as Pedram.

Sorry for the late post.

Delay until after Jayanti, because she tells me what's going on :smallredface:

Matias charges the Older man (if there's room). He then attempts to initiate a grapple with him, hoping to wrestle him to the ground and hold him there.

[1d20+11
[roll0]

I added the bonus on attacks and the penalty on AC for charge in the statblock, which is why they are red. This will always be the case, red if something changes.

Bandededed
2008-03-24, 11:53 PM
One of my rolls didn't work :smallsigh:

[roll0]

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-25, 08:30 AM
Seth

"Please, you are obviously mistaken! Let him go back to town, he has nothing to do with us...." Seth, gesturing like an italian with his hands as he talks, moves beside the man, deliberately blocking one of the paths to him. Drawing his rapier, he makes halfhearted threatening gestures. "Let these men be on their way..."

sorry for the late reply. Seth will not threaten an area, but will defend himself if attacked.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-25, 11:34 AM
With only 1 active enemy there shouldn't be much confusion about placements and with your movement rates you can get almost anywhere you want to be. But if you want to see a map let me know and I'll produce one.

Round 2:

Younger Man (Init 12)

He is a bit shaken after Ista's prayers and not sure whose spells have been broken, but regains his composure, steps away from Pedram to be on the safe side. This time pointing at Ista he says "I am way above your head, Do NOT meddle with what I am doing."

He took a 5 foot step and cast a spell. One of you is bound to recognize this as another suggestion.

Jayanti (Init 11)

Jayanti starts flailing her arms and cursing the young man.

This will take effect on your next turn (as a spell with full round casting time would), right? Correct me if it works differently.

Matias (Init 10)

Realizing that the messengers are not as friendly as he had initially assumed the ranger jumps into action, and rushes the older man. However the man is holding a dagger and hits him hard with the hilt of the dagger as he tries to grab him.

He hits you on his attack of opportunity as you attempt to initiate the grapple, so you can't grapple him. He uses the hilt of the dagger and deals 3 pts of non-lethal damage.

Peram (Init 8)

Pedrams blow lands squarely on the man's very nice chain shirt but the force of his strength and conviction carries through to batter and bruise the man.

It's a hit and to your practiced eyes it looks like a good one. (read as: your smite damage also went through)

Older Man (Init 7)

Looking surprised that he is suddenly in the middle of a fight, he says desperately "We don't want to fight, we don't want to injure you. We just want to leave."

Seth (Init 7)

The nimble assassin moves into place, torn between his loyalty to Kavuss and his loyalty to his friends he is distracted and won't affect the fight for the moment.

Ista (Init 2)

Ista is suddenly afraid of how strong the opposing magician is.

Will Save: [roll0]; Failed save, you can't interfere with his actions anymore. This means you can't counter his spells or attack him. But you can defend yourself and you can heal your friends.

Oddly enough this doesn't change your action so Ista does as you've described in your post. Moving to block Seth's path to the rest of the party and so on.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-25, 01:30 PM
HP 42, AC 16/16 (10+1Dex+4Total D+1Cautious), drops to 11/11 when he does something else.

Ista waits.

Ista reserves to heal any uncharmed person who calls for healing or collapses.

Sxoa
2008-03-25, 07:44 PM
HP: 34
AC (normal/touch I will follow this format hence forth): 13/10
I think it comes into effect at the end of Jayanti's turn this round (since she started at the beginning of this round it's finished at the end, sort of like a full attack action), and since it's a full round action she can't take move actions or anything like that. It would take effect next turn if she moved and started the full round action, she would then finish it next turn.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-25, 11:18 PM
"Enough of this sorcery - surrender!" Pedram shouts, almost pleadingly as he raises his sword in the air in preparation to strike. He'd prefer not to kill the man, but he most certainly would if necessary.

Pedram
AC: 13 [+2 shield, +1 dex]

Standard action: Pedram will hold a smite as a standard action, on the condition that the young man casts another spell. (Smite at +13 to hit, 1d8+8 damage.)

Move action: Movement to stay in melee range if possible/necessary.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-27, 01:37 AM
Damn that confusion roll! and the lucky NPC rolling to decide what's the best course of action!!

P.S. Sorry for posting without everyones action in, but I believe it was agreed that your characters remain inactive if you do not post their actions. (If you are away you should say so OOC, and give me or someone else guidelines on how to control your character.

Round 3:

Younger Man (Init 12)

Confused by Jayanti's words and scared of the terrifying eastern gods he pulls out his rapier and stabs his companion. The older man looks down at his wounds with shock.

Jayanti (Init 11)

Having achieved his goal, Jayanti takes a deep breath and waits to see how the fight unfolds.

Matias (Init 10)

The blow by the dagger hilts in his head confuses Matias momentarily and he is slow to react. He does nothing this round.

Peram (Init 8)

The younger man does not cast another spell, the threatening Paladin keeps his swards firmly above his head.

Older Man (Init 7)

Once the initial shock of the strike from the younger man is gone, a look of comprehension comes to his face. He turns around quickly and throws his dagger at Seth.

Seth takes 4 points of damage.

Seth (Init 7)

Being attacked by an ally of the younger man, Seth realizes the man is not a friend and snaps out of the trance he was in.

Charm is broken you can act normally.

Ista (Init 2)

Ista waits praying for his comrades and ready to come to help anyone injured seriously.

Bandededed
2008-03-27, 10:31 AM
Matias
HP [color="DarkGreen"]42/42[color]: 3 nonlethal|+3 |40 |AC/T/FF |19/13/16 |Mith B-plate
Melee Atk |Arascid Blade +10/+5|1d6 + 2/1 (18-20/x2) |Ranged |Longbow +10/+5 |1d8+2

Shaking his head, Matias comes to his senses in anger. Seeing the old man already bleeding, however, Matias chooses to show some mercy. After a flash of steel where Matias draws his daggers, he punches out at the old man.

Blech. Sorry for not posting, I had some problems yesterday, and yeah...
anyway!
Matias draws his blades and attacks.
[roll0] - includes -4 nonlethal penalty.
[roll1] - Nonlethal

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-27, 01:01 PM
Pedram's action only started at Initiative 8, so it will still be held until the end of the younger man's turn in the next round.

Sxoa
2008-03-27, 01:29 PM
Grinning gleefully, Jayanti stops her rambling diatribe and switches into more arcane ramblings. She maneuvers herself till she can catch both the enemy combatants without harming her friends, and her muttering raises in volume and reaches crescendo at which point with a flourish she unleashes a great gout of flame on the unsuspecting men.
Bluff check to make it seem like I'm actually casting a spell[roll0]/or Spellcraft if I have to use that [roll1]

Roll for damage on Burning Hands (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/burningHands.htm)[roll2]. It may not seem like much but any thing hit by the flame is on fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire)

Reflex Save DC on the "spell" is 15 for half.

EDIT: Forgot her info HP:34 AC:13/10

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-27, 01:46 PM
Ista waits.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-27, 02:02 PM
Pedram's action only started at Initiative 8, so it will still be held until the end of the younger man's turn in the next round.

Indeed, Pedram's swards is hanging above his head! but you still need to tell me what your action for the 3rd round is.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-27, 09:07 PM
Seth

Angrily, aware of how he had been duped, Seth dances slightly sideways (to a flanking position), then attempts to skewer the young man. [roll0] to hit, [roll1] weapon damage, [roll2] sneak attack

edit : crit possibility, i'll roll it in OOC.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-28, 12:50 AM
Round 4:

Pedram (Init 13)

Noticing the Young Man's sorcery, Pedram strikes him down with his sward.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Younger Man (Init 12)

Taking a quick look around the nimble bard realizes he doesn't have many chances left. He tries to cloud Pedram's mind again but the Paladin strikes him hards as he starts ordering him again.

Jayanti (Init 11)

Moving into position she lets a stream of fire flow from his hands trying to burn the two men. But they both avoid the flames nimbly.

Matias (Init 10)

Matias hits the older man squarely in the jaw, revenging the earlier hit from him.

Older Man (Init 7)

Instead of returning Matias's punch, he turns around punching the younger man hard. "He had clouded my mind too, I am not your enemy." he yells out as he attacks the younger man.

Seth (Init 7)

Seths rapier cuts deep into the young man, who falls on the ground unconscious.

Ista (Init 2)

Ista waits praying for his comrades and ready to come to help anyone injured seriously.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-28, 07:49 AM
Pedram wheels around to hold the older man at sword point, but doesn't make to strike. He glances at the rest of his team, unsure of exactly what just happened, and who might still be affected.

"Is everyone alright?"

Pedram will concentrate on detect infidel, positioning himself so that he can encompass both men. He'll continue to concentrate for all 3 rounds.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-28, 06:38 PM
Seth

(combat is over, right?)

Seth kneels by the young man and checks his pulse. "Ista, pray for him... we need him awake, please, but don't go to any great lengths... we don't need him happy." He looks briefly at himself, fingering the wound on his arm (5hp damage). "I'll need some minor help, but we can attend to that later." He looks at the older man, and indicates the younger man. "Tell me about him. When did he fog your mind?"

Sxoa
2008-03-29, 12:28 AM
Not that it appears to have mattered but for future reference burning hands is reflex 1/2 so they each should have taken 1 damage (mighty!) from my "spell."
Jayanti studies the man intently, searching for any quaver in his voice or tremble in his hands...
Sense Motive: [roll0]

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-29, 01:36 AM
@Sxoa: Thanks for the burning hands correction, it didn't make much of difference this time, but I'll keep that in mind. As for the sense motive, as you are trained I constantly roll it for you and will let you know when you discover something (You can't roll sense motive yourself.) In any case, Jayanti thinks the man is honest.

@everyone: Combat is over, unless someone wants to beat the old man up!

@Unholier: The younger man you already know is not a follower of Ahura, the older man is a believer.

A quick examination by Ista and Seth reveals that the younger man is in no serious danger, he will be out cold for a few hours if not helped but he will survive with some serious wounds and a bad headache.

The older man calmly answers Seth's questions, explaining how he was searched as he left the city with the mounts and how after the search he thought he had set out with a friend to come to you. He is particularly unhappy with himself, because as a subordinate of the spy master he had learnt about these mind-tricks but fell for them nonetheless.

He offers to bound the younger man and take him back to the spy-master for questioning. He is sure Kavuus would want to know who he is, for whom he works, and why he had targeted him.

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-29, 02:34 AM
Ista prays for the old man and Seth.

A cure light wounds for each.
Old man: [roll0].
Seth: [roll1].

"If any of us are still injured, please let me know, and I will pray for you.

The magician will survive without my prayers. I'd prefer that we not bring him round, in case he tries to cloud our minds again. I think we should bind him, gag him, and tie him to one of the mules, so that our new friend can take him back to Kavuus. I'd be happy to heal him if we decided that was he best course of action. "

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-29, 02:51 AM
Seth

Seth looks at the older man with slight suspicion as he speaks, trying to discern if the spell is still active. [roll0]sense motive

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-29, 08:47 AM
Sense motive for Pedram too, please: [roll0]
Pedram lowers his sword, but does not return it to its sheath yet. He stays on guard, letting Seth and the others do the questioning.

Sxoa
2008-03-29, 04:55 PM
Do'h! I forgot that we don't make the Sense Motive checks!

Bandededed
2008-03-29, 07:24 PM
Matias

Suddenly, Matias had a sneaking suspicion that the older man had woken up from the spell slightly before Matias had landed his blow. Matias scratches his head and looks at him softly as an apology, just in case.

Hearing the old man's offer to bind the younger, Matias steps up. "I have some skill with ropes as well. I can aid you"

If Matias has more skill than the old man, he will want to tie up the young guy. Otherwise, he will go for aid another with this check [roll0] (Aid another DC 10, right?)

He will, of course, accept the older man's help if he is less skilled than Matias

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-30, 03:32 AM
@everyone with sense motive: I've already made you checks, you all think the man is honest and don't think he is under anyone else's control at this point.

The Old man and Matias work together and Tie up the Younger man. The older man then gladly accepts the offer to sit and have a meal with you and rest a while before you each go on your way.

Please indicate if you have anything else to do with them. Otherwise my next post will move thing along, he will tie the younger man to his horse, and take him back to town while you travel towards Ctesiphon.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-30, 10:40 AM
Seth

His suspicions abated, Seth nods to the old man. "Make sure to take care re-entering town. If they were suspicious enough to set this guy on you on your way out, they likely will be waiting for his return." He pauses, and looks the old man in the eye. "It's important he not be able to give them any information if that happens."

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-30, 11:18 AM
"Seth, I'm sorry I misunderstood you earlier. Did you want me to rouse the younger man, so that we can question him?"

Ista will heal the younger man until he is conscious, if Seth, or anyone else, asks him to.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-03-30, 11:36 AM
Seth

Seth considers for a moment. "I think it may be useful to make sure nothing else waits for us later along our travels. So... yes.. Do you know any prayers that might encourage him to talk?"

Sxoa
2008-03-30, 02:04 PM
"As they say, dead men tell no tales."
I've got nothing in particular I need to do with them. I guess we'll loot the younger one.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-31, 09:57 AM
The older man confirms that he understands the importance of getting the prisoner back in the city without anyone noticing. However he is uneasy with the idea of killing him if he is caught going in.

You understand what's going on here, killing an agent of the king (anushiravan agents are considered king's agents) is bad enough, killing one while others are looking is suicidal.

After a light meal, Ista successfully rouses the bard for questioning. His deep brown eyes stares at you with a hatred, that can't simply be the result of an order from a superior.

Ista uses up one CLW for bringing him about.

Who is questioning him, what is being asked and how are you convincing him to answer (he will definitely not answer just because you asked.)

IAmNotJeff
2008-03-31, 02:04 PM
Ista suggests that Pedram guard the prisoner for a few minutes while the rest of us discuss what to do with him, on the other side of the camp, so that we won't be heard. He volunteers to guard the young man for a few minutes afterwards, so that Pedram can discuss our plans with the others. Ista thinks that he and Pedram are least likely to have a good plan to immediately question the prisoner.

When he's too far to be heard by the younger man, Ista says

"If we waited until tomorrow, I would have some prayers that might help. I can sense his thoughts, and I can prevent him from lying. I'm not sure it's worth taking the time though. On the other hand, I'm not sure our friend will be able to return, with the young man, unnoticed, so it might not be a bad idea if we bring him with us for a day anyway.

Even if we do not keep him, we could ask him some questions. He might not answer, but some of you are keen judges of people, so you might be able to get information just from his reactions. We should ask if any of our equipment has been stolen or sabotaged, if our food has been poisoned, if we will be ambushed, if he works the Arabs, if he knows our mission, if he works for whoever it was who wanted to meet with us. We should stick with yes or no questions. It will not be possible to get a response from open ended questions. "

[spoiler]From the next day on, Ista will take Zone of Truth, instead of restoration. So far today, Ista has cast 3 CLW and 1dispel magic.[\spoiler]

Sxoa
2008-03-31, 08:07 PM
"Ista has the right of it. I say we haul is sorry body with us for a day and question him with holy sorcery on the morrow. It may be awkward to explain if we are caught but I have faith in our abilities to avoid detection, talk our way out of a situation and if need be arm and steel are known for being particularly good at discouraging snoopers.

It is vitally important that we get as much truthful information out of this man as we can. I think it is worth the risk. Before we have access to spells we could threaten torture. Of course that has the rather distasteful requirement of actually torturing him if he refuses. Another option is the sun is high and hot and he will grow thirsty. A fearsome thirst is a terrible thing to behold. In my time in the deserts I have seen men fight us rabid dogs for the last few drops in a dusty wineskin. Perhaps we can turn that desire to something more productive..." Jayanti trails off and shrugs.

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-03-31, 08:29 PM
Pedram gladly agrees to perform guard duty. He positions himself so as to keep everyone in sight.

Holding another non-lethal attack on condition that the captive attempts to escape or cast a spell.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-31, 11:20 PM
The prisoner is quite and doesn't attempt anything under Pedram's watch.

I can't really say much until you make a decision on what to do with the prisoner, and whether or not to question him today. Until then, I'll post my normal one a day post but there won't be much content to them.

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-01, 01:15 PM
"We should not torture the man.

I think we should ask a few questions today and have our experts try to read his reactions. Then let's continue with our days ride and question him again tomorrow. I'm not sure we'll be able to get much from him then, since we will still be unable to compel him to speak, only to tell the truth if he does speak."

I suggest Jiyanti and Seth ask what questions they want to today, and then we move on.

Bandededed
2008-04-01, 03:17 PM
Matias

After Ista speaks, Matias says simply "I agree,"

I agree too :smallwink:

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-01, 06:14 PM
Seth

"Though I could likely get some sort of answers out of him... I feel my skills aren't exactly matched to this task." He smiles. "If I had known we would be doing interrogations, I may have packed differently. Jayanti, I think your skills may be more appropriate to the task.... ." Briefly he stops, and looks in the direction they are headed. " I want to get underway as soon as possible, but there may be suprises further down the road, and he may know something."

yeh, I kinda wanna get the plot rolling, so my only concern is upcoming ambushes.

Sxoa
2008-04-01, 07:50 PM
"Very well, is there anything else I should ask of him?"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-01, 08:33 PM
Seth

Seth smiles, and shrugs. "I'm sure you've gotten people to open up to you before... Just ask anything that occurs to you, on any topic you think relevant... but make sure not to give any information with your questions."

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-02, 02:15 AM
Once it become clear that the party is thinking about taking the prisoner along with them the older man offers his view. "He seems to be well trained as an infiltrator, and neither Master Seth here nor I have never met him before. It is likely then that the spy-master also is unaware of him and his training. The existence of such well trained spies and whatever organization they may have will be of great interest to the spy-master and the king. I believe, the best course of action is for me to take him back to Susa. Question him all you want today, but I am afraid I should return before tomorrow and deliver him along with my report." To put your mind at ease about being caught he suggests disguising the prisoner as an arab fighter being transfered into town for questioning. He can forge the documents while you question the young man, and with Some help from Jayanti the disguise is easy to prepare.

Last chance to pose questions, and methods for getting him to answer them. In my next post I will give you his answers (if any) have the older man take him away and you will ride towards Ctesiphon.

Sxoa
2008-04-02, 12:16 PM
Jayanti goes about asking him the questions posited by Ista, keeping an eye out on his reactions even if he is unwilling to speak. She treats with him offering him food and disarming him with gentle friendly touches, to induce a subconscious sense of comradery in the man.
"We should ask if any of our equipment has been stolen or sabotaged, if our food has been poisoned, if we will be ambushed, if he works the Arabs, if he knows our mission, if he works for whoever it was who wanted to meet with us."

Diplomacy roll (I don't know what the modifiers (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFppYwv7OUkegKhONNF.html) are but I will posit my theories. They won't be included in my roll.)
I think this guy is an enemy (+5 Enemy: Someone on an opposed team, with whom you have no personal relationship.) since we have no previous experience with him but he's pretty clearly opposed to us.
The reward I'm less sure about. We'll offer him food and more importantly as we're sitting him out in the hot sun, water, and promise him fair treatment if he cooperates. Jayanti tells him we will write a letter to our superiors (not mentioning who they are) requesting leniency and telling him how the man cooperated. Its possible that they will even hire him since we'll describe his obvious talent. If he refuses we will recommend to have him brutally and horrifically tortured without mercy for as long as he can be kept alive. Every effort will be made to track down his family if he has one and them brought in and tortured in front of him. No mercy will be shown to any of them even women and children.

So hopefully that can get at least an even (0 modifier) if not favorable (-5 DC). At worst I think it would be unfavorable because it certainly doesn't seem horrible. He's already been captured with little hope of escape (since we'll be binding and gagging him) so he doesn't really have much to gain.

Now the actual roll to get him to tell us: [roll0]
Remember that I'm also keeping an eye out (sense motive) when I'm asking him questions to see if I can discern anything.

Disguise check for making him up to be a captured Arabic soldier: I'll take 10 which gives 28 (though that's based of my charisma of +5).

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-03, 01:40 AM
How did Jayanti's diplomacy check get a +30 instead of a +20 (as it is on your character sheet)?

Regardless:

The young man proves to be a hard subject for interrogation. Jayanti works hard to get answers out of him, and eventually gets him talking about his mission. He was sent to gather information about you and your mission, not to sabotage it. So your equipment and supplies are fine and his bosses haven't set any traps on you way. But he is completely uncompromising on the issue of who he works for.

After a couple of hours of talking back and forth, threatening and even sometimes hitting the prisoner. Jayanti gives up, realizing that she can't get him to tell her anything about his superiors and their motives.

Meanwhile The older man is at work forging the paperwork needed to get him inside the town, once the interrogation is over he knocks the young man unconscious, and helps Jayanti disguise him as an arab warrior. Then they tie him to a mule and the old man rides away taking the prisoner with him.

I assume you paid the old man for the provisions after all. Please subtract the money from your sheets.

The young man was searched, if someone casts detect magic let me know. Equipment:

A very well made Rapier, buckler and an extremely fine chain-shirt (the workmanship equals the best chain-shirt you've ever come across, very light and decorated to a degree it looks more like ceremonial armor than normal armor.)

On his left middle finger he is wearing a fine gold ring set with a large blue stone.

In his belt pouch, and saddle bags about 400 gold pieces, in different denominations.

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-03, 03:34 AM
Ista casts detect magic to determine if any of the stuff is magic.

To avoid complications, let's just say that we pay the 360gp from the money taken from the young man, and keep 8gp each from what was taken. Ista then gives 4gp from his share to Remo as danger pay.

Sxoa
2008-04-03, 11:09 AM
+9 Ranks +6 Feats/Bluff synergy +5 Charisma =20 +5 from Gentle Touch (if I can touch the person I get to add my charisma modifier again) +5 from Minor Aura (Charisma Focus), add MY Charisma modifier to all charisma based skill checks of allies (including self) =30
The the last two are not always in effect so that's why they're not listed on my character sheet.
She can barely lift her gear but good god can she talk:smallcool:

I agree with I am not Jeff on the money thing.

Since I already had Detect Magic on at the beginning of the battle can I have detected the gear immediately after combat?

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-04, 01:46 AM
@Sxoa: Thanks for the explanation. +20 would've been enough to get what you did get, and even +30 isn't enough to get him to say anything about his superiors or organization he works with.

@IamNotJeff: Since Jayanti had already cast the detect magic and discovered there is no other magical auras in the area (except for you equipments and the spells he had cast) Ista should probably keep his spell. Upshot is, non of his equipment is magical, a lot of it is very well made but nothing magical.

The party parts with the old man and starts traveling towards Ctesiphon. The mounts are tired from their earlier travel and need rest after a few hours of uneventful traveling.

The night is quiet as well, and everyone gets to rest well as you start traveling on the road again. Remo prepares a quick lunch around noon, and while eating it everyone discusses how to proceed forward.

Ista studies the map and recalling his information about the position of the front lines can tell that the edge of the persian controlled territory is close. He is pretty sure that by the end of the next day, traveling at the same speed, the party will be deep within the Arab controlled territory.

The border is a fluid thing at this point, and no permanent crossing exists, you are more likely to run into persian and arab patrols as you get closer to the "border" and both will be suspicious of travelers.

Are you going to continue on the road? leave the road and try your luck in the wilderness?

Ah and of course XP: 1125 per person (the bard, getting out of town un-noticed, dealing with Anushiravan's messenger and the force march.)

Extra 100 RP awards: Jayanti

Sxoa
2008-04-04, 08:08 AM
After waking up in the morning and trying to work some of the kinks out her back , Jayanti grumbles before sitting down to breakfast with the others, "Always good to be reminded why I left the military in the first place. Ah well, such are the whims of fate."
Not being much of a tactician or terribly knowledgeable about avoiding patrols or the like Jayanti leaves the decision on how to travel to her more martially minded companions. She does voice her concern though that traveling on the road is more likely to draw attention from soldiers who may or may not be little more than bandits in uniforms.
"Putting a sword in a man's hand is liable to do queer things to him. He will often think he is king of everything within swinging distance and is liable to ignore such social niceties as the concept of rightful ownership and not brutally murdering someone in broad daylight."

Unholier_Than_Thou
2008-04-04, 08:37 PM
"You'll have no argument from me there," Pedram agrees, not in the least offended by the generalization. He thinks back to the enmity he felt from his brothers when he was bequeathed his grandfather's sword. Of the three of them, he had wanted it the least - hardly at all, in fact, for he preferred not to resort to to bloodshed, but then this had been the very reason why Pedram was chosen to receive it. He looks down to his hip, at the leather wrapped grip stained with the blood and sweat of his own battles and many far older, and can't help but think what a queer thing it is.

"The road may be faster, and though I'm sure you could talk us out of nearly any trouble, Jayanti, it is still a gamble - and the fewer of those the better. Ista, Matias.. I trust you two can keep us on course?"

Bandededed
2008-04-04, 10:10 PM
Matias

At Pedram's query, Matias smiles fondly, recalling past wonderings in the wilderness. "I can get us where we need to be, my friend. Have no fears about that,"

He frowns slightly after a moment though, "It may be slower that way, though I think we can spare the time. May I suggest staying near the road if possible? Not too near, and only if there is cover. That way we can escape to the road if we run into something dangerous."

Sxoa
2008-04-05, 12:19 AM
Jayanti smiles warmly at her more martially oriented companions, "My earlier musings on bandits not withstanding, I am very glad to be traveling in your company. I defer to your knowledge, Pedram and Matias, your wisdom in such things is as far above mine as the hawk is the field mouse. I am ready to follow at your leisure good sirs."

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-05, 06:18 AM
Ista spends a fair amount of time thinking and discussing with the others about which way to go is the best. Eventually he concludes:

"Keeping a safe distance from the road seems wise. I am confident we will be able to navigate safely while traveling away from the road, and I agree we should do whatever we can to avoid contact with others, whether they are bandits or enemy soldiers."

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-05, 03:01 PM
Sorry for the late post everyone. I had a hard time connecting to OotS last night. On the plus side, I've created a map to help everyone navigate:

Travel Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=32.3846,46.636963&spn=2.996475,6.020508&t=p&z=8&msid=111557133404366746680.00044a24e6bb83c6c3995)

With Ista and Matias fairly certain that they can get to Ctesiphon off the road, the party decides to leave the road and travel at a distance from it. Matias then presents the party with three options,

First option is to travel close to the road, but never so close to be seen from the road. This option has the disadvantage of taking the party through the thick marshes that creep close to the road from time to time.

Second is to avoid the worst of the marshes by traveling on the road a couple of times.

And last option is to abandon the road completely, travel directly north and cut across to Ctesiphon avoiding the marshy terrain.

Traveling on the road is of course the fastest way to go.
Second fastest option: close to the road, and on the road when the marshes get too close.
Third is Traveling directly north.
Slowest way is to fight your way through some of those marshes.

In terms of encountering other people:

You will be almost certain to encounter soldiers if you go on the road. and very likely if you try to pass on the road at one of bottlenecks (these are naturally the best places for guarding the road.

Going north, in Ista and Matias's opinion, is safest in terms of avoiding soldiers. However Ista is aware of reports of Bandits in the area, and where there are few soldiers Bandits are more active.

Going through the marshes, has it's own dangers of course, the are slow to travel through and people fall ill when spending time in the marshes, there are wild dangerous predators and poisonous snakes and worst there aren't many good places to set up camp for the night.

Choose which option you want to follow.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-05, 03:27 PM
Seth

"We have a well assembled group, but we may run into trouble with arab soldiers... Jayanti, can you disguise us as arabs? the king's badge will get us out of troubles with our side, so disguises make sense to assist with the enemy." He pauses, and looks at the party. "As much as I'd love to kill a couple arabs, I think our best move here is to not leave anything to attract notice... missing patrols tend to bring larger patrols.."

Bandededed
2008-04-05, 08:44 PM
Really nice map, Andy! I need to figure out how to do that :smallbiggrin:
Matias

"I believe our best option is to stay near the road and avoid the marshes," Matias begins. "Seth is right: with our dear Jayanti's disguises, we should be able to avoid detection from the arabs, and that badge should keep us out of trouble. If those were to fail, I do not doubt our ability to incapacitate our enemies,"

His expression expresses his confidence in his comrades.

Sxoa
2008-04-05, 10:22 PM
As Matias explains the options and their ramifications, Jayanti blanches at the mention of not being able to find good places to camp for the night. She's ruffing it more then she likes as is! Sleeping in a soggy bog is about as appealing as getting a tooth pulled at the barber in her mind. At the mention of disguises she begins rummaging through her kits.
"Certainly, I think... yes here it is. This will do nicely. Yes, I should be able to do us all up. And as Matias has said, I have the up most faith in your collective ability to keep me from getting murdered by brigands. You too of course, but more importantly, me." She grins.
If no one is opposed then I'll just start doing up disguises. I'm not rushed or distracted so I'll take 10 on them. I don't know how that works exactly with applying a disguise to another person since part of it is based off charisma. Presumably it uses theirs? But wouldn't it get like synergy with bluff or something then if it's implying acting in character? Maybe when applying it to someone else it should use intelligence?

Oh yeah, agreed, the map is totally awesome!

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-06, 07:14 AM
I'm glad the map was liked. Making it isn't hard you can check the "My Maps" Tab in the google maps and they have instructions there.

@Sxoa: I'm also not sure about the disguise question. I will look into it, for now just use your own charisma for everyone.

Once the decision is made, the group continues traveling for the rest of the day.

The next day Jayanti pulls out her props and disguises everyone as arab soldiers. The travel off the road is simple enough, but as you reach the first bottleneck and have to come to the road, you notice a group of 15 soldiers. From a distance they seem to be persian soldiers and unaware of your group for the moment.

The soldiers are on the road and still a good distance away from your current position.

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-06, 10:05 AM
Ista grudgingly consents to traveling near the road but using the roads at the choke points. He thinks it would have been safer to travel north, since bandits will probably pose little threat to the party, and we will probably encounter Arab patrols at the choke points in the marshes anyway.

Having encountered our own troops, Ista suggests
"Perhaps Jiyanti should go forward with a flag of truce, Matias as a guard, and the king's badge. She can then explain things. "

Sxoa
2008-04-06, 11:07 AM
"Sounds fine to me Ista. I'd like the rest of the party to stay close though in case there are any problems. Any objections to this plan from anyone?"
If there are no objections then Jayanti will ride forward with arms up flying whatever passes as a flag of truce during/in that era/region

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-07, 01:09 AM
Jayanti rides forward waving a make shift white flag, she is soon noticed by the soldiers who approach in a semi-circle formation having their bows at the ready. When they are about 300 feet away their leader shouts "Dismount your horse, put all your weapon on the ground and approach on foot. Same goes for the rest of you." He holds his hand high, as if dropping it would be signal for his men to start shooting.

It's clear the he has spotted the rest of the party.

@Ista: You can clearly see that Remo is a bit nervous.

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-07, 02:31 PM
Ista tells Remo

"Stay behind me, keep low, and keep your sword sheathed. I have faith in Jiyanti's abilities. We should be fine. If fighting starts keep behind the furthest back member of our party. I'll hold a position here probably, but if anyone withdraws behind me, keep behind them.

Ista is wearing his spiked gauntlets, but his mace remains on his belt. He looks out at the soldiers to count their number, see what type of bows they carry, and if they have horses. He intends to stay 400' from the soldiers for now. He's familiar with the rules of war and believes that the leader will respect the flag of truce. He has faith in Jiyanti's ability to talk her way out of things. Even if things do turn ugly, the party should easily be able to withdraw down the road, and Pedram should be able to keep Jiyanti safe. He remains calm.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-07, 02:56 PM
Quick response to Ista's questions in case it's important for others actions:

There are 15 soldiers, on foot, carrying sheathed swords and long bows, and wearing leather armor. Their leader is riding a horse, wearing heavy armor and carries a composite long bow, on the side of the horse you can see his lance, and on his hip hangs a sword.

You are familiar with the rules of engagement, however remember that you look like arabs, who recently sacked the persian capital and killed a great number of persian soldiers, so animosity an hatred towards you probably runs deep in the people you are facing. And therefore it's probably wise not to give them any reason to bend the rules and engage you in combat.

Bandededed
2008-04-07, 03:23 PM
Matias

Sorry for the retro, but I was to accompany Jayanti, correct? No diplomancer should be without her guard :smallamused:

Matias stays slightly ahead of Jayanti as they head forward. He strives to keep his face passively neutral at the soldiers command.

He dismounts and keeps his hands far from his weapons, figuring that it would be better not to take off his bow and quiver, seeing as how that would look akin to readying them.

He says nothing, trusting Jayanti to sort it out and himself only to screw it up should he talk.

My blades are in quiver sheaths, so I can't exactly drop them without taking it off or pulling them out, which might be a bad idea. If he can see a way to drop them without looking like he is going to use them, he will.

Sxoa
2008-04-07, 05:31 PM
Jayanti dismounts and calls out in Persian
"Ho fellow Sassanids! We are on official business of the king and travel in disguise. I would like to speak to your commanding officer alone, I will leave my body guard behind and will come unarmed as a show of good faith. She makes a show of hanging up her crossbow and dagger on her camel. She holds onto her walking stick in keeping in with her (second) disguise as the older eunuch Arashazar, as she approaches on foot.
"Wait here Matias, if trouble starts take cover first and protect yourself and the others. Our mission must succeed and they hopefully will not kill me outright if I drop fast. And if they do well, its been a pleasure working with you. Give my regards to our comrades and Ahura Mazda when you meet him." she whispers with a cheerful smile just before she heads off.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-07, 09:39 PM
Seth

Seth studies Jayanti's face, as if storing this moment for posterity. With a small smile, he nods, and passes Jayanti the king's badge (he still had it).

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-08, 02:12 AM
@Jael_Darkwood: Seth probably passed the badge to Jayanti before her and Matias separated from the group to go forward. At the moment Seth and Jayanti are apart from each other.

@Bandededed: Matias can put away the weapons without being threatening, your distance means a melee weapon is not threatening at all, and as long as you do not nock an arrow and simply put your bow away it won't be considered threatening either.

The leader of the guards is visibly surprised by Jayanti's fluent persian, but doesn't let down his guard "I said put down your weapons and walk forward to us. And I meant all of you, then we can see what makes persians dress like the enemy."

Meanwhile Jayanti moves forward towards the archers supporting herself with the walking stick.

Sxoa
2008-04-08, 09:41 PM
"We do not pose a grave threat to 15 armed men with bows knocked and ready. I would speak to you in private first before any other actions occur. I have made a good show of faith and would hope the honor of the Persian military still stands strong enough to grant a request for parlay. Are you afraid that I will outrun your arrows? Come sir! Speak with me, my body guard is left behind and I meet you far closer to your troops, who as already noted have weapons drawn and aimed at my person, than to my companions who sit dead in the saddle with weapons sheathed and bows unstrung. Surely you are not unmanned by single old eunuch?!"
diplomacy check: [roll0] (includes+5 from aura but no bonuses for touching him). As before I don't know the modifiers.

If he continues to refuse to meet me in quiet then I'm going to call back to the others asking what they want to do.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-09, 01:24 AM
The horseman considers Jayanti's argument for a very short time before answering "Come forward then, and hope, for your own sake, that your comrades do not try anything funny."

Jayanti walks forward, to the middle of the archers, as she gets closer the man dismounts and walks forward to meet her. Reading his demeanor Jayanti notices that he is uncertain and a bit confused as if completely surprised by how the events have turned out.

The archers still have arrows nocked and while most are aiming at Jayanti some are aiming at the rest of the party.

Sxoa
2008-04-09, 11:24 PM
(sorry about the delay)

When Jayanti is range to have a conversation that won't be overheard by the captain's men she begins speaking, "Thank you for meeting me captain. While I do not specifically doubt your men, these are trying times and the fewer people who know about us the better."
At this point she draws the king's badge out of her sleeve and shows it to the man, still keeping it in hand but allowing him to inspect it.
"As you can see, we are on urgent and top secret business for the king. While I am not Persian by blood, coming from the eastern realms, I am a faithful servant of his lordship. My companions are all born and bred Sassanids if you wish to inspect them. The reason for our secrecy though is that there may be elements within the Empire who are less loyal to king than than faithful servants such as us."
If it's not appropriate to offer a bribe, or she gets the sense that he would be insulted she says,
"Were you filthy Arabs I would offer you silver for your silence on our passing, but I know the honor of the Persian soldiers does not require such base motivation."
if she suspects a bribe is in order...
"Your silence is of course imperative in these matters and I would like to offer you a gift to show how much we appreciate your loyalty to the crown. Bonus pay, straight from the king as it were, for we act in his name just as we carry his badge. You may distribute this as you see fit amongst your men." She then hands him what she thinks is a relatively suitable sum of money for his and his soldiers station plus a little extra for good measure.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-10, 02:14 AM
The lieutenant's face changes immediately upon seeing the king's badge. Jayanti however reads him wrong and offers him a bribe. He gestures with his hand and the archers put away their bows and relax, this is clearly a well trained group of experienced soldiers and very familiar with their leader. "My lord, my men and I will be honored to be at your service. We need no extra payment for serving the king and our land."

@Sxoa: your first sense motive roll was dismal, so you didn't see that he would help you without a bribe. On your second sense motive roll you can tell that he is a bit insulted. But the badge has had a great effect and he stays formal and polite.

@everyone: you are in no danger, you can interact with the soldiers and their leader for a turn or so. Ask questions about Arab movements, or anything else, I will move things forward in my next post. (please specify how much you mingle with the soldiers, you can stay completely away from the soldiers and deal only with the leader (short conversation reveals his name as Kurosh) or get mixed with the soldiers.

@and curse your diplomacy ranks even with huge penalties for short interaction times Jayanti succeeds!! how am I supposed to get you in a fight this way? ;) j/k you'll see a fight sooner than you may think!!

Sxoa
2008-04-10, 01:19 PM
Well you asked for a diplomat:smallbiggrin:
Sensing that she has offended the man, Jayanti attempts a social recovery, "Ah where are my manners?! I have spent too much time on the road, and insult our brave men! My apologies sir! Of course you do not need any extra pay to serve king and country, I merely wished to show our appreciation for your service and in these trying times I have nothing more than base silver to bestow. You are of course not filthy Arabs nor mere mercenaries and serve higher ideals than how many whores and how much wine a coin can buy you. Again I meant no disrespect my good captain." She bows respectfully and says, "I will fetch the others in my party.

When she reaches Matias and then the others she explains what has happened. "I do not mean to be arrogant or haughty but I think it would be better if we avoided fraternizing with the rank and file soldiers. The fewer people who know of us the fewer tongues there are that can be paid to wag or let slip something vital while in their cups or on the wrack. As always though I will follow the will of the party, I am merely a mouthpiece.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-11, 12:02 AM
The man stays cold, yet polite as if dealing with a superior. Jayanti talks with him for a short while longer, and he warns you that arab patrols are on the road as well. He is certain that a group of them are guarding the next choke point. Once the rest of the party come close, he casually exchanges a few words with each person.

A short distance past the meeting point, the marshes retreat again and the party moves away from the road and travels for another two days without any significant incidents. Even passing on the road when the marshes force you to do so goes smoothly. Matias and Ista think there is less than 2 days left before arriving in Ctesiphon.

In what should be one of the last times the party needs to travel on the road, a group of arab patrols are spotted. The marshes come almost all the way to the road on the east, and the river tigris is flowing very close to the road on the west.

Once again, thanks to higher spot checks, you see them before being seen: about 8-10 soldiers all mounted on horses.

Decisions?

Sxoa
2008-04-11, 08:09 PM
Jayanti suggests turning them into food for crows and rats, but defers to the wisdom of the fighters and sneakers in the party.
We could also try to ambush them in the night

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-11, 08:59 PM
Seth

Seth is of the opinion that we should try to sneak by, if we cannot then we should tell them we are working for a high ranked sorceror, if that fails then we can bury the bodies and try to get as far away as possible.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-12, 12:34 AM
The party members discuss their options in relative calm as the enemy is still unaware of their existence.

I am unlikely to be able to post tomorrow, next post late Sunday night or early monday morning. This should give you a little extra time to decide how you want to handle the patrol and declare your actions.

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-13, 01:05 PM
Ista has thought about this before the encounter and states his conclusions:

"I'd also prefer trying to sneak around the patrol than to fight it. We will be traveling for many hours anyway, so we will lose little if we have spend a few hours retracking and then traveling through the swamps.

If we do take the road, since we are already disguised, I think we should first try bluffing our way passed the patrol. We can claim to be scouts and say there are no Persian soldiers out as far as a days ride. Passing as Arabs is why disguised ourselves, after all. Eventually, we will need to to pass through Arab lands in disguise anyway, but if we can evade the front lines, it should be simpler afterwards. "

Bandededed
2008-04-13, 09:17 PM
Matias

Matias frowns slightly. "We can only do one or the other, though. Sneak by or bluff. If we fail sneaking by, they will likely try to kill us. If we fail bluffing, we can probably be sure that they will attack us. I trust the disguises, though. With the armor we're wearing, I doubt we could recreate our escape from the city, especially since these are soldiers, not simple guards,"

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-14, 04:09 PM
You don't really have the option to sneak by without taking a route that includes serious back tracking of your steps, so I am assuming you follow through with the try to disguise and bluff our way in plan.

The party continues on the road flying the muslim flag. This is noticed by the soldiers who ride forward to greet you immediately. One with the most ornate clothing greets the party in arabic. The words are soft and have a musical ring to them, almost clashing with the rugged face delivering them.

In arabic:

In the name of god, the merciful, the compassionate. Greetings my brethren, I am charged with guarding this passage and need to know what brings you here.

Sxoa
2008-04-14, 10:22 PM
Jayanti replies in Arabic, "Praise our lord Allah my brother in arms! May he grant you the eyes of a desert falcon in your duty. We are outriding scouts returning to deliver our report. We have not seen any of the womenly Persian soldiers for a days ride out from your post.
"Womenly." Jayanti smiles inwardly, appreciating the irony here.
I don't know what I roll to speak sans accent, bluff? disguise?
bluff:
disguise:[roll1d20+23
bonus +5 from aura included
The bluff can also count for my roll to be convincing in what I'm saying, or I can roll again as you will.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-16, 10:30 PM
The soldier looks a bit suspicious, and tries to hide it but his body language betrays him.

Arabic:

I am bakr son aas my brother, and who are you and your companions? I am puzzled as a few of those who have not seen the light flew from us a mere hours ago. I was hoping you had finished them off sending them to hell as they deserver. I wonder how they got past your company.

Can I get everyone to post their positions? I will put up a mini-map in the OOC thread again. (I will center the map on Jayanti. Everyone else needs to announce their location. You shouldn't spread wide as it would look suspicious)

Sxoa
2008-04-16, 11:27 PM
Can you post the link to the out of character thread? I've lost it! I'm replying in a culturally apropriate manner I presume. If there is some stigma at the time to using a person's full name, (and I'm aware of it, which I guess I might not be) then I obviously avoid that. Its a learning experience!
Jayanti thinks curses! but replies smooth as spun silk,
Arabic
"Well met bakr son aas, I am Azhar i’bn Khaleed al Jarrari, leader of this company. Perhaps the men you let flee to take the tale of your valor back to their wives and masters turned north before reaching us? We have been scouring the swamps making sure no one slips past our patrols near the river. If the headed into the swamps then there are any number of things that could have happened to them. Our number used to be plus one till a sink hole ate man and beast and gear in one bite! Perhaps our lord of light in his infinite wisdom saw fit to meet out a similar fate to the infidels you scattered to the wind.
Jayanti gestures towards the group at the beginning of her speech.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-16, 11:37 PM
OOC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74127)

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-18, 02:56 AM
He continues talking to Jayanti in Arabic:

Well met indeed Azhar i’bn Khaleed. I will have one of my men freshen up your mounts. While one more is standing watch, we will then stand together for the afternoon prayer. As the profit says the larger the crowd praying together, the more the good deed recorded by the angels of heaven. I hope you give us the honor of leading the prayer.

Afternoon prayer can be performed right away. The time for it is almost exactly now. The prayer should take about 5-10 minutes.

Sxoa
2008-04-18, 02:20 PM
Jayanti combs her memory trying to remember the prayer.
[roll0] Presuming thats enough she continues.

In Arabic
"You do me great honor sir. Are you sure you would not lead them yourself? You have stood here bravely and standing in combat while we have been merely mucking about in the swamps."
When the man insists, she continues in Arabic
"As you wish. Let me speak with my companions for a but a breath, we will join you at your camp momentarily."

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-18, 03:22 PM
You remember the prayer, it's a complicated ritual performed facing Mecca. But you have learnt it in the past.

Bakr continues

Mucking about in the swamps? you underestimate the bravery of yourself and your men, guiding outriders in the persian territory is no small task. We will be honored to follow you in prayer, and I will be honored to know your men.

He then rides up to Pedram, saying (still in arabic)

Greetings brave soldier of allah. May the blessings of the profit and the khalif be upon you in your travels. I am Bakr son of Aas, what is your name my brother?

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-18, 08:46 PM
Seth

Bowing slightly to show his deference, Seth answers for Pedram in arabic :

"Ah, they will not understand you, honored sir.... Our leaders in their wisdom have recruited some local horsemen to assist us in scouting. These heathens only speak Persian, but hate their own kind, and help us willingly. We have only lately began to instruct them in the holy tongue, and in the proper methods of prayer." {bluff = [roll0], not sure if this can be counted as 'assisting' Jayanti in her bluff :)}

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-19, 03:10 PM
If there's a convenient moment when the party is out of earshot of the patrol, Ista will say that he is quite capable of leading the prayers, but his ability to bluff otherwise is quite poor. If Jiyanti doesn't want him to lead the prayers he can help give some pointers to the patrol.

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-21, 02:38 AM
Unholier, I need to know if you are in or out. If I don't hear from you by Wednesday, I will start contacting people for a replacement.

Frustrated by Pedram's lack of immediate response and before Seth can give his explanation, Bakr signals one of his men. Seth's explanation arrives shortly and seems to convince him somewhat. At least until the man he had signaled yells out something in Arabic, which causes all of the arabs to draw their scimitars.

All of them, they are all damned to the fires of hell.

Initiative Rolls, and actions for the first round please.

Please read back my first combat post again, to remember how I want you to format your posts.

Bandededed
2008-04-21, 02:16 PM
Matias

[roll0]
{table]Matias |Ranger 6
HP 42/42: 0 nonlethal |Speed: 40
AC/T/FF |19/13/16
Melee Atk |A. Blade: +10/+5 / 1d6 + 2/1
Ranged |Longbow: +10/+5 / 1d8+2
Saves |Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2[/table]

OOC: italics are thoughts

Matias curses silently when the Arab's begin to draw their weapons. What I wouldn't give to know their damn language he thinks.

My actions are dependent on where I fall in the order of things. Ideally, I could dismount while drawing my bow and try for a ranged sneak attack against the leader.

Failing that, I would try to shoot someone else who is still flat-footed.

Then again, I'm not sure if I can stack those two move actions together :smallannoyed:.

Either way, I dismount into the space ^ (14,12?) from mine. If I can draw and shoot, good. Otherwise I'll just draw my blades and let them do the talking.

Edit: Whoops. I'll roll (if I even need to) in the OOC thread

Sxoa
2008-04-21, 04:51 PM
Init:[roll0]
Agreed on the subject of actions. Before we declare actions can we get a list of initiatives or just declare our action when its our turn?

HP: 35
AC: 13/10

Jayanti will probably drop from her camel and slap its rump to send it running among the Arab's horses while she retreats to her own sides line.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-21, 08:20 PM
Seth

Init [roll0]
HP 23/23
AC 17 , 14 flat , 13 touch
Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2

Does my sense motive give me advance notice? I'd probly know about 'detect unbeliever'. Have I been studying the leader for 3 rounds?

If Seth can catch wind of the arab's sense unbeliever before he reports it to his captain (sense motive 1d20+ 9), then he will distract the captain briefly (bluff : look over there! something shocking! [roll1]) and give him a good face stabbing (hopefully 3 rounds have gone by. If not, but Seth still acts in suprise round, then he will circle the captain (5ft step) to flank with one of the other teammates and then sneak attack him.

rapier stabbity[roll2] crit confirm (18-20)[roll3], damage [roll4]. Sneak attack(?) [roll5] Death attack (if possible) = DC 16

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-22, 02:29 AM
I rolled the initiative for the missing members, Pedram has been unresponsive and I will DMPC him, Ista acts as instructed by IamNotJeff in the first round of combat. That is, do nothing and execute total defense.

As for knowing when you move, with initiative rolls as yours I think it would've been safe to assume you go before them (which you do)

start of combat is the Arab soldier's alarming tone and the drawing of weapons, there are no surprise rounds.

Combat Round 1

Matias - Init 22

The ranger quickly dismounts his horse, and draws his blades.

Seth - Init 22

Seth Guides his horse around quickly, having studied Bakr's armor while he was talking to Jayanti he knows of a small opening under the helm and swiftly guides his blade through the opening cutting the enemy's spinal cord.

He failed his save! I hate you! (I'm starting to think, this level appropriate encounters are not really level appropriate! I'm sure you are not supposed to be able to take down a tough fighter just like that!)

Jayanti - Init 20

The slight woman jumps down her camel and encourages the animal to run thorough the horses. But the experienced arab riders are not deterred and hold their ground.

Pedram -Init 16

With Bakr out of the way, Pedram charges the closest soldier. "Surrender, or be prepared to meet your maker."

Attack and damage rolls:
[roll0]- Bah previewing the post!! I rerolled for him using a real dice and he missed.
[roll1]

Bakr -Init 12 (dead)

His body falls from the horse, while the horse gets itself out of the immediate combat zone.

Ista - Init 9

Remains in the back anticipating to rush in as soon as his medical expertise are needed, at the same time he uses his shield to cover himself as well as he can.

Arab Soldiers - Init 5
Momentarily taken a back by their leaders demise, the soldiers regain their footing and charge in. At least most of them do. One turns around and gallops away. Of the remaining ones, the one engaged in combat with Pedram tries to hit him, and fails. Two attack Seth swearing vengeance, one hist solidly while the others blow is weak and seth dodges it easily. Two charge Jayanti and both hit, and the last one tries to hit Matias misses by a wide margin.

Seth: 5 pts of damage
Jayanti: 8 pts of damage

Sxoa
2008-04-22, 08:18 AM
HP: 26
AC: 13/10

on her turn unless she can't avoid hitting her allies Jayanti does the following
Jayanti shouts in Persian, "Matias, anyone, kill the fleeing man! Hit his horse! Anything!"
She then takes a step back and unleashes a wave of flame over the two soldiers who confronted her.
[roll0] EDIT: well... at least they're on fire:smallbiggrin:

They and their horses need to make DC 15 reflex saves for half damage. Regardless of the save they're on fire. On their turns they can take full round actions to extinguish the flames (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullRoundActions) or else they continue burning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire).

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-22, 08:53 AM
Ista shouts (in Persian):

"In the name of all that is good, someone stop that rider! Jiyanti, can you prayers and taunts bring him back here?"

HP 42, AC 31/16. If the rider is down by the time it's Ista's turn, he reserves to heal.

If the rider is still going, Ista drops his body shield, draws his bow. If the horse has already been shot, he shoots the horse. If not, he shoots the rider. If he attacks, it is HP 42, AC 22, to hit [roll0], damage [roll1].

I'm having enormous computer troubles, but I hope to have it fixed soon.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-22, 10:59 AM
Seth

Init : 22
HP : 18/23
AC : 17 (13 touch, 14 flat)
Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2[

Confronted by two men, Seth digs into his bag o tricks... Feinting at one with his rapier, he stabs for the other one with his poisoned dagger, and circles, trying to keep the leftmost of his opponents between himself and the other one.

Move action : Feint against leftmost opponent (I'm going to stab your friend, not you...) bluff [roll0], Attack with dagger [roll1] (crit 19-20 possible confirm[roll2]), dagger damage [roll3], Poison DC 19 Fort, Con Damage [roll4] initial, secondary damage same in 1minute (10 rounds), Sneak attack damage [roll5].

5ft step north, the further north guy was my target (to my left)

Bandededed
2008-04-22, 02:28 PM
Matias
Matias |Ranger 6
AC/T/FF |19/13/16
Melee Atk |Arascid Blade: +10/+5 / 1d6 + 2/1
Saves |Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2

"Of course one runs," he spits irritatedly. Dropping his daggers, he whips out his bow while side stepping to his right. There he natches two arrows, and aims for a split second before firing at the fleeing arab's horse

5 ft step to 10,15 while drawing bow (blades are in 11,15). Using Many shot to double shot the horse of the fleeing arab.
[roll0] : with the -4 penalty for many shot
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-22, 03:18 PM
Combat Round 2

Matias - Init 22

This is a very bad position for shooting. He is far away and there is a horse, it's rider and Jayanti directly between you and him!

The ranger drops his daggers, draws his bow and fires a pair of arrows in a fluid motion all while dodging a blow from the Arab rider fighting him. One hits the mark and injures the horse, while the other is grazes another one of the riders on it's way and misses its mark.

Seth - Init 22

Guiding the horse with his knees, Seth tricks his target and lands a telling blow. The rider slides off the horse bleeding badly.

Jayanti - Init 20

Smell of burning hair fills the air fire shoots from Jayanti's hands and engulfs the two soldiers harassing her.

Pedram -Init 16

Feeling the urgency of not letting anyone flee, Pedram asks for a favor from Ahura and brings down his weapon with all his might. His sward cuts deep into the man's flesh. He is badly injured and struggles to keep himself in the saddle.

Attack and damage rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ista - Init 9

The priest drops his shield and aims at the fleeting rider, but is distracted by his concern for his allies and shots far off the mark.

Arab Soldier- running - Init 5
He continues to gallop away.
distance to you at the end of this turn: approximately 600 ft

Arab Soldiers - Fighting - Init 5
The ones still standing continue to fight. It becomes clear very quickly that they are outmatched terribly as only one manages to land a blow, and even then it's barely more than a scratch on Jayanti's arm.

Jayanti: 3 pts of damage

Sxoa
2008-04-23, 12:00 AM
Jayanti moves away from the burning riders and their screaming horses in an effort to get a clearer shot. As she moves along she draws her crossbow and lets a shot fly, hoping against hope for a lucky strike.

While her curse is a tongue no one present understands, the anger is very clear. Jayanti sputters in rage as the bolt shatters and explodes in the crossbow sending splinters of wood flying everywhere.
Unless Matias or someone else takes down the horse or guy before Jayanti's turn she does the described action moving to 07,07 and provoking AoO from the two burning guys. If someone does kill the escapee she steps away and lets loose with a gout of fire on the soldier and horse in 12,08 (obviously avoiding Seth).

Roll to hit with crossbow +5 normal -14 for being 7 range increments away. [roll0]

Wow, that is the exact opposite of the natural twenty I needed to hit.

IAmNotJeff
2008-04-23, 03:24 PM
Ista positions himself to protect Remo from any possible remaining enemy troops and then reserves to heal anyone who needs it.

Bandededed
2008-04-23, 07:23 PM
{table]Matias |Ranger 6
AC/T/FF |19/13/16

Matias, resigned to letting the runner escape, instead raises his bow to the closest arab and lets fly a volly of arrows.

I provoke AoOs for this, but what the heck. Full attack + rapidshot at nearest enemy.
Attacks: [roll0]
Totals (+8, +8, +3): 14, 16, 18
Damage: [roll1]
Totals (+2 each): 5, 7, 4

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-24, 06:14 PM
Combat Round 3

Matias - Init 22

The rider tries unsuccessfully to hit Matias as he sends a volley of arrows his way. One hit him in the thigh while the other embeds itself into his stomach, the last arrow grazes his cheek leaving a bloody scratch but no serious wound.

Seth - Init 22

Surprised at how easily two of the enemies fell under his strike, Seth misses the opportunity to strike at the closest foe.

Jayanti - Init 20

As Jayanti moves away from the riders to fire her crossbow, one of the manages to strike past her defenses and inflict another wound on the inexperienced combatant.

Pedram -Init 16

Pedram cuts down his opponent and immediately his mount takes off after the escaping rider. He shouts back at you "Finish these off, I will try to stop the last one."

Attack and damage rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Second attack if needed:
[roll2]
[roll3] Not needed after all!

Ista - Init 9

Ista moves into position to protect Remo from possible danger. While watching the battle closely in case his services are needed.

distance to you at the end of this turn: approximately 900 ft You can barely see him in the cloud of dust he is leaving behind.

The ones still standing continue to fight. The one injured by Matias takes a token revenge by scoring a solid hit on the ranger. Seth's opponent is as distracted as Seth himself and completely misses the mark. While the other two close on Jayanti and try to hit her again unsuccessfully.

Jayanti: 3 pts of damage.
Matias: 5 pts of damage.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-24, 07:25 PM
Seth

Sorry about not posting, dunno how I missed it yesterday.

Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2[

Turning to face the remaining soldier, Seth first feints towards his face with his rapier, then angles his rapier to come in under the soldier's ribcage. Guiding his horse, he maneuvers backwards towards Ista by 5 feet.

Move action : Feint against remaining opponent (defend against a face stabbing! Fake!) bluff [roll0], Attack with rapier [roll1] (crit 18-20 possible confirm[roll2]), rapier damage [roll3], Sneak attack damage [roll4].

Sxoa
2008-04-24, 09:15 PM
Jayanti curses at the remaining soldier, pointing out the hopelessness of his situation.
Using the inspire despair ability of the silver tongued feat: Allows me to use Crushing Despair (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/crushingDespair.htm) if I make a DC 25 Diplomacy check. He gets a Will save at DC 10+1/2 My ranks in Diplomacy+Charisma modifier (19) to resist.
diplomacy check [roll0]includes +5 from aura,

Which reminds me, Seth gets a +5 bonus to all his bluff checks since he's within 60 feet of me. The aura adds my Charisma modifier (+5) to all charisma based skill checks allies make within 60 feet. Not that he seems to need it, but it is there regardless.

Bandededed
2008-04-25, 04:35 PM
{table]Matias |Ranger 6
HP 37/42: 0 nonlethal |Speed: 40
AC/T/FF |19/13/16
Saves |Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2
[/table]

Matias simply snarls at his opponent, steps back and fluidly draws back his bow, releasing more arrows at the wounded soldier, planning on taking out any other wounded as well.

I'm not sure how many of them are standing at this point, but I take a 5 ft. step north, and use my rapid shot again. First target is the arab that hit me, but after that he shoots at the weakest of them.

[roll0] - +8, +8, +3 respectively
Totals: 28, 14, 11
[roll1] - +2 (all)
Totals: 3, 9, 9
Crit confirmed - att 25, extra damage 10 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4245713#post4245713)

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-26, 02:52 AM
Combat Round 4

Matias - Init 22

Matias's first arrow finds a weak link in the riders chain shirt and passes right through his heart. His lifeless body hits the ground shortly after.

The ranger then turns his attention to one of the riders attacking Jayanti, his next shot is miss, but his last arrow finds its target and embed itself into the riders flesh.

Now that was a shot to bring down the run away rider with! Unfortunately Roy's dad forgot to mention you should shoot at him! ;)

Seth - Init 22

Seth fools his adversary but his rapier slashes at his armor without any effect.

Jayanti - Init 20

Jayanti taunts the rider attacking her, promising to feed his corpse to the dogs.

Pedram -Init 16

Pedram continues to chase down the one rider that got away.

Ista - Init 9

Ista keeps close to remo, while still looking at the battle carefully to see if anyone needs his help.

The ones still standing continue to fight. as if surrender is an option that do not consider. But none of them manage to inflict a wound.

Sxoa
2008-04-26, 10:50 AM
Jayanti once again lets loose with a wave of fire, washing over her enemies and their mounts.
Init : 20
HP : 20/34
AC : 13/10
Fort +5 Ref +6 Will +6

5' step back and torch 'em!
[roll0] fire damage. DC 15 reflex save for half. On fire even if they save.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-26, 12:01 PM
Seth

Sorry about not posting, dunno how I missed it yesterday.

Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2

Continuing to engage the remaining soldier, Seth first feints towards his face with his rapier, then stabs for his face again, attempting to catch him off guard. Guiding his horse, he maneuvers to square 11/9.

Move action : Feint against remaining opponent (defend against a face stabbing! Fake!) bluff [roll0], Attack with rapier [roll1] (crit 18-20 possible confirm[roll2]), rapier damage [roll3], Sneak attack damage [roll4].

Bandededed
2008-04-26, 09:56 PM
{table]Matias |Ranger 6
HP 37/42: 0 nonlethal |Speed: 40
AC/T/FF |19/13/16

Deciding that Seth could handle his quarry, Matias quick steps towards his fallen enemy and launches a hail of arrows at the arabs attacking Jayanti

Okay, 5 ft move south, aiming for the arab on the right first (of course). Rapidshot, you know the drill
Attacks - [roll0] (+8, +8, +3)
Totals - 16, 27, 17
Damage - [roll1] (+2 each)
Totals - 8, 4, 7

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-27, 10:57 PM
Combat Round 5

Matias - Init 22

Matias's arrows fly true, the first one brings down one of the arab, the next two pierce the other riders body. He looks burned and badly injured by now.

Seth - Init 22

Seth's stab is again bounces of the riders armor.

Jayanti - Init 20

With another wave of fire, both horses and the last rider engaging Jayanti collapse.

Pedram -Init 16

Pedram continues riding after the rider. He is also hard to see at this point, disappearing behind the could of dust that his galloping horse kicks up.

Ista - Init 9

Ista keeps close to remo, while still looking at the battle carefully to see if anyone needs his help.

Arab Soldier - Fighting - Init 5

Only one rider is left, as his last ally fall he turns his horse and starts running away as well. (Seth, you get an attack of opportunity against him.)

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-28, 10:47 PM
Seth

Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2

Making a stab at the rider with his rapier as he flees, Seth hesitates less than a second before charging his opponent.

Attack with rapier [roll0] (crit 18-20 possible confirm[roll1]), rapier damage [roll2], then charge [roll3] (crit 18-20 possible confirm[roll4]), rapier damage [roll5]

Sxoa
2008-04-29, 08:00 AM
Jayanti steps away from the flaming corpses and attempts to fire another shot with her crossbow. This time she aims at the nearer fleeing soldier.

She curses again as the crossbow's action malfunctions and explodes the bolt in a shower of splinters once again. She resolves to have one of her more martially minded companions have a look at it before she accidentally kills herself.
I payed damn good money for this thing. If that merchant cheated me I'm going to track him down and flay his flesh from his bones...
Init : 20
HP : 20/34
AC : 13/10
Fort +5 Ref +6 Will +6

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

not having so much luck with this crossbow:smalltongue:

CGCL_Andy
2008-04-29, 04:48 PM
Seth doesn't give the rider a chance to run, stabbing him as he starts and then staying close and finishing him off with a second hit.

End of combat, unless someone wants to run after Pedram and the last rider.

Please post your actions immediately after the end of combat.

Sxoa
2008-04-30, 03:48 AM
Jayanti runs off to retrieve her camel.

Bandededed
2008-04-30, 08:43 AM
Matias stows his bow and retrieves his blades, trusting Pedram to catch the runner.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-01, 01:55 AM
It takes about 10 minutes to round up all the mounts and gather the corpses. There are 4 light war horses and 1 heavy war horse alive.

Meanwhile Pedram has not returned from chasing down the last rider yet and the party starts getting a bit nervous about him.

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-01, 04:13 AM
I meant to post yesterday saying Ista wanted to give chase within a minute, but I guess I forgot to click post or the servers at my post. Sorry.

"Pedram has been gone too long. This failure has put us in a dire situation. Either Pedram has been overpowered by a serious foe, or he has become lost. Either way, he may well be captured and be forced to reveal our plan. Probably the Arabs will soon be aware that their patrol is missing, and possibly they already know. "

Ista pauses.

"I see no good plan from this situation.

We must be exceedingly careful at this point. I think we should take everything here, including the bodies, and backtrack a little. Hopefully, they will mistake us for horse thieves. After concealing our tracks, we can then try to move through the swamps. Since we have failed to pass through here by trickery, I think we should simply travel through the swamps. It will take longer though.

Once we are in the swamps, we can check that the captured horses are loyal and replace our hoses by warhorses. Probably, we should kill the extra horses. "

[spoiler]I'm giving up on Pedram fairly easily, since he seems to have lost contact with the giantitp server anyway, and this is an easy way for Andy to remove the character. [\spoiler]

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-01, 12:04 PM
Please don't take how I will deal with removing the character and whether Unholier is playing or not into account.

Act as in character as you can, I will deal with Pedram. If Ista's instincts are to go search for Pedram and help him. I think you should do that instead of thinking well it will help the DM. (the DM does have a plan for removing Pedram. Which will work regardless of your actions.)

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-01, 04:31 PM
Seth

Seth considers Ista's words for a few moments, then replies;
"I agree that we should linger here only as long as it takes to bury these bodies, but I disagree as to our course. We now have a change of horses. If we push hard, we can make quite a lot of distance, and with a fresh change of horses we can push quite a lot further."

Seth grimaces.

"As much as I hate the idea of not waiting around for Pedram, I think there is just too much risk in either waiting for him or setting off in pursuit of him. I hope he remembers where we are travelling to, hopefully he will make his own way there."

He pauses.

"Hopefully, Pedram will return before we finish looting and concealing these soldiers, rendering this conversation moot."

Seth begins to turn out the pockets of the corpses, efficiently gathering their goods. He looks expectantly at Ista (detect magic plz).

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-01, 05:30 PM
Seth

Seth considers Ista's words for a few moments, then replies;
"I agree that we should linger here only as long as it takes to bury these bodies, but I disagree as to our course. We now have a change of horses. If we push hard, we can make quite a lot of distance, and with a fresh change of horses we can push quite a lot further."

Seth grimaces.

"As much as I hate the idea of not waiting around for Pedram, I think there is just too much risk in either waiting for him or setting off in pursuit of him. I hope he remembers where we are travelling to, hopefully he will make his own way there."

He pauses.

"Hopefully, Pedram will return before we finish looting and concealing these soldiers, rendering this conversation moot."

Seth begins to turn out the pockets of the corpses, efficiently gathering their goods. He looks expectantly at Ista (detect magic plz).

Sxoa
2008-05-01, 05:54 PM
"Waiting here is absolutely out of the question. If we have not given him up for lost we can perhaps send Matias or Seth to go scout after him. We can remain on course and our scout can ride hard to catch up with us. I am not worried about the holy warrior being tortured though. His faith in your god has made him fearless.

I do not think we should kill the horses. Having a change of horses is valuable, and if worst comes to worse we an convert the beasts into hard currency. As to what path we take I am more partial to the rode, but I admit that this desire comes more from my dislike of sleeping in the swamps. With Matias's excellent skill in finding dry ground though the swamps have not been unbearable and I will do whatever the group thinks is best.

Incidentally can one of you take a look at my crossbow? I think there is something terribly wrong with it."

Jayanti moves over to the pile of gear Seth has assembled and chants a prayer of knowledge and perception to the flame and the shadow.
detect magic

Bandededed
2008-05-01, 08:14 PM
Matias frowns slightly with worry over his lost ally.

"I dislike leaving him, but following him could lead us straight into a trap. If he is captured, or even if he did not manage to catch the runner, and we are still waiting here, they will know exactly where we are. We must move forward. I'm sure he can find us again if he needs to. I believe we should take to the swamps, though. Continuing on the road would be substantially more dangerous, especially if the runner has warned any other nearby groups," he says.

"And I agree with Jayanti about the horses. If we tie them to the saddles of the ones we are riding, we can switch on and off, making ourselves less of a burden on the beasts."

Matias sighs at Jayanti's mention of her crossbow. "I noticed you had a problem with it," he explains, "But I have no real knowledge of the weapon. I can examine it, but I don't know if it will help or not,"

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-02, 01:50 AM
The arab riders are all wearing chain-shirt armor, and have food and water-skins with them. Searching them reveals a few coins here and there and a couple of gems.

Bakr is much better dressed, wearing what looks like a very expensive outfit not quite fit for riding a horse and scouting and at the moment soaked in blood gushed from the wound on his neck. Underneath is a finely woven silverish chainmail, with motives of leaves and wind blowing them in a seemingly random pattern. Looking at it, is like looking at a piece of art, as if the armor doesn't belong in a battle but is made to be displayed in nobles house.

He also has a some money on him, and a piece of torn cloth with gold and silver thread woven into it and gems attached to the surface.

Loot(nothing magical):
the horses (4 light warhorses, 1 heavy warhorse)
coins (87 gp 56 silver and 12 coper pieces)
assorted gems (I notice nobody has ranks in appraise! so you really
don't know how much they are worth. I can give you visual
descriptions if you want)
6 sets of masterwork chainmail
1 exotic chainmail made of a silverish metal you don't recognize
1 set of fancy clothing, slightly worn and beaten. But nothing that can't
be fixed with a little work.
1 piece of cloth, with silver and gold threads and gems worked on
the surface. It appears to be torn from a larger piece.
7 scimitars, 7 composite longbows, 120 arrows.

Although much different from how you've seen it, most of you recognize the piece of cloth as a piece of the Derafsh-e Kaviani. The flag of the empire from the Palace of Kasra. You had heard rumors that it was cut up as spoil of war for the fighters who entered the Palace first. Now you see it by your own eyes.

So Pedram is being abandoned. Reading the posts I'm still unsure which route you are taking. Are you backtracking and going through the swamps? or trying to cut through the swamps from right here? or moving forward on the road?

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-02, 03:01 AM
"I'm willing to accept the group's decision that we should push forward. I think Matias is right that we should travel through the swamps. It will be much safer. That was our original plan. Our brief encounter on the road has demonstrated that we will likely draw attention to ourselves continuing this way. I also agree we should bring the horses with us. I'd suggest we bring the bodies with us. I don't want to leave much evidence, on the off chance that Pedram has killed the runner.

I agree with Jiyanti that the Arabs will not break Pedram's will. If he is captured, he will reveal nothing. If he is lost, then we can hope that he will rendezvous with us in Ctesiphon or return safely to Persia. Either way, I will pray for his safety.

Let us take the road to the end of this particularly difficult part of the swamp, and then travel through the swamp from there. For the few miles it takes to pass this difficult piece of swamp, we can track Pedram.

By not travelling close to the road, we should be able to avoid further difficult patches. "

At some point on the weekend, I'll set up a file on my computer where I'll keep a record of the loot we've gained. I'll post it every weekend (in a spoiler) so we all know where things stand.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-03, 03:27 PM
After about a half hour of work the bodies are buries and all signs of conflict is cleared from the road. The party assembles again each with one or two extra horses in tow and continues riding along the road to clear the rough patch of swamps before moving away from the road again.

After 20 minutes or so of riding the party arrives at the site of another battle. Three human bodies and two horses have fallen on the road. they are the arab rider who got away, another man dressed in the arab riders garb and Pedram. Pedram's mount is standing close to his body and is badly wounded.

Ista runs up to Peram, a quick look by the experienced healer reveals that Pedram is not dead, but is completely paralyzed. The warrior is however badly beaten and seems to have lost a lot of blood as well.

Sxoa
2008-05-04, 05:43 PM
"Matias, can you tell if anyone left this fray?
Tracks and the like

Bandededed
2008-05-04, 07:52 PM
Sorry, I had a really busy day yesterday :smallannoyed:
Matias

Distracted by the plight of his companion, Matias jumps at Jayanti's voice. Chiding himself for not doing so earlier, he moves about the site, trying to determine if any of the battling parties survived to flee, and anything else that may be important.

[roll0] Let's see what happened here...

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-05, 12:42 AM
Matias studies the road, but it is a road and one that's used fairly often. So it's full of tracks of horses and people on foot coming and going. As soon as Jayanti asks the question though, Pedram's horse starts kicking its hooves on the ground.

Most of you recall how Pedram talked about his horse as if it was as intelligent as a person and how he mentioned he can communicate with the horse mentally even when they are apart.

This is when you left the horses behind and left the city in hiding. and when you were waiting for the mounts in your rendezvous location.

Ista also remembers that the victims of Paralyzation are still capable of performing purly mental actions, and their senses are also intact.

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-05, 02:18 AM
Ista rushes over to Pedram to inspect and treat his wounds.

If there's injuries other than the paralysis, then he'll cast cure light or cure moderate wounds to heal those. He'll also use a detect magic spell to see if there's any magical effects on Pedram. It's a long shot, but I'm hoping that this is just a temporary magical effect.

"Brother Pedram, if these injuries are not the result of sorcery, I think it is beyond my power to treat them. I'm very sorry.

If you can here us and still communicate with your horse, we have a few important questions. I'm sure your determination to aid us in our quest is undiminished by your injuries, so I hope you will be able to answer us. Can you have your horse give us two foot stomps for 'yes' and three for 'no'?

Can you hear and understand us?

Did any other riders manage to carry away a warning that we are coming?

Your horse might be able to still carry you. I'm going to ask if you'd rather travel with us or try to return to Persian territory.

Would you like to stay with us?

Would you like for your horse to carry you back to Persia now?
"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-05, 08:12 PM
just wanted to say im still here, just dont see a point where I need to input a comment atm. had a busy weekend :)

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-06, 02:07 AM
Both Peram and his mount or seriously injured, so a lot of healing is needed to bring them both back to full hit-points. Pedram's Paralysis seems to be the effect of a poison, and Ista detects no unfamiliar magical auras around.

With the help of the mount Pedram and Ista manage to start communicating and the mount patiently stomps his hoof to answer the questions for Pedram.

Can you hear and understand us?
Yes

Did any other riders manage to carry away a warning that we are coming?
No

Your horse might be able to still carry you. I'm going to ask if you'd rather travel with us or try to return to Persian territory.

Would you like to stay with us?
Yes

Would you like for your horse to carry you back to Persia now?
No

Pedrams reluctance to leave on his mount and go back is understandable, the road being at the border of two waring nations is not safe for a helpless person to travel on.

May I remind you that Seth knows (From his conversation with Kavuus) of the merchant in Ctesiphon who has kept his underground network of thieves and spies, he might be able to send pedram back to Persia.

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-06, 03:49 AM
"I'm glad to have you travel with us, Pedram. I hope we will be able to restore your health, but it is beyond my prayers at the moment. If you ever want to try to tell us something, have your horse stomp four times, and then we will try to discuss it with you."

Ista will carefully secure Pedram to his horse. He then proposes

"We should continue to the end of this difficult part of the swamp, and then continue through the swamp. "

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-06, 08:42 PM
Seth

"I propose we make all possible haste to Ctesiphon... our contact there may have experience with this poison, or someone that can help.... And if all else fails, he may be able to arrange safe passage for Pedram." He looks at Pedram. "Well. The majority wish to venture the swamps, so that is our path, I suppose. "

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-06, 10:08 PM
Seth

"I propose we make all possible haste to Ctesiphon... our contact there may have experience with this poison, or someone that can help.... And if all else fails, he may be able to arrange safe passage for Pedram." He looks at Pedram. "Well. The majority wish to venture the swamps, so that is our path, I suppose. "

Sxoa
2008-05-06, 10:26 PM
Jayanti watches the happenings with interest but interjects nothing. She nods in agreement at Seth's latest comments and falls in line with the group.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-07, 04:44 AM
Ista and Jayanti secure Pedram to his mount and the party moves through the swamps and makes it way to Ctesiphon. The rest of the trip goes without any major incidents, sleeping in less than desirable conditions and fighting the bugs aside.

In the afternoon of the second day the party arrives within sight of the Ctesiphon's gate.

How are you getting inside? Are you staying off the road, or are you coming back on the road once you are really close to the city?

Also unless you do something about it, at the moment you look like you have been traveling through the swamps for at least 2 days!!

Last, can someone tell me why you didn't loot the riders pedram had killed?

Bandededed
2008-05-07, 08:47 AM
Probably because I lagged out and didn't realize that it didn't accept my post :smallannoyed: Oh well. Hopefully we didn't miss anything too important.

Matias

Spotting the gates, he slows his pace until he stops. "I doubt we should just approach, since not many guards will trust us should we appear as we do. Especially if we appear from the swamps instead of the road,"

"I'm not sure if we can take the night off with Pedram in his condition, but it could go a long way towards improving our reception..."

Sxoa
2008-05-07, 09:02 PM
"Pedram is not dead yet after travelling through those wretched swamps. I think we should take a night to clean up. I do not think his condition will deteriorate further, and as Matias said it could go a long way towards improving our reception.

Perhaps Ista, you could take a look at Pedram again and see if we have time to spare? Another thing to consider is our cover story. Arab soldiers apparently is less than ideal as they can use sorcery to detect faith. Perhaps arms merchants? We have some gear from the soldiers we killed."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-07, 10:20 PM

I meant I gather as in take.. :)

Seth

"Agreed." Seth looks down at himself. "We can take the opportunity to disguise Pedram as well... if we make a litter and bring him on it, perhaps we can claim to be mercenaries."

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-08, 04:29 AM
Ista casts detect magic on the equipment Seth took.

"I don't know much about disguises, but diguising ourselves as merchants or mercenaries seems fine to me. I think we should avoid the roads when we can.

It's already been two days travelling through the swamp, and Pedram seems stable, so I don't imagine he'll have any problems if we take an extra night to relax and clean ourselves up. "

In the evenings, Ista will make sure to talk to Pedram for awhile and try to communicate with him through the horse.

CGCl_Andy, can you correct me if I'm wrong about Pedram's condition.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-08, 02:54 PM
Sorry for the lack of posting yesterday. I had a hard time connecting to the servers the whole day and figured you guys did as well. So I stopped checking and didn't see you posts until today.

@Jael_Darkwood: Seth looted the corpses you killed. But not the extra 2 you found next to Pedram (presumably he had killed them.) you didn't miss anything essential to the plot, but you did miss part of the loot (a couple of doses of very potent poison.)

@IamNotJeff: Detect Magic had already been cast on the equipment and nothing was magical. You are right about Pedram's condition, he will be fine for another day.

@everyone: I've contacted one of the alternates to add to the party as an extra meat-shield we seem to be running short on those. I'll let you know if he is still interested.

The evening is uneventful, at night though Matias notices a strange flickering of light, a fire is burning some distance away. Being in a very damp swamp Matias is almost certain that the fire is man made.

I'm going with the same watch order as your last night, but this is before the watches even start. Matias notices the light immediately after the night fall.

Q: are you lighting a fire?

Sxoa
2008-05-09, 08:40 AM
Jayanti is all for a fire. These swamps are unpleasant enough. However if her more wilderness oriented companions tell her this is a bad idea, she'll go along. Grudgingly.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-10, 01:10 AM
I am not sure what the party is doing, are you investigating the fire? ignoring it? do you have your own fire? what is this cleaning up you intend to do? and so on... I'll wait to hear from you before posting.

Bandededed
2008-05-10, 10:36 AM
Matias

"I see a fire flickering down a ways, friends. It isn't much, but in these swamps any presence of fire is wholly man made. I believe we should send either myself or Seth to investigate and report back.

As for a fire, if those nearby are hostile, certainly not. We don't want them to find us here. If they aren't, then it shouldn't be too bad of a reaction. We might even consider joining up with whoever it is, if they strike us right,"

Matias blinks when he finishes. It is perhaps the longest anyone has heard him speak in months, and he immediately steps off to the side and looks at the others silently as if to make up for it.

Sxoa
2008-05-10, 11:00 AM
"I say Matias and Seth should go check it out, one following the other at a distance. As we saw with Pedram, going off alone is perhaps not the safest of actions. We will wait here until one or the both of you return with news or until a new day dawns.

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-10, 01:35 PM
Sorry, I tried to post yesterday, but giant ate it.

"With only 4 of us left, I'm not keen to send two away, but Jiyanti is right: sending one person alone seems to dangerous. If Seth and Matias want to go investigate, they should. Perhaps, if they are Persian, we can recruit some extra help, with out revealing our mission, or at least find someone to take Pedram back to Persia safely.

Pedram, would you like that?

If they neither appear to be scouting for the enemy nor to be exceptionally trustworty, we should simply try to avoid contact with them. "

If it's possible to build a small fire concealed by rocks, or in a pit, so that the fire is not visible, Ista will be willing to do so; otherwise, the party will have to make do without a fire.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-12, 05:06 AM
I've been having trouble connecting to the forums for the past two nights again. Sorry for the lack of posts, it's too late at this point to start composing a post. I will post tomorrow early evening (US Central time).

Hopefully I won't have connection troubles then.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-13, 04:56 PM
Seth

Nodding to Matias, Seth stands up, sheathing the dagger he was carefully re-poisoning. Securing his gear, he starts stalking slowly towards the fire, fading slowly into the darkness. the server where i store my character is having problems, I have no idea what my move silently/hide checks are... but i think they are fairly good, at least +10... Move silent : [roll0] Hide : [roll1]

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-14, 02:34 AM
Again sorry for not posting. I seem to get the server downtimes a lot these days. Maybe I should change my posting time.

@Jael: Hide and Move Silently are +14 for Seth. I took that into account.

Seth and Matias disappear into the darkness, while Ista and Jayanti wait with the mounts and the unconscious Pedram.

It takes the two a good 20 minutes of walking to get close to the fire, they arrive unnoticed by the person by the fire. It's a single man, well built and muscular wearing a light hide armor while preparing a meal for himself on the fire Matias had noticed.

His clothing and armor are in a rough shape, and he is unshaven and has clearly spent a long time in or around the swamps.

You are just outside the illumination radius for the fire, and can see the man from a distance. He seems for the moment unaware of your presence.

You can't tell by his looks whether he is a persian, an arab or from other ethnicities (a good layer of grime and mud covers almost anything visible about him, but you suspect an Arab would not be living in the swamps these days.

Bandededed
2008-05-14, 08:16 AM
Matias

Matias looks at Seth and whispers, "Stay here and be ready to cover me. I'll go see who this is,"

He moves forward slowly, making no attempt to hide himself. "Hello the fire!" he calls. One hand rests on a blade hilt, but the other is held in a non-threatening position.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-14, 11:34 AM
Seth

Nodding to Matias, Seth pulls out his dagger and holds it in a throwing grip, moving slightly closer, but stopping well short of where he would be noticed.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-15, 01:22 AM
The man stands up and turns towards Matias. He Steps forward picking up a rather large axe as he moves forward, but holds the axe down in a non-threatening fashion as well. He is a giant by any standards, towering head and shoulders over Matias.

As he moves closer, Matias's sharp eye see the patches of skin that are still visible through the mud covering the man. The man's skin is as black as night. Matias has never seen anyone with such skin color.

The big man moves forward a couple of steps and replies in a clearly broken persian "Hello, who walking here?"

Sxoa
2008-05-16, 01:25 AM
"So...I hope those two aren't dead. Know any card tricks?"
Just a hi I'm alive post

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-16, 03:45 AM
Remo produces a deck of cards out of his pack, and surprisingly knows a few card tricks Jayanti has not seen before.

My hello's as well! I'll not be able to post tomorrow, next post saturday. Meanwhile the sneak experts should decide what the want to do with the big swamp dweller.

I might have made a confusing description of him. He is a giant by human standards, not by D&D standards. Think Shaquille O'Neal.

Bandededed
2008-05-16, 08:17 PM
Matias

Matias drops his hand from his weapon's hilt, and says - slowly enough to be understood, but not insulting - "My name is Matias Arsalam. Who are you?" to cover his surprise. After his tours of duty with the military, he never imagined that he would find such an oddity.

"My friends and I have been traveling for a while, and stopped to make camp. We saw your fire and I came to see who else was in the wilderness tonight. What brings you here?"

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-18, 02:23 AM
The man keeps his axe low, and replies "I name Monnyak" to Matias's introduction. He looks confused during the second half of the speech, once Matias is done talking he says "Fire food cooking. Why swamp walks Matias?" He seems to have missed Matias's question. Then all of the sudden he realizes something, you can see his muscles tense as he holds the axe stronger, "Matias with friends? where friends is?"

Bandededed
2008-05-18, 11:06 AM
Matias

Matias holds his hands wide, intending to display peace. "One friend is with me, I believe," he turns and places his hands on his hips. "Seth, are you back there? Come on out,"

After he turns back around, keeping his movements slow, he says, "The others are at our camp," and points back toward where they came from.

"We will not hurt you, Monnyak. We want to be friends," he finishes, hoping everything he said comes across correctly - what he wouldn't give to have Jayanti's tongue!

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-18, 02:28 PM
Seth

Seth slowly walks towards the fire, coming to stop across the fire from Monnyak.
He smiles, and, turning his dagger to make it noticeable through the fire, returns it to its sheathe. "I am Seth." Quickly, Seth says 'hello' in each of the languages he speaks, hoping to hit one that Monnyak speaks. the server where I store my characters has gone down, not sure if it'll ever go up again, do you have a screenshot of my char or something chief? 'cause I don't even remember what languages I speak. I'll try briefly speaking in each of them to see if one is more comfy, but I can't list them off, heh.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-20, 04:56 PM
Monnyak waits until Seth comes out and introduces himself. He looks at Seth strangely as he speaks in different languages, and then says "Monnyak not understood what you says. Say more slowlier."

I'm afraid I don't have access Seth's character sheet either. If they come back online I will save a copy, you should do the same if you see them (last time when you didn't remember the hide modifier I checked and they were online.)

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-22, 01:30 PM
and then Seth and Matias came back to the camp with their new friend Monnyak. They introduced their new friend to Ista, Jayanti, and Remo, who liked him very much. Ista and Remo made Monnyak a cake to welcome him to the party, and everyone was very happy. Everyone told stories about their lives and made special care to give extra time to Monnyak, since he spoke slowly. They would have spent all night happily talking, except that they knew they had to ride to Ctesiphon the next day, so they did the responsible thing and went to bed early. "And besides, we're crazy responsible" said Ista, and they all went to bed.

Sorry, too much DMing in my past. I thought things needed a little kick to get moving again.

Obviously, when I say everyone went to bed, I'm not including whoever is on watch.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-23, 12:42 AM
good eye NotJeff! I was stalling though because the person I contacted isn't interested, I've asked a few more people if they want to join and take over this character but haven't heard from anyone yet.

I can let him hang with you as an NPC until we find a PC to replace him, or we can leave him here and risk going without a meat-shield for a while more.

Let me know what you think, I will continue the story starting tomorrow night one way or the other.

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-24, 07:05 AM
I think DM's choice is best here. Since we don't have any in game way of knowing Monnyak, and he's not played by a human player, I'd be more inclined to leave him behind, but I've played in games where the DM included an NPC or two and it worked fine. If it'll mean less changes to your game plans to have him along, then we should bring him.

Bandededed
2008-05-25, 09:39 PM
I don't know if anyone has the OOC thread still booked, but I posted what I thought over there. We should keep the meat-shield until we get another player, so we have one, at least.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-26, 02:27 AM
I also think you should keep the meat-shield. The current party mix makes me a little nervous. I will be a bit busy this coming week, I will open an open recruitment thread to get a new meat-shield next week. Meanwhile we can continue with the Barbarian as a temporary smash/then ask questions party member.

Once everyone is back at the camp Jayanti starts communicating with Monnyak, at first it goes slowly but after a few hours her natural knack for languages combined with Monnyak's limited knowledge of persian enables her to talk to him effectively.

Turns out that the man used to be a slave in the Byzantines, originally he is from Nubia and is trying to get back home. He had hoped to get to Persia and book a passage on a ship going around the arabian peninsula but the war has caused him more trouble as foreigners are viewed with suspicion everywhere these days. So he has decided to travel over land to egypt and then down the river Nile to his homeland.

It takes another day to clean him up, and it's practically impossible to disguise him as anything but a slave or a hired mercenary.

I think the party is ready to get inside Ctesiphon. I believe you had decided to go in during the day, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I need to know where will you be heading once you are inside the city (possible answers are: to the temple, to the palace or to the market to meet Kavuus's connection.)

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-27, 01:02 AM
Ista says

"I'd hoped that the city would be empty, and we could just walk in, but that might be unrealistic. Seth, do you think you could get us to your local contact?"

Sxoa
2008-05-28, 04:32 AM
"I agree. I think we should try to meet up with the local contact ASAP. They can give us the lay of the land and from their we can decide where to head."

Bandededed
2008-05-28, 07:33 AM
Matias

Matias just shrugs. "I agree,"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-28, 10:53 AM
Seth

"I think our best option, honestly, is to pose as mercenaries. If we head straight to the market, hopefully we can get my contact to reinforce that story... He poses as a legitimate businessman." Seth smiles slightly. "We were just out trying to catch some Persian scum who apparently tried to sneak through the swamp. No luck, but its time to take a break."

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-29, 12:08 AM
Posing as the mercenaries the party enters the town without much trouble. The gates were guarded but not very heavily as if the arabs didn't want to disrupt the normal life of the city. Once inside Seth takes everyone to the market. The market is a confusing maze of covered alleys, rooms and stores open up into the alleys, some field with goods and some empty but for a place to sit and talk.

One of the empty rooms is where Seth guides everyone to. Inside are a few men talking about what looks like sending a caravan of food items north and bringing back some steel from Shaam.

As the party approaches Hormoz looks up and shifts his eyes left ever so slightly, Seth catches the signal continues walking past the room and enters the next store. This one is filled with elaborately crafted statues and other ornaments, and old man is in the room and greets everyone as they enter.

"Greetings soldiers. Would you like to get a gift for your families back home? Something to show you've visited the city of wonders the great Ctesiphon?"

Bandededed
2008-05-29, 07:02 AM
Matias

Matias shrugs again, feeling that the action has become more than a little repetitive, and busies himself examining the artwork around the people.

Search - [roll0]. Just in case.

Sxoa
2008-05-29, 02:04 PM
Jayanti looks to Seth, planning on following his lead.
Is this the contact? she thinks.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-30, 01:17 AM
Moving things along.... Jael are you still around?

Seth examines the goods and responds to the shop keeper, while whispering to his friends that Hormoz is in the next store but it isn't safe to go inside at the moment.

A short while later, Hormoz himself walks into the store. A short middle aged man with not much hair left on his head. He is wearing a nice set of clothing and greets Seth openly. "My friend, I wasn't expecting to see you around here. How is your father doing these days? I have to send a Caravan your way, plenty of goods to deliver. And frankly I an use a group of well muscled soldiers to guard it for me, with the roads being as they are. I hope you can help me out with that. You aren't busy, are you? what brings to to Ctesiphon?..." He continues babbling for a while and from Seth's expression everyone can tell it is the norm for this man.

IAmNotJeff
2008-05-30, 05:13 PM
Ista tries to remain inconspicuous, while Seth handles things.

CGCL_Andy
2008-05-31, 03:16 AM
Seth do you want to interact with this guy, or should we just assume you drop Pedram on his head, and go to the temple without asking for his help?

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-31, 08:23 PM
my internet died on me for about 2 days there, back, sorry.

Seth

Greeting the man with warmth, Seth smiles. "Nice to see you as well Hormoz. A small matter has come up, and we think you might be able to help us... He pauses. Do you have any caravans headed in the general direction of Egypt?"

CGCL_Andy
2008-06-01, 04:59 AM
"Aah to Egypt, I'm afraid no Caravan of mine will be going that way soon. But I do know a man who is sending a group to Egypt. They will be leaving next week, hopefully that's not too late for you. I'm sure they will be happy to have a group of people comfortable with the sward with them. The roads aren't all that safe these days. My last Caravan coming from Constantinople got attacked 3 times in 2 days and if it wasn't for the extra guard I had send with them nothing would've arrived...." Hormoz again goes on a tangent until Seth stops him to continue the conversation.

I'm assuming you walked to a quieter place maybe to his store to have this conversation, as opposed to out in the open with everyone else listening.