PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors...for Gary

Crow
2008-03-05, 05:01 AM
I am very saddened by the death of a man who I never knew. I have Mr. Gygax to thank for countless hours of entertainment, and quality time spent with good friends, past and present.

Next session, our group is going to roll up some characters and take on the Tomb of Horrors as a prelude to our normal game.

We're only sending in one group (no backup characters). It will very likely be a very short tribute to the man, but in that, it would certainly be fitting. So who else wants to run The Tomb in this man's honor?

SoD
2008-03-05, 05:06 AM
I will also run Tomb of Horrors. And will certainly post the details: there will be six characters (one a DMPC, so he'll be first to go).

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-05, 05:29 AM
I would, if I had any idea of where to get the thing.

I suppose tracking down the AD&D rulebooks wouldn't hurt, either...

raygungothic
2008-03-05, 05:36 AM
Good idea. If only I had four dedicated tactical dungeoneers I would love to do the same.

I'm sad now.

Oh, and lumberofdabeast - an official 3e updated version is free on the web at
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b

Surfer99
2008-03-05, 05:55 AM
Id been looking forward to do tomb of horrors for a while before my group broke. I think next saturday i will force ask my group to play tomb of horrors it will be the 3.5 edition I hope Gary dont mind.

A sad day for many

SoD
2008-03-05, 06:17 AM
Same here, the party will be (if I can convince them) comprised thusly:

Paladin Halfling (DMPC, first to go)
Wizard Human
Shaman Elf
Warlock Kobold
Scout Dwarf
Warmage Gnome

All 14th level.

Why? Why not?

AslanCross
2008-03-05, 06:19 AM
I just downloaded the 3.5 update recently. I might give it a go.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-05, 06:29 AM
Awesome idea :smallbiggrin: Will be good to wake up my players.

Snow
2008-03-05, 12:55 PM
I'm at the moment making a few changes on it to use it on a warcraft campaing I'm running. Warcraft characters can stand up to more chalenging things that normal D20 characters and I want to show my party that the character sheet means nothing without wits. In honour of Gary Gygax I will show my players what a REAL dungeons feels like.

We owe a lot to him, I hope wherever he is running a campaing his players are having fun.

lumberofdabeast
2008-03-05, 08:10 PM
Good idea. If only I had four dedicated tactical dungeoneers I would love to do the same.

I'm sad now.

Oh, and lumberofdabeast - an official 3e updated version is free on the web at
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b*downloads*

*reads*

*twitches*

SilentNight
2008-03-05, 08:17 PM
Am downloading it right now. I'll do it of I can convince my power-gamer to play below 13th level. The Horror:smalleek: .

Fawsto
2008-03-05, 08:58 PM
I just downloaded it... I will read and Pay my tribute.

Hail Master Gary. The first DM ever.

The Extinguisher
2008-03-05, 09:02 PM
I plan to.
Or at least, I plan to bug my group about it until they give in.

Jayngfet
2008-03-05, 09:09 PM
I plan to hunt down the tomb of horrors at tthe very least.

Matthew
2008-03-05, 09:18 PM
Heh, heh. All those who venture in (whether the AD&D 1e Tomb of Horrors, the AD&D 2e Return to the Tomb of Horrors or D20 Tomb of Horrors and regardless of system), let us know how you fare!

cintain
2008-03-05, 09:22 PM
I have the 3.5 update, a present from a friend that I thought I'd never use. I'll try to convince my players to give it a go as well.

I have always admired Gary Gygax and his work. I have always considered him a personal hero and role-model. My sincerest condolences to his family and close friends, and to everyone who, like me, wished that I had such a cool name, and such a cool idea for a game :smallbiggrin:

Requiescant In Pacem, Gary Gygax.

Abjurer
2008-03-05, 09:32 PM
My group's going to spend a day in the Tomb. It'll likely be our last.
To die within the creation of such a great man will truly be an honor.
Even if he's looking down at us laughing when we fall for all his traps.

Jayngfet
2008-03-05, 10:23 PM
anyone got a link to a sight that has a free update of the tomb of horrors, or a site that sells it?

EDIT: never mind (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a)

JiveTurkey
2008-03-05, 10:31 PM
I told one of my gaming friends I was breaking out my first ed books and my copy of S1 and he ran away screaming.

Too bad Comeliness doesn't actually do anything to Acererak, as it was one of my more favorite of the optional rules from Unearthed Arcana.

Matthew
2008-03-05, 10:39 PM
anyone got a link to a sight that has a free update of the tomb of horrors, or a site that sells it?

In case anyone else is after the earlier versions, you can download them from RPGNow. I think they're about $5 each or something. They're probably cheaper at Paizo

Tomb of Horrors (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=17063&it=1)

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/s1-alt.jpg
http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/s1.jpg

Return to the Tomb of Horrors (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=17473&it=1)

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/tm/tm-tomb.jpg

Hmmn. Those are some mighty big pictures...

LibraryOgre
2008-03-05, 10:45 PM
My Systems Failure game isn't going to happen on Saturday, so I'm going to run "The Village of Hommlet" for them... after playing D&D on Friday night.

Swordguy
2008-03-05, 10:54 PM
The heck with it - I'll run 'em through S1 at the next session.

Ranis
2008-03-05, 11:36 PM
I downloaded and pulled a group together to run ToH this coming wednesday due to spring break. Updates on how many characters they go through will come around that time.

Shishnarfne
2008-03-06, 12:00 PM
Actually, I'd already been planning on running a bunch of people (probably multiple groups) through the Tomb for a while (ever since I had the joy of losing a character in it)... This makes it even more time-appropriate.

Expectation: at least one character suffers from a no-save trap (not necessarily death, but a no-save trap) in each group.

shaddy_24
2008-03-06, 02:43 PM
I downloaded it recently, and I've been looking over it and realizing that my group wouldn't have a chance at survival. Not only is it lethal, but none of us have the experience necessary to get past some of the rooms. We've only been playing for about 2 years, some less. So unfortunitally, I think it has to go onto the back burner for now. But make no mistake, that module will come into play sometime.

xjermx
2008-03-06, 02:59 PM
I sure wish that it was in the public domain. For those of us without the original D&D one, is the 3.5 one similar enough to the old one that we could reverse engineer it, and run a group of D&D characters through it, using the 3.5 printout?

Deadmeat.GW
2008-03-06, 03:28 PM
My group is running through it atm, sofar two rooms and no dead yet...

Luck is all, of the four players 1 has played it in first edition, 3 never done it and know nothing about.

And the player who has done it almost got the whole party killed ;).

talltwin36
2008-03-06, 03:42 PM
I played it when it first came out. If you use 6-8 characters of 9-11th level (1st edition) you will be lucky if 1 person survives.

This dungeon is a death trap incanate.

msquared

Renegade Paladin
2008-03-06, 03:48 PM
I'm in. Going to run this on Saturday.

Jayngfet
2008-03-06, 03:53 PM
well, I got my group to agree to do it, one guy has done it before, the others have heard of it, the best part of DMing is going to be watching them honor the mans creation.

Matthew
2008-03-06, 04:42 PM
I sure wish that it was in the public domain. For those of us without the original D&D one, is the 3.5 one similar enough to the old one that we could reverse engineer it, and run a group of D&D characters through it, using the 3.5 printout?

As I understand it, the 3.5 version is somewhat more survivable. Still it's only $4-5 to spring for the original in pdf form if you want the 'real' experience.

nobodylovesyou4
2008-03-06, 05:03 PM
i would totally go, but im not going without redos. it makes it a waste of 10 minutes without, honestly.

Swordguy
2008-03-06, 06:35 PM
As I understand it, the 3.5 version is somewhat more survivable. Still it's only $4-5 to spring for the original in pdf form if you want the 'real' experience.

Grrr...can't find my original copy. You have a link to the PDF?

Matthew
2008-03-06, 06:42 PM
Sure.

Paizo: S1 Tomb of Horrors (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast/aDAndD1/greyhawk/v5748btpy7me0) ($4.00) [Green Cover, 4th printing, I believe].

RPGNow: S1 Tomb of Horrors (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=17063&it=1) ($4.95) [Same printing as above]

Wizards: S1 Tomb of Horrors (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a) ($0.00) [D20 version]

Icewalker
2008-03-06, 08:13 PM
I really want to play Tomb of Horrors, partially because all I know about it is that it kills you, a lot. And apparently there is a sphere of annihilation and that I shouldn't look into any statues' mouths.

Does anybody want to run a ToH game, 3.5, as a pbp?

Gaiwecoor
2008-03-06, 08:45 PM
Excellent - I've gotten some of my group to agree to a special session tomorrow (Friday) night. There'll only be three players, but I've told them to have backup characters on hand :smalltongue:

Swordguy
2008-03-06, 09:24 PM
Sure.

Paizo: S1 Tomb of Horrors (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast/aDAndD1/greyhawk/v5748btpy7me0) ($4.00) [Green Cover, 4th printing, I believe].

RPGNow: S1 Tomb of Horrors (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=17063&it=1) ($4.95) [Same printing as above]

Wizards: S1Tomb of Horrors (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a) ($0.00) [D20 version]

Sweeet.

Thanks man.

Vampslayer
2008-03-06, 11:15 PM
Oh im so in. I just started expedition to undermountain. here's what Ill do. in some random dungeon room, the doors slam shut, the room quickly fills with gas, and the Unsuspecting sods will conk out. When they awaken they will be in different bodies, with different stuff.. in a different place entirely. Perhaps survivors/survivor will carry back some xp. any feedback on this idea?

xmolder
2008-03-07, 03:56 AM
I'm doing the same thing this Saturday. I get the feeling the party may not even get past the green skull.

LibraryOgre
2008-03-07, 04:03 AM
Turns out I can't find my copy of the Village of Hommlet. No clue where it went. So I'm warming up the Keep on the Borderlands.

Gaiwecoor
2008-03-08, 04:20 PM
A'right - Here's how it went.

We decided to run this thing as a one-shot deal, using the 3.5 update. Everybody rolled their stats using the straight 3d6 in order method.

The went 40 feet into the tomb, and took a right. When the four-armed gargoyle knocked the barbarian/fighter down to 17 HP in a single round 40 feet later, they bolted. Distance-wise, that wasn't even down to the green statue.

Swordguy
2008-03-08, 11:21 PM
I call hax!

Running my players through ToH as their introduction to 2nd Edition. They're fully half-way through it using the pregen PCs in the back of the S1 book. The tally? ZERO deaths.

They've been incredibly brilliant in avoiding traps, deciphering the scenario, and figuring out what goes where. I'd say they read the adventure in advance or played it previously...except that I didn't tell them what we were playing until the night started and I know for a fact that not a one of them has played ToH before.

Devil-mouth? Passed. Archway? Passed. False entrances? Took 10 minutes and not a single hp of damage among them. Heck, the only thing they HAVEN'T gotten was sacrificing the gems for the gem of true-seeing in the teleport destination chamber. We ended the night with them backtracking and going through the red sphere to the room of 3 chests...and they aced it. Perfectly. Turned the Giant Skeleton and dropped it in 2 rounds, set up a perimeter for the snakes, and telekinesis'd the box with the ring out of the chest.

I'm telling you. Hax.

Sornas
2008-03-09, 01:59 AM
I have the 3.5 update, a present from a friend that I thought I'd never use. I'll try to convince my players to give it a go as well.

I'm not gonna convince my players of anything.

"Hey guys, we are gonna have a bit of an aside before game this week, if you could come to game with new, 9th level characters, I would appreciate it.

Sent the email a little earlier, and that's all they're getting. :smallamused:

GutterRunner
2008-03-09, 05:58 PM
We did this tonight, and it went well. Ran it for 9 players, classes being a cleric, wizard, monk, and 3 fighters and 3 rogues! Brought together people who I haven't roleplayed with for a while, as well as those I game with every week, and it's also given me some ideas on how to make my own campaign games more fun. Pleanty of people fell into pits and almost died (one fighter started pulling the levers he found at random...), and the Statue would have gotten someone if it hadn't been hinted at in the tribute comic. Was diapointed when they found the real entrance first though :smallfrown: And I think I did something wrong because they all want to continue next week :smallsmile:

Thanks for the game Gary, both this one and everyone I've played in my 7 years as a role-player.

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-10, 05:28 AM
Ah, we're looking at running this one affter the Easter break - should be fun, as 2 out of four players are total newbies, and one of thems genuinely chaotic neutral in real life. I'm going to play a monk, for survivability.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-10, 06:16 PM
Okay, I ran it for 3 player with 9th level characters.
1 elf wizard, 1 cleric dwarf, 1 half-orc barbarian (the same group that is playing another game I'm running).
The guy playing the wizard... doesn't know how to play one. He didn't even knew how bracers of armor worked, didn't cast any spell before entering the tomb, and no one in the group remembered to buy a cape of resistance.
Spoiled for anyone that plans to play it as a player.

1st scene: False door 1. Everyone enters, the half orc opens the door, everyone fails the save. The party takes over 50 points of damage. The wizard dies. The cleric and barbarian survive their massive damage check.

2nd scene: False door 2. The cleric goes first. I missread some things, and start to describe the sliding wall and lowering ceiling traps, but I'm reminded that the dwarf can detect stop traps with DC above 20 like a rogue, so I allow him to escape (damn!)
We "rewind" the game, and the cleric warns the barbarian of the trap, so, remembering what happened to the wizard, they spend some time trying to avoid the trap, and find the door is false. They loot the wizard's body, use his corpse to test the trap, and then go back to town to buy some new itens (like capes).

We ended there. Next game my friend that played the wizard will play a paladin that he's more used to playing.
We didn't play much because we spent too much time talking nonsense, and making jokes about the traps and how the character would react ("if the cleric die here, my character will flee and not come back") :smalltongue:

Ranis
2008-03-11, 11:38 AM
So I'm looking at ToH because I'm going to run it tomorrow, anyone have any advice for me as a DM? Don't forget to spoilerize anything that people may not want to know until they experience it.

Eorran
2008-03-11, 12:10 PM
I recently DM'd Tomb of Horrors (D20 version) for 3 level 12 PCs: a Warlock, a Rogue/Dungeon Delver, and a Psychic Warrior (DMPC).
Despite dire warnings, it was exceptionally easy. The rogue could find most traps on a roll of 1, and the Warlock had Devour Magic, so could dispel/suppress any magic effect, eventually. (Taking 20 on a dispel check, priceless.) The PsyWar was just there for the 2 or 3 times someone had to get hit. The last fight is the only thing they had trouble with, but by then everyone was ready to quit for the day.

Advce for DMing: Allow Search checks for one continuous surface, or until something is found. Otherwise, the game would grind to a halt, because they really would roll search for every square in the dungeon.
If you can find a way to make trapfinding more interesting, that would be great.

Ranis
2008-03-11, 05:29 PM
Ah, very nice. Anyone else have a suggestion?

alchemyprime
2008-03-11, 09:12 PM
I'll be running ToH, and we already were going to do ToEE.

And I'm starting a new tradition. We all play 1e on July 27th. I figure we should use his birthday for Gary Gygax Day, instead of MArch 4th.

Zeal
2008-03-11, 10:26 PM
I ran Tomb of Horrors last weekend as a tribute to Gygax.

It was unanimously regarded as the worse session to date.

Crow
2008-03-11, 10:32 PM
I ran Tomb of Horrors last weekend as a tribute to Gygax.

It was unanimously regarded as the worse session to date.

Yeah great. But what happened to make it the "worse session to date"?

Mad Maudlin
2008-03-12, 08:57 AM
So, I'm going to be running the Tomb for my group on sunday, and I just have one question... does anyone know how to pronounce 'Acererak'? :smallredface:

I'm thinking something like A-seer-rack?

rockdeworld
2008-03-12, 12:13 PM
I'd just say Acererack as
As - sare - er - ack

Btw, I made a lv 9 rogue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=45414) that I'd like to try against the ToH if anyone will let me join in their game.

Irreverent Fool
2008-03-12, 12:26 PM
A'right - Here's how it went.

We decided to run this thing as a one-shot deal, using the 3.5 update. Everybody rolled their stats using the straight 3d6 in order method.

Well that's just mean. 3.5 is based around the characters having 4d6 keep 3 arranged to taste.

Of course, running the Tomb at all is just mean, so I guess it's all good. Maybe your players will learn the more cautious nature of an older, simpler time. :D

Edit: I pronounce Acererack, "ACK-air-AIR-ack", but I think the "Uh-sair-er-ack" is probably the correct way.

Doresain
2008-03-12, 03:15 PM
the group i play with fears tomb of horrors too much, but i think i could convince them under the circumstances

Gaiwecoor
2008-03-12, 04:27 PM
Well that's just mean. 3.5 is based around the characters having 4d6 keep 3 arranged to taste.

I totally agree. That was originally how I planned on doing it. The players, however, insisted that we do 3d6:smallconfused: I just made sure they knew they could roll until they had passable stats :smallwink:

Ranis
2008-03-13, 09:32 AM
Ran ToH in one shot last night, a straight 10 hours of gaming.

Final bodycount: 17.
Fun had by the DM(me): way more than I probably should have been.
Disappointed PC's expecting to get through ToH with one character (even after I told them to bring 5): priceless.

The trap with the upturning floor into the lava killed them all, and two of them got spat out through the green devil's head in the main hallway of the dungeon itself. Those who were spat out (naked) thought, well, if I just go back in, I'll get my stuff back. The Sphere of Annihilation disagreed, however. The other part that got them was the illusionary room cave-in. Gygax was extremely cold-hearted and insidious when he made that dungeon.

nagora
2008-03-13, 09:45 AM
So I'm looking at ToH because I'm going to run it tomorrow, anyone have any advice for me as a DM?

Kill them. Kill them all.

Play ToH as if the creator of the tomb was your PC and the incoming party a bunch of NPCs. No mercy.

The original ToH was intended to be a killer - an extreme dungeon where the DM can let loose and not worry about game balance or what have you.

Those who have survived it will tell you that they didn't do it just by getting lucky. Those who are unprepared for it will find that the luck seems high, and those who are cautious will find that the luck is a surprisingly minor feature.

Also note that it's considerably easier for Evil characters to succeed.

nagora
2008-03-13, 09:52 AM
(Taking 20 on a dispel check, priceless.)

I don't think you can do that; I would not allow it anyway.

Tough_Tonka
2008-03-13, 12:24 PM
I was going to run the Tomb of Horrors myself, until I realies nearly ever other DM and their mother is doing the same. I bet most of you are doing the broken 3.5 update of the module as well.

That's why I'm popping out the ODnD books and running Gygax's ODnD module The Keep on the Borderlands instead.

Do you here that, that's the sound of me being a bigger nerd than you.:smallbiggrin:

Redchuck
2008-03-14, 01:32 AM
For this Saturday, I've gathered together a cross section of people I've gamed with over the years. I'm going to be running Son of the Return to the Tomb of Horrors. It's based on the 3.5 update, but the plot is that Greyhawk has been sold and is being redeveloped as WoW condos, and the pregen PCs are moving contractors hired to box up the Tomb and move it somewhere safe.

There's going to be a two drink minimum.

It's going to be AWESOME. ;-)

Zeal
2008-03-14, 06:41 PM
Yeah great. But what happened to make it the "worse session to date"?

I made the mistake of running it with a slash-and-hack heavy group.

Dragonmuncher
2008-03-14, 08:58 PM
I don't think you can do that; I would not allow it anyway.

Devour Magic's an Invocation, so the Warlock can use it over and over again. If the first attempt doesn't dispel, he can try again, and so on, with no penalty if he fails.

Sounds like taking 20 to me.

Mystral
2008-03-16, 04:04 PM
I ran TOH with my Group today. The Gargoyle killed them all dead. *g*

Sadly false entrance number 1 failed to kill them, but oh well.

RebelRogue
2008-03-16, 07:36 PM
I was actually considering running it to start off a relatively serious campaign with a bunch of friends this wednesday. I skimmed the 3.5 version, and while it seemed hard, didn't sound all that evil (I planned on throwing in some stuff prior to the dungeon itself, where sages or other knowledgeable people might drop off vague hints at the nastier stuff, but I'm beginning to think that's not really in the spirit of the module). Now, I'm reconsidering, as my group likes to roleplay off the cuff over deliberately planning out every damn detail (they're all seasoned players, but they like spontaneity). Besides, I don't think any of the characters they've made has the Trapfinding Class Feature... :smalleek:

Icewalker
2008-03-16, 07:55 PM
Aw, won't somebody run a pbp version? I want to try it. I can make a character focused entirely on defense, then be the only person alive, then lose in our first combat because I can't deal damage. Or, because I am made for survival, they'll send me in first and I'll die...

Quxelopqr
2008-03-16, 10:00 PM
Icewalker, someone is running one already (or rather, the adventure leading to ToH).

I tried to start up another one, but I don't have the experience to run it so while I'd love to play it, I'd need a DM.

Dr Bwaa
2008-03-22, 06:44 PM
First, I could probably run a pbp (3.5). I just finished running it with a few of my friends, three of whom are very experienced with everything and one who is terribly inexperienced. It was mainly just two guys, with the last two (one with EXP and one without) coming in occasionally. All at level 12. Here are the final statistics and some highlights:

[note: to survive in ToH, all you have to do is be a monk. you will never, ever die. ever. maybe.]

Total Deaths: 14
TPKs: 3

Highlights: The monk. Finds himself without equipment. Goes nude for awhile until he finds his partner again. Partner ties and iron pot to him as a loincloth. This is later upgraded to a skirt of 29 (live) vipers, held together by Flaming crossbow bolts through their tails, and all stuck through the rope (note: monk is immune to poison, so the vipers pose no threat to him whatsoever).

After an (almost) TPK, the monk gets clever with a couple of potions (spoiler for people who haven't read the module/don't want ideas :-p):

The party started fighting the crypt chanter without dispersing the gas first. The party: monk, arcane trickster, favored soul of Tyr.
Chanter starts singing. Everyone makes the save except the AT. Favored soul starts casting (meaning he's not holding his breath anymore). Fails his fort save, becomes confused, flees the room at top speed, out the door into the 100-foot pit trap, death from massive damage. Monk is now the only one able to do anything, Ki Blasts the chanter (misses due to concealment). AT fails his second save and starts taking level drain. Monk tries to fight the thing, doesn't do it fast enough and AT dies and is resurrected two rounds later as a chanter. Monk flees; chanters materialize in front of him (well, one does) as he's jumping the pit, so he falls, takes damage from 30 feet of fall (slow fall). He then wall-jumps out of the pit (his jump check is about +40) and take the stoppers out of a couple potions of cure serious, and ties a rope around his head to hold them in his ears. The chanters are now worthless, and he eventually kills them (since they need a natural 20 to hit him with their touch attack).

Meat Shield
2008-03-23, 02:31 PM
For this Saturday, I've gathered together a cross section of people I've gamed with over the years. I'm going to be running Son of the Return to the Tomb of Horrors. It's based on the 3.5 update, but the plot is that Greyhawk has been sold and is being redeveloped as WoW condos, and the pregen PCs are moving contractors hired to box up the Tomb and move it somewhere safe.

There's going to be a two drink minimum.

It's going to be AWESOME. ;-)

Dude, we soooooo need to hear about how that one went. Feel free to change the names to protect the innocent though.

Hawriel
2008-03-25, 04:57 PM
Well this past saterday My friend ran tomb of horrores for us. Just three friends and four characters. 1st edition. No cleric. Are first fatality was in the very first fals entrence we found. The cealing caved in, then we where attacked by two camelion like critters. The fighter/mage killed himself with his own lightning bolt. At least he rememberd not to cast fire ball in the 1 by 5 squar room. Its a good thing we had potions of healing because he was killed 4 more times. Luckaly we play so you can have till your equel to negative con befor your dead dead. We also played with random encounters. Every time one of the pets or children (both under 6) it triggered a random encounter. Thank god they all desided to run back and forth when the party was at a good choke point, also good ground to fire ball.

it was the room with three chests, one with snakes, that was at the bottom of a shoot. The wizard was in the room above alone.

We ended up fighting two giant scorpions, to umber hulks, a chimera, a beholder, and two other monsters I cant recal. Thank god for 1st edition chain lightning and fire ball. We shall continue the horror next week saterday.

Grommen
2008-03-27, 05:50 PM
Might want to point out Hawriel that I "added" the random monster encounters.

Back in the day when we gamed at my house my folks had 3 dogs and 4 cats. So the house rule was that whenever a critter came into the room we gamed in we called that our random monster encounter. We played like that for years and years.

Where we play now only had a dog and a cat. Hardly enough random encounters, or so I thought. However he has two small children. Excellent material for random encounters. So I added kids to the list of things that trigger random encounters.

I forgot we played in the kitchen.

Kids are often hungry and run to the doors to great mom when she comes home, along with the dog, and cat. The resulting monster encounter was possibly the largest single fight I have ever not planned for. Looked like something out of the Mummy returns or an x-men flick.

The gargoyle has been my personal favorite so far.

Though the visual in my mind about all those monsters and us stuck in the bottom of a room with snakes, and a giant two scimitar wielding undead, fire breathing chimeras, a beholder and some other things was truly priceless. More impressive was walking out of it only sorta killing the wizard.

O and one of Kellin's deaths was at the hands of the party thie...er assasin (we just had to point out the chart in the DMG) I think I might bring it back for our 3rd ed games :)

Perhaps I've lost my touch. hummm....

Grommen
2008-03-27, 05:53 PM
One other thing.

Tomb of Horrors (any version) is made better with the afore mentioned 2 drink minimum.

Those of you whom are legal and able to do so.

Just a suggestion.