PDA

View Full Version : D&D miniatures: proportion of cool monsters

raygungothic
2008-03-05, 09:54 AM
Hi everyone, hope this is the right forum for this.

I finally gave in to curiosity and bought some of those randomised D&D minis to see what they were like. Picked up two packs, Blood War.

I notice that the humanoids are almost all poor quality, while the weird magical beasties are excellent and really cool-looking. The quality difference really surprised me - the monsters seem well-sculpted and well-detailed, while all the humans and kobold-sized-things are bland blobs - I can't understand how they could do so badly at one and so well at the other. Anyway, in my first pack there were three good beasties and I thought "hell yeah, I'd buy more of these". In the second, one ok-but-small-and-dull creature and the rest humanoids and I thought "well that was a waste".

Information on the frequency of "commons/uncommons/rares" is easy to come by, but information on the frequency of cute monsters seems harder to find. The monsters are the part that interests me, not the rarity. So: does anyone know what sort of proportion can be expected? Does it vary much between sets? Is it worth trying to "weigh" the packs in the hand before purchase?

Because, really, if most packs were like my first (Large Water Elemental, Howler, Ethereal Marauder) I would definitely chance a few more - while if most are like my second, no way.

Thanks.

SiukiSwordsman
2008-03-08, 03:57 AM
The size, weight, and type of the pack would definately change that outcome.
If you want them only for the the big ones, get:Giants of Legend, Aberrations,
or Unhallowed.

raygungothic
2008-03-11, 12:11 PM
Thanks SiukiSwordsman, that was the sort of info I was looking for. Might have a go at a couple of Unhallowed or similar and try to pick the heavy packs...

Raging_Pacifist
2008-03-17, 10:24 PM
One thing you could do is gather up eight of your human minis, their plastic and cards, put them in an empty box then measure them. Them take your scale to your local game store and buy the mini boxes that weigh significantly more than your control. That should help you find some big minis.