PDA

View Full Version : Wylder [base class] [Incantation class]

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-05, 09:29 PM
I've already made the Arcanist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67999), the Priest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67998), and the Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68250). Arcanist replaces Wizard and Sorcerer. The Priest replaces the Cleric. I like the new Bard better, it has more uses, better skillmonkey, and better SLA's. This class will replace the Druid, thus removing the D from CoDzilla. Still quite potent, but not as broken.

Wylder v1.0

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills (4 + Int Mod) X 4 at 1st level: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Incant

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Nature's Call 1 | 1

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Wild Empathy, Animal Companion | 2

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Nature's Call 2| 2

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Woodland Stride| 3

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| Nature's Call 3 | 3

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5| New Invocation (lesser) | 4

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5| Nature's Call 4| 4

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6| Trackless Step| 5

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6| Nature's Call 5 | 5

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7| Venom Immunity | 6

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Nature's Call 6, New Invocation (greater) | 7

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Multi-Aspect | 7

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8| Improved Trackless Step | 8

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9| Nature's Call 7 | 8

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Multi-Buff | 9

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10| New Invocation (greatest) | 10

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Nature's Call 8| 10

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Timeless Body | 11

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11| Nature's Wrath | 11

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12| Nature's Call 9 | 12
[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficency: As Druid, with the same restriction on non-metallic armor.

Incantations A Wylder's incantations are Spell-Like Abilities that are divine in nature (not subject to Arcane Spell Failure).

* Any Conjuration (summon) effect, or any effect which summons or creates anything (such as Pollen Cloud, Cloudkill, etc...) cannot be cast multiple times for repeat effect, any successive castings will merely replace the former casting.

Bonus Languages A Wylder automatically starts out with Sylvan and Druidic in addition to their normal language selection.

Nature's Call (Sp)
In effect, this is similar to the appropriate Summon Nature's Ally spell, except he can only have one effective at a time. A Wylder is unable to summon any Unicorn or any Genie. Remove them from the available list of creatures to be summoned. Some Incantations may be able to alter or improve the summoned being or beings. Shambling Mounds are added to Nature's Call 6, and Treants to Nature's Call 7 A Wylder is able to use a lower level Nature's Call if a lesser being is desired.

Wild Empathy A Wylder can make a diplomacy check to improve the attittude of an animal, using her level + cha mod.

Animal Companion As per wandering Druid.

Woodland Stride (Ex): A Wylder may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.

Trackless Step At 8th level, a Wylder becomes impossible to track by any means. At 13th, a Wylder may also cover his ally's tracks.

Venom Immunity A Wylder becomes immune to natural poisons and diseases.

Multi-Aspect At 12th level, a Wylder may receive benefit from multiple Aspects, up to his Wisdom mod.

Multi-Buff At 15th, a Wylder may summon creatures with Nature's Call and apply multiple Nature's Ally Buff Incantations to them, up to his wis mod.

Timeless Body Once a Wylder reaches level 18, he no longer ages and can not be aged magically. He still dies when his time is up, and gains the benefits of age, but not the penalties. Any penalties already received remain.

Nature's Wrath This ability, granted at level 19, gives the Wylder the ability to unleash the full fury of Nature. He can summon a storm, as per Control Weather, only the storm appears fully formed on the next round. Every round, as a free action, the Wylder may direct a lightning bolt, which do 10d6 lightning damage, to strike a particular target. This is a ranged touch attack that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-05, 09:47 PM
Incantations

Least Incantations

Nature's Call Buff Incantations
Magic Fang
Barkskin
Bear's Endurance
Bull's Strength
Cat's Grace
Resist Energy

Aspect Incantations
Aspect of Health (+4 enhancement to Con)
Aspect of Agility (+4 enhancement to Dex)
Aspect of Brute (+4 enhancement to Str)
Aspect of Wolverine (Rage 1/day per 5 Wylder levels)
Aspect of Claws (Natural claws do d6 for medium creature)

Other Incantations
Nature's Sense (grants bonus to Survival, Knowledge (Nature), and Wild Empathy checks)
Entangle (as Druid spell)
Faerie Fire
Obscuring Mist
Produce Flame
Chill/Heat metal (as per spell, but does d6 instead of d4 damage, and subject gets -2 penalty on all attack rolls, concentration checks, and skill checks)
Warp Wood
Shape Wood
Summon Swarm

Lesser Incantations

Greater Magic Fang
Haste
Mage Armor
Protection from Energy

Aspect Incantations
Aspect of Paws (if you have Aspect of Claws, they now do one size category larger damage, otherwise base d6 for medium race damage)
Aspect of Hide (+1 enhancement bonus to Natural Armor per 4 Wylder levels)
Aspect of the Boar (may continue to fight as normal fro -1 to -9)

Other Incantations
Poison
Call Lightning
Pollen Cloud (mechanically identical to Stinking Cloud, only one active at a time)
Sleet Storm (only one sleet storm active at a time)
Spike Growth
Wind Wall
Rebuke Plants/Animals (Similar to Rebuke Undead, only works on animals, though not magical beasts, and plant creatures)
Rusting Grasp

Greater Incantations

Animal Growth
Stoneskin (no material component)
Death Ward

Aspect Incantations
Aspect of the Talon (Increases damage from Aspect of Paw/Claw an additional size category, or grants d6 claw attack for medium size)
Aspect of the Bear (Increase base reach 5')
Aspect of Carapace (Grants DR 1/- per 5 levels of Wylder. If Aspect of Hide is taken, add 2 to the natural armor)
Aspect of the Plant (Gains Fast Healing 1/4 levels as long as he has real sunlight in natural surroundings, automatically stabilizes)

Other Incantations
Baleful Polymorph
Nature Sense (as Commune with Nature, but only takes a standard action to perform)
Insect Plague
Cloudkill
Wall of Thorns
Wall of Stone
Shape Natural Stone (may not affect already worked stone)
Creeping Doom
Control Weather
Firestorm

Greatest Incantations

Aspect Incantations
Aspect of the Dire (Increase size category one step)
Aspect of the Cat (Evasion)
Aspect of the Gorrilon (gain two additional arms)
Aspect of the Ooze (indescernable anatomy, immune to crits/precision damage)

Other Incantations
Earthquake
Repel Artifice (As Repel Metal or Stone, except it will repel any artificial or man-made item)
Reverse Gravity
Sunburst

Dryad
2008-03-05, 10:20 PM
Just some questions as to the incantation thing:
It has a number of incantations. Is this per day? I assume so. And if so, is this the number of different incantations she can cast per day, of is it the number of times she can cast an incantation per day? There is no clarity about it.

Then there are some duration problems. Some spells cast have a clear duration, while others suggest they last until she prepares a new list of choices.

Which brings us to another thing: Invocations. Are these incantations, or other spells?

Then nature's call: She can only summon one creature per day, for one round per class level? Or can she simply summon this one creature, and will it last for the day?

Durations and other casting mechanisms aren't mentioned, and as such, over half the class is simply missing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-06, 10:11 AM
I apparently did not make myself clear,

This is based on the Warlock, and uses Incantations rather than spells (I need to go back and fix that typo, thanks for pointing it out)

All incantations may be used an unlimited number of times per day, which is the strength of the class.

As for Nature's Call, A Wylder may only have one group of summoned creatures up at a time. That way he doesn't zerg the world with an infinite number of summoned creatures.

The number of incantations are the number known, rather like Sorcerer spells known, which can then be used an unlimited number of times per day.

I was trying to get the class set up and put out, and failed to clarify all this in the original post, which I will now go back and correct.

Aspect incantations have a duration of 24 hours, and are effectively always on, however until later levels, you can only have one active at a time.

Buff Incantations have the same duration as Nature's Call. In effect, you're buffing the creatures as you are summoning them.

The other incantations have their duration listed in the spell description the incantation is emulating.

In the meanwhile, you can get a much better idea of the class mechanics from the Warlock (Complete Arcane, page 5), as it uses an almost identical caster mechanic

Stycotl
2008-03-11, 02:08 AM
cool. i don't like 'greatest' as the name of the dark-equivalent invocations, but whatever. that's a fluff issue. maybe call it primal or wyld or something.

am a little wary about some of the spells being grafted into the list as is. haven't had time to read through them yet, but some of them seem kinda powerful as is. it would require a lot of time, but i would fully transfer them over into invocations as they did for warlock, changing things that need to be changed, stating level, etc. i will have to go over the list more in order to see if i am just getting suspicious over nothing.

aaron out.

Stycotl
2008-03-11, 02:12 AM
and i would give improved evasion for aspect of the cat. it is a 'greatest' invocation after all. just make it finite in duration, and maybe with a recharge or something. i dunno. i suppose that even if it were 24-hr applicable, for a character that is high level, devoting one of only 12 ivocation slots, he deserves near-permanent improved evasion.

Melayl
2009-01-05, 10:41 PM
i don't like 'greatest' as the name of the dark-equivalent invocations, but whatever.

Might I suggest True instead?

Roland St. Jude
2009-01-05, 11:32 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread is almost a year old. Please don't commit Thread Necromancy.